• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(07-17-2017, 09:31 PM)
100 million subscribers worldwide.

Netflix reported second-quarter earnings on Monday that fell just shy of analyst estimates, and revenue that exceeded expectations as user growth exploded.

The entertainment technology company added 5.2 million total memberships, blowing away Wall Street's estimates of 3.23 million during a historically weak quarter amid the return of marquee content like "Orange is the New Black." International viewers now account for more than half of Netflix's membership base.

Results vs. expectations

EPS: 15 cents per share vs. 16 cents per share, adjusted, expected by a Thomson Reuters consensus estimate

Revenue: $2.79 billion vs. $2.76 billion expected by a Thomson Reuters consensus estimate

User growth (net adds): 5.2 million (1.07 million domestic, 4.14 million international) vs. 3.23 million total streaming (631,000 domestic, 2.59 million international) expected by a FactSet estimate.

Last quarter, Netflix said it would spend over $1 billion in 2017 on marketing costs alone, projecting that the company would have negative free cash flow for "many years" as it invests in original content, including an estimated $2 billion in negative free cash flow this year.

Netflix has shuffled some top executives in recent months, adding chief product officer Greg Peters and feature film boss Scott Stuber. Netflix announced an ambitious plan for its feature film business on Monday, including the release of 40 features "that range from big budget popcorn films to grassroots independent cinema."

Last edited by GK86; 07-17-2017 at 09:48 PM.
3N16MA
(07-17-2017, 09:32 PM)
Poor Blockbuster.
Crimson_Gold
(07-17-2017, 09:33 PM)
This is crazy. I thought the Iron Fist would've purged all of these people, but alas, The Defenders were too strong
mjc
(07-17-2017, 09:33 PM)
They dropped $1bil on marketing ALONE?
henhowc
(07-17-2017, 09:34 PM)
netflix keeps killing. keep the content coming. loving it.
Saucycarpdog
(07-17-2017, 09:35 PM)

Netflix has shuffled some top executives in recent months, adding chief product officer Greg Peters and feature film boss Scott Stuber. Netflix announced an ambitious plan for its feature film business on Monday, including the release of 40 features "that range from big budget popcorn films to grassroots independent cinema."

Boo. I'd rather spend that money on more expensive, ambitious series. Something like Game of Thrones or Westworld.
NYCmetsfan
(07-17-2017, 09:35 PM)

International viewers now account for more than half of Netflix's membership base

hopefully we see more foreign language productions.
NipplesAndToes23
Corona Drug Bust
(07-17-2017, 09:36 PM)
I wonder if Jessica James is going to be good.

Also that's a lot of money. Is Netflix hiring?
GK86
Homeland Security Fail

Originally Posted by Saucycarpdog

Boo. I'd rather spend that money on more expensive series. Like Game of Thrones or Westworld.

They have spent big money on series:

Marco Polo
Sense8
The Get Down

All canceled.
Crimson_Echidna
They about to steal all of Crunchyroll's anime. :P
henhowc

Boo. I'd rather spend that money on more expensive series. Something like Game of Thrones or Westworld.

they sort of tried with marco polo
valkillmore
Really appreciate the new comedy specials Netflix is commissioning. And the documentary series. Basically all I watch on Netflix.
Apzu
(07-17-2017, 09:37 PM)

Originally Posted by NYCmetsfan

And hopefully they'll get more things licensed for other countries.
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(07-17-2017, 09:37 PM)

Boo. I'd rather spend that money on more expensive, ambitious series. Something like Game of Thrones or Westworld.

They already have or have had really expensive shows. Those series didn't last in many cases.
Rhaknar
The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
(07-17-2017, 09:38 PM)
but Gaf told me Netflix was a sinking ship
Busty
when Jesus ain't watching Kinect will watch over you
Say what you will about the HBO versus Netflix debate but at least HBO is making huge profits while Netflix builds towards..., something.
tomtom94

Originally Posted by GK86

They have spent big money on series:

Marco Polo
Sense8
The Get Down

All canceled.

Don't remind me. :'(
The Abominable Snowman
Pure Life tonsil tickle
(07-17-2017, 09:39 PM)
Everyone laughed at them for stating they will focus on original content. Good stuff, Netflix. For the 3 or 4 shows I care about, I'll stay subbed.
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(07-17-2017, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by NYCmetsfan

They have produced quite a number of foreign language productions already. But I don't think they have had success in the same vain as OitNB or HoC.
Guerrillas in the Mist
(07-17-2017, 09:40 PM)
Is The Crown their only remaining "mega-budget" series? Although Netflix's stuff tends to have really impressive production values, barring a few things they've bought the rights to.
Last edited by Guerrillas in the Mist; 07-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Socivol
(07-17-2017, 09:41 PM)
Netflix has completely disrupted the way I watch regular TV. I'm so annoyed I have to wait each week for shows now.
GK86
Homeland Security Fail
(07-17-2017, 09:42 PM)
Wow, Netflix passed the 100 million mark. 103.95 million subscribers worldwide.
tomtom94
(07-17-2017, 09:43 PM)
Honestly, as a Netflix stan, I think they should drop this idea that they'll manage to kill cinemas, and stick mainly to low-budget fare with up-and-coming talent (like they did with Beasts of No Nation).

But, apparently others disagree with me, and it seems to be working, and as long as they keep providing me with great stuff to watch I'm happy.
henhowc
These threads always make me think about how i could have bought stocks when netflix first started gaining steam on xbox. Could have been a lot of rich gamers lol

Then again post qwikster when the stock bottomed out
sarcastor

Originally Posted by 3N16MA

Poor Blockbuster.

I'm not a business expert, but if Blockbuster bought them back in the day, they would totally fucked it up and Netflix would not be making anything close to $2.76 billion.

They would have probably stuck with dvd rentals and streaming and not do any original shows. and then lose out to some other company. who knows.
SirMossyBloke

Originally Posted by Rhaknar

When? Haven't personally seen that on here.
theWB27
Maybe they can afford to hire a trainer for luke cage.
SRG01
(07-17-2017, 09:44 PM)

I mean, aside from that weird quarter where they guided lower subs, Netflix is rightfully a juggernaut.
henhowc

Originally Posted by Guerrillas in the Mist

Is The Crown their only remaining "mega-budget" series? Although Netflix's stuff tends to have really impressive production values, barring a few things they've bought the rights to.

is this show any good?
Roland_Gunner

Who said that? Netflix is spending a ton right now but as their catalogue builds up they can start shedding outside contracts and will save in the long run.
Strangelove77
(07-17-2017, 09:45 PM)
Is there like a website or something that tells you what streaming service has what shows?
It's so messy right now with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.
smokeandmirrors

the initial split from the dvd service and the gamble on original content seemed pretty risky at the time.

but that was years and years ago at this point. so.
PandaPandaPanda

Originally Posted by henhowc

These threads always make me think about how i could have bought stocks when netflix first started gaining steam on xbox. Could have been a lot of rich gamers lol

Then again post qwikster when the stock bottomed out

I don't think anyone expected netflix to be where it is today(at these levels)

I had the chance to buy facebook stock when it was around $30 but I didn't think it'd go up all that much more

oh well
Deepwater
(07-17-2017, 09:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Strangelove77

Is there like a website or something that tells you what streaming service has what shows?
It's so messy right now with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.

there is, just google things like "where is it streaming" and you can find several different results.

But then you have to deal with certain things being available in different regions. That's annoying to find that something is on Netflix UK and not Netflix US
HarryKS
(07-17-2017, 09:50 PM)

is this show any good?

Ye, ye, pretty good man.
AfterTheFall
(07-17-2017, 09:52 PM)
Netflix is officially on fire :O Good stuff though and I look forward to the content that comes.
LFMartins86
(07-17-2017, 09:55 PM)

Originally Posted by tomtom94

Honestly, as a Netflix stan, I think they should drop this idea that they'll manage to kill cinemas, and stick mainly to low-budget fare with up-and-coming talent (like they did with Beasts of No Nation).

But, apparently others disagree with me, and it seems to be working, and as long as they keep providing me with great stuff to watch I'm happy.

I don't think that they want to kill cinemas, they are pretty open to having their movies being shown in cinemas.
It's the cinema owners who don't want consumers to have the option of seeing it at home on the same day as it comes out on the cinemas.
oginath
(07-17-2017, 09:57 PM)
How much of it is profit though? They throw a lot of money around
Staf
(07-17-2017, 09:59 PM)
I've been a sub since the beginning. But i barely touch it anymore. There's just way too many series for me which i don't have time to watch. I wish there was a lot more focus on movies. Or am i alone in thinking this?
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(07-17-2017, 10:00 PM)

Originally Posted by oginath

They are growing. Hell they don't want to show profit yet.
Falchion
(07-17-2017, 10:00 PM)
There's a ton of more potential users to grow even more once true high speed infrastructure expands through more rural areas. My parents couldn't use Netflix if they wanted because they can only get 5 mbs service and you can never max out your speed so it's really more like 1.5 mbs during peak hours.
gdt
blow in her face and
she'll follow you anywhere
(07-17-2017, 10:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Staf

I've been a sub since the beginning. But i barely touch it anymore. There's just way too many series for me which i don't have time to watch. I wish there was a lot more focus on movies. Or am i alone in thinking this?

Not alone no. But they bet big on series and that has seemingly worked for them.
henhowc
(07-17-2017, 10:02 PM)
i wish you didn't have to pay extra for 4k/hdr but im a cheapstake :[

Originally Posted by oginath

Amazon is proof that its not that important if your business continues to grow.
SecretMoblin
(07-17-2017, 10:05 PM)
they're trying the amazon model of spending more than they have and relying on investor confidence to gobble up market share and mindshare

and it's working.
Guerrillas in the Mist
(07-17-2017, 10:11 PM)

is this show any good?

Definitely. I'm a big history buff (not to mention having a BA in it...) and am British (if not a die-hard royalist), so perhaps my impressions can be taken with a pinch of salt - but the performances are outstanding, it's beautifully shot, and it does an excellent job of portraying the Royal Family in a country where the political/social landscape is changing constantly.

Thankfully it's not a hagiography of the Royals and the political elite, which was my big fear - Churchill in particular is portrayed as a massively flawed, out-of-touch and out-of-time figure.
Ploid 3.0
(07-17-2017, 10:13 PM)
My gawd, who would have thought Netflix would be so big back when they were just dvds in mail.
Future
(07-17-2017, 10:16 PM)
Who doesn't have fucking netflix
RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(07-17-2017, 10:17 PM)
Any word on when BBC/Netflix will work on Season 3 of Last Kingdom? Is it even coming?
tomtom94
(07-17-2017, 10:17 PM)

Originally Posted by LFMartins86

I don't think that they want to kill cinemas, they are pretty open to having their movies being shown in cinemas.
It's the cinema owners who don't want consumers to have the option of seeing it at home on the same day as it comes out on the cinemas.

Let me rephrase, then: I think Netflix are making a mistake by throwing money at their movies and trying to directly compete with cinemas ("popcorn movies") instead of focusing on movies made on a lower budget which offer something different.

Admittedly I said this before I looked up the budget for Okja but the point still stands that that film has probably done a lot for Netflix's reputation whereas so many of the films come and go with no fanfare because they're basically just direct-to-DVD comedy films with a new banner.
More_Badass
My indie-sense is tingling
(07-17-2017, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by tomtom94

Let me rephrase, then: I think Netflix are making a mistake by throwing money at their movies and trying to directly compete with cinemas ("popcorn movies") instead of focusing on movies made on a lower budget which offer something different.

Admittedly I said this before I looked up the budget for Okja but the point still stands that that film has probably done a lot for Netflix's reputation whereas so many of the films come and go with no fanfare because they're basically just direct-to-DVD comedy films with a new banner.

Only three or four have been comedy films. Sandler's stuff, that Wayne one, and what else?