• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade launches Kickstarter for more podcasts (lol) [110K Funded]

MisterC20XX

There's no way this is for real. I think they're going to donate 100% of the money to charity and do the podcast anyway. I want to believe.

knkng

Pledge $2,500 or more

All rewards at $250 level and below, and choose a topic. As long as the topic is not, like, "who would win" type shit, or "ninjas" or whatever, we will discuss "your" topic during an episode of "Downloadable Content."

LOL, choose a topic? I guess, to make things fair, it should then be about $3000 a pop to read listener emails, right?

Valnen

Theyre site is popular enough. Stick a damn donate button on the page and use that to get your 10 dollars.

That is in no way morally superior to this. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything, the fans are giving them money because they want to. There's nothing wrong with that.

Do you feel bad that money isn't instead going to startups that really need it, or heaven forbid, a real charity? Clearly not. Lets get some free monay!!!

Implying those fans would have donated to charity if they didn't spend money on this kickstarter. That's a big assumption to make.

itsgreen

There's no way this is for real. I think they're going to donate 100% of the money to charity and do the podcast anyway. I want to believe.

They have already managed to get the podcast level, what you pay for is early access.

I gladly pay them 10$, and I have backed them.

I agree that isn't exactly 1:1 what Kickstarter is meant for, but for me it's me buying a set of podcast I know I want and don't want to wait two weeks for.

Also think the additional money will flow back in the PA Corp instead of directly into their pockets.

And in contrary to Susan's Kickstarter they are actually selling you something of proven quality. You are getting something for yourself and not something for a child her parents could have easily gotten.

BLunted

Banned
I have never liked these guys, but honestly, who is more guilty here? The jackasses who try to kickstart a podcast or the jackasses who actually give them money to kickstart a podcast?

I will never understand why people donate to shitty things like this or twitch, but would probably never consider donating to a charity.

I want off this planet!

Karak

yes, it is. I've produced a podcast with garageband and a $40 logitech headset.

Give me a break.

I think the main issues is also that they are proving it doesn't cost much with a 10$ goal. So there is some unique thought processes that had to go through their mind to have done that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
LOL, choose a topic? I guess, to make things fair, it should then be about $3000 a pop to read listener emails, right?

I like this one:

Pledge $1,000 or more

All previous rewards at $250 level and below, and you and a pal play through some co-op levels for an hour with us over Xbox Live. Game TBD (probably Monaco).

I dunno guys, paying $5,000 to have some random asshat from the internet write an ear-screechingly bad and awkward song about nothing seems like a wise investment of my hard earned money.

I don't see what's so suss about all this.

Soviet

Banned
For me it's not that they're asking for podcast, it's the 10$ goal. They're just making sure they'll get all the monies, which they don't really need since it costs (in their minds) only 10$.

I hope it's a joke of some kind and I can't really see how Kickstarter allowed it to happen.

Enco

This is bad but the $10 goal makes it an outright con.

Fucking :lol

First Susan and now this.

edit: also lol at people who really REALLY believe that they need a fucking kickstarter for a podcast.........

itsgreen

I think the main issues is also that they are proving it doesn't cost much with a 10$ goal. So there is some unique thought processes that had to go through their mind to have done that.

I think that has more to do with the fact they are doing it anyway, just want to offer the chance to crowdfund PA Corp some more. Nothing wrong with that.

Tunavi

Banned
Seems like a play on one of their comics...

i-FKNNKxh-950x10000.jpg
Irony at its finest

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Believe me, PA can take a long walk off a short pier, but I really don't know why people on the internet care about how strangers spend their money.

Wouldn't a donation page on their site have served the exact same purpose?

Why spend some arbitrary amount of money in the hopes you'll get it back when you can raise the money first and know exactly how much money to spend?

If they raise enough money they can do more with this project (hire more people, buy more work-for-hire elements, buy better equipment) to make it a higher-quality project. Otherwise they're incentivized to keep costs down because they don't know how much they'll get back on it.

Also they don't have to constantly ask for donations or try to sell ads against each episode. This is a better plan in every way. The risk for backers is de minimis: these podcasts WILL get made. The only thing that could go wrong is the P-A offices disappear into a sinkhole.

Rapstah

The existence of Child's Play and the permanent link that has on the top of their site probably makes it difficult for them to have an outright donation button.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
$10 goal is just fucking slimy. It's them flat out saying that they don't need the money. They are just asking for fucking donations at this point.

A bit different, I'd say. Those guys stated their goal was to rent out a studio and buy equipment to get the podcast up and running. They also aren't ultra-successful web personalities with lots of money.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Penny Arcade is supposed to the be part of the 'good guys' team! :D

Setting the goal at $10 is kind of sketchy but doing a kickstarter for a podcast has been done many times.

I'm also curious to see where everyone is getting their information on PA's supposed wealth. Yes, PAX is popular, but PA also runs a major charity and for all we know, most of their profits could be going there.

Valnen

This is bad but the $10 goal makes it an outright con.

Fucking :lol

First Susan and now this.

edit: also lol at people who really REALLY believe that they need a fucking kickstarter for a podcast.........

In order for it to be a con they'd have to be deceiving people. They're not.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
$10 goal is just fucking slimy. It's them flat out saying that they don't need the money. They are just asking for fucking donations at this point.

From wikipedia:

Both Krahulik and Holkins make a living from Penny Arcade, placing them in a small group of professional webcomic artists devoted to their creations full-time. Originally, like many webcomics, Penny Arcade was supported solely by donations.

I don't see how this is a big deal.

Top Bottom