• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Majine
(06-26-2017, 09:22 PM)

Hey you!

Yeah you, do you enjoy new, barely functioning features coupled with crummy battery life and lag in your interfaces?

Then come one, come all and live the Beta Lyfe!

Apple just started rolling out the public betas for its upcoming software updates for this year. That includes iOS 11, macOS High Sierra, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

I thought it might be a good idea to break this out of the WWDC thread to keep it focused.
MeatGrinder
(06-26-2017, 09:23 PM)
Is it sorta stable? I only have an iPhone 6 so...
Majine
(06-26-2017, 09:24 PM)

Originally Posted by MeatGrinder

Is it sorta stable? I only have an iPhone 6 so...

From iOS 11 Beta 2: Apps will crash.
Maniel
(06-26-2017, 09:26 PM)
Can someone tell me how dark mode is working on ios 11?
tbm24
(06-26-2017, 09:28 PM)
Looks like High Sierra Beta isn't out yet. Only beta I'm willing to try this go around, had a decent experience with the Sierra beta.
Sanjuro
Banned
(06-26-2017, 09:29 PM)
I'll never do an OS beta with Apple again based on my last experience.
NOLA_Gaffer
Banned
(06-26-2017, 09:31 PM)
Kinda tempted, but there isn't really enough in there fresh enough for me to fiddle with to compromise the stability of my phone. Hmm.
entremet
(06-26-2017, 09:32 PM)
Do not install betas on your daily driver phone lol. I learned the hard way.

Use an iPad or secondary phone if you're a baller like that.
Guess Who
(06-26-2017, 09:32 PM)
My advice: don't put it on your primary phone, but maybe put it on your iPad.
robotrock
(06-26-2017, 09:33 PM)
Definitely do not put this beta on your iPhone 7 Plus
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State

Originally Posted by entremet

Do not install betas on your daily driver phone lol. I learned the hard way.

Use an iPad or secondary phone if you're a baller like that.

I've had my daily driver in the public beta for a year now with no issues. Hmm.

Originally Posted by robotrock

Why is that? Isn't the public beta 1 much more polished than the dev betas?
The Last Wizard

Originally Posted by Guess Who

My advice: don't put it on your primary phone, but maybe put it on your iPad.

Remember this practically killed my 5s😂
jstripes
(06-26-2017, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Maniel

Can someone tell me how dark mode is working on ios 11?

There's no dark mode.
Zeyphersan
(06-26-2017, 09:35 PM)
Put it on my primary phone and iPad since dev beta 1

My life was hell. Luckily beta 2 (the public beta) is a lot better. Still not great, but not hell. Itís more like heck now.
SomedayTheFire
(06-26-2017, 09:36 PM)
Beta.apple.com gave me the ios 10 download. Only showing 10.3.3 beta :-(

Nvm got it
Last edited by SomedayTheFire; 06-26-2017 at 09:41 PM.
FaintDeftone
(06-26-2017, 09:43 PM)
No thanks. Learned my lesson the last time. Very tempted with High Sierra though since I'm curious how much faster the new file system is on my aging MacBook Air.
Maniel
(06-26-2017, 09:44 PM)

Originally Posted by jstripes

There's no dark mode.

I meant smart invert color mode.
Ninja Dom
(06-26-2017, 09:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Sanjuro

I'll never do an OS beta with Apple again based on my last experience.

Yup, I did the Summer 2015 Yosemite Public Beta and I had a couple of serious shit re-install the OS fuck-ups. So not for me.
LumpOfCole
Cereal Killer
(06-26-2017, 09:47 PM)
Apple Watch betas are the most "dangerous" betas because you have to physically send the Watch to Apple to downgrade the Watch back to the release version of watchOS. As tempting as the Siri Watchface might be, I recommend never to touch the watchOS betas unless you're one of those comically rich folk who switch between multiple Apple Watches.
GWX
(06-26-2017, 09:49 PM)
Will try hell with my iPad Air 2, backing it up on iTunes beforehand in case something goes wild. I really want to try those new multitasking features, can't help it!
Vuze
(06-26-2017, 09:55 PM)
Donít put it on your primary device is all I can contribute. My brothers 6S is wonky af (especially the constant black screen Iím the camera app would drive me crazy) and my iPad 2017 got stuck in a boot loop once and had to be factory reset.
That being said I was back on the beta train shortly after that because the new iPad features are so, so good lol. Definitely too buggy for a daily driver device though.
infiniteloop
(06-26-2017, 09:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Majine

Apple just started rolling out the public betas for its upcoming software updates for this year. That includes ] watchOS 4.

nope
The Broken Ska Record
(06-26-2017, 10:01 PM)
I made the mistake of putting the OS beta on my MBA, and it made it slow down to a crawl. For the most part though, I never had an issue with the iOS 10 betas on my primary iPhone.
Souzetsu
(06-26-2017, 10:15 PM)
I've done an iOS beta in the past. Things of course will be buggy, and sometimes the main features you want to try out won't work because it's not implemented yet (Apple Pay Cash) or won't work because other people you communicate with don't have the beta as well (Message effects in Messages in iOS 10). So as always, proceed with caution.
Guess Who
(06-26-2017, 10:42 PM)
Word of caution: on my iPad mini 4, putting the latest dev beta from today (which should be the same as the public beta) on my iPad caused it to no longer recognize official Apple wall chargers. It shows an unsupported accessory message. Not a hardware issue - it charges fine when connected to my MacBook Pro.
gamma
(06-26-2017, 10:44 PM)
Damn there is a tvOS 11 public beta too. I really want that AirPods iCloud feature. hmmmmm
Zeyphersan
(06-26-2017, 10:44 PM)

Originally Posted by gamma

Damn there is a tvOS 11 public beta too. I really want that AirPods iCloud feature. hmmmmm

Oh shit. This I s this the first time theyíve done a public beta for tvOS, yeah?
DarkWish
(06-26-2017, 10:47 PM)
I have beta 2 on my new iPad Pro (12.9 inch) and I assume thatís the same as the public beta. I havenít had any major issues with it, just some minor hiccups. I wouldnít try it on my iPhone though, too much of a risk. But for this secondary device, it works fine on my iPad.
gamma
(06-26-2017, 10:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Zeyphersan

Oh shit. This I s this the first time theyíve done a public beta for tvOS, yeah?

Yeah. Someone was saying you just need to enable beta updates in settings too but I don't see that option yet.
The Last Wizard
(06-26-2017, 11:02 PM)
Wifi seems slower on my iPad Pro. Iím not liking how much it takes to get airplay going on an Apple TV through the pad.
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(06-26-2017, 11:12 PM)
Initial impressions of iOS 11 on one of my iPhone 7's seem stable enough. Noted two bugs so far;

- Content Blockers in Safari don't work
- Landscape apps can glitch out your wallpaper upon exit and put it into landscape mode.
- Smart Inverted Colors don't work that great with current apps. It also gives the overall UI a strange blue tint (edit: actually this is Night mode being inverted.. hah).
Kysen
(06-26-2017, 11:13 PM)
Finally get to try it out on my ipad.
Bruce Springsteen
(06-26-2017, 11:14 PM)
My 10.5" Pro is ready
timshundo
(06-26-2017, 11:18 PM)
Installing on my 10.5 iPad Pro now
AfterTheFall
(06-26-2017, 11:20 PM)
I've done MacBook betas before and they haven't been bad at all but the frequent updates are a pain (but to be expected)

Don't think I would bother to do it again for this release.
cjp
(06-26-2017, 11:25 PM)
Sweet, wasn't expecting this today.

I'll be definitely installing on my iPad Air 2. I'll leave my 6S as is though. Most definitely not installing the beta for High Seirra either.
Like the hat?
(06-26-2017, 11:37 PM)
What's the worst that could happen with a beta? Just needing to do a factory restore? Or having to send it in to apple?
Zeyphersan
(06-26-2017, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Like the hat?

What's the worst that could happen with a beta? Just needing to do a factory restore? Or having to send it in to apple?

Only the Watch would have to be sent in. Everything else can be restored through iTunes
SomedayTheFire
(06-26-2017, 11:56 PM)
I like the new keyboard itís quite nice. I like the new control centre too, but theyíve made it a little more awkward to control my lights with it. I now need to long press the HomeKit button in it, then long press my lights to control them. Hopefully that gets smoothed out.
7he Talon
(06-27-2017, 12:01 AM)
I might wait for a few more stabilisation updates before I jump over to the beta. I normally try and avoid it this early on.
infiniteloop
(06-27-2017, 12:37 AM)

Originally Posted by Tunesmith

Initial impressions of iOS 11 on one of my iPhone 7's seem stable enough. Noted two bugs so far;

- Content Blockers in Safari don't work

Turn it off and on in the settings.
SnakeXs
about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
(06-27-2017, 12:48 AM)
Any IPSW links up yet?
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(06-27-2017, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by infiniteloop

No luck. What blocker do you use that works?
subrock
(06-27-2017, 12:53 AM)

Originally Posted by infiniteloop

No luck here either

Edit: switched to Refine which seems to be working
Last edited by subrock; 06-27-2017 at 01:08 AM.
jstripes
(06-27-2017, 12:55 AM)

Originally Posted by SnakeXs

Any IPSW links up yet?

All you need to do is install a beta profile from beta.apple.com, then it will download OTA.
The Real Abed
Perma-Junior
(06-27-2017, 12:58 AM)

Originally Posted by robotrock

I did. No huge problems here. What problems you having?

Looking forward to High Sierra also coming out. But I can wait for that. iOS 11 is worth it for the Control Center changes alone.
DOWN
(06-27-2017, 01:01 AM)
Ok people are not being entirely clear. I'd personally say the betas are fine once you are maybe on update 4 or later so just keep reading the progress and see how people says it's improving.
The Real Abed
Perma-Junior
(06-27-2017, 01:03 AM)
The App Switcher is probably the one majorly buggy thing. Apps don't always close at all. You can swipe it up, then exit out and the app is back, swipe it away again and it's still there. It needs work.
Martinski43
(06-27-2017, 01:08 AM)
Are you a beta male? Well then.
badcrumble
(06-27-2017, 01:13 AM)
There's not a ton of incentive for non-developers to install this beta on an iPhone (no huge marquee features that'll actually work yet, since so much relies on iOS 11-compatible apps being published or other users also using iOS 11), but there's all the incentive in the world to install this on an iPad.