• @NeoGAF

Spider from Mars
tap that thorax
(05-17-2017, 10:46 PM)
No Fuller, no watch.

Will watch depending on reactions
Trouble
Why am I letting this trailer get my hopes up?
Succinct Verbosity
Possibility that is the Shinzou and that it gets majorly damaged or destroyed in the first episode, leading to anew ship (discovery)
Cisce

Originally Posted by El Topo

Sorry for my mistake. Here.

Twin Peaks and now Star Trek Discovery?

I guess I'm subscribing to Crave.
syko de4d
looks really good, i am suprised.
JeffZero
Purple Drazi
(05-17-2017, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Trouble

Why am I letting this trailer get my hopes up?

Probably because there's been no footage, no nothin', all this time 'til today so the net's intensely negative reaction has been fairly overblown!
Yamauchi
Please disregard me if I'm cheerleading for Putin again.
Looks decent. I'd still like to see them take Star Trek forward in time, past DS9 and Voyager. But this looks okay.
Rhomega Beta

She's beautiful.
Gowans
I'm going to start all my rewatches ready for this, thank you Netflix
whyamihere
(05-17-2017, 10:48 PM)
Grabbed this from the CBS website.

Fireblend
No Member
This looks pretty alright, as someone who's never watched any Star Trek other than the new movies.
JeffZero
Purple Drazi

Originally Posted by Yamauchi

Looks decent. I'd still like to see them take Star Trek forward in time, past DS9 and Voyager. But this looks okay.

Here's my take on this. And, as you can probably tell by my avatar, I would love that. But Trek needs a hit. It needs something that works, something that sticks. While I concur with the folks here who are saying the trailer dialogue's a bit stilted, otherwise this looks decent. Maybe even great. If it's successful enough, if it's actually watchable, if things go as planned and CBS gets a nice confidence boost, a post-VOY show is possible. Anything is possible.

If not, it's back to the drawing board. So there are many reasons I hope this pans out.
NotSelf
(05-17-2017, 10:49 PM)
Why would they go back even further? no cool special quest from any of the previous series no cool new aliens and technology.

smh
-griffy-
(05-17-2017, 10:49 PM)
So she's part Vulcan, right?
whyamihere
(05-17-2017, 10:50 PM)
YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
sammex
(05-17-2017, 10:50 PM)
Well the trailer has me convinced this won't be terrible. Hope it's well received cos it looks pretty sharp in terms of visuals.
Fuchsdh
(05-17-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by NotSelf

Why would they go back even further? no cool special quest from any of the previous series no cool new aliens and technology.

smh

Not to mention they're creating a visual style that doesn't even try to match anything from the original series, with no "it's an alternate timeline" handwaving. It frankly looks a lot more like generic 2010s sci-fi than anything recognizably Trek to me.
Principate
Saint Titanfall

Originally Posted by -griffy-

So she's part Vulcan, right?

Well yeah they were pretty explicit.
Father_Brain
Samus made me a Widower :(
Official YouTube link; may be region-locked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
kaching
"GAF's biggest wanker"
(05-17-2017, 10:52 PM)
Can't fault the production values so far. But can't make out as much about the quality of the scripting from this. Cautiously optimistic.
Effect
Looks really good. My biggest concern was how this was going to look. If CBS was going to give this thing a real budget and it looks like they did. I was already in but I'm in even more so now thanks to this trailer.

Originally Posted by JeffZero

I dunno. There's a ton of fan speculation that Michelle Yeoh's character dies early on, stuff goes south in the two-hour premiere, etc. If any of that occurs, it kinda works for the trailer.

That's the impression I got as well from this.

Originally Posted by Rhomega Beta

She's beautiful.

Damn right!
aHebrewMenagerie
Definitely looks like a Star Trek show made in the same day where Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead exists
-griffy-
(05-17-2017, 10:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Principate

Well yeah they were pretty explicit.

The video quality made it hard to be certain first time I watched it, YouTube version makes it more clear.
BrutishMrFish
(05-17-2017, 10:54 PM)
That actually looks pretty good.

Not sure if it's good enough for me to pay for a monthly subscription, though.
Yamauchi
Please disregard me if I'm cheerleading for Putin again.

Originally Posted by JeffZero

Here's my take on this. And, as you can probably tell by my avatar, I would love that. But Trek needs a hit. It needs something that works, something that sticks. While I concur with the folks here who are saying the trailer dialogue's a bit stilted, otherwise this looks decent. Maybe even great. If it's successful enough, if it's actually watchable, if things go as planned and CBS gets a nice confidence boost, a post-VOY show is possible. Anything is possible.

If not, it's back to the drawing board. So there are many reasons I hope this pans out.

Yes, I hope this is successful so Star Trek TV can be revived. Parts of the trailer had me excited for sure.
WadiumArcadium
Not a great trailer but I'm still interested.
LegalEagleMike
Nothing about that excited me, I'll still give it a chance tho.
BattleMonkey
(05-17-2017, 10:56 PM)

Originally Posted by NotSelf

smh

Those storylines came to an end, and Voyager fucked everything up with it's super tech.
MisterHero
(05-17-2017, 10:57 PM)
what did they do to the klingons

aaaaaagggghhhhhhh
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious

Originally Posted by Rhomega Beta

She's beautiful.

She's beautiful in The Walking Dead. And baby, if you can be beautiful in that show, you must be a hard 10.

She is.
jack_package_200
Banned
Wait, will this series be streaming service only or will it air normally on CBS?
JeffZero
Purple Drazi
(05-17-2017, 10:59 PM)

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

Wait, will this series be streaming service only or will it air normally on CBS?

It'll air its pilot (presumably a two-hour premiere) on CBS before shifting to CBS All Access in the United States, Netflix internationally. (I think it's on Space in Canada.)
Won
(05-17-2017, 11:00 PM)
Looks pretty. Didn't expect that at all. Way more effort than Star Trek probably deserves at this point.

But everytime someone opened their mouths....uugh. I hope that's just the trailer editing.
whyamihere
(05-17-2017, 11:01 PM)
Official Key Art:

jerry113
(05-17-2017, 11:01 PM)
I'm digging the cast.
Jarmel
place a shoe on my head
to reduce lag compensation
(05-17-2017, 11:02 PM)
So is the black female lead half Vulkan?

Edit: Well nevermind, that key visual confirms it. lol
DBT85
(05-17-2017, 11:03 PM)
Really liking what I saw in that trailer, not a toilet seat gag in sight!

Though I'm initially weirded out by the new look Klingons.
BattleMonkey
Think it looks nice enough, and could probably be a big success..... if they hadn't locked it to that stupid APP. This could have been a revival of Trek on TV, but the whole app thing I fear is just gonna hurt it's potential.
Patryn
Looks interesting if you separate it from where it's supposed to sit in the timeline.

Because otherwise, hoo boy.
Cartman86

Originally Posted by Jarmel

So is the black female lead half Vulkan?

I'm thinking fully human, but something like adoption? Maybe i'm blind but ears looked human.
Bob Coffee
(05-17-2017, 11:04 PM)
presumably the enterprise is around in this time, just under pike with spock as the XO. since the time from what i can gather is post enterprise pre-kirk TOS.
aHebrewMenagerie
Was that Vulcan character that kept appearing supposed to be Sarek?
MCN
Looks brilliant, really cannot wait.
Kimaka
(05-17-2017, 11:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Yamauchi

I'll take this, but I would have much rather have a post Voyager show. Update Star Trek tech so we can have some modern technology with the future tech.
Yen
(05-17-2017, 11:06 PM)
Never watched the shows with any regularity, so is there any canonical reason why they can set a show hundreds/thousands of years in the future, rather than a prequel series?
antonz
(05-17-2017, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Patryn

Looks interesting if you separate it from where it's supposed to sit in the timeline.

Because otherwise, hoo boy.

Timeline wise it probably offers the best opportunity for new things. The Federation is still relatively young and exploring new worlds and all of that. They have to avoid stepping on TOS toes but otherwise they can within the realm of continuity do lots of new things.

By the time of TNG etc. they are basically in cruise control. The Federation has setup its territory and its competitors have theirs and while new things happen they aren't all the time which is exactly why so many shows started jumping all over the galaxy etc to try and introduce new stuff.
s_mirage
I'm going to need to see more to get really excited; that trailer was a collection of single lines of dialogue. Effects look good, and the uniforms are different. Still don't like the ship design from what's been shown though: as someone who loves the Enterprise flyby scene in TMP, the new ship seems to lack a certain elegance and grandeur that some of the older ships had. IMO, of course.
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious

Originally Posted by Yen

is there any canonical reason why they can set a show hundreds/thousands of years in the future, rather than a prequel series?

No. Purely by choice.
DBT85
(05-17-2017, 11:08 PM)
Blue dude is going to get peoples trypophobia going.,
SlipperyFishes
(05-17-2017, 11:10 PM)

Originally Posted by s_mirage

I'm going to need to see more to get really excited; that trailer was a collection of single lines of dialogue. Effects look good, and the uniforms are different. Still don't like the ship design from what's been shown though: as someone who loves the Enterprise flyby scene in TMP, the new ship seems to lack a certain elegance and grandeur that some of the older ships had. IMO, of course.

The ship in this trailer is not the Discovery. It's the Shenzhou