• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't believe this is the actual box art. WORST COVER EVER.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
why do you guys get so offended by box art? Most people (especially the ones GotY releases are targeting) don't give a shit about how it looks. Most of their box arts are probably paper sleeves from Gamestop.

Box art is the life blood of any video game, sir.

nDilb.jpg

I almost choked on my sandwich... bravo!

I know its crazy but I kind of like how obnoxious it is.

I dont actually find the numbers and letters to be detracting from the visual aesthetic.

elfinke

What I don't get is, who the fuck are they advertising this to? The 'early adopters' already know its a great game, and may have just been waiting for the DLC to be neatly bundled before they grabbed the GOTY. They don't need that butt-tactic cover.

Others, like me, have simply been waiting for the GOTY before buying it at all. And we know it's a good game, based on conversations with friends and prior knowledge (Batman:AA).

There must be another set of the gaming audience that somehow buys GOTY editions of games without much knowledge of the vanilla portion of the game, who is also unable or unwilling to seek out recommendations of said game first?

I don't get it.

In any event, as long as that fucking cover doesn't come as a compressed .jpg with the DD/steam version, I'll be grabbing it there sometime in the future.

I'm happy because I skipped the game, waiting for the GOTY edition, to avoid having to pay for the extra content, and I just found the confirmation of the edition.

I'll flip the cover, probably the inner part will be the same design, but without the marketing sentences.

sphinx

the piano man
Dear god, I forgot how bad this is. Both the insane downgrade in artstyle and the ridiculous "box within a box" bullshit.

what is the complete line of the "yo dawg" guy?

"I heard you like games, I'll put a game in your game so you play while you play"..

or was it about something else? I laughed out loud the first time I read it but I can't remember it.

Mr_Zombie

Actually from a design standpoint it isn't that bad. It utilizes the red in the artwork for the text and the type is actually worked into the artwork rather than just slapped on where it would fit. The use of the tear to show the bonus content is also pretty well done. In other words, the artist did the best he/she could do with what was handed to him/her. I've had enough "Hovering art director" moments and "the client wants this" situations to see that this designer probably gave it a shot.

I wouldn't have used the Batman logo twice personally.

Sure, the designer actually tried to do something with the cover so that it feels at least consistent, but the cover is still bad. It's too cluttered (I'm actually amazed no one thought about utilizing that bottom right corner - another short quote would easily fit there) and pushes the most important information, i.e. game's title, to the side while putting the "10 out of 10" quote in the top center of the cover, where the title should have been placed. For someone who isn't familiar with gaming, it really looks as if "10 out of 10" is the title of the game.

what is the complete line of the "yo dawg" guy?

"I heard you like games, I'll put a game in your game so you play while you play"..

or was it about something else? I laughed out loud the first time I read it but I can't remember it.

Yo dawg, I heard you like game boxes, so we put the box in another box so you can be disgusted by our design choices!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Thats a truly terrible cover. That said. I can't wait to see the Greatest/Platinum Hits variation of the cover this fall!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I always thought the magazine art was a copy of the unannounced boxart. Now the Batman boxart is even WORSE for me. :(

Damn, the first Batman's boxart was amazing. Such a shame.

It's the same as the original steelbook version.
10179858.jpg

this is the one I got anyway, except I've got The Joker instead of Catwoman on the back.

highrider

Banned
cool. that means i can go up to a smarmy gamestop clerk and ( holding the box ) earnestly ask if this is the game of the year edition.

Zoc

This really isn't the way to stand out on a busy Gamestop shelf, anyway. Most other game covers are already gaudy and noisy already, so a simpler design would have had more impact, with just the words "game of the year" below the title.

Top Bottom