• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

If it doesn't pass this year and we flunk 2018 senate races, are we going to have to go through this again in 2019

In all honesty, I'll be surprised if they don't pass it in 2018 before the elections. I'm pretty sure most are more worried about the repercussions in mid-terms of not repealing Obamacare than repealing it.

Tamanon

Banned
If it doesn't pass this year and we flunk 2018 senate races, are we going to have to go through this again in 2019

If it doesn't pass now, I don't see it coming up again for real until 2020. You can't have control of all three branches, not pass a bill, and then say that that's your focal point going into the midterms.

Wait, so why the hell was Rand Paul a yes on the last senate stab at Obamacare repeal but now he is back to being a no?

Should we have anything to worry about if Rand, Murkowski and Collins stay on the no side?

Blader

We'll probably have to do this again early next year first. The ACA is not safe as long as Republicans control Congress, and many Republicans are going to be afraid of even harder right conservative primary challengers.

Wait, so why the hell was Rand Paul a yes on the last senate stab at Obamacare repeal but now he is back to being a no?

His position last time was that he would only vote for skinny repeal if McConnell put full repeal on the floor for a vote first. Whether you buy that, well...

Quinnipiac brings good tidings for Virginia

https://poll.qu.edu/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=2486

Ralph Northam (D) 51
Ed Gillespie (R) 41

Donald Trump
Approve 39
Disapprove 58

Terry McAuliffe
Approve 56
Disapprove 37

A 10-point lead seems a bit gaudy to me - I personally think Northam will win by 5-6 points. All the tied surveys we're seeing lately are simply on the other end of the outlier spectrum.

That being said, IF these numbers held up and IF Democrats in the House of Delegates elections tracked closely to Northam's numbers, we might have a decent chance at winning the House or at least making double-digit gains.

Picture of John Kelly from Trump's UN speech:

DKGqI-XXkAAiEd2.jpg

Quinnipiac brings good tidings for Virginia

https://poll.qu.edu/virginia/release-detail?ReleaseID=2486

Ralph Northam (D) 51
Ed Gillespie (R) 41

Donald Trump
Approve 39
Disapprove 58

Terry McAuliffe
Approve 56
Disapprove 37

A 10-point lead seems a bit gaudy to me - I personally think Northam will win by 5-6 points. All the tied surveys we're seeing lately are simply on the other end of the outlier spectrum.

That being said, IF these numbers held up and IF Democrats in the House of Delegates elections tracked closely to Northam's numbers, we might have a decent chance at winning the House or at least making double-digit gains.

Internals are tighter for Dems but also better than Suffolk. More in line with +5-6.

Blader

As much as VA is moving in our direction, I think it'll always have a high republican floor.

Yep, still lots of rural red in VA. You don't have to go much more than 30 minutes outside of Richmond before seeing churches with "God hates gays" signs posted along the road.

teiresias

Yep, still lots of rural red in VA. You don't have to go much more than 30 minutes outside of Richmond before seeing churches with "God hates gays" signs posted along the road.

Or even that random poster in a field on 295 North in Mechaniscville that's always thanking R reps (but during the past election season cycled between local and Trump stuff). Pretty tame what's up there on the Google Street View right now though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.570...4!1smjz4MS-hDJ2l3M3WS95i7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

So the Red Wings opened up their new stadium in Detroit a few days ago.

Guess who played a show at the grand opening ceremony. Kid Rock of course.

Selling "Kid Rock for Senate", shirts everywhere, and opened a Kid Rock restaurant across from the stadium.

Putting in work already.

Fuck the Red Wings

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The bar is set so low I actually thought the UN Speech sounded almost normal. I only caught the last 5 minutes though.

He called Kim Jong Un “Rocketman.”

I am 100% certain he was in the Whitehouse last night and either heard or thought up Rocketman, said to his hangers on, “That’s pretty good huh? ROCKETMAN! I’m gonna tweet it!” And they said, yes, that’s hilarious sir. You are a wag.

Then he decided this was also a good thing to say. To the UN.

FEDERALISM

@JStein_Vox
Sen. Kennedy (R-LA) says he's submitted amendments to Graham-Cassidy that would bar states from using $ to create single-payer systems

@JStein_Vox
His position, when pressed by @laurenegambino, is basically. that feds have right to lay down markers preventing bad policy

@JStein_Vox
Kennedy also told us he's submitting amendments to "Lindsey and Bill" so Medicaid work requirement is mandatory, not optional, for states.

Jim Newell‏Verified account @jim_newell 10m10 minutes ago
More
Asked Ron Johnson why CA/NY House GOP should support this. Says he hopes they realize it's "unfair" that they get disproportionate share.
LMAO!

Chad Pergram‏Verified account @ChadPergram 17m17 minutes ago
More
Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) on new health care plan: If you're in state that doesn't have expanded Medicaid, you're going to do great
...and if you're not? Your health insurance coverage is "don't get sick or hurt".

Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur 22m22 minutes ago
More
"Paul Ryan told me to my face: you pass it, we pass it," Lindsey Graham says of Graham-Cassidy.
Be curious to see how well that works out in practice if it does reach the House.

If the reconciliation dead line passes and they fuck up healthcare again, does that mean they can't use reconciliation for tax overhaul/budget stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom