• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

September 1st for essential? That's just a couple of weeks before iPhone 8 and a month before Pixel XL 2. Not much point in going essential.

Anybody know of any simple apps that can control/schedule the notification LED to be on/off?

I have an S7 edge and the damn LED blinks even in Silent/DND mode and lights up the whole room when I'm trying to sleep. I know how to turn it off in settings, but it completely disables the LED and its a pain in the ass turning it on and off every day.

Mindwipe

Supposedly Google Duo is one year old today.

Does anyone even use this shit? I mean for real.

*Crickets chirping*

I've used Duo occasionally, it's lightweight. I can see once it's integrated in the dialler (especially if Samsung do so) it would build a bit of traction.

Allo is dead and will never recover. Killed by a moronic launch plan.

Anybody know of any simple apps that can control/schedule the notification LED to be on/off?

I have an S7 edge and the damn LED blinks even in Silent/DND mode and lights up the whole room when I'm trying to sleep. I know how to turn it off in settings, but it completely disables the LED and its a pain in the ass turning it on and off every day.

Simple? I don't think a solution exists. Maybe LIghtflow might? I know that you can easily get around this by using Tasker.

This is what my Nexus 6P just did while playing a game (it shut off).

kHSFDu5.jpg

Place it face down at night?

There might be some kind of scheduler app, but I personally haven't heard of one.

I love Project Fi and can't see myself moving to another carrier anytime soon, but damn do they need to get more phones on board. I've had my 6P for almost 2 years now so I'm starting to look at getting a new phone. With the Pixel 2 looking like a no go for me (unless the leaks are way off) I'm stuck falling back on the Pixel 1 which at that point I might as well just save the money and keep my 6P...

reKon

Banned
So anyone getting that Essential phone?

Now that I have wireless headphones, I see everything in a new light!

And by new light I mean... the phone would have be essentially near perfect.

For me to buy this phone, it would have to be up there with the Pixel and One Plus 5 in performance.

It would have to have camera that matches the top Android flagships.

Battery would have to be comparable to what I get from my S7 Edge.

There's a no way all of those benchmarks will be met with this, so I have to say it's a hard NO.

Jeffrey

I'd rather spend $700 on slots atm.

Essential seems like a killer phone when the company dies or is bought by someone else like that cloud phone.

$200 firesale phone?

Anyways gotta wait for reviews first.

DrFurbs

Tomorrow I'm cracking open my Nexus 6p and I'm changing the fucking battery. I swear to Jupiter's Cock I'm fucking this thing in the bin of it doesn't improve and I'm done with Google and their products.

Man... I want a pixel 2 xl... But LG Google phones have always had suspect build quality...

LG G6 seems to be ok so far although bootloop issues weren't apparent on G4 until after a year I believe. Pixel XL 2 should be fine. Let's be real you will have already gotten a new phone by the time issues pop up lol. I hope they keep the wide angle camera from LG G6 and V20. Also I need that notification led. Will be mine if they check those boxes and give me a decent battery.

Essential is doa. It just rubs me the wrong way how they try to push their accessories more than the phone and come out at a high ass price like their shit don't stink. I won't be getting it as I spent my amazon credit on a nintendo switch today with news it's been hacked for homebrew.

Jeffrey

I like everything about how the essential looks including the weird front camera cutout. Best looking phone of 2017.

Just wish it was made by an established company and not some pompous vc funded group.

Also all these compromises. No headphone jack but no fancy USB headphones like HTC. Small phone average battery but 180g because of the titanium frame that no one cares about.

No water resistance.

Too many compromises for a $700 phone. OP5 does every better for less besides the bezels.

Anyone ever buy a Best Buy Refurbished phone?

I'm usually hesitant about buying any reburbished items online, but Best Buy has the Moto Z Play (unlocked) for $260 refurbished, which seems like a pretty great deal. Even Swappa barely has any that low.

Reviews on the BB website for the Refurbished unit seem to say it's solid (apparently they don't guarantee that the charger and cable match, but that's not a deal-breaker for me), but I'm sure the quality can vary a bit.

The 14 day return policy means there's not too much of a risk, but I still wanted to see if anyone here has tried them or not.

phanphare

Banned
Anyone ever buy a Best Buy Refurbished phone?

I'm usually hesitant about buying any reburbished items online, but Best Buy has the Moto Z Play (unlocked) for $260 refurbished, which seems like a pretty great deal. Even Swappa barely has any that low.

Reviews on the BB website for the Refurbished unit seem to say it's solid (apparently they don't guarantee that the charger and cable match, but that's not a deal-breaker for me), but I'm sure the quality can vary a bit.

The 14 day return policy means there's not too much of a risk, but I still wanted to see if anyone here has tried them or not.

granted I've only had it for like 2 days but I got the refurbished Moto Z Play through Best Buy and it seemed like it was in great condition. battery life has been stellar so far. there weren't any blemishes or scratches or anything on the phone itself. mine also came with a USB C to USB C cable and an LG charger that does the turbo power charging or whatever it's called so that was cool. it also came with a USB A to USB C cable and that wood looking style mod. good stuff so far.

Jeffrey

Interesting to see that they went lcd because they couldn't source a amoled panel that can do the selfie cam cutout. Probably amoled by 2 if they are still around.

7 hr sot for a high res lcd panel with that battery is pretty impressive.

So it's mono speaker? Website mention stereo. Shame impressions say it's slippery, but apparently the sides are grippy which is good.

Current mood still 🤔

That screen. But my op5 does everything else as good or better.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I still dunno. I'm intrigued, but there's too much good stuff coming:

Jesusphone 8
pixel XL 2
v30
Even the Mate 10

Jeffrey

I still dunno. I'm intrigued, but there's too much good stuff coming:

Jesusphone 8
pixel XL 2
v30
Even the Mate 10

Poor Samsung.

Apple yes,but I'd have to use ios again. 120hz screen though.

Pixel 2 xl yes. Hope it looks more like the V30 than the renders though.

V30 yes after firesale

Mate 10 yes but probably won't hit state side until 2018.

DrFurbs

Well i just changed my Nexus 6P battery. Ifixit tear down gave the N6p a fis it rating of 2 meaning its a bitch.

I have to admit, its super easy and the only hard part is getting the back cover off. I did make about 3 tiny indents on the case and lost about 3mm of plastic lip but my phone cover hides all this anyways.

I must have accidently danaged the old battery because it was super hot and begining to swell, but i just yanked it out and put in the replacement. Im not ready to fork out money on a new phone just yet and i think its a digusting anti-consumer practice that phone manufactorers do not provide the opportunity to replace batteries given how easy this was. there simply is no excuse and the sooner people begin to reject what they do the better.

Anyways, im off to give a full charge before i root it and install Elemental X.

for those interested I followed this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEQbQPAU9Ss

Top Bottom