• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf Rock/Indie/Alt Music Thread (RockGAF?)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A bit obscure.

Ceramic Dog - Your Turn (my favorite jazz/punk/experimental rock album of the year)
Listen
5505c11eada38725772ddc22a25e3135.jpg

Savages - Silence Yourself (that's some hard post-punk)
Listen
savages-silence-yourself-album-cover-press-300.jpg

Messo! Did not realise you had such good taste my friend. Love these two songs you've posted, will seek more for sure. Impressed by this Savages song especially, usually I think of post-punk as brittle instrumentation with no sustain on the guitars, but this is real purdy.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
For Screaming Meat and RobotNinjaHornets especially, do you know Alpha Male Tea Party? Remembered they ave a new ep out, and they are very much the balls out chunky indie band we were hoping for.

http://www.alphamaleteaparty.com/

Like it? Let me know, I have other stuff in a similar vein to recommend. I keep forgetting that the best stuff I heard this year I found by accident on Bandcamp.

For Screaming Meat and RobotNinjaHornets especially, do you know Alpha Male Tea Party? Remembered they ave a new ep out, and they are very much the balls out chunky indie band we were hoping for.

Like it? Let me know, I have other stuff in a similar vein to recommend. I keep forgetting that the best stuff I heard this year I found by accident on Bandcamp.

This is all kinds of good. I approve.

Depending on how mathy you want to go, have some Shapes

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This is all kinds of good. I approve.

Depending on how mathy you want to go, have some Shapes

ooo Brummy math rock produced by Eskil Lovstrom? Yes please :)

That last track on the AMTP EP is fucking incredible btw, I can't even comprehend what they're doing with the time sigs at the end there, it's beautiful. I need to give it to my drummer who insists on trying every riff in 7/8 :p

Carrying on the mathy goodness, check out Nope. I found them earlier this year and the record is really interesting. Two drummers playing mostly exactly in time gives it a really weird percussive feel, and the guitar sound is just lovely. A good record to read to.

I have a couple more records in a similar vein, I'll dribble them out in this thread though, keep it bumped and give y'all time to digest the goods.

That Alpha Male Tea Party is pretty sweet, thanks for posting them.

Any Shiner fans here? Cake has to be one of my all time favorite songs from them.

Ah yes, I'm seeing the Savages here in DC in a couple weeks. It shall be grand.

Anyone checked out the two new singles, 'Mercy' and "Million Miles' from TV on the Radio? They're both very good.

Check out 'Mercy' here.

I hope this means they are going to record a new album. As far as I know these two new songs are just something to tide us over until they start recording.

Sobriquet

Less plinky plonky "let me get what I want" la-di-dah longing for forbidden neckbeard love, more being fisted with broken shot glasses filled with jagermeister 'n' alien blood whilst spitting vinegar covered wasps directly into your mouth:

Todd - Track Side Fire

Lightning Bolt - Dracula Mountain

Oxes - Panda Strong

Lake of Dracula - Biographers of The Flaming Druglords

Part Chimp - Fasto

Anyone know of anything similar that's come out recently? I miss BALLS in rock music (without going metal).

How about Whores.?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Just listened to It's All About The Throat. Pretty cool. I'd love to see them live. Something of the Don Cabellero about them that has me intrigued.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Of the ones you posted, I like this one the best. Somehow t's like I heard Karma to Burn & Beefheart in one song

Speaking of panda's, there's a glaring omission in this thread... DEERHOOF

Spirit Ditties (dat riff)
+81
The Trouble With Candyhands
Super Duper Rescue Heads!
Cast off Crown (!!)
We do Parties
Odyssey

I can go and on with these guys, they're so awesome. I finally saw them live this year and it rocked. Though I guess Satomi's voice might make them a hate it or love it deal... If you're looking for an entry album in their big discography, start with The Runners Four.

We should add each other on last.fm btw, I'm here

besada

Banned
I've been rotating between the Shins and Mountain Goats for the last couple of weeks, doing a tour of all the albums. Goodness.

zerotol

Banned
Speaking of panda's, there's a glaring omission in this thread... DEERHOOF

Spirit Ditties (dat riff)
+81
The Trouble With Candyhands
Super Duper Rescue Heads!
Cast off Crown (!!)
We do Parties
Odyssey

I can go and on with these guys, they're so awesome. I finally saw them live this year and it rocked. Though I guess Satomi's voice might make them a hate it or love it deal... If you're looking for an entry album in their big discography, start with The Runners Four.

We should add each other on last.fm btw, I'm here

Deerhoof is one of the best bands around right now.

HiResDes

Stream The 1975's Self Titled Album

The Fader said:
Manchester’s The 1975 are the latest kids to mine what seems like their country’s greatest national resource when it comes to rock: youthful angst. “This album is the soundtrack to our formative years,” says singer Matt Healy. “The culmination of our adolescence and the cornerstone of our material thus far. That’s exactly what it is.” He preens moodily through the album, out September 3rd in the States, and its success is in just how personal it all sounds. “All I know is that it’s an uncompromising and honest depiction of who we are and what we’re about, and I’m very proud that we’ve had the opportunity to make an album like that.” Us too. Pre-order it here, or pick up vinyl and CD copies here.

...Nevermind it sucks and doesn't sound angsty at all.

Messo! Did not realise you had such good taste my friend. Love these two songs you've posted, will seek more for sure. Impressed by this Savages song especially, usually I think of post-punk as brittle instrumentation with no sustain on the guitars, but this is real purdy.

Thanks!

Tall Ships sounds great, thanks jedeyesniv!

First time hearing Deerhoof, very quirky. I like.

I know it's sort of a vague umbrella term, but I'm using it any way. Does any body here know of any good Post-Rock albums? Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Explosions in the Sky, etc.

Yndi Halda (English) and Samuel Jackson Five (Norwegian) are my favourites right now.

Kinski (Seattle, USA) is a must, even though their newest album is more accessible rock.
I Think I Blew It
Schedule for using Pillows and and Beanbags (~12 min of mastery)

Along with God is an Astronaut (Irish), and This Will Destroy You (Texas). Grails (Portland), too.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any body here a fan of Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea?

Hell yes. Funnily enough, I only got into it a few years ago after seeing context-less covers all over the Internet and giving in to curiosity. So glad I did, it's a mind blowing record. If you're interested in it, there's a book about the making of the album that is very insightful and inspirational, put out in the 33 1/3 series. The background and context have made the record mean so much more to me. And the final two pages is about the best motivational speech about making art I've ever read, it actually changed the way I think about art and music in a very real way.

Hell yes. Funnily enough, I only got into it a few years ago after seeing context-less covers all over the Internet and giving in to curiosity. So glad I did, it's a mind blowing record. If you're interested in it, there's a book about the making of the album that is very insightful and inspirational, put out in the 33 1/3 series. The background and context have made the record mean so much more to me. And the final two pages is about the best motivational speech about making art I've ever read, it actually changed the way I think about art and music in a very real way.

I should really pick up more of those 33 1/3 books. Since so many of my favorite albums have their own books, it sounds like something I would be naturally interested in.

Any love for Tall Ships? This is my band of the year so far, even though their record came out last year. Going to see them at the end of sept, very exciting. Big chunky riffs, good vocals, a playful attitude.

Tall Ships - T=0

Saw Tall Ships open for The National, they were really great still need to listen to their album though

Managed to get tickets to Haim yesterday despite them selling out in 5 minutes, should be good they sound fantastic live (from the recordings I've heard)

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper - Oct 16
God is an Astronaut - Oct 26
Russian Circles & Chelsea Wolfe - Oct 27
The National - Nov 10
Frightened Rabbit - Nov 14
Sigur Ros - Nov 16
Television - Nov 21
Yo La Tengo - Dec 5
Haim - Dec 13
Villagers - Dec 17

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I should really pick up more of those 33 1/3 books. Since so many of my favorite albums have their own books, it sounds like something I would be naturally interested in.

I think they vary wildly in quality, the OK Computer one is dogshit, just a really dry analysis of the music. With charts and shit. But the NMH one is fantastic - it has interviews with everyone except Mangum which actually helps in a way, serves to make him even more of a mysterious figure, and is a nice oral history of the whole movement he was involved in.

I love the first four Pumpkins albums. After that, though... I just pretend the band ended with Adore. Out of those, Siamese is probably my favorite. Such a solid record front to back, with "Cherub Rock", "Today" and "Soma" being among my favorites.

faridmon

Any Cut Copy fan here?

The new song bloody rocks and I am glad they kept the House-Disco theme that was the man attraction in Zonoscope.

Yes. YEEEEES. I like subtle stuff as much as the next man (La Bradford or Low, anyone?), but it is balls out rock and roll that is missing at the moment. Where is the next Nirvana, eh? I need something big, mean and dirty to blow all those introverted, balless, twee little indie bands out of the water for a couple years. Shake things up a little.

next nirvana? the market has changed way too much for a rock band to be that big. also, let's not forget that just ten years ago the indie landscape was dominated by interpol, white stripes, strokes, etc. , all definitely "rock" band and not twee in any kind of way, it was just that their sound was very different from the big alternative band of the early 90s with their loud (metal) guitars.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
next nirvana? the market has changed way too much for a rock band to be that big. also, let's not forget that just ten years ago the indie landscape was dominated by interpol, white stripes, strokes, etc. , all definitely "rock" band and not twee in any kind of way, it was just that their sound was very different from the big alternative band of the early 90s with their loud (metal) guitars.

By "next Nirvana" I meant more a band that comes along and changes the landscape completely rather than be "big" fiscally. You're right about ten years ago, though. That was definitely a seismic shift. We need another one!

I have to say though, those bands you mentioned wore their influences/old musical styles a lot more obviously than Nirvana did.

I have to say though, I was never a fan of the Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains set. They had too many 80s Hair metal tropes still hanging over their music. Contrary to popular opinion, I wouldn't put Nirvana in the same category as those, more with Pixies and Sonic Youth.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I do think there is something coming, if only because when you look at the cycles of music, the mainstream seems to be just over the tipping point of the current pop scene, the big fish like gaga and beiber and rhianna aren't nearly as big as they were a couple of years back and something's going to have to topple them and take their place soon.

No idea what it'll be though, and chances are I'm too old to get it properly anyway and it'll sound like shite to me (see: chillwave :p). But really, out whole culture could do with a new grungey, DIY movement, especially with how different the tech is these days.

I have to say though, I was never a fan of the Pearl Jam/Alice in Chains set. They had too many 80s Hair metal tropes still hanging over their music. Contrary to popular opinion, I wouldn't put Nirvana in the same category as those.

IMO Nirvana weren't grunge in the same way as PJ et al. In my mind there's more of a crossover with the alt rock stuff like the Pumpkins and Pixies etc. Something about tone, Nirvana were sharp and cutting and abrasive, whereas the grunge stuff for the most part was slower and rounder. That's my impression of it at least.

Funnily, I much prefer mid to late PJ than Ten and Vs, the overtly grunge stuff they did is just a bit dull, they wrre much more interesting when they went a bit country or let the guitars get spikier.

Sobriquet

IMO Nirvana weren't grunge in the same way as PJ et al. In my mind there's more of a crossover with the alt rock stuff like the Pumpkins and Pixies etc. Something about tone, Nirvana were sharp and cutting and abrasive, whereas the grunge stuff for the most part was slower and rounder. That's my impression of it at least.

Nirvana were way closer to grunge than the other bands mentioned (who weren't grunge at all).

Been listening to these guys recently-
augustines.jpg

Their new album is releasing soon. I just got tickets to see them live with Frightened Rabbit.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I do think there is something coming, if only because when you look at the cycles of music, the mainstream seems to be just over the tipping point of the current pop scene, the big fish like gaga and beiber and rhianna aren't nearly as big as they were a couple of years back and something's going to have to topple them and take their place soon.

No idea what it'll be though, and chances are I'm too old to get it properly anyway and it'll sound like shite to me (see: chillwave :p). But really, out whole culture could do with a new grungey, DIY movement, especially with how different the tech is these days.

^This. So. Freakin'. Much. We've had a hegemony of shiny X-Factor Pop and twee anesthetic indie for too long. I need some goddamn dirt, spit and blood.

Also, what the hell is Chillwave?

No way, man. :p

Exactly. This is gonna sound a teeny bit pretentious but it's the progressions and harmonies, too. PJ and AiC still have that 80s metal harmony, whereas Nirvana mixed ceratin Beatles-esque progressions with a ton of dissonance.

Funnily, I much prefer mid to late PJ than Ten and Vs, the overtly grunge stuff they did is just a bit dull, they wrre much more interesting when they went a bit country or let the guitars get spikier.

Vedder's fucking voice, though. Him and Chris Cornell sound like X-Factor contestants to me. They sing a little too well. Gimmie Black Francis' latino piggy screech any day. XD

Nirvana were way closer to grunge than the other bands mentioned (who weren't grunge at all).

Yeah, I never know if it was that Nirvana were closer to being grunge than them or the other way around. XD In any case, they have little to do with each other sonically.

Anyone agree In Utero is Nirvana's best album?

Absoltely not. It's the best album of any band (at least in my opinion). XD Steve Albini was the perfect choice to record them.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Well this is what I'm saying, if you look at the generic conventions, Nirvana weren't very grunge either. Closest was prob Kurt's voice, and even that got gnarlier than most grunge bands. Nirvana were a scrappy punk band with great pop songs.

^This. So. Freakin'. Much. We've had a hegemony of shiny X-Factor Pop and twee anesthetic indie for too long. I need some goddamn dirt, spit and blood.

Also, what the hell is Chillwave?

Chillwave is atmostpherics minus tunes.

Vedder's fucking voice, though. Him and Chris Cornell sound like X-Factor contestants to me. They sing a little too well. Gimmie Black Francis' latino piggy screech any day. XD

Yeah I see what you mean, I can't dig Cornell at all, he's way too 80s metal for me. But I love me some Pearl Jam. IMO they're more in line with just a classic 70s rock band like the Who or something. And they write straigh up great songs.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Chillwave is atmostpherics minus tunes.

Get some Cake. I'm sure it'll make sense after that.

Yeah I see what you mean, I can't dig Cornell at all, he's way too 80s metal for me. But I love me some Pearl Jam. IMO they're more in line with just a classic 70s rock band like the Who or something. And they write straigh up great songs.

Fair enough. I only ever bought Vs, I think. Didn't really settle with me.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm open to giving it a shot, but I don't think I'll get past Vedder's vocals.

In other news: That Tall Ships stuff is alright. Pretty eclectic, aren't they?

Yeah, I don't even know what genre you'd call them. Occasionally a bit mathy and big chunky guitars, but the vocals are really pastoral and almost folky. And then that last tune is full on electronica. Very surprising group, and I just love the sound of the record. One to watch, that's for sure.

edit: been listening to this over the weekend, new record from Crash of Rhinos who are another one of them bastard awesome northen bands - http://crashofrhinos.bandcamp.com/

Zozz

Banned
I'm gonna have to go with Austra, I honestly can't listen to anything else right now.

I'm listening to the Deluxe version of Feel IT Break and it's just as good as always, very timid and dark in nature. Olympia definitely kicks it up a notch, "Painful Like" is such a groovy tune!!

I'm in loooove with these guys.

I'm gonna have to go with Austra, I honestly can't listen to anything else right now.

I'm listening to the Deluxe version of Feel IT Break and it's just as good as always, very timid and dark in nature. Olympia definitely kicks it up a notch, "Painful Like" is such a groovy tune!!

I'm in loooove with these guys.

Olympia is really good, dance pop without the bullshit of mainstream dance pop

Top Bottom