• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 - European Dead Zone (EDZ) gameplay

"not a grindfest" honestly disappoints me, lol. There is something beautiful and pure about the grind in destiny. I'm not even joking, as much as I'd like to be.

To be honest I somewhat agree. A lot of the changes (e.g. set gun rolls) seem designed to lower the grind. That's great for people who want Destiny to be an 80 hour Shooter-RPG that you finish then quit forever, but that's not really what the game is about for the people who play for crazy amounts of time, and I dare say not what Destiny was intended to be.

I'm really torn on that one. Just feels like a lot of the changes I've seen are designed for the people who didn't actually even like Destiny.

To be honest I somewhat agree. A lot of the changes (e.g. set gun rolls) seem designed to lower the grind. That's great for people who want Destiny to be an 80 hour Shooter-RPG that you finish then quit forever, but that's not really what the game is about for the people who play for crazy amounts of time, and I dare say not what Destiny was intended to be.

I'm really torn on that one. Just feels like a lot of the changes I've seen are designed for the people who didn't actually even like Destiny.

Not gonna lie as an avid D1 player I seriously forgot it was this close to release.I guess that alone reflects how much I cared I about locked perks,removal of sniper/rocket combo/sword combos etc but the main thing that soured me was how weak hunter is compared to sentinal and warlocks.

I mean sentinal is baddass and it keeps the bubble super too.Warlock dawnblade is also badass plus voidwalker has those super charged gernades.Then we get to hunter who gets a pole instead of a blade and the only good perk is gamblers dodge with its reload perk...waa waaa.

Wait, there's only 2 subclasses? I thought they'd be 3. I'm guessing they're holding it back for one of the expansions. Kind of lame.

Wait, there's only 2 subclasses? I thought they'd be 3. I'm guessing they're holding it back for one of the expansions. Kind of lame.

It's not known for sure, and to be fair any reveal of one would probably be after level 20. That said I'm not personally convinced in either sense, on the one hand it would be incredibly shitty of them to gate the subclasses behind a DLC having had them revealed and pay-to-play already, on the other hand I don't see there being four and I'd expect some significant class stuff to come in future content.

Ramirez

EDGE's Hunter comments pretty much read as "Nightstalker is back and better than ever, but we can't talk about it", honestly.

Freeman76

There is no way on gods green earth they will remove the long term investment aspects of this game. Its one of the most successful shooters of all time and they kept a LOT of people invested for a long long time. You really think they are gonna reduce it back to an '80 hour shooter' for whatever reason?

specdot

Physical or digital plz halp me decide
I was 100% on the physical train until yesterday. Allow me to expIain. I hadn't played Destiny in a while since my work schedule has been changing. To prepare for D2 I had some time to play as my wife is on break from school and she's with both our boys until they start daycare in a few weeks. As she is putting our oldest (2 years old) down for a nap, my 7 month is with me in the living room crawling around being cute and exploring. My entertainment unit has inserts where my consoles go. So I'm playing. Going ham on some fools in PvP (Nightalker 4 lyfe) and then I hear a beep. Followed by my little chunky guy laughing with the Destiny disc in his hand. It was then where I changed my Amazon preorder from physical, to digital.
Hope y'all enjoyed the story time on this wonderful day.
Can't wait to see y'all out there in Destiny 2. :)

As for "secrets and surprises":

Knowing Bungie and their track record with Destiny, it's a little foolish to assume something they haven't hinted, teased or mentioned is being "kept secret".

I'm not saying there's definitely no third subclass, but at this point it really isn't something I'd count on. At all. I'd love to be surprised? But don't get your hopes up.

Sure but when they give non-answers like this you have to think maybe there's something there.

https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/885530260371943425

ZeoVGM

Banned
Again, Destiny has not been a grind fest for a very long time. So if you're disappointed in that and you think it will impact your playtime, you must not have liked the game since pre-Taken King.

Forcing a grind to prolong the length of the game is bad game design. Bungie understood that and changed it. Destiny is not meant to be a game you play every single day of your life, though many of us still do simply because we love it. But that doesn't mean it should be a terrible grind.

You're still going to need to play Raids and Strikes multiple times to get everything. But if the past 2+ years of Destiny is a sign, you won't need to do that to hit max light.

And that's a good thing.

The goal should be to complete the campaign, reach max light and then use that power to tackle end game activities such as the new Raid. Grinding the Raid shouldn't be needed to reach max light.

Also, based on what Bungie has said, we'll be getting more frequent content updates.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The grind is now in the collectibles, obtaining unique weapons, and extras where it always should’ve been (this is good because it gives hardcore players incentive). They’ve been working to ge progression really streamlined though which is where the grind was very apparent and hated (launch and expansion 1). Luckily D1 grind has been fixed for a while. The only situation where it went way too far after the changes was the exotic sword quests.

ViciousDS

Banned
The grind is now in the collectibles, unique weapons, and extras where it should’ve been. Luckily D1 has been like that for a while.

Yup collecting the ghosts, and everything else. Game doesn't have to be a grind if you wish to complete everything truly.

So glad rolls are fucking set though, shit pissed me off

Raven117

Yeah, Destiny hasn't been crazy grindy for awhile unless you were going for a "god-roll" on any specific gun.

But man...D1...as in Vanilla before you could buy materials was insanely grindy. Hours just to upgrade ONE piece of gear.

Kinda miss those days, but still glad they are gone.

I do hope there is some grind in Destiny. Nothing punitive, but a little on the edge if you want it.

Ehker

I think the only reason I'm considering physical is for the GCU discount.

Best Buy seems to be offering it for $38 after GCU and $10 offer, plus release date shipping.

But I got the Windows version preordered, and the only physical part is the code they're sending me, so it's basically digital anyway.

Trickster

Footage jumped quite a bit and didn't really show a lot in depth, making it hard to properly judge much of what was showed.

From the footage though, public events feel way too similar to Destiny 1 for my tastes. The first one where you have to stand inside the circle and kill spawning enemies is pretty much straight out of Destiny 1. Though at least they added a new element to it with the bombardments.

The second public event was also pretty much ripped straight from Destiny 1 unless I'm miss remembering?

Lost Sector part just showed you finding the entrance and killing a few fodder enemies. Which in itself is really not interesting to me one bit

Adventures seem to offer some actual objectives at least. Though from what little was shown, I feel like there's probably a pretty big reliance on the "carry the golden ball" mechanic, which they also relied a lot on in Destiny 1.

A big part of patrols seem to be getting those tokens that you then turn in for big rewards to the npc vendor in that tower. Which is fine I guess. He's also supposed to be an npc that gives us quests if I'm not mistaken? We'll see how that works out.

Overall the vibe I got was that some of the stuff you do will feel very much like stuff you'd do in Destiny 1 patrol. You're gonna do events that are quite similar, and you're gonna get some collect x items objectives. Hopefully the new things like adventures and lost sectors will help spice things up enough

ZeoVGM

Banned
No idea why they're doing takedowns over this. What's there is completely unremarkable and barely interesting.

Most people in this thread seem to disagree with you.

But opinions on the footage aside, if they have a scheduled time to reveal the video tomorrow, it's hard to fault them for taking down leaks.

(Also, any other copy of the video up?)

Edit: Never mind, saw the link above.

Footage jumped quite a bit and didn't really show a lot in depth, making it hard to properly judge much of what was showed.

From the footage though, public events feel way too similar to Destiny 1 for my tastes. The first one where you have to stand inside the circle and kill spawning enemies is pretty much straight out of Destiny 1. Though at least they added a new element to it with the bombardments.

The second public event was also pretty much ripped straight from Destiny 1 unless I'm miss remembering?

Lost Sector part just showed you finding the entrance and killing a few fodder enemies. Which in itself is really not interesting to me one bit

Adventures seem to offer some actual objectives at least. Though from what little was shown, I feel like there's probably a pretty big reliance on the "carry the golden ball" mechanic, which they also relied a lot on in Destiny 1.

A big part of patrols seem to be getting those tokens that you then turn in for big rewards to the npc vendor in that tower. Which is fine I guess. He's also supposed to be an npc that gives us quests if I'm not mistaken? We'll see how that works out.

Overall the vibe I got was that some of the stuff you do will feel very much like stuff you'd do in Destiny 1 patrol. You're gonna do events that are quite similar, and you're gonna get some collect x items objectives. Hopefully the new things like adventures and lost sectors will help spice things up enough

I haven't watched the video. But I think the patrol stuff from Destiny 1 was fine. The problem was there were hardly any decent rewards for doing anything.
At the very least if there are good/unique rewards, and just more content - it'll already be in a good place for me.

Monocle

EDIT: Look at the link below by duhmetree instead of mine. (better quality and sound).

Here:

Part 1

Part 2

Might go down though.
Awwww yes, thanks for this.

Those videos have everything I was looking for. Expansive and pretty environments that beg to be explored, a variety of fun challenges, familiar but fresh gameplay, gorgeous art design, and engaging music. In short, more of the same but better. Exactly what I expect from good sequels.

I hope Bungie will incorporate some awe-inspiring lore along the lines of the Books of Sorrow, but for better or worse they've always had a tendency to keep the juiciest story stuff on a layer removed from gameplay, leaving it up to the player to discover a deeper resonance in settings packed with coy references to a fascinating history.

In any case I'm 100% sold now. The game looks good enough to grab on day 1.

Tovarisc

Lost Sectors are dungeons with hidden entrances and apparently should be decently lengthy to fully explore. In them you fight enemies, do platforming etc. and at the end you kill the boss for loot rewards.

Adventures are small stories and quests that give you story and lore about what ever adventure is dealing with. One adventure on Nessus is very interesting, to me at least.

Monocle

And Uncharted 4 is just Uncharted 3 with more walking sections.
See how easy it is to be so selective.
I daresay Destiny 2 has guns, which is pretty derivative if we're honest. Bungie has done guns before. I guess this is what creative bankruptcy looks like.

Trickster

Lost Sectors are dungeons with hidden entrances and apparently should be decently lengthy to fully explore. In them you fight enemies, do platforming etc. and at the end you kill the boss for loot rewards.

Adventures are small stories and quests that give you story and lore about what ever adventure is dealing with. One adventure on Nessus is very interesting, to me at least.

Oh I know what Bungie has described them as. But in terms of actual details we have very little. Saying that there's a boss and reward at the end of a lost sector really doesn't tell me much. What do they consider a boss? What kind of rewards do you get? It could be cool bosses, it could also be some really bad ones. Same thing goes for rewards. After how Destiny 1 turned out, I just need to see these things, rather than hear about them in lose terms is all

Tovarisc

Oh I know what Bungie has described them as. But in terms of actual details we have very little. Saying that there's a boss and reward at the end of a lost sector really doesn't tell me much. What do they consider a boss? What kind of rewards do you get? It could be cool bosses, it could also be some really bad ones. Same thing goes for rewards. After how Destiny 1 turned out, I just need to see these things, rather than hear about them in lose terms is all

I totally understand where you are coming from. I just wanted to flesh out little what they are supposed to be, in case you haven't followed D2 too closely.

Gator86

No idea why they're doing takedowns over this. What's there is completely unremarkable and barely interesting.

Because gameplay and content you can see is what it is. Gameplay and content you can't see is anything you can imagine, especially when the devs keep talking about how expansive and amazing everything is. There's no incentive for Bungie to show anything when they can pitch the game on the name, buzzwords, and IGN-partnered daily info drip feeds.

There's a map that flashes briefly it seems to be a zoomed in area of the EDZ.

In that zoomed in area there are 6 adventures and 12(!) lost sectors.

HOLY CRAP
00000132.png

Top Bottom