• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I said it before I'm surprised at how good Austin Creed is now at fighters. He went from button mashing to being an above average player.

shaowebb

DBFZ scans from Weekly Jump got me hype. 16,18, SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta and a finished model for Android 17 confirmed which coupled with the VA news of him having lines done makes me think Android 17 will also be announced playable eventually. Plus Party Battle in a 3v3!

Can't wait to see the assists on these folks, plus their speed and movement. Also eager to see how many new things they do for the Goku and Vegeta variants. If Decapre can play as different from Cammy as she did I have no real worry about these two having very strong distinctions and not being a lazy "Bone Claw" sorta thing.

Speaking of Bone Claw I am also pretty hyped for Marvel. Seeing Modok makes me hopeful that he'll be playable later similar to how I feel on Android 17. Also they did a much better approach to methodically laying out how Story Mode should feel once played instead of how it came across in the demo as such a shallow fandom wank. Hints at Cap/Stark strife and split in the middle of a war vs Ultron Sigma is nice. Seeing twists like Jedah and his agenda and his tactics using Venom stuff is also nice. Also glad to hear that this fighting game will launch with decent single player offline options unlike SFV.

Still feels lackluster with the base roster confirmed being so threadbare but I was already goin to go in on X and Ultron teams anyhow so I'm playing my own thing here. It really needed to be announced for next fall instead of this one IMO so it could have more things polished and more new cast so it feels less recycled but at least it looks fun. I'll likely bounce in spring for DBFZ till the DLC hits MVCI and makes it new again.

Feels good to have so many tag fighters back in the lineups. Tournaments are gonna be fucking awesome next year. Really wanna see me a party battle tourney in DBFZ at tourney. Just imagine it...a Dragon Ball Fighter Z King of Trios tourney! So good...

shaowebb

The arnold looking android and lady android are cool. Just pls give me launch to complete a team

I would love for oddballs like Launch to make it in. I'm not certain if they'll reach back to Dragonball sadly. She'd be a cool Chris Redfield/Rocket Raccoon style moveset easily with her weaponry.

Honestly Launch and folks like Roshi and Satan are folks I eagerly wanna see simply because I want to see how they handle the need for them to have homing dashes when none of them could fly. Would Launch ride a motorcycle and jump it for her dashes? Would Roshi ride on Gammara turtle? Would Satan get blown toward you by a landmine or explosive or something? It'd be really fun to see on screen how these non flyers could get thrown around to keep up. As an animation guy, this really excites me because I love how creative it could get giving folks without flight the exact same mobility. It'd also break up the animation in general out there given that to stay true to DBZ animations many moves, in spite of different utility in how they work, look similar because all DBZ energy effects are nearly the same in how they look.

Here's hoping we get some goofy cast like Launch, Roshi or Satan for the fun animations they could add :)

Dahbomb

Super Saiyan God Goku and Vegeta are lame as hell. It's Evil Ryu/Oni all over again. The game already had a lot of Saiyans, now we got clone Saiyans. In before someone tells me they aren't clones and then I roll my eyes at them.

Androids and party battle is cool though. Marvel Infinite should have had party battle as well.

Tripon

jRqAIpa.png

Update on SFV paid mods.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/6ubya8/a_little_update_on_the_sfxt_mods_forumsf5_paid/

Super Saiyan God Goku and Vegeta are lame as hell. It's Evil Ryu/Oni all over again. The game already had a lot of Saiyans, now we got clone Saiyans. In before someone tells me they aren't clones and then I roll my eyes at them.

it's like you've never played fighting games before

Village

Androids and party battle is cool though. Marvel Infinite should have had party battle as well.

They could play completely differently.

We don't know.

Also I didn't know what you exspected

I exspect 4 versions of goku and 3 versions of vegeta

Dahbomb

it's like you've never played fighting games before
Just because clones existed in FGs before doesn't mean it's an OK practice. At least games like IJ2 and MVCI are toning back on the whole clones thing.

If MVCI had blatant clones like that then all those people praising these clones in DBZ would be throwing a hissy fit over MVCI. People already didn't like having She Hulk, Taskmaster and X23 in Marvel 3, and those characters are almost assuredly going to be less clonelike than SSGSS Goku/Vegeta.

Can't wait for EVO finals where it's 3 Gokus vs 3 Vegetas LMAO! OK maybe not but you get the idea.

shaowebb

Well eye roll away. Its not like ASW to do a "Bone Claw Wolverine. I've said it before several times today...expecting them to play the same as their counterparts is like saying Decapre and Cammy play the same. Yeah its a shortcut to expand the base roster because the base models and color flats are the same but since its GG style animation they STILL have to do every frame's shaders by hand for each new animation and all the frames get the same frame by frame squash/stretch tweeking with ASW that they did for 2d stuff. They're just that particular. So yeah...saved some time but not nearly as much as folks may believe.

Its a shortcut but still takes enough work to respect them as legit efforts is all I'm saying on the modeling part.

Back on point though, they are VERY unlikely to play the same as their counterparts. Heck SSB Goku is already confirmed as an install or Frank West level up style character due to Kaioken attack being exclusive to it. Remember how different Holy Orders Sol was to regular Sol with his dash flames and stuff? Remember Robo Ky and Ky?

Wait till you see them play before you call them clones. ASW does fantastic spinoffs on templates. They tend to go pretty interesting routes. Definitely not just a Boneclaw or Evil Ryu sorta thing.

Dahbomb

People are already giving the game shit for characters playing too similar to each other. And I am not talking about random forum denizens but actual pro players who had hands on with the game. I seriously doubt that regular Vegeta and SSGSS Vegeta are going to be dramatically different characters.

Again, if this was Capcom people would have brought in the pitchforks. ArcSys is lucky that they have generated some good will as of late and that the DBZ fanbase is already used to this.

MechaX

I mean, they could end up being clones but the precedent on Arc's side in recent memory are the Sho's in Persona 4 Ultimax, and they still differed from each other in some very crucial ways.

You can eye roll, but literally the only information you have to base this argument on at this point in time is "look at Capcom"

CO_Andy

Update on SFV paid mods.
Considering SakuraSoMoe has been absent from his community for so long i doubt most over on SFxT give a shit about what he thinks.

BrutalAce is very well respected and quite active over there. He makes the effort to get new folks into modding as well as provide general advice. He has helped me on occasion tweak mods, so my opinion may be a bit bias.

shaowebb

People are already giving the game shit for characters playing too similar to each other. And I am not talking about random forum denizens but actual pro players who had hands on with the game. I seriously doubt that regular Vegeta and SSGSS Vegeta are going to be dramatically different characters.

Again, if this was Capcom people would have brought in the pitchforks. ArcSys is lucky that they have generated some good will as of late and that the DBZ fanbase is already used to this.

You're out of your mind if you believe the cast play too similar. Yeah the effects all look similar because thats DBZ animation they're emulating and its not widely varied in visuals on energy stuff and strikes but they are very much not the same.

Even the 3 OG saiyans, who are the most similar compared to Cell, Frieza, Krillin, Buu and Piccolo's styles, are very much different styles.

• Goku is the slowest of the three. Just an all around but he can convert any combo, air or ground, into his supers and his raw super is tricky for folks due to its fast startup and teleport. He's there for easy hit conversion damage. The true all rounder
  • Vegeta is a bit faster than Goku but does less damage He doesn't convert from everywhere as easily which means he has to use meter or dashes more than Goku to get around. What he makes up for is frame traps and just general pressure like high low stuff. His buttons are good and he multiple moves that hit multiple times for full screen to up close pressure and knockdown games. Basically i'd say he's the rushdown knockdown guy unlike Buu who is more a grapple knockdown sorta suffocation. Vegeta doesn't do the same damage and has to chase more but he generally pressures better.
  • Gohan is the pure rushdown guy. he corners folks easily with his mobility. His combo damage by itself is low but his meter gain is great enough to use his supers that do great damage. Basically he is the small combo template speedster who can cash out combos with super for mad damage. His assist is pretty top notch meaning he is fantastic for partnering with for DHC stuff and in general more able to be used as in assist based and setup style play leading to his tag in and cornering. Not a knockdown sorta guy or lockdown sorta guy like Vegeta...he just sorta backs you up and makes you hold that shit. Not an all around who converts off any touch like Goku, but once he corners he gets damage quick. He's speed, pressure and big enders. Out of the three Id say he's more balanced for tag play and assisting in setups given how good his assist is. So While Goku and Vegeta tend to solo, Gohan has a more team setup style in mind and is probably one of the best to tag in for a combo ender. After all he earned that combo for you by setting it up with his assist for a mixup anyways. Damned fine anchor character.

Thats distinct even from the 3 most similar guys. And in a game where you have projectile immune dashes to use having different types of rushdown is pretty big. Do you play knockdown games and suffocate? Do you just wanna convert and get outta there? Do you want someone who can corner and punish but who can add synergy to teams? You basically got two who do fine all around but work solo and one who has the best cornering but is meter reliant and better off used in a team minded style of mixup/combos than just pushing on alone earning and burning his own meter. So two that rock any position and one who is good but works best at 2nd or anchor due to how he strengthens teams and grows more useful with meter.

Their are lots of things in DBFZ. Not noticing it almost requires not caring about the game. Its fine if folks like MVCI, but its totally okay to like both. All these statements of folks playing the same are probably the best example of everyone favorite term "Hyperbole" their is right now because they are literally "exaggerated statements or claims not to be taken literally."

No one is the same in DBFZ. I hope folks get over this MVCI or DBFZ sorta stuff enough to at least make realistic criticisms of the two. I get pissed at MVCI all the time for the roster, and graphics, and DLC exclusive new cast like we all do but those are legit gripes and I follow it up with a very important fact...MVCI still looks fun as fuck. DBFZ though I'm not seeing anything to gripe about yet I see folks using Hyperbole to try and lash back at it for stealing MVCI thunder so easily and then acting like it isn't fun or some shit when its hype as fuck just like Marvel is. Only thing I can say is that special effects in DBZ look very similar which leads to a lot of simlar looking specials but its show accurate so what can you do? Having several goku, vegeta, or gohan to play is something that doesn't bother me but I get that it tweaks some folks to have the same guy literally make up their whole team. Yeah well I played Kyo, EX Kyo and K' in KOF 13 for awhile and i've seen plenty of Evil Ryu, Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Oni, Sakura, Gouken and other Shoto love so believe me when I say you get over it quickly enough once the match starts.

Sorry MVCI is losing its thunder coinciding so often to more polished looking content news from DBFZ hitting along side it all the time but its no reason to try and just make it seem like DBFZ is somehow a redundant cast filled with redundant moveset playstyles when very much the opposite is the case.

I noticed when Marvel Infinite was first revealed to be 2v2, shaowebb was the first one to be on board while a bunch here didn't like it.

Then when people on this forum reached their acceptance stage of their grief, "How many other fighting games explore 2v2?" etc, shao was giving his attention to DBZF

It's like he's ahead of everyone.

shaowebb

I noticed when Marvel Infinite was first revealed to be 2v2, shaowebb was the first one to be on board while a bunch here didn't like it.

Then when people on this forum reached their acceptance stage of their grief, "How many other fighting games explore 2v2?" etc, shao was giving his attention to DBZF

It's like he's ahead of everyone.

I honestly only lost hype for MVCI for the same reasons as everyone else. I wasn't ahead of anything, capcom was just behind the competition. I wanted more new cast and I wanted more polish on what was there and didn't get it. I was always on the idea of 2v2, less tod, breakers and tags and potentially arcana stuff in Marvel. That shit is still hype as fuck that its in too and gives me a raging boner every time I think about using that shit.

I really really really wanted it to have assists over its tag system but I can deal. However, DBFZ gave me tags, polish, assists, homing dash stuff from Arcana plus a ton of other stuff. Between the two...theres just more to be excited about with DBFZ for me even as a TVC guy seemingly getting most of my dreams in MVCI to happen.

If MVCI polishes up and gets that DLC sooner rather than later you'll see me torn on which I should be playing lol. MVCI should've been announced this year for next fall IMO. It would've been better for it. Im still all over both, but I gotta keep pointing out that MVCI needs to get its shit together same as everyone else should be pointing it out in hopes that they dont just call it a day. Some of this stuff really really hurts Capcom and they dont even know it. They need to have a better image to consumers and when both the FGC and casuals can easily gripe on what should be a dream project...well its time to speak up.

Dahbomb can tell you though...MVCI has a TON of parallels to stuff in my early bible that I drummed up with Q. It has a lot of what I wanted to see in a fighter and addresses a lot of what I thought should change in Marvel. I can't not be hyped about that. It just didn't polish it up or follow through on adding enough new roster is all and hopefully that changes. Till then though you'll easily see me gushing more on DBFZ news as MVCI has a lot of catching up to do. Till then...Marvel hasn't given me any news in awhile that was something I didn't already know. Can't really expect me to go crazy everytime I'm shown stuff I already knew about. DBFZ is just having a run of fresh news thats hard to top is all. Fingers crossed on a fast DLC cycle on MVCI so I can get to them new experiences.

Dahbomb

Dude you just copy pasted your post from the other thread. LMAO! I read that post in that thread too.

In any case I wasn't saying that the characters are the same, just that the pro players were saying that the game was lacking in diversity. I didn't mind it much because ArcSys said that the initial characters were more basic and standard. But then they announced second version of Goku and Vegeta which got a big fat meh from me.

2v2 in Marvel is lame but the tag system is at least nice.

shaowebb

Dude you just copy pasted your post from the other thread. LMAO! I read that post in that thread too.

In any case I wasn't saying that the characters are the same, just that the pro players were saying that the game was lacking in diversity. I didn't mind it much because ArcSys said that the initial characters were more basic and standard. But then they announced second version of Goku and Vegeta which got a big fat meh from me.

2v2 in Marvel is lame but the tag system is at least nice.

Paraphrased not copy pasted. Been having to repeat myself a lot tonight lol. Having 3 Kyo's when you were after one single non remix can be something I relate to but its ASW and theres already loud distinctions described for one of the Blue Saiyans. Just wait to pass judgment is all I'm saying with those two additions. Some forms in that anime are so distinct that they pretty much have to be a seperate character. Those and adult Gohan are prime examples of turning points in characters and shows that just feel seperate and ASW does really distinctive things like Robo Ky when tasked with that sorta thing.

2v2 marvel isn't lame in my eyes. I love 2v2 over 3v3. Most folks just end up with one or two dudes they play well and the third is utility. Failing that its a purely frontloaded scenario for 3v3 teams. Plus in 3v3 I really think that to combat the timer damage gets a little high to prevent timer scam frequency and that just leads to more and more frequent TOD as a game progresses. 2v2 means you can have characters live longer and it leads to more back and forth scrambles and comebacks IMO. Plus folks specialize harder with one less character to focus on.

I like the tag system but I still prefer that assists be on deck even with the tags. Having a gem act like an attack though mitigates this somewhat as well as having a partner with traps, or summons to use like a faux assist.

Between MVCI and DBFZ i'd have to say MVCI is honestly the one with more parellels to my own desires for a game. I dig the arcana like gems a lot. DBFZ ended up with the Arcana Heart homing dashes and even a new take on that as well. It kept assists and 3v3 and I'm down for that even though I do prefer 2v2. I dig its solution to incoming mixup unblockables and shit...just have them go back to neutral.

I dunno. I just love lots on each game. Its like both had very similar ideas on where to look and what to address and took it in different directions. MVCI is closer to what I wanted but its missing the assist based core now and it severely needs polish and cast added. DBFZ added the mobilty, kept assists, and has a lot of polish on cast, modes and movesets that are neat but it doesn't adhere to some other things I prefer like teamsize and assist flexibility not locking you into certain pairings. I like either universal assists to equip or arcana like tools more than your dude has this assist setups.

I like both. They both run close to what i hope one day to make. I haven't gotten far in the past year due to overtime, promotions and near non stop training at the plant but I still like seeing things I dreamed of appear in any game even if its not the same game as mine or even all of it in the same single game since its a split between MVCI and DBFZ.

All I know is that I'll have a good year and tournies will be more hype for me to watch than they have been in years.

Dahbomb

lone dragon must be rubbing off on dahbomb because dahbomb out here defending capcom with the asw clones
LOL I am not defending Capcom, I hate it when Capcom does this too. In fact, Capcom is the worst when it comes to clones in FGs.

And if you have actually been following my posts outside of FGW you would know that I have been taking a massive dump on both MVCI and Capcom lately. In fact, someone actually asked the differences among the Saiyans in DBZ and I also wrote down their play styles like Shaowebb did only with less hyperbole and words.

No one in their right minds would accuse me of shilling for Capcom. Though if Capcom were to send me checks I will gladly state that MVCI is the best video game of all time. I would go as far as to not only say that it's the best game ever (eclipsing Basketball, Chess, Solitaire) but the best thing created by mankind (better than antibiotics, insulin, light bulb, telephone and the Internet).

shaowebb

Id honestly say that theres probably no one here who feels more hurt by capcom half assing large portions of a Marvel sequel than Dahbomb. When he supports capcom though its just far louder than most is why you might miss those moments. Marvels his baby though... no one likes to see their baby hurt.

Dont worry though. Im sure if anyone was cut just to be DLC that they would milk a dollar out of you for, its Vergil so you got that fee to look forward to. I just wish we weren't all waiting for DLC to a game thats already coming out soon in order to make it feel complete. They really should've delayed this till next fall and announced it at this E3. The timetable would've lined up for a proper stream of steady information like MVC3 and it could've received a better core roster and polish.

Village

Unlikely. SSB is still technically movie territory.

The closest thing we're getting to non-DBZ at launch is Broly, guaranteed.

Broly is DBZ, he's a DBZ movie.

Non Z is firmly

Dragonball/GT/Super. Movies that take place in Z are Z , just... mostly not canon.

Then you have other odd balls, like Arale From Dr.Slump, and Jaco The space patrolman, who aren't techically even from dragon ball. But they exist in universe, who could legit be characters in this game.

If they really are going with Super stuff now then that's even less interest I have in that game. If you're going to have like 20 characters in a DB game and decide to not focus on a single arc, you're just asking for a crappy roster.

I'd rather they just stuck with Z and made DBS stuff DLC or put it in the sequel that totally isn't coming out next year.

Top Bottom