• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese only 3DS games?

onepiecesp.jpg
:(
Oh God I want it so much...

I don't want to buy another 3ds, but it looks so tempting...

How can you add funds to buy stuff from the Japanese eShop? Do you need a Japanese credit card or is there some way to buy codes from prepaid cards online? I used to buy from maximuscards but they sell only us codes

You can use foreign credit cards, but I just buy prepaid cards online. There's a slight markup at most places, but it's not too bad. One browse of the eShop will have you buying them regardless of price though ;p

StayDead

Any New Love Plus love?

I would have mentioned it since I own it and go on it every day, but I wasn't sure if anyone else would be interested. It's really good, although I never played the DS ones and since the patch there's a hell of a lot less bugs. It depends if you like that sort of thing. For a dating sim kind of game it's awesome.

Schlomo

Will shops in Japan sell download codes for games like New Super Mario Bros. 2? I can remember it was announced that this would be possible, but I can't find a download version on e.g. Amazon.co.jp.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Man, it sucks so bad there's been no news of a localization for Beyond the Labyrinth, DQ Monsters, or Slime Morimori 3 :(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It's sad that everyone is forgetting Rocket Slime 3

I have it, but haven't played much of it.

Wife has completed it (100% everything including extras) and said she was pretty disappointed by it :/ - bear in mind she finished the first two and absolutely loved both of them. :(

btw - here is what the download cards themselves look like, snapped this on monday

AycQ8vvCIAAC-0_.jpg:large

i knew which song this was before i clciked lol. I had no idea what it is as i dont follow jpop at all, but after playing a fair amount of Taiko 3DS i have this jammed in my brain lol

Wow so Nintendo of America said if they were to fix my Japanese 3DS the region would be switched to North America and then I wouldn't be able to play my Japanese games anymore. There seems to be a problem where if I shake the 3DS a message saying the SD card popped out comes out and it's quite annoying. It's had that problem since I bought it last August.

Arya Stark

Neo Member
Wow so Nintendo of America said if they were to fix my Japanese 3DS the region would be switched to North America and then I wouldn't be able to play my Japanese games anymore. There seems to be a problem where if I shake the 3DS a message saying the SD card popped out comes out and it's quite annoying. It's had that problem since I bought it last August.

Oh man that's brutal. Really shitty thing for NoA to do.

Boney

Banned

fucking noa

Drago

That sucks. Sorry man :(

Also, this incident made me think... if I import a White XL from Japan, could I send it to NoA Repairs to make it a NA system? :eek:

Keropon

That sucks. Sorry man :(

Also, this incident made me think... if I import a White XL from Japan, could I send it to NoA Repairs to make it a NA system? :eek:

What if you send your NA system to Nintendo Japan...? They would change it to a JP system?

zroid

Banned

ahaha, that would be awesome. I'd love to get one of those Japan-exclusive limited edition models and North Americafy it.

rjc571

Banned
The Japanese eshop launched with a really cool-looking game called Hyu Stone where you basically drop a rock down a well and have to guide it around obstacles and through rings and such to reach the bottom. I'm sad that it never came out in the US.

evanmisha

Exactly what I was thinking.

I tried to get NoE to sell me a white 3DS shell for ages, but no matter what lie I came up with, they'd never budge. Would be great to know if something like this was possible.

Drago

I have 25 games myself: http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=MidnightScott&console=3DS

I sold off Cave Story 3D, didn't care for it.

Would you mind telling me which game this is?
Finished all of the songs on Normal mode outside of the main story, playing DLC songs(Best replay value so far!)

Wonderful game, I bought all the DLC for it so far lol
It's a nice collection you have :)

Also, if I could ask, if I imported a 3DS (LL) from Japan, do you think I would be able to send it in to Nintendo for the sole purpose of changing the region to NA?
It's likely that I'm going to end up importing a White one by the end of September and I want to make sure I could region change

Would you mind telling me which game this is?

It's a nice collection you have :)

Also, if I could ask, if I imported a 3DS (LL) from Japan, do you think I would be able to send it in to Nintendo for the sole purpose of changing the region to NA?
It's likely that I'm going to end up importing a White one by the end of September and I want to make sure I could region change

I don't know if the rep knows what he is talking about, they would most likely just send you an NA 3DS...-_-;

Drago

I don't know if the rep knows what he is talking about, they would most likely just send you an NA 3DS...-_-;

If I sent a JP 3DS XL to them, they would give me an NA 3DS OG back? :p

I sent them an email about it but I'm sure I'll get some stock response that won't help my case at all. I'll probably give em a call tomorrow night

smbu2000

Yeah they said they don't have the resources to reprogram it back to Japanese, all they can do is switch it to North American region.

7640147422_9a2c60d9a9_z.jpg

This keeps popping up <_>;
The message isn't about the sd card. It says that the game cartridge has been taken out.

Did you remove the 3ds game? Try to push it in and out again.

smbu2000

I've had this issue since I got the 3DS last August. It's the slot itself, not the game cards.
I'm pretty sure I've had that message before. Popping the cart out and clicking it back in then starting it up from the home menu worked for me. It's very rare that it has happened though (across my three, now only two, JP 3ds systems.)

I live in Japan and own a NA 3DS because of the region lock, but it kills me to go to game stores and see all these awesome games I can't play on my system...really tempted to get a Japanese XL...

Why region locking? :(

StayDead

anyone with a japanese 3ds tried this one yet?
http://andriasang.com/con21n/kyuukousha_shojo_trailer/
I am not sure if it's big enough for it's own thread, so I thought I just ask here.

I am kinda interested, kinda reminds me of another code/trace memory

I tried it yesterday evening and posted about it in the Nintendo Downloads thread.

Just finished the demo for Arc Systemworks new eShop game. It was a short demo and the ending was such a cliffhanger, but you know what, I enjoyed it enough that I'll buy it when it comes out next week.

To describe it is quite difficult, but imagine Penumbra style puzzles with atmospheric music, a seemingly interesting set of characters and adventure game segments.

Acosta

Fucking Nintendo...

I still have to decide which region I'll pick. Getting stuck with a Japanese system without knowing Japanese it´s a bad idea (I know it) but you get access to a lot of fun, arcadish stuff that won't be released here anyway. But I don't want to repeat the experience of playing SMT in Japanese.

Buying two is also an option I guess, but it´s such a waste of money.

disappointed, was kinda hoping we'd see this over here
I wouldn't write it off just yet. Between the GCN and XBLA releases Ikaruga's sold better in America than pretty much any 2D shooter the past decade, so there could definitely be publisher interest if the assocation's played up. Worst comes to worst though, G.Rev could even just selfpublish it through the eShop.

I live in Japan and own a NA 3DS because of the region lock, but it kills me to go to game stores and see all these awesome games I can't play on my system...really tempted to get a Japanese XL...

Why region locking? :(

You live in Japan, buy one :D

61oLsNOR1ZL.jpg

This game looks interesting...
Forgot about that! Thanks for the heads up :)

Since I don't know Japanese and this is kind of like a point-and-click with QTE's, I am convinced that they need to subtitle it and release it in the west. They don't need to dub it, I can tolerate the JP voices, I play Yakuza after all!

evanmisha

For anyone wondering, I e-mailed Nintendo about possibly changing the region of an imported XL to NA, and got this response:

Hello,

Thank you for writing. I can definitely understand your disappointment that a White version of the Nintendo 3DS XL hasn't been announced for release here in North America, as I wouldn't mind having one myself. As you're probably aware, the system has only been announced in the colors of Red and Blue at this time. However, I will be more than happy to forward your feedback about region locking, and seeing a White version of this system to our departments here at Nintendo.

To answer your question, we're not able to change the region of a foreign system to North America for you, as this isn't a service that we offer. I realize this is disappointing, but region locking will remain in place for the life of these systems. By taking this approach, Nintendo is able to include parental controls and ensure compliance with regional standards and rating systems. I know this isn't what you were hoping for, but we greatly appreciate your enthusiasm for our products.

If we ever announce any other colors for the Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL, I can assure you that we'll post all of the exciting information on the "What's New" section of our website at (www.nintendo.com/whatsnew).

Sincerely,

Kevin Anderson
Nintendo of America Inc.

P.S. Bla bla surveys

The hunt for white NA 3DS continues.

Top Bottom