• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

ProtomanNeo
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:48 PM)
ProtomanNeo's Avatar
Already in my contenders list for film of the year.
tearsintherain
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:50 PM)
tearsintherain's Avatar
Is it jaw dropping for me from a visual perspective, its exactly what I imagine a ghost in the shell / blade runner world looks like if I close my eyes.

Not sure whats going on story wise though, a bit confusing but that may not be a bad thing from a trailer perspective. Hopefully the story can match the visuals and acting, either way I think I'll be there day one.
Doctor Decimate
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:50 PM)
Doctor Decimate's Avatar

Originally Posted by moggio

Did all the good cinematographers die?

I think they probably did.

Also I didn't know Jared Leto was in this.

I can't wait to see him trying hard to do acting.

what do you all think the over/under is on this guy actually being able to name some good cinematographers if we asked him
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(07-17-2017, 04:53 PM)
Ushojax's Avatar

Originally Posted by Crankshaft

I don't know how to feel when watching that trailer.

I love the Blade Runner world. Read the book, played the game, watched the original and directors cut of the movie.

I feel like the new movie looks great and has some of the original atmosphere magic but is coming off as generic action movie shooter-aspode 9000. Would it kill hollywood to make a slower, more thoughtful action film? Maybe I'm wrong.

A slower, more thoughtful trailer, you mean? This 2 minutes was not the 2 hour movie.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(07-17-2017, 04:56 PM)
wenis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Doctor Decimate

what do you all think the over/under is on this guy actually being able to name some good cinematographers if we asked him

how quick can a normal human complete a google search?
SuperStiltzkin
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:56 PM)
SuperStiltzkin's Avatar
The man did Sicario and Arrival and y'all think this is gonna be some kind of fast paced action movie.
UrbanRats
Member
(07-17-2017, 04:58 PM)
UrbanRats's Avatar
Looks good.

For some reason i was convinced that Elena Anaya was gonna be in this, but i must've mistaken/mixed up Ana De Armas' name for hers.
I don't know who she is, so it's a bit disappointing, but oh well.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(07-17-2017, 05:00 PM)
border's Avatar
It's kinda funny to think that after many years of re-releases, the studio has probably just managed to break even on the original Blade Runner. And now they're going to eat a massive loss on this one, restoring the franchise's status as a failure.

Looks absolutely great, though! I hope an incredible RottenTomatoes score can save it from the inevitable.
Anton Sugar
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:02 PM)
Anton Sugar's Avatar
Judge trailers as trailers and movies as movies. This wouldn't be the first time in the world a studio was nervous about the reception of a movie and used marketing to drum up more excitement (and/or misrepresent it). It also wouldn't be the first time a trailer did not represent the quality of the finished film. What do you know?

I'm also sure the studio is fully aware that the original Blade Runner had a very mixed critical/public reception and only became a sci-fi darling years down the line.
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(07-17-2017, 05:03 PM)
Ushojax's Avatar

Originally Posted by border

It's kinda funny to think that after many years of re-releases, the studio has probably just managed to break even on the original Blade Runner. And now they're going to eat a massive loss on this one, restoring the franchise's status as a failure.

Looks absolutely great, though! I hope an incredible RottenTomatoes score can save it from the inevitable.

I think that the producers are probably braced for a small loss, what they want is the kudos of making a good sequel. Nobody sane would finance a BR sequel thinking it would be a box office smash.
Oveja Negra
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:18 PM)
Oveja Negra's Avatar
Ok, I just watched this. Some quick comments:

- Visually, it looks amazing.
- The music -except for those Vangelis parts- sounds so damn meh. Uninspired as hell.
- The more I watch him, the less I like Gosling as part of the cast. The guy has such a goofy aura attached to him that I just can't take his roles seriously. I think he is perfect for movies like The Nice Guys, not for more "serious" ones.
- The trailer shows way too much action, it looks more like Ghost in the Shell than Blade Runner. I hope the studio is playing with us and the movie doesn't end being like an action hero story.

I really want to be proven wrong regarding all my concerns.
Simo
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:21 PM)
Simo's Avatar

Originally Posted by SuperStiltzkin

The man did Sicario and Arrival and y'all think this is gonna be some kind of fast paced action movie.

lol current cut that got screened last month was damn near 3 hours long.
Anton Sugar
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:22 PM)
Anton Sugar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oveja Negra

Ok, I just watched this. Some quick comments:

- Visually, it looks amazing.
- The music -except for those Vangelis parts- sounds so damn meh. Uninspired as hell.
- The more I watch him, the less I like Gosling as part of the cast. The guy has such a goofy aura attached to him that I just can't take his roles seriously. I think he is perfect for movies like The Nice Guys, not for more "serious" ones.
- The trailer shows way too much action, it looks more like Ghost in the Shell than Blade Runner. I hope the studio is playing with us and the movie doesn't end being like an action hero story.

I really want to be proven wrong regarding all my concerns.

Well, it is 2 minutes taken from a 2 hour movie. You could *easily* cut an action-packed Blade Runner trailer in the same way.
Violence Jack
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:23 PM)
Violence Jack's Avatar
God that looks so good. Can't wait.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
(07-17-2017, 05:27 PM)
border's Avatar
The trailer for Sicario makes it look like some south-of-the-border shoot-em-up crossed with Training Day, where Emily Blunt inevitably turns in some dirty cops.

Instead it's Emily Blunt getting pushed around by dirty cops and not knowing what she's doing for 2 hours, with like 2-3 action sequences interspersed.

I don't think it's fair to say that Blade Runner is going to have too much action.
Oveja Negra
Member
(07-17-2017, 05:29 PM)
Oveja Negra's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anton Sugar

Well, it is 2 minutes taken from a 2 hour movie. You could *easily* cut an action-packed Blade Runner trailer in the same way.

I know, that's why I said I hope the studio is tricking us. But at the same time it could be fully representative of how the movie is going to be. That's why I'm worried.
UrbanRats
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:02 PM)
UrbanRats's Avatar

Originally Posted by Simo

lol current cut that got screened last month was damn near 3 hours long.

That doesn't mean much.
Marvel movies are action packed and super long.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(07-17-2017, 06:07 PM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar
Looks good. I'm really concerned about how this movie will perform though. Very unfortunate that this is coming out in the same year as Ghost in the Shell.
Anton Sugar
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:09 PM)
Anton Sugar's Avatar
The trailer is the *only* reason to think this is going to be some action-packed blockbuster. I mean, you all have seen Villeneuve's other movies, right? If you looked at his track record and never saw this trailer, you'd have no reason to think this won't be a more cerebral, slow-paced, moody thriller.

We'll find out in October.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
(07-17-2017, 06:17 PM)
wenis's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anton Sugar

The trailer is the *only* reason to think this is going to be some action-packed blockbuster. I mean, you all have seen Villeneuve's other movies, right? If you looked at his track record and never saw this trailer, you'd have no reason to think this won't be a more cerebral, slow-paced, moody thriller.

We'll find out in October.

we also have someone working on the movie in this thread letting us know this trailer is intentionally misleading.
btrboyev
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:20 PM)
btrboyev's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

Looks good. I'm really concerned about how this movie will perform though. Very unfortunate that this is coming out in the same year as Ghost in the Shell.

The movie isn't going to light a blockbuster fire, but if it gets solid reviews it will do well enough. Hopefully.

Though movie goers these days are super unpredictable. If you aren't a comic book, Star Wars or a Disney/CGI movie, you aren't lighting up any charts.
Kibbles
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:23 PM)
Kibbles's Avatar

Originally Posted by BrokenFiction

Don't forget the 4K/HDR remaster of The Final Cut is coming in September:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1404186

After the release of this? Damn wanted to catch it before this.
Inferno313
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:23 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kibbles

After the release of this? Damn wanted to catch it before this.

This comes out in October.
keltickennedy
ah can't conversate
(07-17-2017, 06:27 PM)
keltickennedy's Avatar

Originally Posted by ProtomanNeo

Already in my contenders list for film of the year.

How was it?
badcrumble
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:31 PM)
badcrumble's Avatar
Movie looks gorgeous but way too much of that is color correction. The original Blade Runner was shot with a lot of genuinely dark scenes by people who knew how to do lighting; this film's nighttime scenes are all clearly shot in full light and then color corrected to look dark, and that's a damn shame no matter how gorgeous the digitally altered colors look.

Still a fan of the creative team working on this, and obviously Deakins is brilliantly talented, but I worry that the production schedule is forcing some lazy decisions like that.
Animator
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:31 PM)
Animator's Avatar

Originally Posted by moggio

Did all the good cinematographers die?

I think they probably did.

Also I didn't know Jared Leto was in this.

I can't wait to see him trying hard to do acting.


Wait are you saying Roger fucking Deakins is a bad cinematographer because LOL.
BrokenFiction
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:32 PM)
BrokenFiction's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kibbles

After the release of this? Damn wanted to catch it before this.

No it's before. 2049 is in October.
Bruce Springsteen
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:33 PM)
Bruce Springsteen's Avatar
Blade Runner remains the GOAT movie to smoke to, this might live up to its predecessors legacy
daviyoung
aka Theakins Buttleworth
(07-17-2017, 06:34 PM)
daviyoung's Avatar

Originally Posted by keltickennedy

How was it?

11/10 Vealnahoove da GAWD!
Inferno313
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:39 PM)
Inferno313's Avatar

Originally Posted by moggio

Did all the good cinematographers die?

I think they probably did.

Also I didn't know Jared Leto was in this.

I can't wait to see him trying hard to do acting.

lmfao. There have been some atrocious hot takes™ on this site for the last few months, but this takes the cake.
En Ex
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:49 PM)
En Ex's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

So... the big twist is going to be that Replicants are not artificial androids but genetic evolution of humanity right? :P

Alien: Covenant spoilers:

As it turns out, Michael Fassbender created the replicants and/or all of humanity or something.
Z3M0G
Junior Member
(07-17-2017, 06:51 PM)
Z3M0G's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tunesmith

A palette cleanser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhJ7Mf2Oxs

How this is an official trailer, I don't understand.

wtf did I just watch LOL
Anton Sugar
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:57 PM)
Anton Sugar's Avatar

Originally Posted by badcrumble

Movie looks gorgeous but way too much of that is color correction. The original Blade Runner was shot with a lot of genuinely dark scenes by people who knew how to do lighting; this film's nighttime scenes are all clearly shot in full light and then color corrected to look dark, and that's a damn shame no matter how gorgeous the digitally altered colors look.

Still a fan of the creative team working on this, and obviously Deakins is brilliantly talented, but I worry that the production schedule is forcing some lazy decisions like that.

I'm not really sure how you're determining this. Which shot? There is some BTS that shows scenes from the trailer that are clearly dark. You could always ask Roger Deakins at rogerdeakins.com. He's no stranger to shooting in the dark or at dusk. His style is exemplified by high contrast ratios and lots of shadow/blacks.

In addition, it's perfectly acceptable to add more light to the shadows to bring out more detail in the grade, as long as you keep your ratios where you want them. It really just depends on whether or not you want that detail.
Last edited by Anton Sugar; 07-17-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Muppet of a Man
Member
(07-17-2017, 06:58 PM)
Muppet of a Man's Avatar
Holy shit...now this movie looks fucking good! I usually see movies in the theatre once every few years since most are garbage that aren't worth the cost of admission. I believe this one will be worth it, however.
Icolin
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:00 PM)
Icolin's Avatar


This looks so good.
Insane Metal
Dispensed Internet Salt
(07-17-2017, 07:07 PM)
Insane Metal's Avatar
This looks fucking fantastic, wow.

Edit: Stranger Things 2 and Blade Runner 2049 in the same month. LAWD.
norinrad
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:07 PM)
norinrad's Avatar

Originally Posted by fastford58

Better than the first trailer. I'm still not convinced this movie had to be made, though.

Same here. Guess we'll find out how good it is.
Ashhong
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:12 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by moggio

He tries too hard.

you try too hard.
Ithil
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:14 PM)
Ithil's Avatar

Originally Posted by FairFriend

To me these pictures look very sterile.

I see this complaint nonstop now. I will solve it.



Here is a picture of a petri dish with a bacteria colony. It is not sterile. Please look at it for sixty seconds to cure any fear of minimalism.
Nappuccino
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:24 PM)
Nappuccino's Avatar
Y'all need to see some of the director's other films.
Beer Monkey
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Animator

Wait are you saying Roger fucking Deakins is a bad cinematographer because LOL.

He's literally got more ASC nominations for the "Award for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Theatrical Releases" than anyone. Ever.
a916
Member
(07-17-2017, 07:54 PM)
a916's Avatar
So glad Denis is getting more and more exposure, this is in such good hands.
Tunesmith
formerly "chigiri"
(07-17-2017, 08:04 PM)
Tunesmith's Avatar

Originally Posted by Z3M0G

wtf did I just watch LOL

A media intern's summer assignment most likely.
0wing
Junior Member
(07-17-2017, 08:07 PM)
Here are some ProRes caps:

Lakitu
st5fu
(07-17-2017, 08:12 PM)
Lakitu's Avatar
I'm a huge fan of the original and I'm loving the look of this. Of course the trailer is action packed, it's bound to be considering they're trying to market to everyone...

I'm also a huge Villeneuve fan. I recently watch Arrival and it blew me away. I also love Sicario. I can't think of a better director or cinematographer for this.
Razorback PT
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:14 PM)
Razorback PT's Avatar
I'm at a 6/10 hype wise. This new trailer did nothing to raise or lower my expectations.
RedSwirl
Junior Member
(07-17-2017, 08:26 PM)
RedSwirl's Avatar

Originally Posted by SuperStiltzkin

The man did Sicario and Arrival and y'all think this is gonna be some kind of fast paced action movie.

This is pretty much what got me into the movie in the first place.

Originally I didn't think it needed to be made, but then I thought the first trailer looked good and then I found out it was bot the director and composer behind Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival.
3N16MA
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:31 PM)
3N16MA's Avatar
Looks stunning.
sarcastor
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:53 PM)
sarcastor's Avatar

Originally Posted by moggio

Did all the good cinematographers die? I think they probably did. Also I didn't know Jared Leto was in this. I can't wait to see him trying hard to do acting.

WarRock
Member
(07-17-2017, 08:55 PM)
WarRock's Avatar
So Replicants are Bioroids huh.

Thread Tools