• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Syriel
(07-17-2017, 09:01 PM)
So this film seems to have flown under my radar by quite a bit.

Saw the trailer recently and it looks intriguing.

Basic premise is that a woman gets blackout drunk one night after getting dumped. She wakes up in the morning to news that a monster (Godzilla sized) is wandering around Seoul. World is in awe, and she realizes that the monster's movements mimic her.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcZtz8VXXE

So, what say you GAF? Worth getting on Blu?
Fancyarcher
(07-17-2017, 09:03 PM)
Saw it at the Dartmouth film society. It's pretty good, don't go into expecting huge monster action or anything, it's really more of a quirky indie about a woman basically trying to "find herself" in a fun sort of way. Sudeikis is even great as her asshole of a friend. I'd definitely recommend it, it's not for everyone though.
Syriel
(07-17-2017, 09:07 PM)
Quirky indie works as long as it's well made. I enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed.

The part of the trailer that hooked me was her showing off to her friends, with the whole "What was that?," "A helicopter," "With the pilot and everything?" exchange.
YesNOnoNOYes
(07-17-2017, 09:09 PM)
Saw it and it was okay but it had problemsssss.
BoogieWoogie
(07-17-2017, 09:09 PM)
Really good flick, way darker than I had thought it was going to be.
Razzmatazzer
(07-17-2017, 09:11 PM)
Was excited to see it based on reviews/reactions but I struggled to finish it... Found it boring and pretty bad overall. Guess it wasn't for me!
TheProdigal
(07-17-2017, 09:12 PM)
I loved it and didnt expect thing to go the way they went in this movie.

Originally Posted by YesNOnoNOYes

Saw it and it was okay but it had problemsssss.

What problemssssss?
TheOnlyOneHeEverFeared
(07-17-2017, 09:12 PM)
Yes there was a topic about it. I loved it.
Fancyarcher
(07-17-2017, 09:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Syriel

Quirky indie works as long as it's well made. I enjoyed Safety Not Guaranteed.

The part of the trailer that hooked me was her showing off to her friends, with the whole "What was that?," "A helicopter," "With the pilot and everything?" exchange.

Yeah that's part of a good scene actually, as well.
The Kree
(07-17-2017, 09:23 PM)
This movie is very good, but it's not what you think it is. The monster is window dressing.
ShaunButter
(07-17-2017, 09:26 PM)
I really enjoyed it.
asagami_
(07-17-2017, 09:27 PM)
Pretty funny.

Anne's character arc ends very nice.
Sparse
(07-17-2017, 09:28 PM)
Went in knowing little about it. Loved it. Fucking amazing. I'm shocked that someone took a risk on it, and I'm glad they did.
Certinty
(07-17-2017, 09:28 PM)
Good movie. Just judging from the trailers I can't say that is what I expected. Expected a comedy, got something far darker.
Sean C
(07-17-2017, 09:31 PM)
Wonderful movie, one of my favourites of the year.
hank_tree
(07-17-2017, 09:35 PM)
Well worth a watch.
Shaanyboi
(07-17-2017, 09:36 PM)
Really enjoyed it. The trailers were really misleading about the tone, but it was better for it. The "reveal" about how this all started is really needless and ineffective, but the characters are solid.
Keym
(07-17-2017, 09:37 PM)
Stop reading anything about it and watch it. If you liked Safety Not Guaranteed, you'll like it.
Syriel
(07-17-2017, 09:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Keym

Stop reading anything about it and watch it. If you liked Safety Not Guaranteed, you'll like it.

Sounds like a plan. Initial responses in here seem to be pro so I'll probably snag the disc when it drops next month, but I'm going to bail out of the thread now before more people start talking about twists, reveals, and potential spoilers. :)

Thanks for the feedback all. It was helpful.
Falchion
(07-17-2017, 10:02 PM)
I really wanted to see it but I missed it during the theatrical run. Excited to catch it when it comes out at home though.
old
(07-17-2017, 10:10 PM)
I'm buying it. Great movie. Loved how it dealt with non-physical forms of abuse.
YesNOnoNOYes
(07-17-2017, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by TheProdigal

What problemssssss?

i will write you words!

but ..... i will have to run to a meeting for 3 hours first :(

but! i will write you words upon return. i promise o7
ElBoxyBrown
(07-17-2017, 11:23 PM)
Definitely worth it but be warned, it's depressing as fuck. It's more of a drama than a comedy.
Last edited by ElBoxyBrown; 07-17-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Fury451
(07-17-2017, 11:24 PM)
This is not at all what you think it's going to be. I think that is good, but it's not a quirky indie romance and I'll leave it at that.
B33
(07-17-2017, 11:26 PM)
It's great.
YesNOnoNOYes
(07-18-2017, 07:59 AM)

Originally Posted by TheProdigal

What problemssssss?

sorry took me a while to reply ; __ ; that meeting took longer than i thought it would ; __ ;

ok! so i went into colossal blind. i did'nt know what it was going to be and i was pretty keen to like it. in general, it wasnt a bad flick, but i came away feeling slightly frowny :<

to start off, im usually a sucker for movies that puts women character as front and center, since im a woman myself and i think women needs better roles (more complex and more human being like) in movies / general popular media.

but i feel that colossal pandered too much. and it was an odd sensation to me that i got from the movie. idk why but i felt as if none of the male characters was given any room NOT to fail. so, the childhood friend was obviously turned out to be a bad guy, and that was okay, of course, but say, her boyfriend was framed as someone who seemed as if he was a bit unreasonable with his expectations for her. (not sure if others get the same feeling) the movie came across trying to tell that he was a control freak that had been waiting for her to fail at being separated from him? (tell me if i am reading things differently than you / others!)

at the beginning, anne's character tried to lie? to her bf and then once he had left, her party friends came in to actually show that she did lie to him?

but on top of that, the other guy she had slept with, also was framed as someone who could not stand up to the baddie guy even after they had been intimate together. he was shown as being a neutral by-stander as the baddie guy went completely psycho and was, in some way, unavailable as someone she could count on. so, that's three male characters which is really almost all of the male characters in the movie that, i feel, made the movie stilted for me.

additionally, they escalated the third act inelegantly, i think? like, to me, they seem to demonize the baddie childhood friend very rapidly, even though SHE too had probably killed some innocents herself, but the movie made it seem as if the korean people suddenly turn to her side. it was done a bit too easily, for my liking.

however, i DID like the performances in the movie. the way the movie presented the baddie childhood friend's progression from 'looks like a nice dude' to 'omg psycho!' was really nicely done. i also like that anne's character felt convincingly like a person. the way she hooked up with the guy she slept with was cute :> so there's parts that i appreciate, but yes, those are my impressions for the movie.
Sesuadra
(07-20-2017, 06:20 AM)

Originally Posted by YesNOnoNOYes

sorry took me a while to reply ; __ ; that meeting took longer than i thought it would ; __ ;

ok! so i went into colossal blind. i did'nt know what it was going to be and i was pretty keen to like it. in general, it wasnt a bad flick, but i came away feeling slightly frowny :<

to start off, im usually a sucker for movies that puts women character as front and center, since im a woman myself and i think women needs better roles (more complex and more human being like) in movies / general popular media.

but i feel that colossal pandered too much. and it was an odd sensation to me that i got from the movie. idk why but i felt as if none of the male characters was given any room NOT to fail. so, the childhood friend was obviously turned out to be a bad guy, and that was okay, of course, but say, her boyfriend was framed as someone who seemed as if he was a bit unreasonable with his expectations for her. (not sure if others get the same feeling) the movie came across trying to tell that he was a control freak that had been waiting for her to fail at being separated from him? (tell me if i am reading things differently than you / others!)

at the beginning, anne's character tried to lie? to her bf and then once he had left, her party friends came in to actually show that she did lie to him?

but on top of that, the other guy she had slept with, also was framed as someone who could not stand up to the baddie guy even after they had been intimate together. he was shown as being a neutral by-stander as the baddie guy went completely psycho and was, in some way, unavailable as someone she could count on. so, that's three male characters which is really almost all of the male characters in the movie that, i feel, made the movie stilted for me.

additionally, they escalated the third act inelegantly, i think? like, to me, they seem to demonize the baddie childhood friend very rapidly, even though SHE too had probably killed some innocents herself, but the movie made it seem as if the korean people suddenly turn to her side. it was done a bit too easily, for my liking.

however, i DID like the performances in the movie. the way the movie presented the baddie childhood friend's progression from 'looks like a nice dude' to 'omg psycho!' was really nicely done. i also like that anne's character felt convincingly like a person. the way she hooked up with the guy she slept with was cute :> so there's parts that i appreciate, but yes, those are my impressions for the movie.

well, you just made me decide to not watch it >>