• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Wait! The PS4 wont allow direct capture? What is the reasoning behind this if it has built in streaming and youtube uploads?

Zornack

MXvOZ0a.png

Kevin is the one who said that stuff in the first place. So LA is basically asking "is what you said an hour ago true?"

Not to mention the stuff about development costs is BS as there is no $500 dev kit at the moment and websites have already captured footage of PS4 games.

If it has nothing to do with the Xbox why the hell would Sessler be sad about? Just record that shit on Xbox, who gives a fuck. Unless it's youtube who's putting the brakes, that would be bad.

RE_Player

Getting sick of all these vague tweets from Adam as well as other game press individuals. Be specific or don't say anything at all.

SeanNaess

Neo Member
My guess is Sony is not allowing smaller media to capture or put videos on video sites...?
I'm basing that speculation on bigger sites like IGN and Gamspot mentioning that they're going to have PS4 reviews soon.

Altho that doesn't explain why not X1 version games are under embargo til near launch, but this might be totally separate thing.

I think the X1 embargos is a different thing. All the speculation right now is mostly related to how video is captured from a particular console.

So why is only Sessler upset about this if it is a global policy change from YT or Sony?

Yeah, I heard a lot of people upset, like in waves. The thing that makes me think youtube is that Sess is clearly the most upset of them all. And he WANTS to make video. A while back I hear that if not for REV 3 he would go into corporate banking or law or something.

So, maybe he thinks if the youtube loophole is closes, he is out of it.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
My money is on EA doing something fucked up. They're always the ringleader when it comes to industry fuckery. Got to make that "Worst Company in America" badge worth something lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Wait! The PS4 wont allow direct capture? What is the reasoning behind this if it has built in streaming and youtube uploads?

Yes and No. Right now, out of the box, there's HDCP, so no one can do direct capture.

But Sony already announced they'll strip the HDCP out with a patch after launch.

njean777

Would seem really weird for sony to do this, but even if they did why not just make an actual site? They seem to have enough people subscribed.

I really like Adam Sessler. I usually agree with what he has to say 99% of the time and he seems like an all around very educated person and is well spoken when it comes to getting a point across. With that said, I will be pretty sad if he leaves the industry.

So why is only Sessler upset about this if it is a global policy change from YT or Sony?

Probably because there isn't one. Most likely he just didn't get a PS4 dev kit which allows HDMI capturing without HDCP and he doesn't know that there are cheap HDMI splitters which can easily strip HDCP.

Minions

Yes and No. Right now, out of the box, there's HDCP, so no one can do direct capture.

But Sony already announced they'll strip the HDCP out with a patch after launch.

It is easy enough to strip it yourself, and someone like Sess could easily do it. So I doubt it has to do with HDCP.

Joco

Right now this just seems like something being blown WAY out of proportion. Obviously we need to know more.

My money is on EA doing something fucked up. They're always the ringleader when it comes to industry fuckery. Got to make that "Worst Company in America" badge worth something lol

I guess I could see that but have they ever made any mention at all with their games being recorded? The only company I know for sure that does is Nintendo, if I remember correctly.

If Sony and Microsoft had issues, then why make it so easy to record on their consoles in the first place? Then again, I could be missing the entire point.

My guess is Sony is not allowing smaller media to capture or put videos on video sites...?
I'm basing that speculation on bigger sites like IGN and Gamspot mentioning that they're going to have PS4 reviews soon.

Altho that doesn't explain why X1 version games are under embargo til near launch, but this might be totally separate thing.

Doesn't make sense. Sony has been promoting the ability of literally anyone to post game content to social media with the push of a button.

Gemüsepizza;87644356 said:
Probably because there isn't one. Most likely he just didn't get a PS4 dev kit and just doesn't know that there are cheap HDMI splitters which can easily strip HDCP.

Which is in violation of federal US law, and would be massively illegal to to on a widespread scale.

jediyoshi

My thoughts exactly. Jeff is a straight shooter so if this isn't a big deal to him than it's being overblown.

Unlike GB having the umbrella of GameSpot and CBS, I doubt Discovery is as reluctant to do anything drastic with Revision3 if it came to.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I thought people could use a splitter?

As mentioned before (maybe not in this thread), that's "techinically" illegal. But yes, you can. Doesn't really matter though, because Sony is going to remove the HDCP for games anyway.

K' Dash

didnt we have a thread some time ago about PS4 footage not being possible, later debunked? even Sess talked about that on a Sessler's Something.

Would seem really weird for sony to do this, but even if they did why not just make an actual site? They seem to have enough people subscribed.

I would really love either a Youtube partnered, or independent website/App for PS4 Share. I'm surprised it hasnt already happened.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

It doesn't have component video and the launch firmware has HDCP enabled for everything. They've said they're gonna remove HDCP for games in a future update but they haven't given an ETA so the only way to direct capture till then is by using an HDCP stripper.

reKon

Banned

They have a web site. Why do people keep making comments like this, lol. It's as easy as a google search

M.Bluth

If it's restrictions on using captures of games in video reviews and whatnot...
Do journalists have any legal grounds to sue companies putting such restrictions?

It doesn't have component video and the launch firmware has HDCP enabled for everything. They've said they're gonna remove HDCP for games in a future update but they haven't given an ETA so the only way to direct capture till then is by using an HDCP stripper.
And what would the legal issues really be if they're stripping HDCP? I doubt that Sony would threaten legal action for a review site doing something that they're going to patch into their system anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom