• @NeoGAF

Ensirius
(07-17-2017, 05:32 PM)
I went with Aquarius.
Never looked back.
Hollywood Duo
(07-17-2017, 05:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Alter_Fridge

Why do so many people need flavoured water?

Junk food is addictive and alters your brain. It's not by choice,
Finale Fireworker
(07-17-2017, 05:33 PM)
I have a massive 40oz water bottle I keep on my desk at work. I drink 3-4 of them a day. I stay very well hydrated and it definitely curbs my appetite.

But nothing beats a diet soda for me. It's like ambrosia. It gives me life. Every meal is better. Every afternoon slump is shorter. Every morning is easier with a Diet Coke or a Coke Zero.

I don't drink any alcohol. I don't drink coffee. I don't even drink tea. Every day, I basically drink 120 ounces of water and two zero calorie sodas. My QoL would decrease significantly without them.
Affeinvasion
(07-17-2017, 05:34 PM)
I just started drinking more beer. Pretty much cut out soda entirely. And an occasional beer is probably good for you according to some German scientists.
The Rain King
(07-17-2017, 05:37 PM)
Squeeze half a lemon into a tall glass and fill it with ice cold sparkling water. It's honestly nicer than any fizzy drink I've ever had, and has the additional bonus of natural vitamins.
Kadayi
(07-17-2017, 05:38 PM)

Originally Posted by louiedog

It blows my mind that people are incapable of drinking still water and they need someone to help them not drink soda. What happened to us?

A lot of people find water on its own pretty bland. Although in truth water taste does vary depending on the source (see link below )

Personally, I'm not keen on it unless it's been chilled in the fridge. Got a new fridge with a water cooler in it and found that has been beneficial in that regard.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/i-went...15-6?r=US&IR=T

^ I was sceptical on that shit, but bought a few different bottles of water and must admit the difference is noticeable.
Alter_Fridge
(07-17-2017, 05:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

I love my chocolate, but there's nothing more refreshing than ice cold water
DOWN
(07-17-2017, 05:40 PM)

It blows my mind that people are incapable of drinking still water and they need someone to help them not drink soda. What happened to us?

Huh? That’s like saying your mind is blown that people can’t spend their days eating quinoa and plain chicken breasts because it’s healthy. People taste great thing, human behavior doesn’t let them forget great thing when having less great thing.
PlayALLtheGames
Barber: Whatchu want?
Me: I've got $24
Barber: Say no more fam
(07-17-2017, 05:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Schattenjäger

Hate to be the bearer of bad news

Still beats diet soda though

http://nypost.com/2017/07/17/sparkli...-good-for-you/

What a whack article. Title doesn't match the contents, and in the contents you have one dentist claiming fizzy water can erode tooth enamel because of its acidity and a spokesman for the ADA saying there's no evidence plain fizzy poses a risk to enamel. Ends with the claim that fizzy water may make you fatter because it doesn't fill you up as much so compels you to eat more? Lol.

I mostly drink plain water now but plain Perrier was my go-to replacement for Sprite when I quit soda a few years ago.
Lulzwagon
(07-17-2017, 05:43 PM)
Sparkling lemon water is awesome and a great replacement. I only consume Diet Pepsi with my whiskey now and never touch anything any other time.
Alter_Fridge
(07-17-2017, 05:46 PM)

Agreed. It's ridiculous.
Vital Tundra

For sure, but I sure won't deny that everything can be hard to let go of. Im not gonna fault people for not wanting to drink pure water, its hard for some people.
Dee Dah Dave
Just stop and drink water only, you will 'cold turkey' within a month. Or get some sparkling water and put a dash of fresh lemon or lime in it as an intermediate process.
Hollywood Duo
(07-17-2017, 05:47 PM)

I agree there but some people are much farther gone down that particular rabbit hole.
kamakazi5
(07-17-2017, 05:48 PM)
If you have a Costco membership they sell Ozarks sparkling waters that are fruit flavored. They aren't the highest quality but it's a 24 pack of 16oz bottles for less than $8. Way cheaper than most brands and you can add a bit of lime or lemon to your enhance it more.
Finale Fireworker
(07-17-2017, 05:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Vital Tundra

For sure, but I sure won't deny that everything can be hard to let go of. Im not gonna fault people for not wanting to drink pure water, its hard for some people.

I drink a ton of water because I am thirsty. It makes me feel good, physically, to drink cold water. It also stops me from snacking and keeps me feeling refreshed.

I drink sodas because I enjoy them. Because they make me feel good emotionally. I drink them because they taste good. Basically, none of the same reasons I drink and enjoy water.

What's clear to me in this thread (and most nutrition threads) is that people view the entire act of consuming food differently. Some view it as nourishment and nutrition and others view it as an indulgence and a pleasure.

I do not drink water for pleasure.
Gutek
(07-17-2017, 05:51 PM)

Originally Posted by McBryBry

So, I've finally stopped drinking regular soda. I decided that I was cutting out the sugary drinks because they're awful and I've drank water and Diet MD for months now. However, I think I should keep going and get off of it entirely. My friend started drinking Clear Mountain Ice sparkling water. The different flavors are pretty good and I think I've figured out that the carbonation is what I crave. However, I'm skeptical on if these things are actually any better than diet soda. Would these be a good idea? Or I'm thinking just regular sparkling water, maybe get some flavor like Mio.

What's the problem with diet soda?
Kitsunebaby
(07-17-2017, 05:52 PM)
I used to drink a lot of diet soda, but I moved away from it in an effort to curb my craving for sweets. At that time I ended up going for infused waters since I was having a hard time drinking plain water. Those Hint waters were really tasty to me, and not sweet at all. From that I eventually returned back to drinking plain water. Saves me some money, so I'm pretty happy about that. I don't think diet sodas are bad for you, but I definitely felt like I was addicted to them at one point and I'm glad to be past that.
poppabk
(07-17-2017, 05:52 PM)

Originally Posted by SG-17

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

Yeah but drinking plain water results in a sharp spike in water levels in the body, which can dilute the platelets in the circulatory system, interfering with the blood clotting cascade. You can literally bleed to death from even a small cut.

Or you know we could be realistic about the effects of drinking diet soda. Bad for your teeth, epidemiological associations with obesity.
NandoGip
(07-17-2017, 05:55 PM)
Force yourself to drink flavored sparkling water for a few weeks. The flavor doesnt come out until you drink it for a while. After that youll never be able to go back
Seirith
(07-17-2017, 05:56 PM)
All of the zero calorie flavored options have "fake sugar" in them. If you can tolerate/like them, drinking a sparkling flavored water is the same as a diet coke.

Maybe try just fizzy water and a squeeze of lemon? Or quit Soda, my husband quit drinking anything but water after his 3rd kidney stone. Literally all he drinks is plain water.
Lyte Edge
All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
(07-17-2017, 06:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Seirith

All of the zero calorie flavored options have "fake sugar" in them. If you can tolerate/like them, drinking a sparkling flavored water is the same as a diet coke.

No, not at all.

Plain water is absolutely the best option, but in the end:

So, is LaCroix healthy? Based on the factors we've outlined, yes. Though plain old water is still the best possible option, LaCroix is a massive upgrade over soda or high-sugar juices. It also hydrates you very similarly to regular water, which can be a huge boost to your overall health. So rejoice, LaCroix lovers. Your favorite beverage is legitimately good for you.

rjinaz
(07-17-2017, 06:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Lyte Edge

No, not at all.

Right actual carbonated water is fine, sometimes referred to as sparkling water. But those "sparkiling water" drinks you can get at walmart for example are just clear diet soda. clear choice or whatever.
Last edited by rjinaz; 07-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Trouble
(07-17-2017, 06:57 PM)
Unsweetened iced tea.
daxy
(07-17-2017, 06:58 PM)

Originally Posted by poppabk

Yeah but drinking plain water results in a sharp spike in water levels in the body, which can dilute the platelets in the circulatory system, interfering with the blood clotting cascade. You can literally bleed to death from even a small cut.

Or you know we could be realistic about the effects of drinking diet soda. Bad for your teeth, epidemiological associations with obesity.

Realistically speaking, you will not likely binge drink such quantities water to achieve those described negative effects. Drinking soda, including 'diet' soda, is a shitty habit that has no positive benefits in the long run like smoking or eating fast food on a regular basis, and there's no reason you shouldn't try to drop it. Its ease of consumption and the marketing strategies employed by its producers make it far too simple to overindulge.
Last edited by daxy; 07-17-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Adam_Roman
(07-17-2017, 07:06 PM)
I drink water with lemon juice in it. It tastes good and doesn't have any fake sweeteners in it.
Earthbound64
(07-17-2017, 07:06 PM)

Originally Posted by daxy

Drinking soda, including 'diet' soda, is a shitty habit that has no positive benefits in the long run like smoking or eating fast food on a regular basis,

One of these is not like the others.

You need some form of food in order to live.
You need some form of drink in order to live.
You do not need some form of tobacco and nicotine in order to live.

Yes, certain foods and drinks are worse choices than others, but they still fulfill a necessity for life.
Don't overpay the hand and be disingenuous.
Timeaisis
(07-17-2017, 07:08 PM)
Topo chico (or any carbonated water) with lime has helped me quite a bit.
jman2050
(07-17-2017, 07:14 PM)
Diet soda isn't bad for you.
Timbuktu
(07-17-2017, 07:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Hollywood Duo

What exactly happens if you don't drink soda?
Coriolanus
(07-17-2017, 07:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Lyte Edge

No, not at all.

He explicitly mentioned diet coke. So yeah, it kinda is the same. As your link mentions, the difference is in whatever the fuck lacroix uses as "natural flavours" to enhance the taste.

Originally Posted by daxy

Realistically speaking, you will not likely binge drink such quantities water to achieve those described negative effects. Drinking soda, including 'diet' soda, is a shitty habit that has no positive benefits in the long run like smoking or eating fast food on a regular basis, and there's no reason you shouldn't try to drop it. Its ease of consumption and the marketing strategies employed by its producers make it far too simple to overindulge.

false equivalence.
Additionally, videogame forum :rolleyes
Last edited by Coriolanus; 07-17-2017 at 07:20 PM.
PerkeyMan
(07-17-2017, 07:20 PM)

Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar, if not worse. Go cold turkey to flavored seltzer or plain water.

Artificial sweeteners cause the body to produce insulin due to the taste of sweetness and since there aren't any sugars to metabolize it can cause increased resistance and contribute to diabetes moreso than real sugar, especially in those already at risk for diabetes.

People like you spreading this nonsense is one of the reasons people wont switch from regular soda to diet which is MUCH better for your health.

Originally Posted by Schattenjäger

Diet soda has artificial sweeteners which some claim are just as bad as sugar

Flavored water has no sweeteners

Some people claim the Sandy Hook-shooting was a conspiracy.
Rktk
(07-17-2017, 07:23 PM)
Strangelove77
(07-17-2017, 07:42 PM)
Ah, an artificial sweetener discussion.
Good shit.
SFenton
(07-17-2017, 07:42 PM)
Sparkling Ice gives me life. It tastes every bit as good as a fruit soda and is zero calories.
yodandy
(07-17-2017, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by JCHandsom

Or some other brand of sparkling water. Did the trick for me.

Yep this is my life now. I drink 1-2 daily, really hoping this stuff is as natural as they claim it is.

Edit: Favorites are lemon, pamplemousse, and peach-pear, but I've liked them all except some melon one.
Kinokou
(07-17-2017, 08:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Nerfgun

what do you think the "flavours" are? it depends, some are aspartame, some sucralose... some are natural fruit juice but that can be sugary... you make the call

The flavored water I'm drinking is just marked with aroma as a flavoring ingredient, so I pretty much doubt my particular brand is using sweeteners.
Quonny
(07-17-2017, 08:02 PM)
Mio/powdered drink mixers.

Pretty easy to get off the stuff if you want once you find some delicious flavors.

But then what's the point besides ditching the carbonation.

Diet soda is fine.
Hoo-doo
(07-17-2017, 08:03 PM)
You just got to bite the bullet and switch off the sweetened drinks altogether.

Plain old tap water is the king of beverages. It'll save you tons of money as well.
Once you're off the sweet stuff for a while you can't even stand the taste of that stuff anymore. It's comically sweet.
Phu
(07-17-2017, 08:04 PM)
Get the blandest, cheapest vodka you can find and some fruit you like. Turn that into an extract and all it takes is like 2 drops to flavor a glass.
karmaforgotme
(07-17-2017, 08:04 PM)
I only drink diet soda when I drink alcohol. Coke Zero with Sailor Jerry dark rum is my drink of choice. Has anyone found a replacement for their 'mixed drinks'? I see that LaCroix makes a clear coke like drink (looks like Crystal Pepsi). I wonder if that mixes well with dark rum.
WaterAstro
(07-17-2017, 08:05 PM)
Just watch out for artificial no-calorie sweeteners in anything. They are terrible for your metabolism. Try to find drinks with Stevia.
Gutek
(07-17-2017, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

You just got to bite the bullet and switch off the sweetened drinks altogether.

Plain old tap water is the king of beverages. It'll save you tons of money as well.
Once you're off the sweet stuff for a while you can't even stand the taste of that stuff anymore. It's comically sweet.

Don't drink tap in the US. You'll get lead poisoning.
Hoo-doo
(07-17-2017, 08:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Gutek

What isn't messed up in the US? Damn son.
Don't you have proper government regulations on tap water?
Permanently A
(07-17-2017, 08:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Gutek

Depends where you are I guess

NYC water is pretty good
ERotIC
Banned
(07-17-2017, 08:08 PM)
TIL that everything is bad for you and is going to poison you.
ty_hot
(07-17-2017, 08:08 PM)
Guide to stop drinking: decide you want to stop and stop. I did it, you can do it. Im back at drinking, but its like a bottle per month so it's fine. I was never a heavy drinker though.

Just dont stop drinking soda and start drinking those juices that are pure sugar.
Raw64life
(07-17-2017, 08:09 PM)
I drink mostly regular water, but now when I crave carbonation I drink this

Fudgepuppy
(07-17-2017, 08:11 PM)
I don't know about you, but whenever I get into the habit of drinking Coke Zero a lot, I just skip two days, and drink lots of water. After that, drinking water doesn't feel like a step down. For me it's mostly the routine of drinking Coke Zero after work.
Gutek
(07-17-2017, 08:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Permanently A

Depends where you are I guess

NYC water is pretty good

Um, no?

Edit: https://www.vox.com/a/lead-exposure-risk-map