• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

WaterAstro
(07-17-2017, 07:03 AM)
Remind me not to call 911 in America.
Nephtis
(07-17-2017, 07:07 AM)
honestly unless there's actual evidence that the camera had a legit malfunction, whenever a cop does something like this they should be arrested and put in protected custody, only to be released after a trial (and backpay if he/she is not guilty).

But I bet they'd even find ways around that. And there's also the fact that a trial would probably just end in the officer's acquittal anyway.
Fuchsdh
(07-17-2017, 07:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...apolis/8714330

Bloody hell guys. Body cameras not turned on, shooting the damn person calling for help, fuck me. Maybe now a white woman has been murdered some action will be taken. Shit sounds utterly fucked up.

More white people are getting killed every year than black people in America. It unfortunately hasn't moved the needle on police reform.
DiscoJer
(07-17-2017, 07:12 AM)
Unfortunately, people need to realize that any interaction with the police can result in someone being killed.

The only way to avoid getting killed by a cop is to avoid cops.
VariantX
(07-17-2017, 07:12 AM)

Originally Posted by DrSlek

Ha! Good joke. We all know that's not going to happen.

Of course, not when other people have a laundry list of excuses to justify it or ignore it because it couldn't possibly happen to them.
Mechanized
(07-17-2017, 07:14 AM)
People are really just better off fending for themselves in the US. Absolutely depressing stuff.
Dynamite Shikoku
Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Might as well have called the local mafia for help
Kin5290
Jesus. She was engaged to marry in a few months as well. My condolences to her family, that's horrible.

On first read I mixed up the noise that she heard in the alley with whatever spurred the police officer to shoot an innocent bystander. Apparently that isn't known yet.

If it were a case of an officer hearing a noise and firing blindly in response, then that should be an open and shut case of wrong doing. Rule number 1 of guns is only fire if you know what you're firing at and are sure you want to kill it. I say should, because you never know what American juries would allow a bad cop to get away with these days.
Opto
Don't worry, the justice system has guaranteed a jury will see this as a cop acting in self defense because of the possibility of a life threatening situation. That woman could have been literally made out of guns!
MarionCB
"America sucks, these cops need to be trained differently and I need to move out of here."

Just about sums it up. I'd never consider moving to America and US police are just one reason.

Of course all the cameras were "off". Is it an offence for them to have them off when on-duty? If not, it needs to be.
Shauni
(07-17-2017, 07:17 AM)

Originally Posted by Don Draper's Hat

Why are so many American police officers so eager to pull out their guns?

Surely they're trained to use firearms in extreme circumstances only?

No, the exact opposite actually. Police Officers in America have very little training and are often taught that they should treat anything and everything as the most extreme threat, and they have basically no de-escalation training.

And I'm not being cheeky, 100% serious.
Jombie
(07-17-2017, 07:17 AM)
The cop should be charged with murder, and I don't have a problem with the death penalty in this case. Fuck him.
rjinaz
(07-17-2017, 07:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Shauni

No, the exact opposite actually. Police Officers in America have very little training and are often taught that they should treat anything and everything as the most extreme threat, and they have basically no de-escalation training.

And I'm not being cheeky, 100% serious.

There's also no real fear of consequences or accountability. They'll just be thankful they lived another night and all their police buddies, their local station, the city, the police unions, and ultimately any judges and juries will back them up.
AusRoachman
(07-17-2017, 07:19 AM)
Just gets weirder and weirder

Minnesota newspaper The Star Tribune reports Ms Damond was dressed in her pyjamas when she went to the driverís side door of the police vehicle that responded to the emergency call.
She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

mercenar1e
(07-17-2017, 07:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Dead Man

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-1...apolis/8714330

Maybe now a white woman has been murdered some action will be taken. Shit sounds utterly fucked up.

The largest group of people killed by cops are White. another incident won't change how they operate.
PandaPandaPanda
(07-17-2017, 07:23 AM)

Originally Posted by DrSlek

Ha! Good joke. We all know that's not going to happen.

this

if a shooting at an elementary school didn't do anything, pretty much nothing will
MarionCB
(07-17-2017, 07:23 AM)
A woman in her PJs talking to your fellow officer, so you just pull out your gun, fire across him and murder her. Like, fucking why would you do that??
HotHamBoy
(07-17-2017, 07:24 AM)

Originally Posted by mercenar1e

The largest group of people killed by cops are White. another incident won't change how they operate.

Welp. That's just not true!

Young black men again faced highest rate of US police killings in 2016

The Counted project points to continuing racial disparities, with black males aged 15-34 nine times more likely than other Americans to be killed
sirap
(07-17-2017, 07:25 AM)
Good job America
MooseKnuckles
Banned

Originally Posted by AusRoachman

How the fuck is that even remotely possible?
Dynamite Shikoku
Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Originally Posted by MarionCB

A woman in her PJs talking to your fellow officer, so you just pull out your gun, fire across him and murder her. Like, fucking why would you do that??

She probably scratched her butt or something and mr jumpy mcnervous American cop thought she was going for a gun
mercenar1e
(07-17-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by HotHamBoy

The Counted project points to continuing racial disparities, with black males aged 15-34 nine times more likely than other Americans to be killed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2017/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ice-shootings/

You're going by the risk % instead of the actual numbers here.
HotHamBoy
(07-17-2017, 07:26 AM)

Originally Posted by MooseKnuckles

How the fuck is that even remotely possible?

They went there to murder someone.
Sojgat
(07-17-2017, 07:27 AM)

WTF?

Like seriously What. The. Fuck?
David___
(07-17-2017, 07:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Bossun

People can't be in danger anymore if they're dead

ftfy
Spectone
(07-17-2017, 07:28 AM)
DFAT should issue a travel advisory "Keep away from US cops"
Gen X
Trust no one. Eat steaks.

Take away paid leave for shooting would be a start. Then cops would think twice.
jellies_two
There I was thinking two nervous cops picking there way down a dark alley with guns drawn and shooting at a shadow without asking any questions.
:(
HotHamBoy
(07-17-2017, 07:29 AM)

Originally Posted by jellies_two

There I was thinking two nervous cops picking there way down a dark alley with guns drawn and shooting at a shadow without asking any questions.
:(

Nope. Just a plain ol' homicide.
danthefan
(07-17-2017, 07:29 AM)

What in the name of god.
Kin5290
(07-17-2017, 07:30 AM)

Eh, it's apples and oranges. Many more whites are killed by police, but whites also make up over 65% of the population with a correspondingly higher number of interactions with police. Blacks are more likely to be killed by police given their smaller overall population, but fewer blacks are killed in terms of numbers than whites by police.
Ratrat
(07-17-2017, 07:31 AM)

Murder nets them paid vacation.
HotHamBoy
(07-17-2017, 07:32 AM)

Originally Posted by mercenar1e

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2017/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...hootings-2016/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ice-shootings/

You're going by the risk % instead of the actual numbers here.

Arenít more white people than black people killed by police? Yes, but no.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ce-yes-but-no/
Violence Jack

Jesus Christ.

That's cold-blooded murder.
Demoskinos
This is so utterly disgusting. They took a life of a woman and shattered all the lives of the people who loved her and these fucking officers are at home with their feet propped up counting their paychecks they got.
Mohonky

No white people made up the majority of those shot.
Zabka
(07-17-2017, 07:33 AM)

What the fuck
Angelus Errare
Banned
(07-17-2017, 07:33 AM)
I read this and expected her to be a black Australian.
MThanded
I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
(07-17-2017, 07:35 AM)

That's murder.
Brawly Likes to Brawl
(07-17-2017, 07:36 AM)
that story update is terrifying

Originally Posted by Angelus Errare

I read this and expected her to be a black Australian.

me too
jellies_two
(07-17-2017, 07:37 AM)
I guess visitors from overseas need the same "how to deal with police so you don't trigger them" lessons that American kids are getting. Nobody calling the Australian police and talking to them through a car window would ever imagine that could be a risk.
Kin5290
(07-17-2017, 07:37 AM)

Arenít more white people than black people killed by police? Yes, but no.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ce-yes-but-no/

Again, you are ignoring others' correct statements to push your own statistics. Which are not incorrect: African Americans are killed at a disproportionately high rate relative to the overall proportion of Americans who are black. But answering a question that is completely different from the one that the person you quoted was answering.

1) What the fuck?
2) Brushing over the question of whether the victim was hiding a Beretta in her pajamas, that's an insanely fucking unsafe to do: shooting a gun past your partner's body. You expect that kind of dumbfuck policing in hicksville, not in a city police force.
3) This has all the markings of a diplomatic incident. The Australian government has every reason to ask what the fuck happened.
4) What the fuck?
Yaphett Kotto
(07-17-2017, 07:41 AM)

Originally Posted by Big Baybee

Body cameras not on? Should be fired immediately first of all. This all sounds shady as hell. Let's see if this woman gets justice and these officers face charges.

If they do go for charges, it won't be anything serious.
AusRoachman
(07-17-2017, 07:42 AM)

Originally Posted by MThanded

That's murder.

Yup sure is. Article here BTW

http://www.startribune.com/woman-kil...s/434782213/#1

Three sources with knowledge of the incident said Sunday that two officers in one squad car, responding to the 911 call, pulled into the alley. Damond, in her pajamas, went to the driverís side door and was talking to the driver. The officer in the passenger seat pulled his gun and shot Damond through the driverís side door, sources said. No weapon was found at the scene.

Saya
(07-17-2017, 07:42 AM)

Minnesota newspaper The Star Tribune reports Ms Damond was dressed in her pyjamas when she went to the driverís side door of the police vehicle that responded to the emergency call.
She was talking to the driver when the officer in the passenger seat pulled out his gun and shot across his fellow officer.

Wait, what the fuck?
Nephtis
(07-17-2017, 07:44 AM)

Hey, y'know, when you fear for your life you fear for your life. The police dept will do a thorough investigation and find they did nothing wrong.
Maximilian E.
AKA MS-Evangelist
(07-17-2017, 07:46 AM)

"America sucks, these cops need to be trained differently and I need to move out of here."

Needs more quotations, The US does suck.
JustSomeone
(07-17-2017, 07:47 AM)
Do they just accept anyone to be a cop in the US?
kirblar
(07-17-2017, 07:49 AM)

That they have that level of detail confirmed makes me think that the driver is cooperating and that we're virtually guaranteed a prosecution.
The Kree
Banned
(07-17-2017, 07:50 AM)

Originally Posted by JustSomeone

Do they just accept anyone to be a cop in the US?

It's a low skill job, if these stories are anything to judge by. I think you just need a picture ID and at least 8 fingers to get in.