• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

I noticed some soundtracks from the game are not in the original soundtrack. Is there a list for those missing soundtracks? And is there an information that tell you which part of the game the soundtrack play? I recognised some of them in the game but others, I am unfamiliar with them.

Golnei

Alternate take on the Monster Hunter cross-promotion:

C9xjwpJVwAAgm-1.jpg

Did I break the game? Trying to do one of the first side quests and I've killed all the enemies in the red circle and searched every inch of the area but can't find this broken key. What's up?

Roubjon

Did I break the game? Trying to do one of the first side quests and I've killed all the enemies in the red circle and searched every inch of the area but can't find this broken key. What's up?

Save, reload, go back, and kill them again. It's a high percentage drop, but not guaranteed. I had the same thing happen to me and it was the only time something like that ever happened.

Man, you aren't having the best luck lol.

chrono01

the venn diagram probably doesn't have much overlap but JP version of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (mobile gacha game) is getting a Nier: Automata collab
As much as I'd love to get 2B, it's not enough for me to go back to that game. Horrible drop-rates for 5* characters, even with the rainbow crystal change. What's the point in playing something, when the chances of you getting what you really want (rainbow crystals) is 1%? Even then, there's no guarantee the rainbow crystal you get will even be the banner character. Just depressing all-around. I still log in daily, but I don't even know why. I rarely play anymore. :(

Nice to see Nier get more exposure, though! It's only a matter of time before they get a Nier collaboration in FFXIV, but I don't play that game anymore either, haha.

Golnei

Clearly I've been playing this game wrong.

Definitely try using the debug mode more when you can - I've been having a lot more fun with it than the last 20 hours of normal combat in the game's story routes, just because it allows you to do more with basic enemies before they die. The regular enemies shouldn't be damage sponge sandbags, but at the same time there should be openings to do something similar in the normal course of gameplay - the simplified ARPG gameplay has more depth than it's credited for, but the balancing does it no favours.

That combo vid is cool but this game has some bad moments where its multiple enemies and you can not figure out whats coming at you. exs being
the desert centipede in route c, eve in routes a and b because of debris, beginning of route c where you fight groups of machines there is one group with a shit ton of projectiles.
. Combats great in general but it does have some issues.

Past route C question

i grabbed my save and just hit start game. And now I'm playing the intro part again? Is this the beginning of route D or do I need to initiate that through chapter select?

Past route C question

i grabbed my save and just hit start game. And now I'm playing the intro part again? Is this the beginning of route D or do I need to initiate that through chapter select?
Just go to Chapter Select and go to the last fight, unless you wanna finish up sidequests first

Hi, all.

Just beat Route A.

Is there a list of things that need to be done to finish B? C? Or do I simply just complete subsequent playthrough?

Also, I haven't once fused anything and upgraded one weapon and found two others (didn't buy anything really).

What are some other things I need to look into in this regard?

I've been mopping up all the chests I didn't find before, and there's only one I can't figure out how to reach: the one on the roof halfway between the factory and the desert. How do I get up there?

Also, I just idled at the title screen for the first time and stumbled into the attract mode video. I guess I should expect no less given how much Nier 1 spoiled before you even got to the title screen for the first time...

Is there a list of things that need to be done to finish B? C? Or do I simply just complete subsequent playthrough?

Also, I haven't once fused anything and upgraded one weapon and found two others (didn't buy anything really).

What are some other things I need to look into in this regard?

You finish route B the same way as route A. Get the Item Scan chip now, so you can find all the chests you missed the first time.

Fusion is only really interesting if you're fusing diamond chips (which have the lowest possible equip cost). Although you can probably get along fine by just equipping all the diamond chips you find.

It's worth doing a bunch of sidequests, in order to get weapons, skills, and other perks that you can't get anywhere else. A lot of them will be much easier on route B.

You can probably get by with whatever weapons you happen to find, and just upgrading whenever you can. But it is traditional in this franchise to give you something special for collecting all the weapons (and fully upgrading them all)...

Jubern

I did the exact same thing with the route G thing yesterday lol

So I played a good hour on route B and was wondering a few things about the general flow of the game.

Mainly, should I care that much about side-quests? I did maybe 30% of them on my first playthrough and was wondering whether it was really necessary to do any more...
Are there any you would recommend not to skip?

Also, when does the game actually "end"?
Mind you I'm looking for a complete experience but I'm definitely not a completionist and kind of short on time.
Is there anything to do after route C other than sidequests?

Welp. Put it on very hard (new game) and it took me 1.45 hours to clear the prologue.

I don't think I can sustain this, fam. Basically everything 1-shots you.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I did the exact same thing with the route G thing yesterday lol

So I played a good hour on route B and was wondering a few things about the general flow of the game.

Mainly, should I care that much about side-quests? I did maybe 30% of them on my first playthrough and was wondering whether it was really necessary to do any more...
Are there any you would recommend not to skip?

Also, when does the game actually "end"?
Mind you I'm looking for a complete experience but I'm definitely not a completionist and kind of short on time.
Is there anything to do after route C other than sidequests?

All I'll say is.

When route C comes.

Hold onto your butts.

Also side quests adds good flavour but if you don't feel like doing them don't do it.

Good ones to do for flavour in B is the Data Analysis Freak, and hopefully you did finding a present in A. They add some fun flavour for the operators in route C.

Doing emil's quest also unlocks an area you can revisit in C.

This industry needs more people like Yoko Taro. The closest any game has gotten me to feel these feels has been Earthbound, whose director was also a writer by profession.

So basically, give directing duty to more writers rather than artists and pair them with a Taura-like gameplay and mechanics wizard to keep the fun factor intact.

Brilliance seeping from every facet of this damn game, I'm still thinking about it months later and rendered unable to fully enjoy Persona 5 XD

Good ones to do for flavour in B is the Data Analysis Freak, and hopefully you did finding a present in A. They add some fun flavour for the operators in route C.

Also worth pointing out that you get the Slow pod program from Data Analysis Freak 2.

That quest and Amnesia, which gives you Wire, should probably be flagged as essential since they let you completely change the flow of combat to suit yourself.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
This industry needs more people like Yoko Taro. The closest any game has gotten me to feel these feels has been Earthbound, whose director was also a writer by profession.

So basically, give directing duty to more writers rather than artists and pair them with a Taura-like gameplay and mechanics wizard to keep the fun factor intact.

Brilliance seeping from every facet of this damn game, I'm still thinking about it months later and rendered unable to fully enjoy Persona 5 XD

Im going to sound perhaps silly saying this but I think Suda51 is kinda on the same lane as Yoko Taro but has yet to nailed the compelling gameplay that Automata did. Killer 7 is a game that despite the gameplay being mostly unpolished it has something that keeps coming into my mind by the way it handled it themes and characters and to a degree No More Heroes does also unique things with the way the narrative and gameplay is handled that stays on you even if its not well done. I wish people like Yoko Taro and Suda had more often a good team behind them to match their talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference ideas in the gameplay aspect of their games. Mind you Suda has kinda gotten lazy after NMH1 but Im sure he can come up with crazy ideas if given the time and budget.

Also to me it annoys me to see people compare Yoko Taro to Kojima because IMO Kojima is not all that great. *waits for pitchforks and torches*

Antiwhippy

I think MGS2 is pretty fantastic with its themes.

But lolno kojima wishes he could write something as compelling as both nier games.

Im going to sound perhaps silly saying this but I think Suda51 is kinda on the same lane as Yoko Taro but has yet to nailed the compelling gameplay that Automata did. Killer 7 is a game that despite the gameplay being mostly unpolished it has something that keeps coming into my mind by the way it handled it themes and characters and to a degree No More Heroes does also unique things with the way the narrative and gameplay is handled that stays on you even if its not well done. I wish people like Yoko Taro and Suda had more often a good team behind them to match their talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference ideas in the gameplay aspect of their games. Mind you Suda has kinda gotten lazy after NMH1 but Im sure he can come up with crazy ideas if given the time and budget.

Also to me it annoys me to see people compare Yoko Taro to Kojima because IMO Kojima is not all that great. *waits for pitchforks and torches*
Maybe Death Stranding will give Kojima the burst of inspiration he sorely needs, but I haven't been impressed with him since MGS3. His writing and characterization have existed at the same juvenile level of arrested development for years.

Taro just seems to write what he personally enjoys and happens to be fond of at the moment, while Kojima still writes like an aggrieved Hollywood pariah aching to be accepted by the big boys.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Maybe Death Stranding will give Kojima the burst of inspiration he sorely needs, but I haven't been impressed with him since MGS3. His writing and characterization have existed at the same juvenile level of arrested development for years.

Taro just seems to write what he personally enjoys and happens to be fond of at the moment, while Kojima still writes like an aggrieved Hollywood pariah aching to be accepted by the big boys.

I see Kojima like M. Night Shamalayan. He has some really good not great stuff that gets overrated and lots of ehhh moments. But thats me clearly.

Antiwhippy

Also maybe it's my fault for not touching the first nier, but coming from drakengard I was expecting some crazy shit, but not something so... touching and human.

Ironic in a sense.

The difference between those three for me...

I have never actually felt compelled to play a Kojima or Suda game after watching them being played. I don't own any Kojima games (considering Revengeance literally isn't a Kojima game) and the one Suda game I played was on my phone.

Mainly it's the prospect of stopping gameplay every 10 minutes while having to keep track of a thousand things (MGS) or dealing with outright bad gameplay (basically anything by Suda).

I own both Niers and played them without any advanced knowledge - these games feel like they actually want you to play them, without trying to throw up roadblocks to challenge you at every turn. Wouldn't touch Drakengard, though, for the same reasons.

Golnei

Mind you Suda has kinda gotten lazy after NMH1 but Im sure he can come up with crazy ideas if given the time and budget.

I wouldn't say "lazy" so much as "increasingly absent from the creative process". Hopefully he can start getting more involved again - I haven't gotten a chance to play through them yet, but the new Silver Case scenarios would seem to be a promising first step, since they're the first things he's actually written for games in forever.

Greddleok

Ahhhh

I'm stuck doing side quests and terrified to progress with the story because I don't want the miss any of them. Some of them are frustratingly boring (racing...seriously...racing) but I don't want to skip out of any!

Someone please comfort me and tell me I won't be locked out.

Leezard

Ahhhh

I'm stuck doing side quests and terrified to progress with the story because I don't want the miss any of them. Some of them are frustratingly boring (racing...seriously...racing) but I don't want to skip out of any!

Someone please comfort me and tell me I won't be locked out.

You won't be locked out. You will later get chapter select so you can go back and complete any sidequest you missed.

I was really impressed by how comprehensive and well-planned the various milestones for the
chapter select
were.

For something that most people
(at least the ones who deleted their saves lol)
would only take advantage of once
for Ending D
, it was really quite meticulously designed.

Top Bottom