• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years on, am I the only one who feels like Quake never got a proper sequel?

Quake II felt like a sequel in name only. From gothic horror to sci-fi was a change I never really liked. It played more or less the same despite things like having to time rocket jumps better, but it was not the same.

It would be nice to get a proper sequel to Quake I after Doom 2016, or even a full blown reimagining.

Fuck the haters. Quake 2 was awesome.

Quake 2 was probably the premier first person shooter in the world until Unreal and Half Life came out the next year. An infinitely better designed and structured singleplayer campaign than the stitched together with wire and bubblegum one of the original, but a somewhat inferior multiplayer.

Nokterian

Quake 2 was the first game playing with my Voodoo 1 graphics card..it was a revelation. I really like it also in MP.

Quake 3 still being the GOAT in movement,no other surpassed it ever since. The new Quake Champions? I just don't know it doesn't look Quake or feels like Quake at all.

wipeout364

Quake 2 and quake 3 were both amazing. I have far more hours played in them then quake 1. I agree quake 1 has a very original art design but when people constantly complain about companies regurgitating games for sequels it's weird that the OP and many on gaf are complaining about the very risky approaches to sequels that quake 2 and quake 3 were. Quake 2 went full on sci fi with a much more robust multiplayer component while Quake 3 went sci fi, gothic, and horror in art design and totally dumped single player. This is what people are always asking companies to do nowadays and this was arguably the biggest franchise in PC gaming at the time.

Edit: Quake 4 is intentionally left out of the conversation as it was quite forgettable, it was ok for what it was but did not deserve the Quake branding.

I don't think a proper sequel to Quake 1 is possible. It's too much of a product of its own troubled development; there is no consistent style for a sequel to latch onto.

quake's textures are in a lowpoly style that will look bad with any kind of texture filtering, the same goes for doom

Yep, makes sense. My dad had a 486 66 when I first got Quake. It ran... Painfully. But when he upgraded to a Pentium 200 hot damn it ran like butter! It wasn't until a few years later when we got a Pentium 600 that I finally entered the graphics accelerator age. Quake 1 at least was really designed with no consideration for GL as far as I can tell.

I've just never really enjoyed Quake II because of the aesthetic and level design style. It's an okay game, but Quake 1 and 3 respectively nail the SP and MP aspects of the series so well that QII feels like it's unnecessary.

Also, it's called Quake II because it was actually going to be a new IP (like how Quake succeeded Doom) with a new name (which IIRC has never been publicly revealed) that turned out to be copyrighted by another company, so after trying to think of a new title they gave up and decided to just call it Quake II even if it only superficially resembled the original in certain ways.

petran79

Banned
Nah quake 2 was generic scifi, quake 1 was something more down and dirty, more interesting.

I also think quake 1 looks better in software rendering, in low to mid res and on a CRT. Modern displays and 3d acceleration make it look far too clean and expose all of the low poly models, it actually looked awesome at the time.

quakeEngine.jpg

Playing computer games on a Shamrock 14" monitor was an experience from another world.

Adam_802

Quake 4 is an underrated masterpiece. Brilliant game. Cool story, enemies, weapons, locations, etc.

I want a quake 5!!!!

Izuna

Banned
Because when I think of Quake I think of lockdown arenas.

Attempt (the fact that jumping is a huge part of the game and it had quake inspired weapons...)

The more I sleep on it, DOOM was meh in comparison to Quake. Very meh.

Quake 4 is an underrated masterpiece. Brilliant game. Cool story, enemies, weapons, locations, etc.

I want a quake 5!!!!

Sorry, but the slow ass first half and turret levels make that game a dumpster

DOOM was an attempt to be Quake 1. At least, it's far more Quake than Doom itself (art aside).

And I love it for it. I told a friend its basically more like quake 1 than Doom 1993, but with the doom IP. And he was sold.

Because when I think of Quake I think of lockdown arenas.

Well those lockdown areas for me felt like a good ol Deathmatch, which is originally what they were doing with them. Before the multiplayer got handed off to the Halo multidevs.

Justinh

At least Q2 gave us the railgun
Praise be...
To be honest, who played Quake II for the campaign?
I think the most fun I have ever had in multiplayer still is Quake II with "InstaGib" or "Railarena" (I think different people called it different things) with grapple hooks. I could never get it working at my house back in the day, so I would basically just camp out at my friend's. He had faster internet anyways (before we got RoadRunner ourselves).
Also, it's called Quake II because it was actually going to be a new IP (like how Quake succeeded Doom) with a new name (which IIRC has never been publicly revealed) that turned out to be copyrighted by another company, so after trying to think of a new title they gave up and decided to just call it Quake II even if it only superficially resembled the original in certain ways.

This is interesting. I never knew this. Even though I loved Quake 2, I've always longed a new Quake campaign in the style and setting of the first, hand axe and all...

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
+1 Quake 2

OG Quake was more of a tech demo/proof of concept in my mind.

Top Bottom