• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Linkhero1

Starchasing said:
The wadunisntaller got merged into the installer.... so its two in one...

you put the wad on the /wad directoria

select it with the + key to install

after that select the same wad with - key to uninstall it

more questions??? :)
Thanks. That's all
for now :)

Linkhero1

More questions before I go any further. xD

Okay so now I'm trying to install Homebrew Channel. It says that I have Wii System Menu version 353 (v22 USA). It hasn't been tested either, so will this cause any problems?

Linkhero1 said:
More questions before I go any further. xD

Okay so now I'm trying to install Homebrew Channel. It says that I have Wii System Menu version 353 (v22 USA). It hasn't been tested either, so will this cause any problems?

Once you install the Homebrew Channel, no menu updates will be able to delete it (for now)

Linkhero1

Death_Born said:
Once you install the Homebrew Channel, no menu updates will be able to delete it (for now)
So if I intend on uninstalling it I just use the Wad Uninstaller?

I'm confused with all these channels lol.

That i never thought of since i never intended to uninstallit :D

but i would not worry much nintendo... im sure they will do nothing.... i know stories of people who have sent their soft modded wiis to reapir and came back with the hbc

Linkhero1

Starchasing said:
That i never thought of since i never intended to uninstallit :D

but i would not worry much nintendo... im sure they will do nothing.... i know stories of people who have sent their soft modded wiis to reapir and came back with the hbc
I'm not worried actually. The team will probably resolve any issues that come up in future updates. :D Installed Homebrew Channel and have GeckoOS ready. This was way easier than downgrading a PSP :lol

Linkhero1 said:
I'm not worried actually. The team will probably resolve any issues that come up in future updates. :D Installed Homebrew Channel and have GeckoOS ready. This was way easier than downgrading a PSP :lol

and You have done the hardest part lol

Linkhero1 said:
Not really. The hardest part is waiting for Tatsunoko vs Capcom :lol

hehehe

now be careful with the wad you use.... some badly done can get you a brick.... just stay awat from the ovscure ones and always knbow your source

Linkhero1

Starchasing said:
hehehe

now be careful with the wad you use.... some badly done can get you a brick.... just stay awat from the ovscure ones and always knbow your source
I'm not into the homebrew scene that much so I'm just going to use it for imports :D

I'll always ask before installing anything and will do as you instructed.

Thanks again guys.

markatisu

Just noticed that there was an update to Gecko since the last time I ran the Wii Homebrew Browser

I love that thing, you just start it up and it will tell you if an app has been released or updated and it takes care of the installation

crispyben

Hi guys, I'm looking to install this Gecko thing to run US games on my PAL Wii without the Freeloader, can somebody point me to a step by step tutorial for a noob like me? Thanks.

I have TP, I know it involves installing the Homebrew Channel, but the whole picture just doesn't come together for me...

CrisKre

i have a question:

when trying to do the twilight hack, do i need to transfer my zelda file to the sd card and add the file from my computer onto those saved files? also, once the hombrew channel is downloaded into my wii, the apps run from my sd card, correct? if i wanna get geckoos to work i have to do so from the sd card with that application?

Threi

notag
CrisKre said:
i have a question:

when trying to do the twilight hack, do i need to transfer my zelda file to the sd card and add the file from my computer onto those saved files? also, once the hombrew channel is downloaded into my wii, the apps run from my sd card, correct? if i wanna get geckoos to work i have to do so from the sd card with that application?
Copy your existing TP save file from Wii to SD to computer, Copy the TP hack to sd to wii, and when you are finished delete the TP hack and copy back your existing save.

TunaLover

markatisu said:
Just noticed that there was an update to Gecko since the last time I ran the Wii Homebrew Browser

I love that thing, you just start it up and it will tell you if an app has been released or updated and it takes care of the installation

I think that's the unnoficial Gecko OS Backup Loader, by Wiigator, based in the Gecko OS
(?)

TunaLover

crispyben said:
Hi guys, I'm looking to install this Gecko thing to run US games on my PAL Wii without the Freeloader, can somebody point me to a step by step tutorial for a noob like me? Thanks.

I have TP, I know it involves installing the Homebrew Channel, but the whole picture just doesn't come together for me...

<Format your SD with the Panasonic Formater> (it allow read file from your SD card faster)

-First step install the TP hack
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack

-Second install the Homebrew Channel
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

<Important: copy the Homebrew Channel (boot.dol or boot.elf file) to the SD root FIRST, when the TP Hack run it will search for the Homebrew Channel file>

-Third install whatever app you want through the Homebrew channel
I highly recomend you read carefully how instal the Homebrew Channel first, GeckoOS is just an application (like many others) that can be read through the Homebrew channel.
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GeckoOS

CTLance

crispyben said:
Don't sweat it. The wiibrew wiki has a nice step-by-step walkthrough (and the file), but if you don't want to go there:

You'll need:
One freshly formatted (aka empty) SD card - don't use a SDHC, the Wii can't read it!
One SD card reader/writer attached to ...
One PC connected to the net
One Wii (without any Gamecube memorycards inserted)
One copy of Twilight Princess
Basic understanding of stuff (Wii: managing savegames, PC: unpacking files, correctly unmounting flash drives, copying of files)

Hassle-free windows-only easy mode:
Go here. Follow these instructions and you're as good as done. Just don't erase the "apps" folder after you finish, since the homebrew browser sits there.

For everyone else (OS agnostic):

------START------

Step one (Wii):
Copy your original TP save to the SD card. If you don't have one, make one in the game. We just need to have had a TP savegame on the system once for technical reasons.

Step two (Wii):
Delete the TP savegame off the Wiis internal flash memory.

Step three (PC):
Take the SD card to your PC and copy the "private" folder on your SD card to your computer and keep it safe - your precious savegames are in there somewhere!

Step four (PC):
Delete the "private" folder off your SD card.

Step five (PC):
Acquire the Twilight hack zip file (e.g. at the wiibrew wiki or the hombrew channel site) and unpack it somewhere.
At the time of writing the file is called "twilight-hack-v0.1-beta1.zip".

Step six (PC):
Acquire the Homebrew channel and unpack it somewhere.
At the time of writing the file is called "the_homebrew_channel-beta_8.tar.gz".

Step seven (PC):
Copy the "private" folder from the TP hack to your SD card.
Copy the Homebrew channel boot.dol (or boot.elf, doesn't matter) file to your SD card.
Look at your SD card. Its only contents are now:
One folder with the label "private" with a bunch of subfolders and files
One file called "boot.dol" (or "boot.elf")
Step eight (USA ONLY):
Look at your TP disk. Write down/memorize your version string which is on the inner circle of the data surface. It looks like this:
RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA
RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA

Step nine (Wii):
Insert the SD card into your Wii and copy the TP hack savegame from the SD card to your Wiis internal memory.
There are two or three savegames available, one for EU, one for Japan and one for the USA - so copy the correct one.

Step ten (Wii):
Start Zelda TP and go to the load savegame screen.
EU/JP: There will be only one savegame available, so load that.
USA ONLY: You will find two savegames. Remember Step eight? If you have the 0A-0 version of TP, load the Twilighthack0 savegame, otherwise use the other savegame​
You will start a seemingly normal game of TP. Walk towards the camera until you change the area, or talk to the guy in front of you.

Step eleven:
The screen will go black and a bunch of text will appear. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Installing the HBC only takes a moment, and afterwards your Wii has to reboot.

------FINISH------

Congrats, you're done. :D

Cleaning up
You may now safely erase the contents of the SD card and the Twilight hack savegame on your Wii.

Copy the "private" folder from step three to your SD card to be able to get your old Zelda savegame back.

What now?
After step eleven has been completed you'll have an empty homebrew channel without any apps on it. Kinda useless, eh?

To add apps:
  1. Make an "apps" folder on your SD card.
  2. Download the appropriate archive and unpack it on your PC
  3. Look for a folder containing "boot.dol" (or "boot.elf") and "meta.xml"
  4. Copy that directory into the apps folder on your SD card.

Easy peasy.
I'd recommend getting the Homebrew Browser as it makes all of that stuff hassle-free.

More PC-minded guys and gals may want to take a look at the awesome wiiload Win/Linux/OSX application included in the homebrew channel tar.gz file. It allows you to send Wii apps via the network to your Wii running the homebrew channel, so you won't ever need to do the SD card shuffle if you simply want to check out a Wii app.

TunaLover

Linkhero1 said:
So if I intend on uninstalling it I just use the Wad Uninstaller?

I'm confused with all these channels lol.

Wad manager is better, it allows install and uninstall .wad as you wish. No need of Wad installer and Wad uninstaller.

I've just read a little about AnyRegion Changer, which looks kinda useful; I haven't got any homebrew stuff installed on my Wii but being able to access any region's Wii Shop Channel appeals to me; is there any issues I should be aware of? Is it as simple as making my US Wii think it's a European and then I can buy all their stuff off VC?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
CTLance said:
nice stuff

Well, it'd be nice if RadioHead incorporated this walkthrough into the OP.

Unless he's still banned...

Thanks CT!
I'll be using your guide a lot for pointing out the HBC to my friends.

TunaLover

TheGreatDave said:
I've just read a little about AnyRegion Changer, which looks kinda useful; I haven't got any homebrew stuff installed on my Wii but being able to access any region's Wii Shop Channel appeals to me; is there any issues I should be aware of? Is it as simple as making my US Wii think it's a European and then I can buy all their stuff off VC?

mmmh, I'm not sure if AnyRegion Changer allow you download content from another region, I know it works in the same way as GeckoOS which is only an app to run imported games, it DOESN'T change the region of your Wii, it only works at Homebrew Channel level.

angelfly

TheGreatDave said:

The only thing that might be an issue for some is that before you can play anything bought from a different store you'll have to set your Wii to that region. Not a huge issue at though.

TunaLover said:
mmmh, I'm not sure if AnyRegion Changer allow you download content from another region, I know it works in the same way as GeckoOS which is only an app to run imported games, it DOESN'T change the region of your Wii, it only works at Homebrew Channel level.

You can change the region. And even go as far as installing another region firmware.

TunaLover said:

This is the demo I saw, the guy goes back and forth in the Wii Shop Channel a lot. Maybe he's just showing something else, but I want to believe :(

TunaLover

TheGreatDave said:
This is the demo I saw, the guy goes back and forth in the Wii Shop Channel a lot. Maybe he's just showing something else, but I want to believe :(

:O I see, he only change the code for the Wii Shop :lol nice, the Wii still in its native region.

But I know that Channels are region locked, you still need change your whole Wii system at Japanese region to play a japanese Wiiware/VC, just make sure to change at your native region before playing US games, a disc update could brick your console.

angelfly

TunaLover said:
:O is see, he only change the code for the Wii Shop :lol nice, the Wii still in its native region.

But I know that Channels are region locked, you still need change your whole Wii system at Japanese region to play a japanese Wiiware/VC, just make sure to change at your native region before playing US games, a disc update could brick your console.

You only need to set the game region to play the channels from other regions (takes maybe 30 seconds max).

That's more effort that I'm comfortable with, I think. I want to install the thing, get the products then remove all trace of it, in case a vengeful Nintendo chase me.

TunaLover

angelfly said:
You only need to set the game region to play the channels from other regions (takes maybe 30 seconds max).

I could try that manga comic channel =P. You know if it required high speed connection?

angelfly

TheGreatDave said:
That's more effort that I'm comfortable with, I think. I want to install the thing, get the products then remove all trace of it, in case a vengeful Nintendo chase me.

Theres no effort required. You just load it, change your region, and restart. Like I said it takes 30 seconds max in terms of turning the system on going to the channel, etc, etc.

Linkhero1

TunaLover said:
Wad manager is better, it allows install and uninstall .wad as you wish. No need of Wad installer and Wad uninstaller.
Yes it is better, but my question was regarding The Homebrew Channel. It seems that it doesn't require the Manager to uninstall and even if you delete the channel off your Wii, traces will be left that you installed it. I doubt anything will happen though.

Threi

notag
TheGreatDave said:
Well actually the guide posted is no longer necessary.

You can just download an all-in-one installer that installs the TP hack, Homebrew Channel, DVDx (for playing DVDs), and Homebrew browser.

Just run the TP hack and you are done with the hassle. After that all you need to do is just launch the homebrew browser and download the apps you want :D

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Brew_SD_Installer

CTLance said:
You'll need:
One freshly formatted (aka empty) SD card - don't use a SDHC, the Wii can't read it!
One SD card reader/writer attached to ...
One PC connected to the net
One Wii (without any Gamecube memorycards inserted)
One copy of Twilight Princess
Basic understanding of stuff (Wii: managing savegames, PC: unpacking files, correctly unmounting flash drives, copying of files)
Wiibrew SD Installer: here

Step one (Wii):
Copy your original TP save to the SD card. If you don't have one, make one in the game. We just need to have had a TP savegame on the system once for technical reasons.

Step two (Wii):
Delete the TP savegame off the Wiis internal flash memory.

Step three (PC):
Take the SD card to your PC and copy the "private" folder on your SD card to your computer and keep it safe - your precious savegames are in there somewhere!

Step four (PC):
Delete the "private" folder off your SD card.

Step five (PC):
Run the Wiibrew SD installer, save to the root of the SD card.

Step six (PC):
Look at your TP disk. Write down/memorize your version string which is on the inner circle of the data surface. It looks like this:
RVL-RZDE-0A-0 USA
RVL-RZDE-0A-2 USA

Step seven (Wii):
Start Zelda TP and go to the load savegame screen.
EU/JP: There will be only one savegame available, so load that.
USA ONLY: You will find two savegames. Remember Step six? If you have the 0A-0 version of TP, load the Twilighthack0 savegame, otherwise use the other savegame​

Step eight (Wii):
You will start a seemingly normal game of TP. Walk towards the camera until you change the area, or talk to the guy in front of you.

Step nine:
The screen will go black and a bunch of text will appear. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. Installing the HBC only takes a moment, and afterwards your Wii has to reboot.

------FINISH------

Congrats, you're done. :D

Cleaning up
You may now safely erase the contents of the SD card and the Twilight hack savegame on your Wii.

Copy the "private" folder from step three to your SD card to be able to get your old Zelda savegame back.

What now?
After step eleven has been completed you'll have an empty homebrew channel without any apps on it. Kinda useless, eh?

To add apps:
  1. Run the Homebrew Browser
  2. Download whatever you like

Easy peasy.

More PC-minded guys and gals may want to take a look at the awesome wiiload Win/Linux/OSX application included in the homebrew channel tar.gz file. It allows you to send Wii apps via the network to your Wii running the homebrew channel, so you won't ever need to do the SD card shuffle if you simply want to check out a Wii app.
fixed.

TunaLover

Linkhero1 said:
Yes it is better, but my question was regarding The Homebrew Channel. It seems that it doesn't require the Manager to uninstall and even if you delete the channel off your Wii, traces will be left that you installed it. I doubt anything will happen though.

Yeah heh, I don't know if the Homebrew Channel exist in form of wad, it should. Anyway to run Wad manager you need HBC or another loader, how can you delete HBC via HBC?

But actually it's an excellent question, if wad left traces, HBC too (theorically), even if you just delete it. Solution... Wii format? I don't think that Nintendo is so evil =( right?

Threi

notag
Also on the issue of security and quick removal:

Every application (.dol and .elf files) used by the homebrew channel are stored, run, and saved on the SD card only. Nothing is kept on the wii system memory except the channel itself. So if you are paranoid just take the SD card out and Nintendo won't know what you are using the HBC for.

As for the channel (wad file) itself Wiiware and Virtual Console games leave tickets which are accessed by the Wii shop channel to see what games are already purchased by the system. Because the Homebrew channel is a custom-made channel, no "tickets" should be installed. Removing all traces of the channel is simply deleting the channel from the system menu and taking out the SD card.

Linkhero1

TunaLover said:
Yeah heh, I don't know if the Homebrew Channel exist in form of wad, it should. Anyway to run Wad manager you need HBC or another loader, how can you delete HBC via HBC?

But actually it's an excellent question, if wad left traces, HBC too (theorically), even if you just delete it. Solution... Wii format? I don't think that Nintendo is so evil =( right?
I meant remove the file internally from the Wii not from within the Channel itself :p

I'm not sure if there is a WAD file or if this was in WAD format. I tried using the Manager but it didn't work.

Threi said:

Every application (.dol and .elf files) used by the homebrew channel are stored, run, and saved on the SD card only. Nothing is kept on the wii system memory except the channel itself. So if you are paranoid just take the SD card out and Nintendo won't know what you are using the HBC for.

As for the channel (wad file) itself Wiiware and Virtual Console games leave tickets which are accessed by the Wii shop channel to see what games are already purchased by the system. Because the Homebrew channel is a custom-made channel, no "tickets" should be installed. Removing all traces of the channel is simply deleting the channel from the system menu and taking out the SD card.

Thank you. I feel much relieved knowing this.

Threi

notag
Linkhero1 said:
I meant remove the file internally from the Wii not from within the Channel itself :p

I'm not sure if there is a WAD file or if this was in WAD format. I tried using the Manager but it didn't work.
You have to put the actual WAD file you downloaded for the homebrew channel in x:\Wad, x being your SD card drive letter.

Linkhero1

Threi said:
You have to put the actual WAD file you downloaded for the homebrew channel in x:\Wad, x being your SD card drive letter.
I understand that. I got confused earlier with the HBC. I thought you could uninstall the channel itself with the WAD Uninstaller. Homebrew apps work for me fine :p

I understand everything now. :D

TunaLover

Threi said:

So wad uninstall (in wad manager) does the same thing as the Wii system manager? I though wad left traces, thereof wad uninstaller was necessary as security mesure.

CTLance

Threi, I may be wrong on this, but IIRC the HBC does use a Title ID (I think it was HAXX, or something). So even if you delete the HBC, its entry in the Title database will remain. Plus, since Wii logs all channel activity to its whiteboard the HBC will show up there too (although not the programs executed by the HBC).

The HBC boot.dol file is a wad installer with an included wad, so you can expect all the usual traces.

Also, I added your annoyingly easy software solution to my post and linked to yours. Bah. So much typing, and all for naught. :D

Edit: gbatemp seems to agree

Threi

notag
TunaLover said:
So wad uninstall (in wad manager) does the same thing as the Wii system manager? I though wad left traces, thereof wad uninstaller was necessary as security mesure.

No no uninstalling virtual console/wiiware games from the Wii system manager leaves tickets.

As far as i understand the Homebrew Channel has NO tickets, which makes using the WAD uninstaller kind of unnecessary.

CTLance said:
Threi, I may be wrong on this, but IIRC the HBC does use a Title ID (I think it was HAXX, or something). So even if you delete the HBC, its entry in the Title database will remain. Plus, since Wii logs all channel activity to its whiteboard the HBC will show up there too (although not the programs executed by the HBC).

The HBC boot.dol file is a wad installer with an included wad, so you can expect all the usual traces.

Also, I added your annoyingly easy software solution to my post and linked to yours. Bah. So much typing, and all for naught. :D
Well it having a Title ID explains how it shows up on the Wii Logs, but would uninstalling the Title ID remove the entry from the log? I guess it is an experiment i can try later but i doubt uninstalling the Title ID from the system memory deletes the log entry as well.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is Wii's homebrew DVD player multizone? My only player is now the PS3 and I have dozens of Z1 movies I can't watch anymore.

Ramenman

Threi said:

But when the homebrew app has its own icon on the Wii's dashboard then it's saved on the Wii as a channel isn't it ?

Linkhero1

Well I think someone should come up with something that erases all traces of the HBC ever being on the Wii just in case we get major updates in the future. Too bad I suck at homebrew and stuff of the sort.

Edit: If it weren't for my Brawl save file I'd reformat my Wii when Nintendo releases an update.

Threi

notag
Ramenman said:
But when the homebrew app has its own icon on the Wii's dashboard then it's saved on the Wii as a channel isn't it ?
Yes. The Homebrew Channel IS a channel. I don't know if the icon is embedded in the .WAD file or stored on the system memory though.

Threi

notag
Linkhero1 said:
Well I think someone should come up with something that erases all traces of the HBC ever being on the Wii just in case we get major updates in the future. Too bad I suck at homebrew and stuff of the sort.

Edit: If it weren't for my Brawl save file I'd reformat my Wii when Nintendo releases an update.

There is a Homebrew App you can use to copy locked savefiles to the SD card.

Only downside is you need HBC and the app to copy it back to the system.

*edit*
@ the above app it is a little advanced so read up before you try it.

Top Bottom