• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Not

Banned
I got stuck trying to enter that Hebra mountain shrine too, I figured it was a tiny entrance or something on the north side, just as some of you guys did. Eventually I gave up and kept exploring the area, and it was when I met the shield surfing champion woman that figured it out. She deliberately mentions the large stone door when describing the shield surfing course. Really wish the shrine itself didn't get picked up by the sensor when it's so far from the actual puzzle to access it though.

Yup wasted 3 hours on this just looking around the damn cliff wall until finally GameFAQsing it

It'll show up on your map after you beat the final boss.

Oh shit! Didn't notice. Thanks!

EDIT: 34.82% lol. Seriously? What is it counting?

Hugstable

Banned
Yup wasted 3 hours on this just looking around the damn cliff wall until finally GameFAQsing it

I think I read that Korok Seeds account for like 70+ of the percentage.

They probably should have actually weighed it out better lol

Anteo

I think I read that Korok Seeds account for like 70+ of the percentage.

They probably should have actually weighed it out better lol

Nah its fine because thats not game completion, its just % of map markers discovered, includes names of landmarks and excludes quests.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Thought I'd post some questions here as someone who hasn't owned a nintendo system since n64. Does anyone know if nintendo is playing on making windwaker hd and twilight princess hd and even link to the past games available on the eshop? Also is nintendo planing on making anymore zelda game amibos? I sort of lucked out when a friend of mine bought me the toon link amibo years ago and now i see it on amazon going for 99 bucks.

watershed

Banned
I'm on my second playthrough now and this time I decided to approach Goron City from the road that leads to the city instead of flying in from a peak like I did the first time. It turns out that approaching the city from the main road makes quite a difference. This time I get all the npc dialogue in the intended order and the humor of this whole section comes through. It's still not as good as the whole Zora sequence, but it's not as bland as I thought it was the first time. The whole Goron sequence feels like walking into a Saturday morning cartoon.

Pachimari

Seriously, what am I supposed to do with all of my stuff. I don't wanna rack up a ton of items I got no use for in my inventory. I also just got another slot for my weapons:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vFlRBba.jpg[/img]

You're still early in the game. Everything have some purpose, at some point. Tip: Don't sell ancient tech parts/monster parts/gems to get rupees early in the game.
I'll make sure not to sell ancient tech parts or gems. Unfortunately I mixed some monster wing for an elixir.

Early in the game, I'd say the fastest way to get rupees probably is to mine ore or by beating some Taluses (which basically is the same thing) with an Iron Sledgehammer. Then sell some of the amber, but keep 20-30 of them.
I don't think I've even come across ore or taluses?

Damn, this game is HUGE. Wow.

Questions: (some spoilers maybe)

I've got done the first dungeon (Elephant dungeon). I'm now just running around the world, doing shrines and taking some towers. Am I supposed to roam around the world until I run across someone that will take me to their city? Just like Sidon did? Because that was cool, just running across him, more or less randomly. I really want to find some other cities, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. I also want to start getting more gear and rubies.

It's just a little confusing since the main quests I have now are: destroy ganon, get the four beasts at your side, and the memories. I'm guessing maybe I should prioritise the memories? I

There's just so much to do and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I've had the same feeling you're having early on, at times the game felt TOO big for me, but you'll get the hang of it quickly I think. Just don't stress on what you should be doing, and do whatever you feel doing like instead. I would recommend focusing on more shrines and towers before divine beasts, as getting their powers early can make the game too easy too quickly.

I keep reading that following the paths/roads that are laid out on the map between locations will lead you to all kinds of interactions and is in a way how the developers set out the game to be experienced. So you can follow the paths whenever you feel lost or without direction. I couldn't bring myself to do that on my first playthrough; the ability to climb anywhere and get to every hill and mountain top I saw was too tempting. I ended up getting to some areas much earlier than "intended" and vice versa, evidenced by the relative strength of enemeis and weapons there. Finding myself in more challenging areas early on was fun, but then visiting early game places much later was underwhelming because I was overpowered and all the rewards in chests there were useless junk to me by that point. So as non-linear and free-form as the game is, there is some merit to following a path of gradually-escalating challenges as the designers loosely intended. Also many of the conversations make more sense or come out more naturally in a specific order.

Anyone knows how I can get a ton of arrows? I have none at the moment and I usually only get around 60 max. I was hoping to get hundreds stocked up.

I don't know how do many of you keep running out of arrows. I don't think I've ever went under a 100, and now I have closer to 300. And I use them a lot. One to tip that helped me early on was to always buy ALL the arrows in stock at every merchant/store you come across, since the game takes a long ass time to restock those, so you want to start depleting their socks early so that by the time you might need more they will have restocked.

You could try visiting earlier stables and towns you've been to and see if they have arrows in stock.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Seriously, what am I supposed to do with all of my stuff. I don't wanna rack up a ton of items I got no use for in my inventory. I also just got another slot for my weapons:
Keep your stuff, you will come across something to use them for and at that time you might wish you had more junk.

I 100%ed all Shrines in March and now almost 100%ed all sidequests.

Theres only one left...the Rushroom one. I still need like 20 more. This is just a drag ugh. Fairly common item, but not common enough. Coming right after the insane amount of weapons showoff sidequest I'm really dragging myself to finish these.

Nonetheless now played 135+ hours. Still in love with the game even if its gotten hella repetitive by now. Should try another speed run after this. I manged an all dungeon speedrun at 5:42. Did't feel like I could do a just Ganon speedrun tho.

I hope DLC 1 is soon. I think I'll try hard mode and do most shrines but not the dungeons and try final boss like that.

jariw

I'll make sure not to sell ancient tech parts or gems. Unfortunately I mixed some monster wing for an elixir.

Using monster parts for elixirs is one of the intended uses of monster parts, so that's good and it doesn't require that many monster parts.

But to sell 100 monster parts just to get 300 rupees or something aren't friendly towards the resource management. There are later places in the game where you might those huge number of monster parts.

There's actually a Talus
already on the plateau
. Ore looks like big black (or shining or glowing) stone things placed on the mountain sides. Anyhow, if you walk in the mountains in regions with bare rock, you'll encounter it.

dLMN8R

Damn, this game is HUGE. Wow.

Questions: (some spoilers maybe)

I've got done the first dungeon (Elephant dungeon). I'm now just running around the world, doing shrines and taking some towers. Am I supposed to roam around the world until I run across someone that will take me to their city? Just like Sidon did? Because that was cool, just running across him, more or less randomly. I really want to find some other cities, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. I also want to start getting more gear and rubies.

It's just a little confusing since the main quests I have now are: destroy ganon, get the four beasts at your side, and the memories. I'm guessing maybe I should prioritise the memories? I

There's just so much to do and I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

The Zora area is really the only part of the game that's more guided like that. I think Nintendo intends it to be a tutorial of sorts to get you comfortable with approaching and then taking on divine beasts, and after that you're almost entirely on your own.

dLMN8R

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vFlRBba.jpg[/img]

Just keep the stuff. You'll want to have it later.

While your weapon / bow / shield inventory is limited, your item inventory is completely unlimited. There's literally never a reason not to pick up any random items or flowers or whatever else you come across.

If you want to go after the remaining divine beasts just head to the remaining quest markers that Impa put on your map. The Zora divine beast is the best in terms of scripting and creating a sequence of gameplay leading up to the beast itself. The others feel far less scripted but also kind of just there. If you go to those towns, you will figure out what to do next.

The memories are a great hunt that help familiarize you with the geography of the world.

I've had the same feeling you're having early on, at times the game felt TOO big for me, but you'll get the hang of it quickly I think. Just don't stress on what you should be doing, and do whatever you feel doing like instead. I would recommend focusing on more shrines and towers before divine beasts, as getting their powers early can make the game too easy too quickly.

I keep reading that following the paths/roads that are laid out on the map between locations will lead you to all kinds of interactions and is in a way how the developers set out the game to be experienced. So you can follow the paths whenever you feel lost or without direction. I couldn't bring myself to do that on my first playthrough; the ability to climb anywhere and get to every hill and mountain top I saw was too tempting. I ended up getting to some areas much earlier than "intended" and vice versa, evidenced by the relative strength of enemeis and weapons there. Finding myself in more challenging areas early on was fun, but then visiting early game places much later was underwhelming because I was overpowered and all the rewards in chests there were useless junk to me by that point. So as non-linear and free-form as the game is, there is some merit to following a path of gradually-escalating challenges as the designers loosely intended. Also many of the conversations make more sense or come out more naturally in a specific order.

I don't know how do many of you keep running out of arrows. I don't think I've ever went under a 100, and now I have closer to 300. And I use them a lot. One to tip that helped me early on was to always buy ALL the arrows in stock at every merchant/store you come across, since the game takes a long ass time to restock those, so you want to start depleting their socks early so that by the time you might need more they will have restocked.

You could try visiting earlier stables and towns you've been to and see if they have arrows in stock.

The Zora area is really the only part of the game that's more guided like that. I think Nintendo intends it to be a tutorial of sorts to get you comfortable with approaching and then taking on divine beasts, and after that you're almost entirely on your own.

Thanks for the guidance, guys! It's definitely a bit intimidating, but I'm really enjoying this game and its scale.

WolfeTone

Picked this up again for a few hours over the weekend. I decided I would try to gather some materials for armor upgrades and had so much fun just exploring areas I hadn't touched before, finding Korok puzzles.

I can't wait to play through the whole thing again, but I'm going to wait until both sets of DLC are out. I may also upgrade to the Switch version at that point.

dLMN8R

Thanks for the guidance, guys! It's definitely a bit intimidating, but I'm really enjoying this game and its scale.

My one tip after playing the game for 100+ hours: Don't immediately go for all of the towers.

The towers segment the map into fairly logically-oriented regions that can be explored in a somewhat self-contained way. If you focus on exploring each region as much as you can before moving onto the next tower and the next region, it'll be a little less intimidating to explore the world.

WolfeTone

My one tip after playing the game for 100+ hours: Don't immediately go for all of the towers.

The towers segment the map into fairly logically-oriented regions that can be explored in a somewhat self-contained way. If you focus on exploring each region as much as you can before moving onto the next tower and the next region, it'll be a little less intimidating to explore the world.

That's a not a bad idea. A region by region approach to the game might help players get to know the areas a lot more. There's still tons in the world I haven't seen despite spending 125 hours playing.

Not

Banned
That's a not a bad idea. A region by region approach to the game might help players get to know the areas a lot more. There's still tons in the world I haven't seen despite spending 125 hours playing.

That's what I did. Tower first, then explored the whole region. Recommended.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey everyone. A few questions! I know the Switch version of the game received some updates to improve frame-rate. Did the Wii U version receive these as well? Or is the frame situation still pretty damn poor?

For transparency, I owned a Switch and Zelda and beat the game, but I've since sold my switch and now I'm missing Zelda. Game just won't get out of my head... but aside from the resolution differences, I don't want to experience the game with a noticeably worse frame-rate, so there's my hesitation.

Thank you.

WolfeTone

Hey everyone. A few questions! I know the Switch version of the game received some updates to improve frame-rate. Did the Wii U version receive these as well? Or is the frame situation still pretty damn poor?

For transparency, I owned a Switch and Zelda and beat the game, but I've since sold my switch and now I'm missing Zelda. Game just won't get out of my head... but aside from the resolution differences, I don't want to experience the game with a noticeably worse frame-rate, so there's my hesitation.

Thank you.

Wii U version had framerate updates too. It happened a week or so after release. There was a noticeable improvement.

I've not played the Switch version, but the game plays fine on the Wii U outside of some slowdown in fights with many enemies or lots of weather effects/explosions etc.

Do we know if the new Hard difficulty in the DLC will be selectable without a prior completed game save file? Just bought a Switch and am eager to play Zelda, but figure I might as well wait for the DLC to come out first.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Wii U version had framerate updates too. It happened a week or so after release. There was a noticeable improvement.

I've not played the Switch version, but the game plays fine on the Wii U outside of some slowdown in fights with many enemies or lots of weather effects/explosions etc.
Awesome, thank you. Such a masterful game, 160 hours in and I'm still daydreaming about it

Pachimari

Just keep the stuff. You'll want to have it later.

While your weapon / bow / shield inventory is limited, your item inventory is completely unlimited. There's literally never a reason not to pick up any random items or flowers or whatever else you come across.
Whoa, I'm very surprised at this. I thought it would be limited somewhat, which recently made me cook as much as possible to free up space. That is really nice to know!

dLMN8R

Whoa, I'm very surprised at this. I thought it would be limited somewhat, which recently made me cook as much as possible to free up space. That is really nice to know!

There's actually one minor nuance, but it never affects me in practice - you're limited to three pages of cooked stuff, so if you cook enough things you might eventually reach a point where the game doesn't let you cook anything more until you free up that space.

But for the raw ingredient / item inventory there's no limit at all.

WolfeTone

Yes it's a minor thing, but it really improves the game. No limit on inventory space and very limited inventory management. Collect everything to your hearts content. (Except weapons, shields and bows.)

This is how I played the game. Basically left the platue to the east and explored each region as I found its tower. I didn't let myself move ointo another region boundary without fully exploring the previous one. I did the Zora Beast first and worked counter clockwise, by the time I finished exploring the south of the map (and thus everything revealed) I'd hit 117 shrines. Two of those remaining where in places I'd yet to go so I'd only missed 1 actual shrine on my journey around the world.

N° 2048

Wow just started the game and will play like this.
Great tip.

WolfeTone

Been listening to the soundtrack at work today, it's nice and relaxing, though I was initially a bit underwhelmed by it in-game.

What are your favourite tracks?

I really liked the Rito Village Day Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlg43w1aK8M
Not just for the obvious callback to Wind Waker, the opening of this piece is so calming and the song really fits the location.

Another great one is the Hateno Village Day Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlE7tCzUSs

The Flight Range theme is also great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6cSrNAkdM
Despite barely being played in the game this was fairly memorable to me.

Easy_G

It isn't a game complete percentage. It's a map complete percentage. So things like region names, stables, and korok locations are what count towards it. Side quests, shrines, hyrule compendium, and items/armor DO NOT count toward that percentage.

As others have said, it's mostly a korok percentage.

Not

Banned
It isn't a game complete percentage. It's a map complete percentage. So things like region names, stables, and korok locations are what count towards it. Side quests, shrines, hyrule compendium, and items/armor DO NOT count toward that percentage.

As others have said, it's mostly a korok percentage.

Ah, I see. I guess that Korok mask can't come soon enough for the mega-completionists.

TheBear

Beat all the beasts and now about to tackle the castle. Is it worth selling my mats so I can pay the 10k for the final fairy fountain?

Also what level/type armour should I have going in?

WolfeTone

Beat all the beasts and now about to tackle the castle. Is it worth selling my mats so I can pay the 10k for the final fairy fountain?

Also what level/type armour should I have going in?

Honestly you're probably fine without level 4 armour. The castle and the final boss aren't too difficult really. Just wear any relatively strong armour. Or the ancient armour set if you're bad at fighting guardians.

Awesome, thank you. Such a masterful game, 160 hours in and I'm still daydreaming about it

Later updates made Switch version run a lot smoother than Wii U: https://youtu.be/w6NkNgI1ssw

DirtyLarry

Just popping in to say it has now been 2 weeks with my Switch, which means about 10 days with this game as I purposely held off checking it out to play some other games first. I have not touched any game since. Not a one. I own every console, a gaming PC, and I cannot put this damn game down.
Perhaps even more interesting, I have not played it on my TV once.
I think it is safe to say this is perhaps the best game ever made and I have been gaming for quite some time.
The truly interesting aspect of me proclaiming this is I feel like I have not accomplished a single damn thing. I actually still feel pretty lost as well. I just activated
the camera function on the slate
and I feel like I found out I was supposed to do that at least 20 hours ago. I just kept getting sidetracked.
The most interesting thing about me loving this game is historically I have despised games that seem to have no end in site. They truly are just not my cup of tea. Yet somehow I am mesmerized with this game.
Just so damn brilliant.

I will probably pop in this thread every couple of weeks to make a similar proclamation. Just a perfect game. Damn, I just realized I have a divine beast to fight actually. The last time I posted in this thread was about it, and I completely forgot until now thinking about the last time I posted in the thread.

What a game.

I'm just about done finishing up upgrading all of my amiibo armor and the jewelry stuff. Out of curiosity, do we happen to know what the upgrades for some of the upcoming amiibo armor will need?
Mainly the Fierce Deity stuff. Like what kind of gem/item will it need?

And also, I don't have the OOT Link amiibo, but what gemstone does that need for upgrades?

jnWake

I'm just about done finishing up upgrading all of my amiibo armor and the jewelry stuff. Out of curiosity, do we happen to know what the upgrades for some of the upcoming amiibo armor will need?
Mainly the Fierce Deity stuff. Like what kind of gem/item will it need?

And also, I don't have the OOT Link amiibo, but what gemstone does that need for upgrades?

According to a guide out there, you'll need dragon parts (claw, fang, tooth, scale) and Hinox/Lynel spoils for Fierce Deity. So, good hunting haha

jariw

There's actually one minor nuance, but it never affects me in practice - you're limited to three pages of cooked stuff, so if you cook enough things you might eventually reach a point where the game doesn't let you cook anything more until you free up that space.

But for the raw ingredient / item inventory there's no limit at all.

One addition: simple things thrown on an open fire, like baked apples, grilled meat, etc stack on the cooked pages.

Been listening to the soundtrack at work today, it's nice and relaxing, though I was initially a bit underwhelmed by it in-game.

What are your favourite tracks?

I really liked the Rito Village Day Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlg43w1aK8M
Not just for the obvious callback to Wind Waker, the opening of this piece is so calming and the song really fits the location.

Another great one is the Hateno Village Day Theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHlE7tCzUSs

The Flight Range theme is also great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW6cSrNAkdM
Despite barely being played in the game this was fairly memorable to me.

For me, right now at least, the best music while playing the game has probably been the various music connected to Hyrule Castle, Tarrey Town and Gerudo Town. I also remember one particular occasion when I was up in the Central Hyrule Map Tower during a clear night, and I thought the night music there was just "beyond perfect" for that moment.

Chinbo37

That's what I'm doing. I hit the tower then fully explore the region.

Still 4? Regions left I think. It really helps to find shrines and seeds.

I started on launch day and just beat Ganon yesterday.
I'm stunned and completely in awe of the journey I've just been on and the artistic achievement I've been witness too.
Masterpiece.

I played pretty comprehensively across 240 hours and I'm just now jumping into online information (I've been on a blackout since this game was at E3 last year) to see what I've missed.

I have completed/collected:
- All Main Quests, Shrine Quests + Side Quests
- All Memories
- All Shrines
- All Compendium Entries
- All Medal of Honour's
- All Armour, Equipment + Horse Gear
- All Armour + Equipment is fully upgraded
- Storage is fully upgraded

- I finished with 480-ish Korok Seeds and my map completion is 60-something%

On top of all the above I also did fun stuff like: played every mini-game repeatedly, befriended all dogs, have all Champion and Ancient gear in my inventory, took selfies with bosses, etc.

Except for finding all Korok Seeds and getting 100% map completion (both of which I'll save for the DLC) does anybody know anything I've missed?
I'm actually sad at the thought of putting the game down, it's consumed most of my free time for three months now. Seems weird to have to stop playing :lol

piggychan

Accidentally played 5 hours of this yesterday... when I was supposed to be doing some final stuff for wedding planning. Oops.

Haha, I'm in the exact same situation! I wonder how much time I've spent on Zelda vs wedding planning...

DBKeT9vUIAAf-hR.jpg:large

Top Bottom