• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

jimbob1971

Neo Member
How's the performance. DMprince scared me abit.
I think these were LM's findings. A bit different from the 17 and 18 seconds figures on page 1. Mind you, I don't know if everyone is timing to the same point. He seems to be very happy with it though.....

Cold boot time on the Seagate 1TB SSD Hybrid - 21.5 seconds

Stand by Was 22.

Need to conduct more test in the future but I'm just chiming in.

Killzone boot up 9 seconds.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
Aaargh! Couldn't resist it! I saw a Crucial M500 960GB for 290 pounds on EBay (new supposedly) and I couldn't resist biting!

I'm aware the Crucial is slower than the EVO but hey ho. I may get buyer's remorse once all the figures come in and stick with the Seagate 1TB I've already ordered from Amazon. We'll see. I figured that at 290 for 1gb I'd be able to sell it no problem later.

Ramma2

I ran some stock HDD tests this afternoon. Ran each test 3 times, average time is in bold.

Standby Mode - System Beep to Profile Select. Orange system light.

Full Off - System Beep to Profile Select. System light off.

Knack - XMB to Press Any Button Prompt (Disc Copy)

Resogun - XMB to Press X to Start (Digital Copy)

Flower - XMB to Window scene (Digital Copy)

Battlefield 4 - XMB to Press Options Button (Physical Copy). Letting logos and cutscene load naturally.

Battlefield 4 - XMB to Press Options Button (Physical Copy). Spamming X to bypass logos and cutscene.

Edit: And yes my PS4 boots faster from full off than it does from standby.

Nakor

*snip*

Thanks for the tests.

That seems to be a common trend with all tests that are being done.

Standby pros: Update/Install while in standyby.
Standby cons: (significantly?*) longer boot time

* at least in stock HDDs

Quasar

Thanks for the tests.

That seems to be a common trend with all tests that are being done.

Standby pros: Update/Install while in standyby.
Standby cons: (significantly?*) longer boot time

* at least in stock HDDs

Thats weird. I wonder what the reasons for standby taking longer are.

systematic

Unconfirmed Member
So will those new wd black drives with a 128gb ssd included fit in a ps4? Wonder how they would perform.

The PS4 would only recognise the 128GB SSD portion.

WD doesn't actually call the Black2 a hybrid drive, but a dual-drive because the the SSD and hard drive are completely separate. In other words, the drive will appear as two separate volumes: 120GB SSD and 1TB hard drive. There's no caching involved and the end-user can decide what goes to the SSD as if it were a standalone drive. By default only the SSD portion is usable but WD supplies a USB drive with drivers in the retail package to make the hard drive portion visible to the OS as well. All Windows versions from XP and up are supported but there is no OS X support at the time of launch.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7540/...-120gb-ssd-1tb-hd-dualdrive-in-25-form-factor

Can someone give me a summery of the threads findings? What's the best performance? Any noticeable improvement in game with streaming textures or is it just boot up time performance? Is it worth investing in a SSD for around $300. Or is that Seagate hybrid one that amazon just emailed me about for $100 worth it?

Tux

I ran some stock HDD tests this afternoon. Ran each test 3 times, average time is in bold.

Using my Seagate Momentus XL 750GB 7200 RPM w/8GB cache...I'm getting 16 second cold boot times when before it was around 25 seconds. But I get the same 16 second boot times on standby start only if you boot it twice.

So, yes, standby boot is slower than full off. But you have to cache the boot at least once before it has an effect. One of the games that does not improve in speed is Knack since I'm assuming the texture loading exceeds the 8GB load start. So, only an SSD would improve the Knack load time (or any game that loads more than 8GB at launch).

Tux

1YkMU3S.png

DBT85,

The stock PS4's 500GB 5400RPM drive info is as follows:

Brand: HGST (Western Digital subsidiary)
Model Number Associated: HTS545050A7E380, htb-ts5saa500(b), 829686001466

Some of the drives are still branded as Hitachi (Travelstar) and others have the HGST brand, it's not easy to match them up; i.e. they don't cross reference easily since consumer drives would get the Hitachi label and drives sold to companies (like Sony) would get the HGST label.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145530
http://www.cheaphdd.com/item/hgst-t...sata-ii-8mb-cache-internal-hard-drive-0a57915
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0029LHVLO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies was founded in 2003 as a merger of the hard disk drive businesses of IBM and Hitachi. Hitachi paid IBM US$2.05 billion for its HDD business.

On March 8, 2012, Western Digital (WD) acquired Hitachi Global Storage Technologies for $3.9 billion in cash and 25 million shares of WD common stock valued at approximately $0.9 billion. The deal resulted in Hitachi, Ltd. owning approximately 10 percent of WD shares outstanding, and reserving the right to designate two individuals to the board of directors of WD. It was agreed that WD would operate with WD Technologies and HGST as wholly owned subsidiaries and they would compete in the marketplace with separate brands and product lines.

To address the requirements of regulatory agencies, in May 2012 WD divested to Toshiba assets that enabled Toshiba to manufacture and sell 3.5-inch hard drives for the desktop and consumer electronics markets.

Hitachi Global Storage Technologies Japan, Ltd. is the Japanese branch of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Inc.

In November 2013 a 6 TB capacity drive filled with Helium was announced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, shit. Looks like the deal on Amazon is no longer being offered by any Prime options.

Oh, well. I probably won't need a bigger capacity drive for a while. Hopefully another deal comes along by then.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone measure the Ch2.2 (You have the Intel?) load times in KZ:SF with either Samsung 840 SSD or Seagate 1TB SSHDD?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.

nib95

Banned
Just did some quick tests with the Seagate 1TB SSHD.

- Cold boot was 15 seconds to the Epilepsy warning page and 18 seconds to the Log in page.
- Shadow Fall was 8 seconds from UI to the first splash screen (the opening white animation).

FWIW the ST1000LM014 is (or still is?) $89 at NewEgg today for Black Friday according to the BF email they sent me.

Not sure I'm going to pull the trigger -- I personally think I can get to Summer or later with the stock drive, and see what Hybrid drives look like by then (hopefully 1.5tb in the same price/performance range).

Still, seems a solid price for space/cost for those going all DD early.

- Cold boot was 15 seconds to the Epilepsy warning page and 18 seconds to the Log in page.
- Shadow Fall was 8 seconds from UI to the first splash screen (the opening white animation).

guess its good enough for me to buy now? or wait for the 1.5tb hdd?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
guys do you need to fat32 the hard-drive before changing it like the PS3?
and can I re-install system software via USB external hard-drive?
thanks

Tux

guys do you need to fat32 the hard-drive before changing it like the PS3?
and can I re-install system software via USB external hard-drive?
thanks

Power down your PS4 (make sure all lights are OFF!)

Then, unplug all power, install new drive, then when you plug power in, don't let it boot normally. You have to press and HOLD the front power button for 7 seconds (then it beeps), then release.

PS4 will ask you to plug in your controller and press the "PS" button on your controller. Once done, you can choose from serval options. Choose the last one which is format and install System OS. It will format your new HDD in FAT32 and install the System OS to 1.51.

You have to have your USB Firmware 1.51 already on your USB flash ready before you boot. Also, I found that some of my USB Flash drives don't fit the front of the PS4 well and I have to use a USB extension cable. Works like a charm.

Make sure your USB Flash was also formatted with FAT32.

WARNING: There are two 900GB firmware files.

901,146,112 bytes (1.50 to 1.51 w/OS - Installing a new HDD)

901,154,816 bytes (1.51 to 1.51 w/OS - Installing a new HDD) - Use this one if you've already installed the 1.51 firmware on your PS4's stock 500GB HDD and you need to install a new drive (Which the PS4 is aware of even after you take out the old HDD). Trying to install the 901,146,112 bytes 1.50 to 1.51 Firmware will FAIL since you already installed 1.50 and it's expecting 1.51.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

nib (or someone else), test the level loading in KZ, please! Test Chapter 2.2 maybe, or whatever level you want, just select it from the chapter selection menu, and post the time and the level name. Just don't select any chapters that begin with the video.

Measuring boot up time for KZ always ends up being 8-9 seconds, no matter what HDD is used - however, much longer load times happen when you select a level to load.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, Tested.com has a great video where they measure load times of KZ, Knack and Resogun, and load actual levels of each game, using Samsung SSD, Seagate SSHDD and stck drive.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

There's a massive speed increase in level load times on a KZ level (they actually tested with Ch 2.2) with SSD and SSHDD compared to stock. It also shows that SSHDD lags only a second behind pure SSD, making it a clear choice for this purpose:

39s SSD
41s SSHDD
59s Stock

Pbae

Is there a 2.5" 2TB SSHD coming? I rather make one purchase and be done with it.

http://www.seagate.com/about/newsroom/press-releases/Samsung-hdd-division-ships-2tb-storage-solution-pr-master/

So it's in a few Samsung products supposedly but hopefully we'll see some early next year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

This drive is a really good value if you don't want to wait and the it's pretty snappy to boot.

MercuryLS

Banned
I ordered the 1TB SSHD from newegg, too good of a price. I wanted to wait for a 2tb drive, but I doubt we'll see a SSHD variant of that anytime soon (and I imagine it will be a lot more than $90 when it first comes out). I think 1TB will be fine as I'll only keep 2-3 games installed at any given time. I hope the speed differences are noticeable.

DBT85

OK, Tested.com has a great video where they measure load times of KZ, Knack and Resogun, and load actual levels of each game, using Samsung SSD, Seagate SSHDD and stck drive.

http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

There's a massive speed increase in level load times on a KZ level (they actually tested with Ch 2.2) with SSD and SSHDD compared to stock. It also shows that SSHDD lags only a second behind pure SSD, making it a clear choice for this purpose:

39s SSD
41s SSHDD
59s Stock

Adding this post to the OP.

I've now got everything on my PS4 I can think of, hopefully tomorrow I can record some times.

Just recording th eboots is fairly pointless as so many games are fast loaders now. It has to be on restarting a checkpoint and loading a level etc.

mekes

Looking forward to seeing some reviews of he Spinpoint M9T when it is released. 2tb drive will suit me just fine, I'm not overly bothered by speed as much as I am size.

Baptizer

Neo Member
The HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB drive is $70 bucks again on Amazon. I doubt it will last long though. I picked up one.....amazing price.

Shadow780

http://www.seagate.com/about/newsroom/press-releases/Samsung-hdd-division-ships-2tb-storage-solution-pr-master/

So it's in a few Samsung products supposedly but hopefully we'll see some early next year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178340&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

This drive is a really good value if you don't want to wait and the it's pretty snappy to boot.

Thanks man, I'll wait for that 2TB drive.

reKon

Banned
The HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2TB drive is $70 bucks again on Amazon. I doubt it will last long though. I picked up one.....amazing price.

I'm going to have to jump on this now. There seems to be an even split between this one and the Seagate SSHD. I think that the Seagate may end up being a bit more reliable? Whatever, $70 for this is a very good price. I have a 120GB stock drive in my PS3 and it's definitely not enough now that I have Playstation Plus. I'm going to put the PS3 stock HDD in the PS3 and put the 1 TB in the PS4. I think that I'm going to need an external enclosure to format the PS4 hard drive before putting in the PS3?

I'm going to put the PS3 stock HDD in the PS3 and put the 1 TB in the PS4. I think that I'm going to need an external enclosure to format the PS4 hard drive before putting in the PS3?

No you can just put it into the PS3 as is and the PS3 will format it.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
I have some figures for a Stock drive, a Crucial M500 960GB and a Seagate 1TB SSHD.

When running a couple of games on the M500, the Bluray made a lot of noises and eventually I received a CE-34878-0 error. When I tried to play NFS Rivals the bluray disk would spin up, then down, then up, then down.... Eventually I moved the PS4 and the bluray noises seemed to stop.

All games here are physical copies.

Cold Boot (To welcome and login screen - No buttons pressed)
Stock drive - HGST http://www.hgst.com/hard-drives/mobile-drives/7mm-thin-and-light-drives/travelstar-z5k500
25-26 seconds
M500 960GB
17 seconds
Seagate SSHD
20 secs
20 secs (no disk in machine)

Killzone
Stock - HGST
Until 'continue campaign appears 17 - 18 seconds
''You have intel' chapter load around 44.5 seconds. [THIS MAY BE A MISTAKE EDIT : NOT A MISTAKE]
Crucial M500 - 960GB
Until 'continue campaign appears - 11.5 - 13.5 seconds (no buttons pressed, ran several times) [NOTE: To first appearance of campaign screen, but not all displayed campaign saves are displayed 10 seconds]
To "You have intel" :-
[I HAD some weird results ranging from 54 secs - 1 min 32!!! May have been caused by bluray drive. Possibly fixed by remounting SSD and turning machine upside down!!!!]
41 seconds
38 seconds
35 seconds
35.5 seconds

Seagate 1TB sshd
Until 'continue campaign'
18 secs
16 secs
15.5 secs
12 secs (10 secs to killzone toolbar, 2 secs to populate saved games)

''You have intel' chapter load
[Clearly some issue with install of KillZone. Load times well over a minute, until I placed the PS4 upside down!]
Ranged between 38 and 41 seconds.

NFS
Stock - HGST
Load times to 'Press X' - about 31.5 seconds.
Level load, from garage to track (about 10 -11 seconds)
Crucial - M500 960GB
Load time to 'Press X' - 31.5 seconds (Weirdly, same as stock)
Level load, from garage to track (about 8.5 - 9 seconds)
Seagate 1TB SSHD
NFS
Load times to 'Press X' -
35 seconds (stock faster)
34 seconds
32 seconds
31.5 seconds

Level load, from garage to track
13.5 seconds
12 seconds
9.5 seconds
10 seconds

Battlefield 4
Stock - HGST
To 'Press options' appearance (no skipping) - 47.5 seconds
Resume (in tunnel with ammo, explosives before factory level) 29.33 seconds
Crucial M500 960GB
To 'Press options' appearance (no skipping) - 42 seconds
Resume (in tunnel with ammo, explosives before factory level) 27 seconds (average over 3 tries)
Seagate 1TB SSHD
To 'Press options' appearance (no skipping)
45 seconds

Resume (in tunnel with ammo, explosives before factory level)
30.5 seconds (whilst installing Full game in background - slower than stock)
31.6 seconds (whilst installing Full game in background - slower than stock)
30 seconds (whilst installing Full game in background - slower than stock)
29.5 seconds

In short, I'm not seeing a huge improvement with the SSD. Yes, most of the times are better by a little (except Killzone's longer loading times where the M500 is a good 8 or 9 seconds quicker on average) .

The Seagate is slightly faster than the stock, except for BattleField 4 resume for some reason, although it did eventually match stock, and the NFS initial level loads. The Seagate looks like a decent upgrade in terms of size and speed, though there are some strange aberations here. Decent loading times on the Killzone level, between 38 and 41, although the stock drive did manage 42.5 once.

These results are interesting compared to some other posted here. For example, the table of the first page has BT4 loading in 20 seconds on a 72k drive. I can only assume that this takes the figure for when DICE is displayed (19 seconds on my Seagate SSHD) whereas I am timing until 'Press option' is displayed with no skipping (Skipping gets me there in 25 seconds). The trouble is different people are running the tests slightly differently. I'd be willing to run a few again though if we get a standardised set. For example, the videos in this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=91458100&postcount=770 seem to suggest a faster cold boot and Killzone load time than my Seagate results. However, when I timed the video to the point I was using, I saw this video's cold boot to be about 23-24 second, and the Killzone time to be about 14-15 seconds, compared to the figure of 8 in the post.

I'd like to point out that I have no idea why Killzone on the M500 was taking so long initially. There is clearly something wrong with my Bluray, or my Killzone disk, or the mounting cage of the HD. (See Killzone results - The other results may need updating based on 'upside down' find )

Anyone able to take a shot and guess what this is? Dodgy disk? Dodgy optical drive?

Jarmel

Banned
In short, I'm not seeing a huge improvement. Yes, most of the times are better by a little (excecpt Killzone where I maybe wrote the wrong time down or something!). I suspect the PS4 just can't make the most of the SSD drive.

I have a Seagate 1TB Hybrid drive sitting here too, but am not sure whether to open it and try as I may have to return it to Amazon.

I think the bigger difference is whether you download your games or not.

DigitalReborn

Neo Member
Bought a Seagate 1tb sshd today and the wondering how backing up and restoring saves with multiple accounts works. If I lose my girl's Knack save she will flip out haha.

Top Bottom