• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(07-17-2017, 09:37 PM)
GK86's Avatar
I couldn't find a YT link, so instagram video will have to do for now.

In case you are wondering what she says, "Why me? Why don't you arrest the gangsters? Why bother someone trying to make a living?" Something like that. I can't hear it clearly.

This makes me sad. The poor woman was so scared that she pissed herself. Just fucking give her a ticket/warning and tell her to be on her way. This reminds me of the Washington DC story about the teens selling water and being placed in handcuffs. But I'm glad the cops are keeping the streets safe from water and flower vendors.
NoRéN
Member
(07-17-2017, 09:51 PM)
NoRéN's Avatar
Yeah, this stuff has been happening in my neighborhood too.

Unfortunately, as shown in he fact that's this has been up for 12 minutes with little response on here, hispanics aren't really a priority when it comes to liberal outrage.
ElectricBlanketFire
Banned
(07-17-2017, 09:52 PM)
ElectricBlanketFire's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoRéN

Yeah, this stuff has been happening in my neighborhood too.

Unfortunately, as shown in he fact that's this has been up for 12 minutes with little response on here, hispanics aren't really a priority when it comes to liberal outrage.

There's nothing about race in the thread title and I would have commented on it but didn't see it.

Glad things are so good that arresting flower vendors is top priority.
jooey
The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
(07-17-2017, 09:58 PM)
jooey's Avatar
she could have been funneling her profits to terrorists, you just can't be too sure
Captin Quacker
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:00 PM)
Captin Quacker's Avatar
I'm confident this had nothing to do with meeting a quota and totally posed a serious threat as she pissed herself
RS4-
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:01 PM)
RS4-'s Avatar
All that for goddamn flowers. Clearly the cops and laws have their priorities in place.

Fuck cops.
Dartastic
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:02 PM)
Dartastic's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoRéN

Yeah, this stuff has been happening in my neighborhood too.

Unfortunately, as shown in he fact that's this has been up for 12 minutes with little response on here, hispanics aren't really a priority when it comes to liberal outrage.

Hey, you should GTFO here with those sorts of basic generalizations.

I feel terrible for this woman. Such a crock of shit. Fuck the police.
platocplx
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:03 PM)
platocplx's Avatar
they call this broken windows policing. It needs to stop. worrying about small offenses like this is a waste of resources and they think stopping this stuff prevents larger crimes. it doesnt. Its awful this kind of stuff happens daily for the smallest of offenses, Jay walking, Loitering etc they shouldnt ever have to escalate like this and frankly arent the reason for most crimes.
BrutishMrFish
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:05 PM)
BrutishMrFish's Avatar
Just give her a warning or make her pay a fine if it's that big of a deal, for fuck's sake.
R0ckman
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:06 PM)
R0ckman's Avatar
I'm just so, so tired of this. No regard of the elderly.

Poor woman doesn't realize that to arrest gangsters they need to start with themselves in their own organizations.
commedieu
Banned
(07-17-2017, 10:07 PM)
Well. I knew it was a minority from the title alone. Clicked to find out which variant.
Enzom21
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:08 PM)
Enzom21's Avatar

Originally Posted by platocplx

they call this broken windows policing. It needs to stop. worrying about small offenses like this is a waste of resources and they think stopping this stuff prevents larger crimes. it doesnt. Its awful this kind of stuff happens daily for the smallest of offenses, Jay walking, Loitering etc they shouldnt ever have to escalate like this and frankly arent the reason for most crimes.

No, this is a revenue stream. The city of Ferguson is a perfect example of how law enforcement uses petty shit like this to fleece residents.

Policing for Profit

Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing… City officials routinely urge [the FPD] to generate more revenue through enforcement. – “Investigation of the Ferguson Police Department,” p. 2

What this means in practice is that the city actually made parts of its budget dependent on revenues from fines collected by police. This created an incentive for police to hassle people over even the most harmless infractions if it meant they could earn a buck for local government.

For lower-income people and small businesses, this is economically devastating: “These aren’t violent criminals. These are people who make the same mistakes you or I do — speeding, not wearing a seatbelt, forgetting to get your car inspected on time. The difference is that they don’t have the money to pay the fines. Or they have kids, or jobs that don’t allow them to take time off for two or three court appearances. When you can’t pay the fines, you get fined for that, too. And when you can’t get to court, you get an arrest warrant.”

As Reason puts it, this amounts to treating “residents as revenue streams.” It should be more reminiscent of the abuses of the rich nobles in the story of Robin Hood than anything in an ostensibly free country.

____
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:09 PM)

Originally Posted by commedieu

Well. I knew it was a minority from the title alone. Clicked to find out which variant.

Not gonna lie I assumed black, but was unsurprised nonetheless.
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(07-17-2017, 10:11 PM)
NipplesAndToes23's Avatar
I was worried something like this was going to happen to me the other week.
ghostofsparta
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:16 PM)
ghostofsparta's Avatar
I imagine this happens a lot. Protesting/lobbying is the only way cities & states will legalize street vending.

LA voted to decriminalize street vending. I'm not sure how it's working out, hopefully well.
Jombie
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:19 PM)
Jombie's Avatar

Originally Posted by jooey

she could have been funneling her profits to terrorists, you just can't be too sure

If you see something, say something.
ImaLemming
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:20 PM)
ImaLemming's Avatar

Originally Posted by GK86

But I'm glad the cops are keeping the streets safe from water and flower vendors.

Maybe they're trying to keep the flower vendors safe from the streets. Never know when a silver-haired man with a giant katana is going to show up.
Nekofrog
Banned
(07-17-2017, 10:24 PM)
Nekofrog's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoRéN

Yeah, this stuff has been happening in my neighborhood too.

Unfortunately, as shown in he fact that's this has been up for 12 minutes with little response on here, hispanics aren't really a priority when it comes to liberal outrage.

Oh yeah, I look at my priority chart every night before going to bed and every morning before going to work before I bother to spend my Liberal Outrage Points on a worthless hispanic person

????? what is your post even about
DanielJr82
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:28 PM)
DanielJr82's Avatar
Chota gringo hijo de puta. Bad form!
PeakPointMatrix
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:30 PM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar
I feel safer already!
TyrantII
Member
(07-17-2017, 10:31 PM)
TyrantII's Avatar
Cops were invented to protect the bourgeois and capitalists from the rabble they needed to run industry. They were used to bust unions and bust heads.

History is repeating itself, yet again.
undrtakr900
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:23 PM)
undrtakr900's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enzom21

No, this is a revenue stream. The city of Ferguson is a perfect example of how law enforcement uses petty shit like this to fleece residents.

Exactly! Police departments get funding based on the sheer number of arrest, the officers even have "arrest quotas" to meet or face discipline. Our entire criminal "justice" system is corrupt, that only serves to benefit the wealthy elite.
ramuh
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:24 PM)
ramuh's Avatar
Is this an arrest able offense? Seems to be just a ticket kinda of situation.
Nepenthe
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:30 PM)
Nepenthe's Avatar

Originally Posted by ramuh

Is this an arrest able offense? Seems to be just a ticket kinda of situation.

Minorities engaging in commerce sure is an offense worthy of arrest. Can't have them getting any ideas about where they belong.
Infinite
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:40 PM)
Infinite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enzom21

No, this is a revenue stream. The city of Ferguson is a perfect example of how law enforcement uses petty shit like this to fleece residents.

Yup. It's literally just an hidden tax on black and brown bodies.

There was a big study concerning the NYPD's broken windows policing efforts and it was uncovered that it has no real impact in driving down felonies and it overwhelming targets Black and Latino residents.
Khalifa Jayy
Banned
(07-17-2017, 11:40 PM)
Khalifa Jayy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nepenthe

Minorities engaging in commerce sure is an offense worthy of arrest. Can't have them getting any ideas about where they belong.

When they said "American dream," they meant white-Americans only.
norm9
(07-17-2017, 11:42 PM)
I wouldn't expect police to do police work; writing traffic tickets and hassling the homeless and less fortunate is more up their wheelhouse.
Shadybiz
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:43 PM)
Shadybiz's Avatar
Disgusting. A citation would have sufficed.

Originally Posted by commedieu

Well. I knew it was a minority from the title alone. Clicked to find out which variant.

Yeah...I lost minority bingo. Was just about certain that she wasn't going to be white, though.
SlickShoesRUCrazy
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:43 PM)
SlickShoesRUCrazy's Avatar
This shit is so depressing.

What a lot of people don't realize in regards to these persons is that a lot of them are basically indentured servants....

They get threatened by the people they are working for with deportation if they don't fall in line.

One of my buddy's, his dad put one of the employers in a hospital when he first came(supposedly).

They make pennies on the dollar. usually live in homes with many other people in the same situation.
sangreal
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:45 PM)
sangreal's Avatar
Then they're gonna call her a welfare queen when she can't get a permit or a job because of her arrest record
bigmit3737
Member
(07-17-2017, 11:45 PM)
bigmit3737's Avatar

Originally Posted by GK86

I couldn't find a YT link, so instagram video will have to do for now.

In case you are wondering what she says, "Why me? Why don't you arrest the gangsters? Why bother someone trying to make a living?" Something like that. I can't hear it clearly.

This makes me sad. The poor woman was so scared that she pissed herself. Just fucking give her a ticket/warning and tell her to be on her way. This reminds me of the Washington DC story about the teens selling water and being placed in handcuffs. But I'm glad the cops are keeping the streets safe from water and flower vendors.

I wonder id someone calls these in or they act on their own accord .
Infinite
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:20 AM)
Infinite's Avatar

Originally Posted by bigmit3737

I wonder id someone calls these in or they act on their own accord .

It's probably both but I noticed in recently gentrified neighborhoods (like mine) things like this happen a lot more often. Like cops were willing to let is slide perhaps just writing a summons at worst but in a recently gentrified or gentrifying neighborhood these vendors just straight up just disappear sometimes. It's just something noticed from my own observations.
thesaucetastic
Member
(07-18-2017, 12:43 AM)
This is disgusting.

Thread Tools