• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 01:20 AM)
As part of comprehensive measures being taken to keep ad quality standards at the highest possible level for NeoGAF and maintain a safe and fast browsing experience for everyone, I've deployed tech that will monitor all the ad tags, desktop and mobile, for non-compliant ad activity to proactively block bad ads, and we're also rolling out a user-reporting feature attached to each ad unit that, if you personally encounter a bad ad that breaches the first line of defense, you'll be able to easily report any bad ad you encounter to NeoGAF's ad team for investigation and takedown.

Note that these reporting links will, by default implementation, screw with the site formatting in minor ways and we'll determine the ideal way to adjust them; I've just deemed it more important to get the functionality live than for it to look extra pretty beforehand. Aesthetic concerns will be sorted out within the next few days. Addressed

Originally Posted by EviLore

The tech is not just about user reporting whatsoever. It maintains a large up-to-date blacklist of known malicious ads across all the ad networks and prevents those from being served, and actively monitors all of NeoGAF's ad placements for any malicious ad activity (or even things like unacceptable hits to browser performance) *every* time an ad is loaded on NeoGAF (which is the expensive part...). Just in case anything gets through despite that, then there's the user reporting function to let us know.

Ad quality should immediately improve as a result of the tech, whether anyone utilizes the reporting functionality or not. But, of course, this allows for a clear, simple, functional avenue for reporting bad ads instead of users perhaps not knowing what to do if they encounter one.

Last edited by EviLore; 06-10-2016 at 11:33 PM.
RadioJoNES64
(06-07-2016, 01:22 AM)
You got it sir
FantasticMrFoxdie
Mumber
(06-07-2016, 01:23 AM)
LET THE GREAT EXPERIMENT BEGIN!
Reverend Funk
Comfy Penetration
(06-07-2016, 01:35 AM)

Originally Posted by FantasticMrFoxdie

LET THE GREAT EXPERIMENT BEGIN!

Reported
Chuckl3s
(06-07-2016, 01:38 AM)
\m/
Eppy Thatcher
God's had his chance.
(06-07-2016, 01:39 AM)
Yous a boss and you CARE

SpaceLore for president 2028
Dali
(06-07-2016, 01:40 AM)
It's not really a "bad ad" issue but on mobile the bottom ads seem to annoyingly take the focus so instead of loading and displaying the top of a page, it'll load then quickly jump to the bottom of the page to show me the ad.
ItIsOkBro
(06-07-2016, 01:43 AM)
Hmmmmmmm

Okay cool
Last edited by ItIsOkBro; 06-07-2016 at 02:01 AM.
taco543
(06-07-2016, 01:43 AM)
Sweet, as said above some of the mobile ads are being weird so this will definitely help.
The Abominable Snowman
Pure Life tonsil tickle
(06-07-2016, 01:44 AM)
I got a sponsor deal for Degree® Brand Deodorant and all of my future posts will mention Degree® products. I'm open to further product deals, for any advertisers who may be reading and want to avoid an advertisement blacklist.

Keeps me dry, and I feel protected.

Brought to you by the World's #1 Antiperspirant, Degree® Visit Us At http://www.degreedeodorant.com/ .
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 01:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Dali

It's not really a "bad ad" issue but on mobile the bottom ads seem to annoyingly take the focus so instead of loading and displaying the top of a page, it'll load then quickly jump to the bottom of the page to show me the ad.

Yeah this is obviously a Bad Thing for user experience and doesn't seem to happen in all mobile browsing environments. Part of it probably has to do with how the ads load asynchronously so that the content is not prevented from loading even if the ads take a while longer to show up (i.e. less than instantly). Some mobile browsers might be handling this in wonky ways by going "OH LOOK! NEW STUFF!" and then shifting focus to the bottom ad when it finishes loading because of that.

Will continue to investigate how to address this prob. Sorry for the trouble there.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 01:49 AM)

Originally Posted by ItIsOkBro

Hmmmmmmm

Okay

I wonder why this wouldn't matter to you one way or another to the point that you'd make a post about how much it doesn't matter to you? I wonder.
bunbun777
(06-07-2016, 01:53 AM)
Are there any chances for an ad-free charge? <insert gold gaf joke here>
I would pay for no ads if it was reasonable.
Dali
(06-07-2016, 01:53 AM)

Yeah this is obviously a Bad Thing for user experience and doesn't seem to happen in all mobile browsing environments. Part of it probably has to do with how the ads load asynchronously so that the content is not prevented from loading even if the ads take a while longer to show up (i.e. less than instantly). Some mobile browsers might be handling this in wonky ways by going "OH LOOK! NEW STUFF!" and then shifting focus to the bottom ad when it finishes loading because of that.

Will continue to investigate how to address this prob. Sorry for the trouble there.

It's not trouble like an ad taking control and doing all kinds of evasive stuff. Just a minor annoyance.
ItIsOkBro
(06-07-2016, 02:00 AM)

I wonder why this wouldn't matter to you one way or another to the point that you'd make a post about how much it doesn't matter to you? I wonder.

What no it matters to me.
dpunk3
(06-07-2016, 02:11 AM)
People on NeoGAF don't use adblock?

That was a joke. Plz don't ban me mods. I've actually never ran into a "bad" ad before, I didn't think this was a required thing.
Seraph_Nicholas
(06-07-2016, 02:26 AM)
Thank you for your prompt attention!
Rebel Leader
THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
(06-07-2016, 02:27 AM)

Originally Posted by bunbun777

Are there any chances for an ad-free charge? <insert gold gaf joke here>
I would pay for no ads if it was reasonable.

What on earth makes you think it's a joke?

It's real!
Heavy_D206
(06-07-2016, 02:38 AM)
As a mobile user I appreciate the staff doing anything to make the ads a more pleasant experience.

Most sites would just throw up their middle fingers and keep cashing the checks.

GAF is awesome!
Zackat
(06-07-2016, 02:45 AM)
Thanks for this!
Retsudo
(06-07-2016, 02:54 AM)
Thanks for looking out for us.
The ads havent bothered me when on a desktop/laptop, and i havent gotten a bad ad yet, but on mobile things dont always go smoothly.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 02:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Dali

It's not trouble like an ad taking control and doing all kinds of evasive stuff. Just a minor annoyance.

What mobile browser is this on and on what OS, btw? I'll collect more data soon to focus on solving this, but in the mean time I'll bring it up with my ad team to see if there happens to be an easy fix. More info as to the specifics of the browsing environment so we can reproduce it etc. will help.
Kerned
(06-07-2016, 03:07 AM)
This is a good idea. I do hope, however, that at some point you decide to allow users to pay for an ad-free experience. I remember it being something you mentioned as a possibility.
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(06-07-2016, 03:11 AM)
Nice!
MultiJhonny
(06-07-2016, 03:16 AM)
Nice! Great idea. I have never had problems with the desktop ads but sometimes the mobile ones can get a little crazy
Aurongel
(06-07-2016, 03:17 AM)
Definitely been getting bottom page ads pulling focus on page loads. Happens in forum selection page and individual threads.

iOS 7, iPhone 6, Safari.
Drkirby
Corporate Apologist
(06-07-2016, 03:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Aurongel

Definitely been getting bottom page ads pulling focus on page loads. Happens in forum selection page and individual threads.

iOS 7, iPhone 6, Safari.

Was that an ad? I thought my browser was fucking up.

If it helps, it was Chrome on an Android 5 phone. Only started today, and isn't happening right now.
Last edited by Drkirby; 06-07-2016 at 03:28 AM.
BreezyLimbo
(06-07-2016, 03:29 AM)
Yay!

I can finally give feedback those intrusive ads that plague my mobile experience(The ones that force your screen down)

(Edit-they seem to be gone already @_@, getting top 5 best tablet pc ads)
Nephtis
(06-07-2016, 03:41 AM)
Thankfully I've never had a major issue with ads. This will be great, and hopefully will limit people making a thread "hey GAF this ad is intrusive. What do?"
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 03:43 AM)

Originally Posted by BreezyLimbo

Yay!

I can finally give feedback those intrusive ads that plague my mobile experience(The ones that force your screen down)

(Edit-they seem to be gone already @_@, getting top 5 best tablet pc ads)

The tech is not just about user reporting whatsoever. It maintains a large up-to-date blacklist of known malicious ads across all the ad networks and prevents those from being served, and actively monitors all of NeoGAF's ad placements for any malicious ad activity (or even things like unacceptable hits to browser performance) *every* time an ad is loaded on NeoGAF (which is the expensive part...). Just in case anything gets through despite that, then there's the user reporting function to let us know.

Ad quality should immediately improve as a result of the tech, whether anyone utilizes the reporting functionality or not. But, of course, this allows for a clear, simple, functional avenue for reporting bad ads instead of users perhaps not knowing what to do if they encounter one.
Dali
(06-07-2016, 03:46 AM)

What mobile browser is this on and on what OS, btw? I'll collect more data soon to focus on solving this, but in the mean time I'll bring it up with my ad team to see if there happens to be an easy fix. More info as to the specifics of the browsing environment so we can reproduce it etc. will help.

Chrome on Android 6.0
UFO
Banned
(06-07-2016, 03:48 AM)
I don't see a "report this ad" on any of the ads on mobile.
Megadrive
(06-07-2016, 04:10 AM)
Well this happened the other day on mobile: https://imgur.com/R4Zw4zQ
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 04:16 AM)

Originally Posted by UFO

I don't see a "report this ad" on any of the ads on mobile.

The report links are not live on mobile yet.
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 04:26 AM)
Speaking of, bringing the reporting links live to mobile now. By default the report links won't have any special css visual attributes so may look really ugly or take up too much space or whatever, but we'll adjust immediately as appropriate.
malfcn
(06-07-2016, 04:39 AM)

I've had it happen on a few ads that have a "text field" - android here, maybe the system wants to automatically go to an active field. But that could also be known and a soft exploit for ads to steal focus.
malfcn
(06-07-2016, 04:41 AM)
I'm sure you're tweaking and it will be fixed fast.

But the center tag on the "report ad" link is centering the whole mobile page now.
Relix
he's Virgin Tight™
(06-07-2016, 04:41 AM)
So everything looks as if we have a center tag :p
rouken
(06-07-2016, 04:42 AM)
why am i centered
greepoman
(06-07-2016, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Relix

And here I thought I was having a brain aneurysm that was affecting my vision/perception.
CreeperBlocks

Originally Posted by Relix

Yeah I'm getting that too haha. GAF Moblie looks werid centered
Darksol
I'd take the ads over the centered posts and threads.

Edit: Fixed?
Fusebox
Banned
(06-07-2016, 04:45 AM)
Now my centering is fixed and I don't see any mobile ads, this is good!
Megadrive
(06-07-2016, 04:49 AM)
It all looks real nice now
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 04:55 AM)
Okay, bugs fixed and I think we're good on mobile.
Brakke
(06-07-2016, 05:00 AM)
So the ads themselves have a little X on them and also there's the "report this ad" link. You prefer we use this "report" link over the X?
EviLore
Expansive Ellipses
(06-07-2016, 05:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Brakke

So the ads themselves have a little X on them and also there's the "report this ad" link. You prefer we use this "report" link over the X?

If you mean the AdChoices icon, that's not always going to be there on every ad (just google's) and, well, I can't speak to its efficacy one way or another. NeoGAF's reporting tool will work with our solutions and ad team directly.
PtM
Banned
(06-07-2016, 05:19 AM)
I often get no ads. Also white blanks at times, have to reload to get rid of them. Once or twice there was an ad on a blank page. After sending this post I had an especially persistent blank, had to reload multiple times.

Mobile Safari it is.
Last edited by PtM; 06-07-2016 at 06:02 AM. Reason: fixed
CreeperBlocks
(06-07-2016, 05:21 AM)
There's this werid thing happening on mobile with the Google chrome app. Every time I go to a new page on GAF the page goes white and I have to keep refreshing to continue. I don't know if this is because of this test or something else entirely. On IOS btw. Only does it for me on Chrome on IOS and not Safari.
Strangelove77
(06-07-2016, 05:22 AM)

Originally Posted by PtM

I often get no ads. Also white blanks at times, reloading takes care of those.

Same. I'm using Safari on iPhone.