• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was Divinity: Original Sin 2 snubbed at The Gaming Awards?

Senua

Divinity OS 2 is one of the highest rated games of the year and my personal favourite. Every person I know how has played it says its either their favourite or top 3 favourite games of the year and yet it was completely absent from the gaming awards.

In fact it wasn't even nominated for GOTY! It also didn't win any single category in the awards. It also won nothing at The Golden Joystick Awards but I understand that is just a popularity contest.

Why do you think this is? CRPG being a relatively niche genre nowadays or due to it's PC exclusivity, as we all know most gaming journalists are console gamers first and foremost these days.

untitled-2ogutx.jpg

Sepultura

1) PC exclusive, most people in jury wouldn’t have played it
2) Lack of marketting
3) Being a hardcore cRPG doesn’t help either

One of the best games of this generation.

FN-2187

I think you answered it. Genre and PC only.

It'd be like the Oscars giving an award to a hard sci-fi movie or the Grammy's giving album of the year to a heavy metal album.

Major awards almost always go to things with the broadest appeal.

Because this medium's critics are a bunch of paid bloggers with no actual curriculum taken (because none is available) about game criticism.

I have no dog in this race, and I don't think that this medium's critics are useless. I think that their word for a multitude of reasons shouldn't be taken more seriously than any other online blog.

BANGS

Banned
Because it's not flavor of the month casual trash like every game that ever gets recognition in such things...

Dunki

you should thank the so called journalists for this which seem not be able to play a more complex game. So yes This should have easily won RPG of the year.

Pepboy

I think some of it is survivorship bias. I played the first one and found it pretty mediocre. So I never played 2. I feel like most people didn't finish 1 and would be in a similar boat. So 2 is probably mostly enjoyed by those who enjoyed 1.

But frankly I'm not even sure what 2 does differently than 1. Unless you really mix things up, I think a direct sequel will have a hard time.

Rathorial

Mostly likely was a game not many panelists played, and is a fairly systems heavy game that isn't super approachable. Persona 5 may also be a niche thing, but it's a long time series press will circulate articles around making it a kind of darling, and it has a huge degree of style to sell itself.

Guarantee if more AAA RPGs hit this year, regardless of their quality would unfortunately probably kick a game like Divinity 2 off the list.

Awards shows are largely to pat on the back approachable games that sell well, and indie choices are usually pretty looking narrative driven low on mechanics nominations.

Alebelly

I think some of it is survivorship bias. I played the first one and found it pretty mediocre. So I never played 2. I feel like most people didn't finish 1 and would be in a similar boat. So 2 is probably mostly enjoyed by those who enjoyed 1.

But frankly I'm not even sure what 2 does differently than 1. Unless you really mix things up, I think a direct sequel will have a hard time.

An incredibly lame argument, but why not

This is like asking why the MTV Movie Awards snubbed Room last year.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll get the recognition it deserves at other award ceremonies like DICE.

No console ports or widespread promotion no awards.

Probably, if it was released on PS4, Persona 5 won't have beaten it as RPG, cause I doubt someone will argue that RPG elements in Divinity 2 just on the next level, as well as combat system.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I haven’t played it, but it’s quality seems to be undeniable. Probably a bit of bias for more mainstream games, I’d imagine. Somewhat akin to smaller, if excellent movies being snubbed at he Oscars.

Not making excuses for the exclusion whatsoever... just grasping for reasons here.

Valdega

Why do you think this is? CRPG being a relatively niche genre nowadays or due to it's PC exclusivity, as we all know most gaming journalists are console gamers first and foremost these days.

The latter, no doubt. The fact that neither Total Warhammer 2 or XCOM: War of the Chosen won strategy game of the year only cements the fact that games journalists are not PC gamers. Hell, the fact that Halo Wars 2 was even nominated instead of Civ 6 speaks volumes.

The only reason why PUBG won multiplayer game of the year is because it's sold over 23 million copies and The Game Awards would lose all credibility if they gave the award to any other game. Given the delayed announcement of that award, there's a good chance that journalists actually voted for a console game (probably Destiny 2) and then TGA changed the results at the last second.

Not in this case. If these awards were based on mainstream appeal, then either South Park or FF15 would have won because they are easily the biggest names. Persona 5 is a niche game that only won because games journalists love that series. Games journalists also love Nintendo games, which is why they won so many awards.

Newk86

Just played another eight hour coop session of the first game again last night. I highly suspect this would be my game of the year if had ever got around to playing it in time. Looks like more of the same good stuff and I have faith in the developer.

My only questions still are overall campaign length compared to the first game, if we can expect DLC in the future, and how long until we see a console port (fingers crossed it happens).

Senua

Just played another eight hour coop session of the first game again last night. I highly suspect this would be my game of the year if had ever got around to playing it in time. Looks like more of the same good stuff and I have faith in the developer.

My only questions still are overall campaign length compared to the first game, if we can expect DLC in the future, and how long until we see a console port (fingers crossed it happens).

All I can say is, the second game is better than the first in every single way.

You can barelly be a proper, actual, PC game these days anymore. Witcher devs were talking in an interview how hard it is to even get shelf space in stores - oh, thats some PC game, put it in the back and lets display some console AAA instead. Gaming websites wont write pieces about your game if its not on consoles, with exceptions of course.

Watched a eurogamer video interview with the devs of that roguelike shooter, Strafe. It was only for pc at the time. The developers were trying to talk about their pc game, and the fucking journo just wouldt shut the fuck up about "is it coming to consoles?" "does it work with a controller" "why isnt it coming to consoles" "doom proved fast shooters work on consoles" and so on. I just wanted to reach through the monitor and punch that guy.

Anno 1800 was announced and comments here were why do the devs "insist" on not doing the game for consoles. Starcraft remastered was announced and first page comments why isnt it coming to consoles.

Senua

You can barelly be a proper, actual, PC game these days anymore. Witcher devs were talking in an interview how hard it is to even get shelf space in stores - oh, thats some PC game, put it in the back and lets display some console AAA instead. Gaming websites wont write pieces about your game if its not on consoles, with exceptions of course.

Watched a eurogamer video interview with the devs of that roguelike shooter, Strafe. It was only for pc at the time. The developers were trying to talk about their pc game, and the fucking journo just wouldt shut the fuck up about "is it coming to consoles?" "does it work with a controller" "why isnt it coming to consoles" "doom proved fast shooters work on consoles" and so on. I just wanted to reach through the monitor and punch that guy.

Anno 1800 was announced and comments here were why do the devs "insist" on not doing the game for consoles. Starcraft remastered was announced and first page comments why isnt it coming to consoles.
Lol do you have a link to that video at all?

When PUBG first blew up I remember so many game journo covering it from the big sites saying they wish it was on consoles as they can't play properly with a mouse and keyboard. How on earth did it go from mouse being the objectively superior peripheral for aiming to now most gaming journos preferring pushing a super inaccurate thumbstick around to aim that needs assistance to even hit the thing you want to aim at.

Fuz

Banned

Eurogamer is mostly crap and that guy shouldn't be a journalist, though.

Fbh

PC exclusive and has a more niche appeal.

Haven't played 2. I played and enjoyed 1 though and if the sequel is anything like it I can see it only appealing to a specific type of person.

Something like Zelda or Mario on the other hand are also great and have, IMO, more universal appeal

down 2 orth

All I can say is, the second game is better than the first in every single way.

The first is really starting to grow on me, but it took about ten hours of playing, and I was really close to deleting it at one point. They shouldn't have focused on Cyseal so much at the beginning in my opinion, and the dialogue and voice acting can get pretty rough. Glad I'm finally getting those Baldur's Gate vibes though :)

I_dont_care

Neo Member
It’s Big mainstream television awards show. Divinity will get plenty of recognition in the industry, not sure why you think it would be included in something like the game awards

Gamegeneral

I think Marketing plays a big role in these things. If it's not huge enough to become a breakout success and get everyone talking about it, it might as well not exist without a big marketing budget.

Shame though, this game is better than Baldur's Gate IMO

durran3

Neo Member
Divinity 2 is better in every way imaginable - The writing is brilliant, the voice acting is excellent, the music is phenomenal, the art style is excellent.

The sheer depth and complexity of Divinity 2 is truly awe inspiring.

Some criticisms can be made for the third half of the game (I personally loved it) and loved the final fight where I survived with barely any skin on my bones left. So intense!!

The last bit also has a great hilarious twist especially for those who played the first Original Sin

I think you answered it. Genre and PC only.

It'd be like the Oscars giving an award to a hard sci-fi movie or the Grammy's giving album of the year to a heavy metal album.

No, more like that one super art-house indie darling that just isn't "Oscar bait-y" enough. (i. e. The Sweet Hereafter in 1998)

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
I’ll be honest I forgot how no one really covered Age of Decadence. It has no hand holding what so ever. I can see how no one gave it exposure.

Dunki

The sheer depth and complexity of Divinity 2 is truly awe inspiring.

And this is the biggest reson why it did not get the awards it clearly deserves. Giving who is reviewing and games I can see how it is way too compley for the average journalistic reviewer.

Hell Polygon also wrote some terrible article how this game is so bad in not giving you good decisions that makes you feel better etc.

Not Drake

I doubt PC exclusivity plays a role here. PUBG was nominated before the game hit Early Access on XB1. Original Sin 2 will eventually get released on Ps4 and Xbox and I doubt it will get the coverage it deserves. Niche genres and all that.

The other thing is, 2017 was fucking fantastic year for games releases and it's hard to get all the great titles in the "TOP 5/GOTY nominees". I'm sure OS2 will end up getting GOTY awards at various outlets, because the game is pure quality.

I bought this game and still aint even installed it yet. I havent even beaten the first original sin yet.

but on the flip side, I have started playing the witcher 3 for the first time, two days ago. so i got that going for me at least.

Dunki

I bought this game and still aint even installed it yet. I havent even beaten the first original sin yet.

but on the flip side, I have started playing the witcher 3 for the first time, two days ago. so i got that going for me at least.

Damn I must say that you are still so lucky to experience these great games for the first time. Even though it is not even that important to play divinity original Sin 1 before 2 it is still a good game while Divinity 2 really makes everything that was good about the first game so much better^^

everyer

It’s a small team now, so they can’t release both console and pc version in the same day.

But it’s growing.

I’m pretty sure when D:OS 3 , they will teach the noob medias what deserve a GOTY.

For the noob game medias, Stop Focus on rubbish unfinished garbage game OK?

Top Bottom