• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhillyGAF |OT|

esms

CENTER CITY REPRESENT

Watch out, high roller over here.

As I arrive at my office this morning, I feel surrounded by gaf

Maybe you are...

I live in West Chester.

Welcome friend.

John's Roast Pork> Dinic's . not by much though.

Good call, I'll add it in.

Max's>>>>>>Genos/Pats.

Honestly, a lot of things are better than Geno's/Pats.

I hate driving through it.

It does seem like a bitch to drive in/through.

NMFried

I was born and raised in Philly and moved to Dallas, TX in 2006. After visiting every other year since moving here, I've found myself enjoying the city more and more, much more than I did when I lived there. I don't know that I could ever move back though.

I really miss Wawa though, and would trade it for Whataburger.

RP912

Banned
I remember the good ole days of people watching in the dirty ass Gallery in Center City. Throwing pennies in the water fountain and getting free samples from the Bourbon Grill. Good times :)

Bucks/Montgomery county checking in. Great OP!

Guys, the Phillies are actually on a roll right now. Would've never thought it.

Edit: I am actually looking forward to the Pope coming. Gonna try to go down and see him when he comes.

What industry do you work in/have your degree in? Pre-congrats on the move!

Graduated not long ago with a degree in computer science. looking for software jobz n stuff.

I hope I can find something good soon. I need to move out of suburban hell.

BooThisMan.gif

Boo to you too!

gutshot

Very nice OP. I was born and raised in South Jersey and am a Rutgers-Camden alum. Lots of great memories of going into the city to visit the museums and parks, take in an Eagles/Phillies/Sixers game, hit up some bars in Old City or just to grab a late night cheesesteak.

I live in NC now and the one thing I miss most of all is Wawa. They are spreading south but not fast enough!

esms

I dont get all the pope jokes

isnt he visiting just for a weekend?

OK so, take this with a grain of salt, but my boss's brother is a cop in MontCo and he's told her that they are taking almost all cops from the surrounding burbs and importing specialty (K9, bomb) units from Chicago for his visit.

Apparently, from ~22nd to ~7th and ~Arch to ~South is gonna be cordoned off to vehicle traffic. Add in a shitload of tourists filling up the remaining public transport, you have a Center City that is essentially shut down.

My coworkers in the burbs and South Jersey are already planning to work from home. It's gonna be nuts.

Graduated not long ago with a degree in computer science. looking for software jobz n stuff.

I hope I can find something good soon. I need to move out of suburban hell.

Should be easy enough. In the legal scene, I know that a lot of the larger firms are looking for people with your credentials.

Ryuukan

OK so, take this with a grain of salt, but my boss's brother is a cop in MontCo and he's told her that they are taking almost all cops from the surrounding burbs and importing specialty (K9, bomb) units from Chicago for his visit.

Apparently, from ~22nd to ~7th and ~Arch to ~South is gonna be cordoned off to vehicle traffic. Add in a shitload of tourists filling up the remaining public transport, you have a Center City that is essentially shut down.

My coworkers in the burbs and South Jersey are already planning to work from home. It's gonna be nuts.

As long as this is going down on the weekend when I'm not here

Born and raised in Bucks County. Huge Flyers fan. Pretty big Phillies fan and I guess I'm a fan of the Eagles haha.

Going to spend the better part of two days in Philly next weekend with someone. Spend all day in Philly on Saturday then go see the Lion King broadway show. Sunday going back to Philly for the Zoo. Gonna be fun :).

Opinions on Hakstol in here?

He's going to introduce some new and much needed energy into the team and it's going to be fun :).

Alucrid

Banned

Should be easy enough. In the legal scene, I know that a lot of the larger firms are looking for people with your credentials.

I'm pretty sure my parents booked a hotel in the city for his visit...and they live in Delco. Shits gonna be terrible

Station Pizza in NE Philly has the best cheesesteaks.

Haha... Oh wow. Are we thinking of the same place? Across the street from the Wawa and Somerton train station?

Anyway, I basically live at South and Broad. Work at 8th and Market. Lived in Philadelphia my entire 30 years.

OP should include the performing arts side of things. Like Merriam Theater, Kimmel Center and Academy of Music.

esms

As long as this is going down on the weekend when I'm not here

With an operation of this scale, take into account that there will be like a week of prep and a few days of breakdown and cleanup.

I'm pretty sure my parents booked a hotel in the city for his visit...and they live in Delco. Shits gonna be terrible

It's gonna be chaos. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be the only one in the office because I'm walking distance, so it shouldn't be too bad. I'll get to goof off with the other select few people who make it in.

Grew up in Delco, currently live in Manayunk and work outside Philly. Went to college in Pittsburgh, definitely made me appreciate Philly a lot more

Dalessandros 4 lyfe

bigkrev

Thankfully, they already announced the school I work at to be closed the Friday of the Pope Visit, but I'm thinking of taking the whole week off and being anywhere else instead. It's going to be a trainwreck

esms

OP should include the performing arts side of things. Like Merriam Theater, Kimmel Center and Academy of Music.

Yeah, I know next to nothing about this scene. I'll add the mentioned in. I've heard good things about the Walnut Street Theatre too. Is that a legit spot?

I was in Philly last week and I had cheesesteaks from Jim's and Dalessandro's. Jim's was really good, but I'd have to give the edge to Dalessandro's.
600 Wendover St. Philadelphia, PA 19128

I consistently hear good things about their steaks but have never been. I'll add it in.

Yeah, I know next to nothing about this scene. I'll add the mentioned in. I've heard good things about the Walnut Street Theatre too. Is that a legit spot?

I haven't been to the Walnut St Theater in a long time but I hear good things too. Pretty sure it's legit.
Kimmel Center is a really well designed space, acoustically. I've seen some Philly Pops / Philly Orchestra shows there.
I've been to a few dance shows in Merriam and I go to the Nutcracker every year in Academy.
The Academy is a beautiful building:

I consistently hear good things about their steaks but have never been. I'll add it in.

And, yes, you should go here because I too would say it's the best in the city.

That's the one. I used to go to the Somerton Swim Club as a kid!

Haha. Small world. My parents live right around the train station. I walk to Station Pizza every once in a while for some fries. Killer fries there.

Jarate

Banned
I used to live in Philly, but moved to Wisconsin recently

I used to be an intern for the Preston and Steve show too, shit was pretty awesome yo

Also, worked for the Phillies for 4 years. Miss Philly a lot, but mostly because I cant find good food out here, and no Wawa is a terrible thing

I'll have to keep a look out. If I can avoid selling my soul to military contractors like Lockheed and Raytheon i'll be pleased (even with less pay)

Also, worked for the Phillies for 4 years. Miss Philly a lot, but mostly because I cant find good food out here, and no Wawa is a terrible thing

cuz the midwest is a cultural wasteland ;)

Jarate

Banned
I'll have to keep a look out. If I can avoid selling my soul to military contractors like Lockheed and Raytheon i'll be pleased (even with less pay)

cuz the midwest is a cultural wasteland ;)

German food is banging out here, but Asian, and Italian food are nowhere near as good as out there

Pizza hut is prolly my best Pizza option, which is a sad sad truth to live with

NMFried

Haha. Small world. My parents live right around the train station. I walk to Station Pizza every once in a while for some fries. Killer fries there.

They definitely do. It's been a couple of years since I've been back up north, but if I go to grad school it'll be NYU so there will surely be trips to Philly.

You should definitely go. I'm already planning another trip to Philly just for Dalessandro's cheesesteaks.
Not really, but I will go back there some day.

Top Bottom