• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Upsidedown Fuji
(01-28-2012, 12:50 AM)

Originally Posted by SwiftSketcher

Haven't the other plants added any additional safety measures since the disaster? I can't imagine they would still be as vulnerable as the Fukushima plants, at least I hope not.

Besides just being off? Not really. Nothings really changed. They're still in tsunami prone and active fault costal areas...

Here's an overhead image of the Hamaoka plant in Shizuoka run by Chubu Electric not Tepco.
Last edited by Upsidedown Fuji; 01-28-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Added image
PeakPointMatrix
(01-28-2012, 01:12 AM)
Well. Fuck.

Anyway, here's to hoping nothing happens.
Wubby
(01-28-2012, 01:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Upsidedown Fuji

Besides just being off? Not really. Nothings really changed. They're still in tsunami prone and active fault costal areas...

Here's an overhead image of the Hamaoka plant in Shizuoka run by Chubu Electric not Tepco.

I live a bit less than 20 miles away from Hamaoka. They are building an 18-meter-tall seawall around the plant now. Great surf in that area not far from the plant I gotta say.
Shouta
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻
(01-28-2012, 01:42 AM)
5.2, eh? Not unexpected considering how they were supposed to get aftershocks for a long time. But still, being near Fuji is a bit worrying.
dudeworld
(01-28-2012, 01:51 AM)

red = last hour
blue = last day
beige = last week

the red one is 5.6

I wouldn't really call these "aftershocks." More like "normal day on the ring of fire"
eudaemonic
(01-28-2012, 02:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Mik2121

In some 40 mins from now (9:40) on NHK there will be a talk/speech from the Japan Meteorological Agency.

Did anything happen with this?
Upsidedown Fuji
(01-28-2012, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by eudaemonic

Did anything happen with this?

I watched it and nothing new was reported. No news in this case is good news.
Dram
(01-29-2012, 03:49 AM)
http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...shima#comments

Disaster Reconstruction Minister Tatsuo Hirano told Fukushima Gov Yuhei Sato on Saturday that the central government cannot afford to pay for free medical care for children aged 18 or younger in the prefecture.

Sato had made the request when he met Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda on Jan 8. At that time, Noda responded that the health and welfare of residents in the disaster-hit region was his government’s top priority.

Hirano told Sato that it would not be possible to change the nation’s health care system to allow children in Fukushima Prefecture to be exempt from health insurance payments, NHK reported. He said that all prefectures have to be treated equally.

Clott
(01-29-2012, 04:12 AM)
I think if we knew all the large holes we have in our infrastructure we wouldn't get any sleep.
marvelharvey
(02-24-2012, 02:33 PM)
If you've got access to BBC iPlayer, they've a documentary on the disaster: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._the_Meltdown/

Lots of footage from inside the plant during the crisis and some (hidden identity) TEPCO employees speaking candidly. Before watching this, I didn't realise that for the first couple of days, the power plant's control room/monitoring equipment was running off of car batteries taken from staff vehicles.
Meadows
(02-24-2012, 02:38 PM)
YES!

BBC up in this biatch!

I love when the BBC does after the fact documentaries. Everyone should go and watch the one on US-Russia relations, it's amazing.
Meadows
(02-24-2012, 03:05 PM)
Fuck! They got Naoto Kan on?

This seems unmissable.
marvelharvey
(02-24-2012, 03:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Meadows

Surprised me too, well done the BBC for getting him on.
Manos: The Hans of Fate
Banned
(02-24-2012, 03:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Meadows

This seems unmissable.

General rule is that BBC or Frontline Docs have that ability somehow.
PeakPointMatrix
(02-24-2012, 09:52 PM)

Originally Posted by marvelharvey

If you've got access to BBC iPlayer, they've a documentary on the disaster: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._the_Meltdown/

Lots of footage from inside the plant during the crisis and some (hidden identity) TEPCO employees speaking candidly. Before watching this, I didn't realise that for the first couple of days, the power plant's control room/monitoring equipment was running off of car batteries taken from staff vehicles.

Damn it, UK only :/
isamu
OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
(02-25-2012, 08:25 AM)

Originally Posted by SwiftSketcher

Damn it, UK only :/

:(

Someone put this on googleTV or youtube or something.
Upsidedown Fuji
(02-25-2012, 09:04 AM)
Region lockouts suck. I want to see that video...
Jubern
(02-25-2012, 09:36 AM)
Would love to this this too, if a kind soul could find a way for non-UK residents to watch it!
CiSTM
Banned
(02-25-2012, 09:40 AM)

Originally Posted by ElTopo

Did we have this one already ? Twenty "before and after" pictures that show what's changed since earthquake.

Pretty cool pictures. NYT had good article about rebuilding of smaller villages and problems it has started to create.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/wo...pagewanted=all
ToastyBanana
(02-27-2012, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Jubern

Would love to this this too, if a kind soul could find a way for non-UK residents to watch it!

Here it is on ze Chinese youtoobs. Might be slow to stream but I'm pretty sure it won't get taken down :p
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzU3ODE3NjI0.html
DieH@rd
(02-28-2012, 12:31 AM)

Originally Posted by marvelharvey

This is a must watch. For those outside of UK, use bbc-player.com. I just saw it without a problem.