• @NeoGAF

Ryuelli
(07-17-2017, 09:23 PM)
bye_bitch.webm
GatorBait
(07-17-2017, 09:24 PM)

Originally Posted by Quonny

"Okay."

I mean, if they want to stick to their principles, they can go eat outside. I'm assuming they didn't go off on a tirade or anything. Not any skin or scales off your back.

Pretty much agree with this. Though I'd like the company at the dinner table, if they don't feel like they can oblige, it's not something I'd personally stress over. As long as he isn't being dick about it.
Poppy
"okay"

nothing would get in the way of me eating that cod at the time. i have no beef with people of any dietary preference, and also i am very good at ignoring people
TheOfficeMut
This would be a perfect opportunity to point out going forward that every other non-food item he touches, sits on or interacts with is not vegan friendly, just to gauge his response. "That's a leather couch. Shouldn't you be sitting on the floor?"
shandy706
I'd laugh as they walked out. "Enjoy!"

Enjoy your much better tasting food.
zulux21
I would likely just follow them and lock the door behind them, give them at least a few hours time out for acting like a spoiled brat. If I took the time to cook a vegan meal for them and they acted that way that would be it. I would never bother again they can feed themselves or eat my non vegan food.
Viewt
That's weird behavior, for sure, and I have a hard time believing that someone could get by in life refusing to even eat at the same table where meat was being consumed.

What does your sister think of all of this? Did she follow him out so that he wouldn't be alone, or did she agree?
tkscz
I'd look him straight in the eye and take a huge bite of my fish. Fuck him
minor effort
Banned
Why did they even come over for dinner if their ethical standards are that inflexible and they knew you weren’t vegan?
theaface
(07-17-2017, 09:25 PM)

Originally Posted by jiji

nice bait

Oh no you di'int. I'm leaving.
Tiops
Just ignore them. There's nothing to gain from a discussion with them.
Sgt. Kabukiman
Banned
If someone was being such a diva at one of my family dinners, we'd laugh at them for the entire day.
LookAtMeGo
I wish you had video. Shit would go viral.
Keyser Soze
Start doing Keto and make he REALLY annoyed
3N16MA
Banned
Bring your dinner outside and join them.
wenis
Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
just remind them

D4Danger
go and eat your food outside too
Adaren
Was the fish still whole when it was put on the table? Maybe that's what upset him.

Do you think he was intentionally causing a scene or was he legitimately upset? Only you can answer that OP, but if he's legitimately upset then I wouldn't hold it against him. Some people are just weird/sensitive, which is very different than being maliciously rude. You can ask how you can accomodate him in he future, and if his requests aren't something you're comfortable doing then you'll just have to live with the fact that you're both happier if you don't sit down for dinner with one another.
HellforLeather
Beyond fucking rude and I would ask him to leave. A meat alternative is prepped specifically for him but he still cant eat it because fish is being consumed at the same table? Is the world supposed to change because hes uncomfortable? What a nob. Go hand him a fork and tell him he can eat the grass outside.
TheCochese
Banned
(07-17-2017, 09:26 PM)
How did you find out he was a vegan? Flashing neon sign on the car?
captive
Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

Originally Posted by hydrophilic attack

So, I just had a family dinner. My sister and her husband are vegans. The food was delicious oven-baked cod and there were was a vegan alternative for my sister and her husband.

He declared that he would not be able to sit at the same table where dead fish was being consumed and left to eat outside, followed by my sister.

How would you react to this? Would it even be possible to go through life like this? Like, how would you deal with representation dinners as work? Should we as family enable such behaviour? In the real world, such silly behaviour is not acceptable. Your ability to socialize with anyone who is not a vegan would be non-existent.

Sorry, I'm rambling (and a bit upset) and can't really put together a coherent argument. Discuss.

offering a vegan alternative was more than i would have offered. /shrug.

dick move by them.
Boney
Banned
It's certainly rude but it's his prerogative. If he finds the consumption of animals to be morally reprehensible then he has the right to hold to that position. You're going to be able to quantify who is more right on the basis of table manners or veganism.

Originally Posted by captive

offering a vegan alternative was more than i would have offered. /shrug.

dick move by them.

Really? You'd invite your relatives for dinner and not offer them anything to eat? Would you leave peanuts even if someone were allergic?
Dai101
Banned

Originally Posted by hydrophilic attack

How would you react to this?

We (as in ALL my family) would have egged on him, hard. The Santana way HARD.
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just turn on the sprinklers OP
crimzonflame
You gonna let them get away with disrespecting your parents?
GarthVaderUK
Banned
(07-17-2017, 09:27 PM)
Extremely rude behaviour, he sounds like a dick. I wouldn't bother cooking for him again.
Tubs_McNubs

Originally Posted by Smellycat

That sounds like the setup to a joke

Yeah, I thought this was going to be a joke thread as well.
Ryuelli

Originally Posted by TheOfficeMut

This would be a perfect opportunity to point out going forward that every other non-food item he touches, sits on or interacts with is not vegan friendly, just to gauge his response. "That's a leather couch. Shouldn't you be sitting on the floor?"

"So you don't eat the meat? You just be wearin' that shit. That's barbaric as shit!".
RMI
Banned
sounds like a problem that solved itself, lol.
Earthbound64

Originally Posted by jph139

I mean, if you're vegan on a moral basis, that seems fair enough.

Like, would you sit at a table where they're carving up a whole golden retriever like a Christmas ham?

Yeah, the situation in the OP is understandable.
GrooveCommand
(07-17-2017, 09:28 PM)
Sounds like maybe you should be a good brother-in-law and respect his choices?
NimbusD
I mean, did they make any attempt to explain their position beforehand? It's a dick move to not say anything and then make a big commotion that your mom mainstream views aren't being properly supported.
SlickShoesRUCrazy
Sounds like a dbag.
G-Bus
I'd ignore him and his shitty attitude.

Bit of a slap in the face to your parents.

Edit - how long have they been vegan for?
neorej
ERMYGERD!
"Okay bye".

He's displaying stereotypical vegan behavior. He is trying to force you and yours into his lifestyle through emotional blackmail. Stay strong and let the bastard sit outside. Tell your sister he's being ridiculous and she shouldn't approve, or encourage, this type of behavior. Being vegan is okay, but respect other people's life choices.
Deadly Cyclone
Pride of Iowa State
Vegas are already on one of my last nerves (unless doing so for medical reasons), this would piss me off as well.

Tell them they are eating dead vegetables.
GhaleonEB
(07-17-2017, 09:29 PM)
I'd ask them if they do that everywhere they eat, or just at family gatherings.
bootsthecat
Banned
They're married? Is this the first time he has met/eaten with you guys? If not, was he ok before? Weird
BronsonLee
Banned
Lock the door
Saganator
Sounds like a quick and sure fire way to get a family to hate you. Wish there was a thread from the other perspective

"My family hates me because I'm vegan"
diablos991
Banned

Originally Posted by GrooveCommand

Sounds like maybe you should be a good brother-in-law and respect his choices?

How about the guest respect the host while on the host's turn?

Especially when the host went out of the way to accommodate the dietary restrictions.

Doubly so when you are hookup up with the host's daughter.
shira
Let em walk home instead of burning evil Dino remains
Trojita
Rapid Response Threadmaker

How would you react to this?

Lock the doors behind them 😎
backflip10019
If he's that rude to family, imagine how terrible he must be to everyone else.
PerkeyMan
Didn't he (the brother in law) know what you were having before you sat down? It sounds like a prepared protest/demonstration.
Chance Hale
I'm vegan and wouldn't act in such a way, especially when my own meal was prepared. Even if even the act of consumption upsets you it's not really realistic to avoid all visuals of it as well and acting in that way convinces no one to the alternative
choodi
Ignore them, they seem good at punishing themselves.
Neverwas
(07-17-2017, 09:30 PM)
use his douchery to tighten the bonds of family, and make fun of him at every family gathering. also only refer to him as Mariah from now on.
Adaren

Originally Posted by neorej

He's displaying stereotypical vegan behavior.

I'm not a vegan, but can we grow up and cut this shit out? Thanks.
____

Originally Posted by kamakazi5

I'd continue eating and not care about what they were doing.

Yeah, this.

I find it hard to pander to people and their foolishness, especially when it's for attention. The more you beg for attention, the less you'll get (from me).