• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you *think* only you on GAF have played

6ntDA.png

I seem to remember this wasn't that bad a game. I played a little of it (I believe I rented it once), and I remember Nintendo Power had a big feature on it way back when.

Rolo to the Rescue
Another tough-as-nails platformer for the Genesis (seeing a pattern here?) that I believe I got for my fifth-or-so birthday. Designed by the James Pond blokes (he even gets a cameo!), and published by Electronic Arts back when they weren't winning golden feces, it's actually fairly solid, if a bit lengthy for a game with no save feature. You have to save all your friends by killing a dude with a big hat and a key, then using that key to automatically open any cages you pass by. Your friends all have specific skills, too, so you then have to switch to and use them to clear a way to your other friends for you, but they're all one-hit wonders - and if you get hit with them in tow, one will run away, possibly rendering a level unwinnable without restarting it. I recall being weirded out by the Blockbuster Video sticker our cart had on it, and the strange design of the cartridge (which, in retrospect, all EA Genesis games sported), thinking this was either a rental or a strange bootleg, but nope, it's mine, and it's legit. Anyway, have a video.

This game is awesome. It's easily one of the best unknown games for the Genesis/Mega Drive. I rented it so many times I lost track. Don't let the cutesie designs fool you, GAF.

Asterix and the Great Rescue
This was actually my first interaction with anything Asterix, although I kind of liked it, despite it being hard as a rock. Just a somewhat mediocre platformer, but I rather liked it regardless. You guessed it - have a video.

I remember renting this once, too. I didn't really enjoy it, as I recall. I had no idea who Asterix was at the time.

Endesu

wM8ej.jpg

By Deadline Games, the guys who did total overdose. The game was point and click but the graphics was stop motion, it looked pretty awesome at the time. You play as a schizofrenic person with multiple personalities, who wakes up next to a headless corpse, and have no idea who or where you are, and from there on you have to remember. It was a lot about choices and the story would change depending on whatever you did.

Duw05.jpg
SYpPz.jpg

QD6sp.jpg
VzAXr.jpg

The devs with a set :

IyPYD.jpg
XLJNn.jpg
oqMnJ.jpg
9WS9R.jpg

I remember reading about this game, and always wanted to play it... sadly it's almost impossible to find any information on it. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places?

iratA

Firstly I've gotta say I love this thread.

Secondly just on some of the games already mentioned:

Aldo's Adventure - really enjoyed this back in day
Bio Menace - Hell Yeah also reminds me of 'Blackthorne' for some reason, loved that one.
Conquest of Camelot - All of the old school Sierra games need the Monkey Island 1&2 'Special Edition' Treatment if you ask me.

OK here's my list of classic PC stuff that might not have been played by much of GAF:

Battletech, Battletech 2: Crescent Hawks Revenge
Battle Bugs (A Sierra Tactical Strategy Game that rocked) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unqC_Fsj7Rs
Body Blows, Ultimate Body Blows
Code Name: Iceman
Fury Of The Furries (cool Platformer with a unique twist) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM5ZbpRbbsg
First Samurai
Heart Of China
Pacific Islands (Tank Strategy Game of the forever, no seriously it is) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAUADm_M91g
Special Forces
Troddlers (kind of a lemmings clone but with a charm of its own) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJyyVKaSNs
Xargon
Yo Joe

Some other classics from the 8-Bit days
Behind Jaggi Lines (mostly known as: Rescue on Fractalus) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZ-chrOgGg
M.U.L.E.
Agent USA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RicwGgOrJAY
Shamus

Space Shuttle for Colecovision:

s_SpaceShuttle_1.png

Destination Earthstar for NES:

250px-Destination_Earthstar_Cover.jpg

Destination1.gif

I had no idea how to play Space Shuttle as a kid. Destination Earthstar was fucking awesome though.

ToxicAdam

This was actually a pretty popular game back in the late 80's, but I'm not sure if many gaffers played it:

Nuclear_war_game_box_art.jpg

Leader select screen:
nuclear-war_1.jpg

Strategy select screen:
nuclear-war_2.jpg

A real simple, turn-based strategy game. Not much to the game, but it was pretty colorful and funny (in a dark way).

I remember reading about this game, and always wanted to play it... sadly it's almost impossible to find any information on it. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong places?

I got a copy of it laying around somewhere. Sadly it won't work on anything but windows 95 so have never re played it.

Kazzy

250px-Cyborg_Justice_Coverart.png

Cyborg Justice

I nominate this purely for the fact that I have never heard it mentioned outside of a few brief instances, and even it's been entirely contained to one corner of the internet. It had a quirky gameplay mechanic in that you could replace your own body parts with those of your enemies, which I seem to remember making everything easy. It wasn't particularly long, and I'm pretty sure it didn't have a final boss, but I still remember it fondly. Fucking nostalgia!

250px-DragonRageCover.JPG

Dragon Rage

I really doubt that I'd treading on any toes by saying this game was beyond awful, there was nothing redeeming about it whatsoever. It looked bad, played bad, the design was uninspiring, I could go on.

It's relatively obscure for a reason, I can't believe that I played it!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Team 47 Goman for the PC comes to mind although I was never able to put my hands on the full version. Only played the demo.

Warrior Kings - PC/Mac
I got this game at BigLots for a few bucks a while back and played it a bit when I got it. From what I can remember, it was an RTS and it wasn't very good. It also doesn't seem like it got very much attention, but I'm not too sure.

Time Stalkers/Climax Landers - Sega Dreamcast

Known as Time Stalkers in the US and Climax Landers everywhere else. I got this for Chrsitmas one year. From what I can remember, it was a fairly anticipated title, as it was one of the first RPGs for the Dreamcast. But it doesn't seem like it faired very well with the press, especially after the delays. It was a turn-based dungeon crawler with a significant monster-capturing mechanic. I still play it to this day.

Toy Commander - Sega Dreamcast

This game is an action game that has you commanding multiple types of toy vehicles in order to complete missions. I got it for Christmas one year and had a blast with it. But to me, it didn't seem like it got very much attention after release (I could be wrong). Multiplayer was especially a blast, and I still play it to this day.

And I love seeing other Dreamcast games like Demolition Racer: No Exit and Stupid Invaders getting some love in this thread.

MizzouRah

if9w9.jpg

Shitty Men in Black PC game from 1997. Probably a few here have played it. Aunno.

As I recall, it was a pretty crappy Resident Evil clone with the movie license.

Ehhh... I actually still have the disc around back home. I should dust that off.

Acrylic7

gooftroopsnesusovpv54e.jpg

Fun as hell. especially with Co-Op
very very Fun, still play to this day.

FurFightersViggosRevenge.jpg

BEST THIRD PERSON SHOOTER EVER/
long live Dreamcast

really interested to see who played these.

Anteater

gooftroopsnesusovpv54e.jpg

Fun as hell. especially with Co-Op
very very Fun, still play to this day.
really interested to see who played these.

I've played that, rented it back in the days, played most of the Capcom games back then, I think someone made a thread about it on gaf not long ago to ask if there are similar games to it.

I suspect there's not many who played the win 3.1 or masterpiece version(NOT the snes one) of this:

L0sa2.jpg

Coolest thing about the pc versions was seeing missiles go from window to window. Sadly I couldn't find a 95-xp(where windows were far apart and the missile would travel through your desktop) screenshot, but here it is on 3.1:

mXSmS.png

Porky Pigs Haunted Holiday.

I had my pick of anything on that Toysrus shelf, and i ended up with that. My darkest moment. Still havent meet someone who has heard of it.

Vard

The dreamcast game I think it was called the Floogle Brothers or something. I fucking loved that game but no one I talk to has ever played it.

Floigan Brothers. I still have it and played through it when it first came out.

Same thing with Fur Fighters for Dreamcast, which was mentioned earlier on this page. I remember thinking it was pretty hard - don't think I ever got past the Dam level. The multiplayer mode in that game is/was? awesome.

Had a quick browse through the thread, ones I've played are:

Descent(packard bell freebie with my first cd-rom pc)
Dink Smallwood
Wachenroder
Robotrek
Ironsword : Wizards & Warriors 2(be surprised if there's many people who had a nes and hadn't played this to be honest)
Heart of Darkness
Unirally
Spider-man Cartoon Maker (So cool! Was another pack-in on my first computer with a cd-rom drive!)
custom robo(if the gc version)
Fllight of the Amazon Queen - it's fairly well regarded by point & click fans, and I suspect quite a few people her have played it.(By the same token, I suspect a lot of people have played phantasmagoria, though I have not since I had more trouble getting into first person adventure games)
Timestalkers
Guardians Crusade
And shadows of the damned is obviously a lame bomba joke.

cilonen

I'm glad to see a few people who know about GNOME, I'm the only one of my friends who has heard of or played the thing. I'm gonna throw another one out there, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE has played this game.
Stgx8.jpg

I've mentioned it in a few threads here but no one has ever acknowledged. If you had Sega Channel you've played this game!

Count me in for this, great game.

My offering is Emmet Attack on the Vic20:

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/12710/Emmet-Attack/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsf6Q-gRlNY

Mista Koo

Unfortunately I don't remember the titles of the very obscure games that I've played :(
I mean one of them was Japanese game featuring a blue headed Jack who would throw his head at his enemies to hurt them while climbing the beanstalk.

18wZm.jpg

My mom bought this for me. Bomberman style game where you draw circles around rats and crush them or something.

wrkkK.jpg

It was a weird Risk style strategy game mixed with a 3D platformer/brawler. I think this was the first (and until recently) only strategy game I ever had.

YYNUj.jpg

A pretty good mission based platformer by Traveller's Tales.

0yknu.jpg

A 3rd person shooter. Probably the first shooter I've ever played?

oRtPz.jpg

My friend and I tried the Genesis version in a shop thinking it was the next Quackshot. It wasn't.

PnPzD.jpg

A PS2 2.5D platformer. I don't remember anything other than that chili makes you mad and strong.

939702_88499_front.jpg

The second one is a Mario Party clone. Except it barely has any rules regarding the board game parts. Theres only 4 or so minigames. Don't remember all of them but one's a racing game. Another is a Bomberman clone.
Played it at my cousin's. I also played a Jungle Book one (a rhythm game or something).

I remember playing a similar RC game, but IIRC it was on PC.

eeeeh...i'll go with custom robo. always get dead silence when i mention it
I've played the DS version.

IGoofy's Hysterical History Tour
I believe I got this game with my console, among many many others (most of my Genesis library, in all honesty). It's no Quackshot, but it's another fairly solid platformer that's ridiculously difficult. Gameplay centers around this hand-extending gizmo Goofy invented as he travels through time - well, more like imagines travelling through time while cleaning a museum out (don't ask, the plot makes no sense). On the plus side, this is one of the few games I can think of to have even a level devoted to the American Revolution - a fairly untapped set piece, really (and yes, I'm aware of AC3). I'm going to mix things up a bit and let you have a video.
My cousin who lived next door had this game. My friend loved it so much that he would want to go play it whenever he visited me.

Jasconius

e66cG.gif

Did anyone play Continuum??

All of my friends on IRC played this back in the day (when it was called Subspace), so of course I did too. I was pretty terrible, though...

I think my games would be the floppy disk full that my dad brought home to play on our 286, I'm guessing that someone he knew let him copy. One of my favorites was Sopwith (it was called Red Baron on my version):
sopwith-6.gif

Wildcatter - drill for oil and natural gas!
wildcat.jpg

Trucker - check out the gas prices! (actually it was only $0.86/gallon in Barstow!)
gw_001.png

Lots of others too.

Also, probably some others have played it, especially in Europe? but I've never heard anyone else talk about Slicks 'n' Slide, the first game I ever sent in money to get the full version for. Found it on one of those 101 shareware games discs, and it was so awesome!
slicks-n-slide-screenshot.png

whitehawk

Banned
California Games 2

GIj6F.jpg

Kzwq2.gif

I remember renting this from Blockbuster a few times and playing it with my parents. We seemed to enjoy it for some reason.

Joni

Toy Commander - Sega Dreamcast. This game is an action game that has you commanding multiple types of toy vehicles in order to complete missions. I got it for Christmas one year and had a blast with it. But to me, it didn't seem like it got very much attention after release (I could be wrong). Multiplayer was especially a blast, and I still play it to this day.
Always thought it was one of the better known DreamCast games. I own it, I played it.

Gotcha_Force_Coverart.png
Say you've played it. I bet none of you have
Own it, played it, didn't like it.

PnPzD.jpg

A PS2 2.5D platformer. I don't remember anything other than that chili makes you mad and strong.
Really liked it, played it on both Game Boy Advance and PS1.

My own contribution is the Belgian version of this game. It is a football management game with the Belgian/Dutch competition.
Competitie_Manager_2000_(1999).jpg

Mass Effect 2.

Because everyone else seems to have played a shitty game and I didn't.

In all seriousness, though, I remember playing some weird quiz show/arena game on the original Xbox that seemed pretty obscure. :lol

waterwld.jpg

This was a rare game. It was originally released only through the Atari Club. But also a very limited number of copies were sold in retail stores. I already had Earthworld and Fireworld and one day I saw Waterworld and brought it home. The Swordquest games had these contests and the grand prizes were always a solid gold Objet d'art. You never see anything like that anymore.

Space Shuttle for Colecovision:

s_SpaceShuttle_1.png

I had no idea how to play Space Shuttle as a kid.

I had it for 2600. I managed to finish it a few times. Once you knew how to do it, the mission lasted maybe 5-10 minutes IIRC ? Basically you had to launch, rendevouz in orbit with a satellite, and renter the atmosphere without burning up and land safely. It was a good game for the time period.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
250px-EOE_-_Eve_of_Extinction.jpg

I will always be Customer number 1. No one else played this game but me.

And if someone did(God bless you) I know damn well they had too much sense to actually finish it. Unlike me.

To this games credit, it was one of the originators of QTE. RE4 and GoW are just posers.

Sordid

jbl0v7NHt94snb.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HawjO0w1Eug

God I loved this game on the Master System, no idea if it's really obscure but I've never seen anyone mention it. I never managed to complete it :*(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnd07fYshsM

I don't remember much about this except my mates and I enjoyed it at the time, can't imagine why!

jbwrywc8wgnX23.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQlVtSS2xo&feature=related

I'd imagine this was more popular than the other 2 but playing Trials recently reminded me of it so I added it anyway.

I got a copy of it laying around somewhere. Sadly it won't work on anything but windows 95 so have never re played it.

Did the game see release outside of Denmark ever? Because I've never heard of it being published anywhere else.

But in general the game tanked so hard, and the developers had to resort back to edutainment for awhile before going at it again with Watchmen, Overdose and Faith.

Top Bottom