• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Okay... I need an ELI5 because I am both confused and pissed off as to what the story of this series has become with DDD and UnionX. Keep in mind I don't play UnionX but I've seen several things pop into my Youtube feed this week.

1.How is this game canon when so many continuity issues are present?
2. How the hell is Ventus even there at this point?
3. What kind of sense does it make to put Marluxia's human form into this narrative as a Keyblade wielder when literally NOTHING in the plot thus far even vaguely pointed to it?!

Just... what is even going on here.

Malyse

I mean, I've been in the thick of this for more than four years now and I got no explanations. Take that to mean what you will.

I mean, I've been following happenings in KHX casually just for the sake of curiosity, despite being rather sceptical about the whole thing from the start.

I guess my main issue is setting up the Keyblade War as this massive and mysterious cataclysmic event in Birth by Sleep and then having said mystery be told to us through a mobile gacha game. A mobile gacha game that is both canon and seemingly creating more continuity problems for the series instead of fixing the ones we already have.

See, what we forget to consider is that Nomura probably doesn't even know what's going on with the mobile story.

He basically retconned his own story with Unchained, no?

Famassu

I mean, I've been following happenings in KHX casually just for the sake of curiosity, despite being rather sceptical about the whole thing from the start.

I guess my main issue is setting up the Keyblade War as this massive and mysterious cataclysmic event in Birth by Sleep and then having said mystery be told to us through a mobile gacha game. A mobile gacha game that is both canon and seemingly creating more continuity problems for the series instead of fixing the ones we already have.
In the end, the Keyblade War itself isn't really featured heavily or shown all that much in KHUX. To the point that it has felt like they are avoiding showing it so deliberately that I kind of hope that the main event will be featured heavily in KHIII somehow (epic flashback or even a playable scenario in some way).

It gives a little more detail about what lead to the war but most of it is pretty meaningless fluff extension of what we already kind of knew about the main gist of things (keyblade peeps start fighting over light, now we just know there were competing unions & their arguing leaders behind it, which doesn't really recontextualize what we know of the war much). Master of Masters & the black box seem to be the only meaningful additions that will possibly be featured heavily in KHIII, and even then they are such miniscule part of what has happened in the Chi timeline so far that KHUX might just as well not exist and their introduction could be in KHIII without them feeling like a lot of backstory is missing.

As to Marluxia & Ventus being there, I'm sure there's some magic hijinks involved that explain how they are there and pop up a long time later in the more current timeline. Maybe this explains a bit why Ventus is such a special person that Master Xehanort was pursuing him.

Malyse

See, what we forget to consider is that Nomura probably doesn't even know what's going on with the mobile story.

He basically retconned his own story with Unchained, no?

No. Frustratingly, the story of [chi] and Unchained are both separate and both canon. Basically, (chi) you live through the events, go through the War and pretty close to die, get a reset (unchained), live through the same events again, make the same choice and then people decide no, fuck that, wipe their memory and pretend they made the other choice (union). So everything is canon, you're just stuck in a loop.

In hindsight, it's hilarious the trouble that the powers that be go through to keep your dumb ass alive.

Famassu

Possible but I don't think it's guaranteed. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they showed first proper footage of something like the Frozen or Big Hero 6 worlds (proper meaning actual cutscenes, Rapunzel fighting alongside Sora etc.) if it is there, doubtful they'll show a new world (at least in any major way). If it is there, I'm personally expecting a short new trailer with a little bit of new footage from already announced worlds and maybe at least hints of some new/returning features & gameplay systems (maybe the first summon or something).

All in all, I don't really expect to see too much of KHIII until Jump Festa. Maybe a small presence at TGS, Paris Game Week and/or PSX. I could see Jump Festa getting another world reveal. After that I imagine the Japanese D23 event in 2018 might have an actual date announcement (much like FFXV had its own in that March event) and they'll escalate the hype cycle from that point forward

Are we expecting another trailer at TGS?

My take on it is: No. Not impossible but I don't expect anything.

I don't think we are going to see anything too big before D23 in February. We might get one smaller trailer before but I think Jump Festa is the place to drop it if it happens. Likely would be a trailer focusing (almost) entirely on Tangled to show the progression, kinda like what they did with Olympus at the concert/E3. I don't think we are going to see BH6 before next year.

We got 2 trailers back to back just a few months ago, they can let it cook for a while. As for what Famassu said about solid date, I think it will be at E3 and not February just because they wouldn't want to commit to a date too soon.

My Square Enix trailer meter for KH3 says:
TGS: 20% chance.
JF: 70% chance.

Possible but I don't think it's guaranteed. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they showed first proper footage of something like the Frozen or Big Hero 6 worlds (proper meaning actual cutscenes, Rapunzel fighting alongside Sora etc.) if it is there, doubtful they'll show a new world (at least in any major way). If it is there, I'm personally expecting a short new trailer with a little bit of new footage from already announced worlds and maybe at least hints of some new/returning features & gameplay systems (maybe the first summon or something).

All in all, I don't really expect to see too much of KHIII until Jump Festa. Maybe a small presence at TGS, Paris Game Week and/or PSX. I could see Jump Festa getting another world reveal. After that I imagine the Japanese D23 event in 2018 might have an actual date announcement (much like FFXV had its own in that March event) and they'll escalate the hype cycle from that point forward

I'm willing to bet anything by the way that Frozen will be announced at D23, no way it will happen before. I think we have 3 Disney worlds left to reveal and they will be all shown next year (D23, E3 and whenever, might even blow out 2 of em at either of those).

Famassu

I'm willing to bet anything by the way that Frozen will be announced at D23, no way it will happen before. I think we have 3 Disney worlds left to reveal and they will be all shown next year (D23, E3 and whenever, might even blow out 2 of em at either of those).
Oh, lol, I meant Tangled, not Frozen. :D

zeemumu

I'm replaying KH1 Final Mix on the PS4 and encountered a bug in Halloweentown where Sora just starts swinging wildly during the keyhole sealing cutscene. I got part of it on video so I'll try to upload at some point

Tsunamo

I'm replaying KH1 Final Mix on the PS4 and encountered a bug in Halloweentown where Sora just starts swinging wildly during the keyhole sealing cutscene. I got part of it on video so I'll try to upload at some point
Oh man that's great. Up until now it was only thought to be possible here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQoURY5ask
Seems pretty straightforward to me.

This may seem strange to say, but it's concerning that Global will get pets long before we see the cutscene that explains why they're in the game. It's the Power/Strength Bangle all over again.
Out of context it sounds pretty funny though.

I still feel like not canonising browser Chi would've made things a bit simpler, or at least including browser chis story outside of that one outlet, so without the context of the original it seems quite confusing.

But yeah the pet cutscene's gonna be a bit hard to explain. I suppose they could just assume it happened earlier in the dream considering Union happens behind the scenes.

Good job on the new community, Malyse. Hopefully I'll be joining you guys eventually
to give shit to X <3
when the registeration is available.

Malyse

Good job on the new community, Malyse. Hopefully I'll be joining you guys eventually
to give shit to X <3
when the registeration is available.

Thanks. I found out the hard way that there's a 40 image limit when I tried to upload all the covers of the manga and novels, lol.

Top Bottom