• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Roussow

You can use it to modify the geometry of the planet. Dig tunnels to hide or recharge your hazard protection, dig through mountains, make your own caves, adjust slopes to be able to stand or climb better, blast your way out of caves you get lost in.

Digging tunnels is a super creative way to recharge shield. As far as general mobility I'm pretty good with melee/jeckpacking across almost all terrain. I don't find myself in caves much, I should change that. All good advice though, cheers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you select transmission from the beacons, it will lead you to a building that will give you coordinates to a crashed ship.

Do you all use all your slots on your ship for ship upgrades or do you leave some for inventory? Right now I have a 19 slot ship but only a standard hyperdrive. I just found the blueprint on it and I was wondering if I should just load my ship up on upgrades or just find another ship. Also do you need the stock hyperdrive and the upgraded one installed for it to work, or is it one or the other?
You always have to have the base tech installed, everything else is an upgrade. Upgrades stack and also provide a bonus if you place them next to each other.
I didn't think the blast radius on them was that big to do all of that. Do you have an upgraded grenade?
Seems to work fine out of the box, especially for making exits from caves I was doing that right away. But yes, I have an upgrade installed for the blast radius.

Also I use it to mine stuff in pillars sometimes, just to mix it up, dunno if it's faster or slower but kinda fun.

UCBooties

If you select transmission from the beacons, it will lead you to a building that will give you coordinates to a crashed ship.

Do you all use all your slots on your ship for ship upgrades or do you leave some for inventory? Right now I have a 19 slot ship but only a standard hyperdrive. I just found the blueprint on it and I was wondering if I should just load my ship up on upgrades or just find another ship. Also do you need the stock hyperdrive and the upgraded one installed for it to work, or is it one or the other?

Sorry, I meant that the orbs are rarer than you think, I've found plenty of crashed ships but they don't all have the orb, I think I've found two that did.

8byte

Banned
Has anyone actually seen a portal like we saw in early trailers? Like a swirling liquid on a monolith that takes you to another planet? I don't think they exist.

insanity, what is that in real time anyway?
Took me about eight hours. You can hide in a shelter so you don't have to keep fueling your environmental shielding, which lets you take afk breaks if you like.

With +5 life support, I had a couple hours between refuels, so I did a mix of exploration, species tagging, and afk errand running. You can save your game and come back later too (or crash and reboot), just don't die or leave the surface.

Seiniyta

Looking back at the old portal trailer it seems the active one is actually kind of small. So if they're still in the game and they're ultra rare, and they're also not really able to be spotted from the sky then it'll take quite some time before anyone will find one I think.

that is If the active one is in the game.

rubes7844

Banned
I've officially hit the wall :( I'm close to my next Atlus landing and I'm burned out. Dang, I didn't think it would happen this quickly.

Tovarisc

I have started using it, a lot. I find the boltcaster unnecessary at this point.

Max out mining laser with upgrades [all tiers from combat to mining], visor and scanner with max range perk and nade launcher with upgrade or two. That makes for beast mode multi-tool that is good for combat and mining.

t7HIQvg.png

Oh my god, this planet. I'm going to be rich! RICH, AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! [Notice the gravitino ball marker on my top left, in addition to the cubes!]

The sentinels have gone absolutely apeshit, though. If I die...

tumblr_mihrcyRfjQ1s0qwlko1_500.gif

Roussow

Max out mining laser with upgrades [all tiers from combat to mining], visor and scanner with max range perk and nade launcher with upgrade or two. That makes for beast mode multi-tool that is good for combat and mining.

Combat ready Multi-tool can straight up compete with a geared up Boltcaster? Huh, I've only used the combat upgrades on the multi-tool to knock birds out of the sky.

mcz117chief

Has anybody finished the game yet? I only saw people travel from one galaxy to the next but I haven't seen anyone actually travel to the center of the universe.

Rephil

Anyone else eagerly awaiting the PS4 patch Sean mentioned? I can hardly stand not playing, but the risk is too great given the crashes. I miss the grind! I'm desperate to get in and get a new ship. That ship guide on the first page of this thread got me pumped to get in there, even though I suspect the Gek glitch will be patched out by the time I start playing again.

Also, gotta admit I was super happy to see that Metal Gear Survive trailer, mostly because I hope the Sean Lied crowd moves their pent-up outrage to a different cause.

Gek glitch? what gek glitch? thanks for clarification.

EDIT: sorry, found it!

Seiniyta

So has anyone found a planet that has like no mountains but like endless rolling hills or huge stretches of flat surfaces?

I'm on my 114th planet now and haven't really encountered it.

Xbudz

So, I've maxed out my suit inventory, I have a new ship with a good amount of slots as well.
Now I'm not really sure what to do next. I assume I should try to get Atlas Pass v2 or v3.. but how?

I'm kinda missing narrative at this point, I'm just not sure what reason there is to continue playing?
Just explore, get more money and buy a bigger ship? Should I just keep heading towards the galaxy core?

Hmmm.

mokeyjoe

Decided to say fuck storage on my ship. Turning it into a legit fighter. Tired of getting owned by pirates.

Exactly what I'm doing. After upgrades I only have 4 free slots. The important thing is it looks cool and I can waste pirates in seconds now. I have 46 exosuit slots now anyway, and I only mine resources when I need them. Cash is from stealing vortex cubes and shooting down ships.

mcz117chief

I don't even think that's possible. It's not a game with an 'end' as far as I know.

Wasn't the director of the game saying that the centre of the universe is the ultimate goal of the game that you want to share with your friends? I am pretty sure he did.

VARIA

Oh my god, this planet. I'm going to be rich! RICH, AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA! [Notice the gravitino ball marker on my top left, in addition to the cubes!]

The sentinels have gone absolutely apeshit, though. If I die...

tumblr_mihrcyRfjQ1s0qwlko1_500.gif

Haha! I just recently came across a planet with a bunch of Vortex Cubes, but mine has the red box hovering over it like this:

Such an easy farm, but yes it is really easy to get greedy and get killed by sentinels. Just taking one of these Vortex cubes calls in two floaty sentinels and the mechanical dog, both are easy to take out but its easy to get distracted taking so many of these things as loot.

mokeyjoe

Wasn't the director of the game saying that the centre of the universe is the ultimate goal of the game that you want to share with your friends? I am pretty sure he did.

Lol, he said a lot of things.

But seriously, I think he was referring to the galaxy and he said it's 'an' end for those who want it.

So i decided to check out the unpatched version, and it's really sad how they patched out the "records" tab. You could see how far you walked, how many words learned, how many resources you mined, etc, on each planet.

I hope they'll bring something like that back again.

mokeyjoe

Haha! I just recently came across a planet with a bunch of Vortex Cubes, but mine has the red box hovering over it like this:

Such an easy farm, but yes it is really easy to get greedy and get killed by sentinels. Just taking one of these Vortex cubes calls in two floaty sentinels and the mechanical dog, both are easy to take out but its easy to get distracted taking so many of these things as loot.

Fighting? Once you're proficient at melee boosting you can easily outrun them.

NH Apache

Banned
Chose the atlas path to start.

I've been jumping, but when I bring up the jump map, I push Q over until I see the yellow leads.

It's only been since today that I realized I'm supposed to use the blue/purple leads to find the Atlas stuff. Wow.

arimanius

Man I had to turn down the in game brightness to 0 for this game. Everything was just way to washed out. Haven't had to do that before in any other game.

venomenon

I think it's 8 hours. So I think I've been on this planet for 12 or 13 hours.
Wow. I really need to leave.
Oh my god. There goes my evening, and at least the next one too. Found a nice toxic planet yesterday and decided to casually collect the achievement, but I didn't expect it to take that long.
On the bright side, it has lots of gold on it.

Seiniyta

I'm thinking, everyone seems to want to go toward the center of the galaxy. But what if I decide to do the opposite, see how far I can get to the edge.

Hmm, sounds like a plan

So i decided to check out the unpatched version, and it's really sad how they patched out the "records" tab. You could see how far you walked, how many words learned, how many resources you mined, etc, on each planet.

I hope they'll bring something like that back again.

What?? They took this out? :( PS4 still has it

mokeyjoe

So, I've maxed out my suit inventory, I have a new ship with a good amount of slots as well.
Now I'm not really sure what to do next. I assume I should try to get Atlas Pass v2 or v3.. but how?

I'm kinda missing narrative at this point, I'm just not sure what reason there is to continue playing?
Just explore, get more money and buy a bigger ship? Should I just keep heading towards the galaxy core?

Hmmm.

Centre of the galaxy is one option. Have you done the Atlas path?

I've got a nearly maxed out inventory and the ship I want. I spent some time getting Theta level warp drive and jetpack. Gonna focus on the Atlas path and the centre now and try and pick up the homing shots for my bolt caster and propelled grenades on the way. Aiming to get to the centre roughly when they release the base building and freighters update. That's the plan!

emb

Man I had to turn down the in game brightness to 0 for this game. Everything was just way to washed out. Haven't had to do that before in any other game.
I didn't turn it down quite that far, but I did turn it down quite a bit. I'm normally that guy that goes into options and always turns brightness up; when they show me the little silhouette I turn brightness up way past the point where I can barely see it. In this game though, it felt bright enough to be overbearing.

mcz117chief

Lol, he said a lot of things.

But seriously, I think he was referring to the galaxy and he said it's 'an' end for those who want it.

If that's the case then that is a real bummer, since all I saw so far is that you just transition to another galaxy and that's it, at least Spore's galaxy center was funny and you got that cool super terraforming staff with 42 uses.

I've been on one of those. There's not a lot to do to be honest. Rocks everywhere. Nothing to scan. This + the ambient piano music made it one of the most weird ten minutes in the game. I felt bad for the Gek I found in a lonely outpost.

It'd be an unexpectedly awesome touch if the dialogue generator for those situations would have the Gek or other NPC act delusional or just incredibly erratic for having been alone for so long.

One thing that I love about this game. Here you have a desert planet. Boring, right? Throw some grenades and you have a tunnel.

Those were some nice shots! Looking forward to coming across a desert planet, or at least a absurdly hostile one. Be careful abusing the collision detection though. Found myself in a pickle and broke through the map before. You don't want to die like that and have your grave be out of bounds ;)

So... anyone really use the grenade launcher attachment?

Absolutely. Upgraded with widened range of destruction/deformation as well as a +3 damage modifier, wrecks reinforced doors quickly and can down an AT-ST Sentinel with no trouble as well. I do a lot of exploration underground or in the ocean, so being able to brute force my way to the surface at will is very convenient.

mokeyjoe

I'm thinking, everyone seems to want to go toward the center of the galaxy. But what if I decide to do the opposite, see how far I can get to the edge.

Hmm, sounds like a plan

I was thinking about this yesterday. What about turning around and heading out. There's some Gek lore relating to the outer edge, I'd be surprised if there's anything there though. Also no clue of how far you can go out.

arimanius

I didn't turn it down quite that far, but I did turn it down quite a bit. I'm normally that guy that goes into options and always turns brightness up; when they show me the little silhouette I turn brightness up way past the point where I can barely see it. In this game though, it felt bright enough to be overbearing.

I've probably gotten it a little to dark however I general like my games a notch to dark than to bright. I wish the game had one of those silhouette. Makes it easier to adjust.

mokeyjoe

If that's the case then that is a real bummer, since all I saw so far is that you just transition to another galaxy and that's it, at least Spore's galaxy center was funny and you got that cool super terraforming staff with 42 uses.

You think? That's basically what I'm hoping for, I wouldn't want a traditional end in a game like this.

Yeah. For the final nail in the wealth coffin, the space station in this system has a 106% markup for titanium, so every sentinel I kill is netting me profit. I can get around 60k for a stack of titanium here.

Are Sentinels supposed to aggro over Vortex Cubes? They did when I was farming pearls on my last planet, but they don't seem to care about cubes.

Top Bottom