• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Falchion
(07-17-2017, 05:43 PM)
I love diet soda (shout out to Diet Dr Pepper) but I try to only have it when I'm eating out so that I'm not drinking it all the time. My problem is that I don't like coffee or sparkling water so it's either water or lipton green tea.
Schattenjäger
Banned
(07-17-2017, 05:44 PM)

Originally Posted by DOWN

Maybe think about why they are claimed to be bad before just saying they are bad

lol didn't know it was a touchy subject

Still a lot of research that needs to occur

But this summarizes it nicely
And it says water (including flavored and sparkling) is a better choice which goes back to my original sentiment

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20170...a-health-risks
Starviper
(07-17-2017, 05:44 PM)
LaCroix for sure. I think they even came out with a cola-like flavor?
Rookhelm
(07-17-2017, 05:45 PM)
I'd say switch to unflavored sparkling water (or sparkling water that has no artificial sweeteners) or just plain iced tea.

I've stopped ordering diet sodas at restaurants (though still drink them at work and home sometimes), and if I'm not ordering beer, I get plain iced tea.

I don't add sugar or lemon or anything, and I've gotten to the point where I actually like the taste. Better than sweet tea even.
SocksAndShoes
Banned

Originally Posted by JCHandsom

Or some other brand of sparkling water. Did the trick for me.

Nailed it.
DOWN

Originally Posted by SG-17

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

Artificial sweeteners absolutely do not cause insulin to trigger Jesus

They do not affect blood sugar response http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/faq-20058038
TyrantGuardian
(07-17-2017, 05:46 PM)
Tap water is amazing where I live. No point in drinking anything else tbh.
PandaShake
(07-17-2017, 05:46 PM)
I enjoy soda water, but there's limited options here. Perrier tastes great, but it's expensive compared to soda. I don't like the flavored Perriers though.
Supa Necta
(07-17-2017, 05:48 PM)
A little off topic, but what does GAF think about getting a free water cup at a restaurant and getting carbonated water from the fountain machine?
J-Rod
(07-17-2017, 05:48 PM)
It's not carbonated, but ice tea (unsweetened of course) is my go to drink. Tastes like dirty leaf water, yum.
HawksWinStanley
(07-17-2017, 05:49 PM)

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

Well ain't that a bitch.
Wandering Robot
(07-17-2017, 05:49 PM)
And here I thought me drinking soda once or twice a week was pushing it. :o

OP, you like tea? You can control how much sugar goes into it (so long as you're making it yourself), obviously, and there's no lack of variety. There are ways to make it sparkling if you must have the fizz, and I can't blame you for wanting it. Anyway, most of what I drink is water, and tea is a great companion.
I do want to try La Croix, too, though...
Joe Shlabotnik
(07-17-2017, 05:50 PM)
I cut everything except water (and coffee) a few months ago after literally an entire lifetime of soda and flavored drinks (diet versions for the last 15 years or so).

Anyone can do it if I can do it. Your taste buds adjust in two weeks, max. Add a bit of lemon or lime juice if you occasionally need some extra flavor.
SG-17
(07-17-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by HawksWinStanley

Well ain't that a bitch.

Yep. So if you do want to drink soda, drink soda made with real sugar.
McBryBry
(07-17-2017, 05:52 PM)
I have coffee in the morning for wake-up caffeine. I've had the La Croix lemon and it was ok. Not a fan of tea. What other LaCroix flavors are good?

Also, hate Propel flavored waters. Those taste like shit.
LeadProtagonist
(07-17-2017, 05:52 PM)
Seltzer for me.

Also iced green tea like Oi Ocha.
davidwhangchoi
(07-17-2017, 05:53 PM)
Diet soda is nasty and some combinations don't make sense.

Diet Mountain Dew... that's like saying healthy toxic
iamverificationimage
Just go cold turkey, and drink water. I've been doing it for about ten years now before that, I would drink a can of coke a day for years. You'll notice that you'll lose a lot of weight and eventually you'll hate the taste of soda and won't miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
YuriLowell

Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar, if not worse. Go cold turkey to flavored seltzer or plain water.

No, they aren't. Please stop spreading this nonsense.
Earthbound64

Originally Posted by Schattenjäger

I don't know anything about the S*n just saw the article this morning in the post and decided to share

Ottaro
(07-17-2017, 05:54 PM)
Also, moving to regular water will save you a hell of a lot of money over time.
mjc
(07-17-2017, 05:54 PM)
I switched to water and ice tea/powerades for awhile. Now I largely drink just water.
br3wnor
(07-17-2017, 05:55 PM)
Seltzer did it for me. I’ll have soda sometimes if I go out to eat or something but other than that I’m drinking water or Seltzer. Chugging an ice cold original flavor seltzer right form the can when you’re really thirsty is an otherworldly experience. Started during college when I’d wake up after a hard night of drinking and it was like mana from heaven, haven’t stopped since.
Joe Shlabotnik

Originally Posted by iamverificationimage

Just go cold turkey, and drink water. I've been doing it for about ten years now before that, I would drink a can of coke a day for years. You'll notice that you'll lose a lot of weight and eventually you'll hate the taste of soda and won't miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Though I wouldn't say I hate the taste of soda, but it's more like a very occasional dessert-y treat (especially real sugar soda) than any kind of thirst-quenching beverage.
DudeWithNoName

This, exactly. They sell it very cheap at Costco if that's an option.
Spuck-uk
LaCroix etc are still just diet soda. Just buy cheap unflavoured sparkling water
PandaPandaPanda
(07-17-2017, 05:56 PM)
I went cold turkey and went straight to water(and a cup of coffee in the mornings at work) along with tea. My sister moved to La Croix as others have suggested. I've tried it and I think it's alright but I didn't think it was anything special. She seems to like it though.
Spuck-uk
(07-17-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Earthbound64

YNWA
djplaeskool
(07-17-2017, 05:57 PM)
Sparkling water and related drinks
family_guy
(07-17-2017, 05:58 PM)
Tea? Green tea?
Fuchsdh

Originally Posted by Al-ibn Kermit

The clear mountain stuff sounds like it's the same as diet soda.

If you want to cut out that craving for sweetness, I'd just go with sparkling water and see how it goes.

Yeah they're mostly all aspartame-based so not much different from diet sodas.

I'll third or fourth or X sparkling water. It's cheap, it's bubbly, it's nice to drink.

They still make flavors for seltzer water, they just aren't as intense as the ones with sweeteners in them. Might take a bit of adjusting but I vastly prefer them to the sweetened stuff.
Draper
Maybe sparkling water with Mio?
JetBlackPanda
La Croix

Originally Posted by Spuck-uk

LaCroix etc are still just diet soda. Just buy cheap unflavoured sparkling water

La Croix is not the same as diet soda. Its sparkling water with essence (oil flavors) that's it.
shawnbuddy
The sweeteners in diet soda and flavored water, like sucralose, can give you looser stools and can cause diarrhea. They also fuck up your appetite in a way that makes you hungrier and makes you eat more. It's not some cancer scare, there's a concrete reason not to drink it.
Earthbound64

Originally Posted by Spuck-uk

YNWA

YNWA :)
rjinaz
I recommend True Lime or True Lemon or True Orange. They have just one gram of sugar and you mix them with 16 ounces of water. 10 calories per serving. They also have Stevia but for me the sugar is enough for it not to taste very "diet-y". It got me off of soda entirely. If you absolutely still need carbonation, you can also mix them with soda water which is good but the powder does cause a lot of bubbling at first. My favorite flavor is the True Lime Watermelon flavor. I also mix the Lemon flavors with vodka when I drink and it's pretty good.

My second recommendation is soda water mixed with a water enhancer called Stur. It's sweetened with Stevia as well.

Mind you, I don't like artificial sweetners at all, they give me headaches and cause other effects to my body like increased urination. It's why I stick with Stevia.
Brandon F
Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
(07-17-2017, 06:03 PM)
Carbonated water worked for me as well. Used to drink at least 2-3 Diet Cokes a day for decades, now I only drink flat and sparkling water.

Usually don't bother with any of the flavored stuff, though I will add a lemon or lime slice when able. Iced tea on occasion as well, but no sweetener.
Gordon Shumway
Banned
(07-17-2017, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by shawnbuddy

Just drink water. You don't need flavors.

Bingo..
Thornton Reed
(07-17-2017, 06:05 PM)
I'm having my mind blown in this thread. Sugar addiction is real. I just drink water, about 2.5l a day and don't even think about it. You can add mint, lemon or cumcumber to your water to pep it up. The only enjoyment I get from drinking is drinking alcohol, other than that liquid is just the stuff I need to survive
Kenstar
(07-17-2017, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by DOWN

Artificial sweeteners absolutely do not cause insulin to trigger Jesus

They do not affect blood sugar response http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/faq-20058038

Well I heard that diet soda gives you AUTISM and is 100x more toxic than sugar
hydrophilic attack
Banned
(07-17-2017, 06:06 PM)
water

milk

tea

coffee

beer

all you ever need to drink
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(07-17-2017, 06:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Warm Machine

What is gross about SodaStream?

Jim Starlin, the man who created Thanos almost got killed by one

shira
(07-17-2017, 06:08 PM)

louiedog

It blows my mind that people are incapable of drinking still water and they need someone to help them not drink soda. What happened to us?
tanooki27
iced herbal tea
Rolfgang
(07-17-2017, 06:12 PM)
After my dentist told me I should lower the amount of soda I drink, I just went over to tap water. In The Netherlands it's just as good as bottled water.

Now I almost only drink water. In the evening and morning a cup of coffee and/or a glass of milk, sometimes a glass of soda and the occasional beer at parties. But mostly it's water and perfectly fine for me. It's also a lot cheaper :P
GatorBait
(07-17-2017, 06:26 PM)

Bingo.

No calories. No artificial sweeteners.
constantstatic
(07-17-2017, 06:29 PM)

Originally Posted by DriftingSpirit

95% of what I drink is just regular water. It isn't all that bad. I've been thinking of adding fresh lemon or something like that though. Just to try some different things.

I add lemon juice and lime juice to my carbonated water from the soda stream it's tasty. I have also read you can use the frozen juice concentrate to flavor your sparkling water.
Alter_Fridge
(07-17-2017, 06:29 PM)
Why do so many people need flavoured water?
SigSig
(07-17-2017, 06:32 PM)
Soda -> flavoured water -> carbonated water -> water
or soda -> tea/water