• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Adam Sessler tweeting about being afraid and having to leave the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran Ran

Guys I'm no expert but why would Sony claim a video or use a lawsuit to stop people from making PS4 videos if they are gonna take HDCP out anyway?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Guys I'm no expert but why would Sony claim a video or use a lawsuit to stop people from making PS4 videos if they are gonna take HDCP out anyway?

You're looking at this the wrong way. The only reason to remove HDCP from the gaming side would be to allow capture to be possible. This is mostly speculation on people who think a company is going to claim the content is theres and therefore no revenue goes to the content creator.

ShadyJ

Reviewing games for a living

"Reporting" on industry happenings

Calling yourself a "journalist" and not an "enthusiast" writer.

The only person whose even remotely a journalist who is covering games is Erik Kain, he has written pieces that matter about real world issues, games journalism is a joke.

Scathing articles are never written in fear of a black ball while this generation was the shadiest money grabbing period ever.

Laieon

I really like Adam Sessler. I usually agree with what he has to say 99% of the time and he seems like an all around very educated person and is well spoken when it comes to getting a point across. With that said, I will be pretty sad if he leaves the industry.

I feel the same way. Sessler is by far my favorite journalist, I almost always agree with what he has to say. I managed to meet him in person at E3 a few years ago, and even though we only spoke for a few minutes, he seemed like a really cool guy. It would be a sad day if he moved onto other ventures.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
Kind of funny Albert doesn't need to know the resolution of games. but is totally tuned in to MS's copyright policies.

njean777

I love Sess, but sometimes he can be THE drama queen, I need to hear from another journo before I freak out.

Well it is quite apparent he has extreme anxiety, so I am not surprised he acting like it is the end of the world. Chill Adam and take a day off.

Logash

I am guessing it has to do with ps4... maybe relating to an EA game... cough... bf4... but all signs say it has nothing to do with xbox one and it is not a consumer related issue (words from sessler's replies/tweets) https://twitter.com/AdamSessler/status/394341022924165120

Then dent's words on the matter appear to be supporting my conclusions.
So sessler is thinking about career options because of a battlefield 4 issue on ps4. Hope this is a troll. I fell hook line and sinker.

Joco

My money is on EA doing something fucked up. They're always the ringleader when it comes to industry fuckery. Got to make that "Worst Company in America" badge worth something lol

This actually makes more sense to me than Sony supposedly blocking journalists from monetizing PS4 footage. Maybe a big publisher like EA or Activision agreed to some kind of exclusive deal where only one site would get to have early previews of their titles? That would cut people like Sessler out in a big way, certainly enough to make them worried about their future careers.

Although this wouldn't really explain the other cryptic tweets.

Mononoke

Banned

The only person whose even remotely a journalist who is covering games is Erik Kain, he has written pieces that matter about real world issues, games journalism is a joke.

Scathing articles are never written in fear of a black ball while this generation was the shadiest money grabbing period ever.

Read this in Smoking Man's voice.

Krakn3Dfx

If this comes down to Sessler not getting a dev kit when he wants one because Sony is loaning those kits out to actual developers who are making games for the system, then good on them.

I don't mind Sessler, but the idea of journalist entitlements that might cripple a developer's ability to get work done piss me off.

If this is some change up to their current monetization policies for journalists who want to record video, given how childish the bulk of game journalists online are these days and how quickly they are to follow the money before providing honest coverage, I tend to be even more indifferent to their plight of running banker's hours, dicking around most of the day, expecting to pay the rent that way, and then balking when they get called on it.

Bishop89

if this was a huge issue, then why havnt other ppl come out and say something similar. either way, it doesnt affect us consumers at all

soultron

Banned

This post is completely dismissive of people like Jason Schreier and Patrick Klepek who do proper investigative reporting.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, I heard a lot of people upset, like in waves. The thing that makes me think youtube is that Sess is clearly the most upset of them all. And he WANTS to make video. A while back I hear that if not for REV 3 he would go into corporate banking or law or something.

So, maybe he thinks if the youtube loophole is closes, he is out of it.

I believe he worked at a bank before getting a gig on a local television studio, then he went on to do various jobs. One for gamespot, then TechTV, G4, Revision3, etc. His degree I believe has to do with literature, so he's very book smart. Also, he's been a great person for the community. Id prefer it if he stayed around. I'd hate to see him go away.

njean777

If this comes down to Sessler not getting a dev kit when he wants one because Sony is loaning those kits out to actual developers who are making games for the system, then good on them.

I don't mind Sessler, but the idea of journalist entitlements that might cripple a developer's ability to get work done piss me off.

If this is some change up to their current monetization policies for journalists who want to record video, given how childish the bulk of game journalists online are these days and how quickly they are to follow the money before providing honest coverage, I tend to be even more indifferent to their plight of running banker's hours, dicking around most of the day, expecting to pay the rent that way, and then balking when they get called on it.

Only gamers can be entitled though, journalists are never entitled.

I can't believe this is all over HDCP, which is strippable, and the lack of PS4 hardware for smaller outlets, which only fucking matters for day0 reviews of launch games. False alarm everyone.

ogmaster

Banned
Considering how much Sessler is seething, I'm thinking we're looking at the wrong source. Aside from MS and Sony, the other big companies that could cause this much strife is EA and Activision. With Battlefield 4 just a few days away, that leaves Activision and CoD Ghost.

Considering Gies and Sessler are the ones in charge of reviews, my guess is that they got the call from Activision that IGN is going to have an exclusive early review of CoD Ghost. Maybe a week before it comes out. I remember Sessler mentioning how he hated exclusive reviews and this maybe the last straw.

Well yeah, this won't affect most of us if it has to do with video capture..

I think it is to do with the distribution of captured material. Is he really worried about his job because it is an inconvenience to capture footage from launch on the PS4.

Pretty much. I think it's something bigger like YouTube not allowing upload of any game footage from now on or something like that.

i hope not other wise its the end of Two Best Friends play videos because of shitty policys that needs to be taken out back and shot in the head repeatedly
seriously any company that doesnt like free publicity are complete and total idiots

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
And what would the legal issues really be if they're stripping HDCP? I doubt that Sony would threaten legal action for a review site doing something that they're going to patch into their system anyway.
I'm starting to lean towards it being a major third party publisher blocking YouTube monetization for all their titles on both platforms. A career change due to a first party publisher locking down footage doesn't make much sense.

njean777

I am sure as well that a lot of outlets would love to hire Sessler if he has to re-thinking his employment. Heck maybe even Giantbomb, but that may be a fever dream sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom