• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok fellow GAFfers, the GAFfer fantomena who is banned until Tuesday and reviews games in his blog and have a good relationship with Sony Nordic PC asked me if I could send this info in here since he can't right now.

He sent this to me by Steam Chat, give all credits to him since I do not seek any attention from you, good people. I'm just helping him and being a helpful member.

Here's what he wrote:

I can tell you that I contacted Sony Nordic PR and they told me that game reviewews and journalists were recommended to buy then PS4s themself to review PS4 games. The PS4 review event which is going on now is probably an event to solve this "journalists getting sendt PS4 devices before launch problem".

It's mainly due to them still working on getting their services in order more than most of the games running well. At least on their end. 3rd parties are responsible with getting their games prime.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does SW stand for?

Software. Not like gaming SW but the OS/SW itself.

Trigger

Ok fellow GAFfers, the GAFfer fantomena who is banned until Tuesday and reviews games in his blog and have a good relationship with Sony Nordic PC asked me if I could send this info in here since he can't right now.

He sent this to me by Steam Chat, give all credits to him since I do not seek any attention from you, good people. I'm just helping him and being a helpful member.

Here's what he wrote:

I can tell you that I contacted Sony Nordic PR and they told me that game reviewews and journalists were recommended to buy then PS4s themself to review PS4 games. The PS4 review event which is going on now is probably an event to solve this "journalists getting sendt PS4 devices before launch problem".

This doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would make the Sessler want to leave the industry.

Jburton

Banned
Yeah, but that's just the word "paddy". "Throwing a paddy" is different. I think the fact that none of we Irish/Brits here seem to think it *is* a national slur says something...

I'm Irish, born and raised and no one I know would refer to themselves as a "paddy" ..... it's offensive ...... Try calling someone over here in Belfast a paddy, get your head taken off.

Also for our other poster who says its lighthearted ....... nonsense.

It's been used offensively plenty, even in the 70's a lot of places where still of the mind of no dogs, no blacks, no Irish .

bluehat9

Could it be as simple as written reviews only before launch? Didn't Gies even say Ps4 reviews would be coming soon (before this "launch event")? Is Polygon considered a "big site" that would get a ps4 over other sites?

Amused

Why would they exist? If you were an investigative journalist, you should be able to find more interesting things to investigate than the silly things that are going on in the games industry. We have a lot of critics and reporters and "pundits" because video games are basically toys. Why do people take this shit so seriously?

I guess I have already given my take on this, but this is big business - and people are spending a lot of money on it. That in itself is reason for there being someone looking after our interests as consumers. If the gaming press can´t/wont do it, who will/should?

wizzbang

Banned
In england it's literally just seen as a lighthearted nickname for someone of Irish decent. Don't get why people are taking it the wrong way.

Is that the word people are upset about? Maybe it means something else in the US or something but in Australia it fits your description, it's about as offensive as "pom".
EDIT: well there you go, I had no idea this was an offensive word. It's certainly not used in a derogatory way over here, more a fun comical one.
Yet another word to add to the PC list to remember, I'll bear it in mind, I don't like offending people.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
It's mainly due to them still working on getting their services in order more than most of the games running well. At least on their end. 3rd parties are responsible with getting their games prime.

Software. Not like gaming SW but the OS/SW itself.

I see, thanks.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Here's what he wrote:

If this whole thing is just about journalists whining about not getting a free PS4.. wow, talk about being fucking petty and spoiled. But I seriously have a hard time believing this is what Sessler is talking about, he doesn't seem the type who would raise a stink about something like that.

Iacobellis

Here's what he wrote:

Yield issues???

thuway

Now ask yourself a question- why would a journalist be pissed off about this? (Ding ding ding)

Feorax

@ManaByte: Not sure how it worked with the PS3 but when he PS2 came out SCEA DID NOT send free systems to gaming outlets. Everyone had to buy their own

@ManaByte: With the PS2, SCEA only sent systems to TIME, Newsweek, etc. Gaming sites had to stand in line for one if they wanted to review games.

@ManaByte: If there are game reviewers crying that SCEA won't give them a free PS4 they should just leave the industry because it isn't about free shit

I suppose that's fair. Anyone know what the situation with PS3 was?

I'm Irish, born and raised and no one I know would refer to themselves as a "paddy" ..... it's offensive ...... Try calling someone over here in Belfast a paddy, get your head taken off.

Also for our other poster who says its lighthearted ....... nonsense.

It's been used offensively plenty, even in the 70's a lot of places where still of the mind of no dogs, no blacks, no Irish .

they sure were. when my Grandad settled here after the war it was still fairly common. Disgusting. Thankfully it got a lot better before the end of his days.

Here's what he wrote:

Huh, so maybe the issue is that with reviewers having to buy their own consoles they can't post reviews before launch without paying for an extremely expensive devkit or going to possibly suspicious sony review day and capturing game footage as the HCHP removal isn't their on day one.

Smaller reviews maybe can't keep up if they see it as a precedent that they will maybe have to buy their own first party sony games or review it in a controlled environment. Maybe that's the issue?

Silky

Banned
Now ask yourself a question- why would a journalist be pissed off about this? (Ding ding ding)

I really hope that this isn't the case, and reviewers /are/ being pissy because of something minuscule as a free PS4. smh.

Wonder how MS is handling their review shit

Journalists not getting the PS4 sent to them before launch seems really odd to me. It sounds like Sony is ahead of the game when it comes to production.

As for games, Knack is already appearing at some EB locations. Killzone: SF has already been moved up in some listings to November 4th and COD: Ghosts will be out a day later. Most of the other launch games are due out on the 12th. Cutting it a little close if the devs can't send out review copies but I don't see much of an issue with getting reviews out.

I can't imagine that this would be so earth shattering that Sessler would want to leave the industry. Console launches have always been incredibly chaotic.

Tweet,
Marcus Beer ‏@AnnoyedGamer 7h
If I am to comment on a game or system, I need to install/ set up said product myself. Don't let me do it? I get mighty suspicious.

This seems to be the crux of it all. If they won't allow reviewers to review things in a uncontrolled environment then that's not good for anyone.

if they don't agree with only basing reviews on a controlled environment (and I don't blame them as you can't take your time and experience it properly) then why not just wait and publish after they have played the games at home after launch?

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I'll be glad when this launch is over. All this drama was fun for awhile, but now it is just meltdown after overblown meltdown. Kind of funny actually, lol.

Jburton

Banned
Tweet,
If I am to comment on a game or system, I need to install/ set up said product myself. Don't let me do it? I get mighty suspicious.

This seems to be the crux of it all. If they won't allow reviewers to review things in a uncontrolled environment then that's not good for anyone.

It's because they are not getting free PS4's.

Entitlement.

Portugeezer

Gold Member

My guess, if true, is that many of them didn't pre-order consoles (Adam Sessler still waiting for more information about each console?) and expected them to be sent.

they sure were. when my Grandad settled here after the war it was still fairly common. Disgusting. Thankfully it got a lot better before the end of his days.

We have an Irish Traveller at the school I teach. His name is Patrick but he prefers 'Paddy'.

Our Northern Irish teacher doesn't take offence to Paddy either. It's said in jest.

EagleEyes

Yeah its quite evident that both of these systems are coming in hot. A bigger deal has been made about X1 because we have an insider like CBOAT willing to dish out bad news. But Sony is also taking this down the wire with their OS and network, that much is apparent even to us outsiders lol. We haven't seen one video from either company detailing their OS's or online networks yet.

The_Monk

Just remember I'm just copying & pasting his info my good fellow GAFfers, nothing else.

He added:

"And last thing, could yo copy this to the thread: Im not worried about problems at all with this "problem". I pre-rodered my PS4 long time ago and never even planned to get one for free for Sony. I guess this whole problem going on is a problem with YouTube and not related to either Sony or MS."

If his problem is that he has to buy his own PS4 and won't be able to review before Launch I think that's not that much of a deal. Sure I would be pissed about it but that's an issue that won't influence his future career.

Silky

Banned
Tweet,

I don't think it's "won't allow reviewers to review things in an uncontrolled environment." Moreso, it's "won't allow reviewers to review things in an uncontrolled environment before everyone else."

pants

But why doesn't it exist? It certainly can.

To some extent it does. RPS and GamesIndustry.biz are good examples of different kinds of journalists. GAF's very own borman is a fine example of an investigative journalist (it clicks why I say this when you check out his stuff).

However, the people we try and hold up to the journalist standard are often not journalists to start with.

Darksol

Here's what he wrote:

After I read that he is banned I stopped caring what he had to say. What was he banned for? I'm more interested in the reason for that before I listen to what he has to say.

SJRB

Gold Member
Sessler didn't pre-order a PS4 because he assumed he would get a free PS4 form Sony, found out he won't be getting a free PS4 from Sony and now realises that, since he didn't pre-roder, he won't get a PS4 until 2014.

GG Sessler.

It's because they are not getting free PS4's.

Entitlement.

That doesn't really explain why Adam would write these tweets,

Also, I want to clarify, this has nothing to do with my employer, Revision 3 or their parent company Discovery who have been wonderful.

I'm sorry if I'm being annoying but I'm having to consider new professional avenues, it's that serious. I'm still human and scared.

This only affects myself and a handful of my colleagues who practice a particular form of coverage of the industry.

He can buy his own PS4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
When we find out what these tweets and hints are in reference to, we can have a discussion thread. At this juncture, the only thing we have to go on are vague tweets that do not provide clarity or context. As such, we have a lot of noise and very little signal. I'm locking this for now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tweet,

Regardless of everyone else's rants about saying these journalists are a little bitter about their free review units the latter about the SW and services being worked on is no reason to be upset when no one but Sony or MSFT knows when they want to have things fully working. Before launch is sure but I think these journalists are being a little bit too silly about this.

What a mess, these last few weeks are gonna be torturous with all there ambiguity and secrecy. Now we know why they don't release consoles very often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom