• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

untitle41d-3fskc3.png
Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: ”If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it's the word ‘power' and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process." In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The seventh season premieres Sunday, July 16th at 9PM on HBO. Season 7, which will consist of 7 episodes, will be followed by a 6 episode final season to conclude the series. HBO is also working on a variety of spinoff ideas, but those will not enter production until after GoT finishes.

HBO's Press Release:
HBO said:
Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne continues.

It stretches from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues, to the vast and savage eastern lands, where a young queen raises an army. All the while, in the frozen north, an 800-foot wall of ice precariously protects the war-ravaged kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men...all play the 'Game of Thrones.'

An original series based on George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.

castcrew61qu3.png

Main cast:
(Note that this cast list is from Wikipedia, so there may be inaccuracies. HBO neglected to release an official one)
0c8Jlyj.png
1PaqoOH.png
pwZEqmJ.png
i28NuLi.jpg
OFPuGY2.png
9uP4YS4.png

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Aidan Gillen as Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish

hPnEjtU.png
dTM9nbW.png
vfCRrWD.png
ZqUs4Td.png
W2G3c3R.png
OITb8Yj.jpg

Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, Indira Varma as Ellaria Sand, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei, Rory McCann as Sandor "The Hound" Clegane

l2NNsGD.png
QeaBDXk.png
bySE46C.png
ZOEr3sH.png
It7497C.png
BcsLYB1.png

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark, Conleth Hill as Varys, Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy, John Bradley as Samwell Tarly, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Kristofer Hivju as Tormund Giantsbane,

AFwziEL.png
Jav1J3M.png
4bCsg0H.png
uJWThqM.jpg

Isaac Hempstead Wright as Bran Stark, Jerome Flynn as Bronn, Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont, Hannah Murray as Gilly

Guest cast:
Jacob Anderson as Grey Worm, Pilou Asbæk as Euron Greyjoy, Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson as Gregor Clegane, Jim Broadbent as Archmaester Marwyn, Ben Crompton as Eddison Tollett, Richard Dormer as Beric Dondarrion

Vladimir Furdik as the Night King, Mark Gatiss as Tycho Nestoris, Josephine Gillan as Marei, Jessica Henwick as Nymeria Sand, Tom Hopper as Dickon Tarly, Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr

Ellie Kendrick as Meera Reed, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as Tyene Sand, Anton Lesser as Qyburn, Tim McInnerny as Robett Glover, Megan Parkinson as Alys Karstark, Daniel Portman as Podrick Payne

Bella Ramsey as Lyanna Mormont, Diana Rigg as Olenna Tyrell, Richard Rycroft as Maester Wolkan, Rupert Vansittart as Yohn Royce, Gemma Whelan as Yara Greyjoy, Ty Franck as Drizz Lannister

schedule0pqnn.png
Game of Thrones returns for its seventh season on July 16th, 2017. The season will consist of 7 episodes and they will air each Sunday at 9PM.

Episodes
701: Dragonstone (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa, 59 min runtime)
702: Stormborn (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Mark Mylod, 59 min runtime)
703: The Queen's Justice (Written by David Benioff & D. B. Weiss, Directed by Mark Mylod, 63 min runtime)
704: TBA (Written by TBA, Directed by Matt Shakman, 50 min runtime)
705: TBA (Written by TBA, Directed by Matt Shakman, 59 min runtime)
706: TBA (Written TBA, Directed by Alan Taylor, 71 min runtime)
707: TBA (Written TBA, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa, 81 min runtime)​

videosj5onk.png

resources9epmk.png

Brief FAQ:
1. Why are there only 7 episodes this season and 6 episodes for the final season?

The scope and scale of the show has increased significantly from where things began, and they don't have the time, money, and other resources to produce more episodes in a year. After Season 6, Benioff and Weiss felt that 13 episodes would be enough to conclude the story, and crafting 7 one year and 6 the next fit the production timeline that they could achieve. Keep in mind that the episodes in season 7 are going to be longer than average, and the 7th episode of will be 81 minutes long.

2. What's going on with the spinoffs on HBO?

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in the very early stages of development. They're currently fleshing out ideas and beginning to work on pilot scripts. They won't make all five of them - it's likely that only one or two will see the air, and HBO is going to finish GoT well before any of these premiere. There's a lot more information in this thread.

3. Why do we still have two threads for the tv show when the show material is past what has happened in the books?

The two communities (non-book readers and book readers) have developed separately and served different purposes over the years. The book readers thread involves A LOT of book discussion, and the two communities don't play well together, generally speaking. For this reason, we've decided to continue to keep the two of them separate as the show finishes up over the next couple of years.​

onspoilersoopar.png
There are no rules!

Kidding of course, there are a couple rules. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page. Also, please spoiler-tag any TV adaption news for upcoming episodes - i.e. follow regular tv thread protocol and spoiler tag promo material, etc... Although everyone here has read the books, not everyone wants the show spoiled.

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

summaryt6oyd.png
  • The season starts on July 16th at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 7 episodes.
  • Season 8 will consist of 6 episodes and conclude the series in 2018 and/or 2019.
  • Any leak discussion is bannable.
  • Special thanks to TheOddOne for working on the banners and to Steelyuhas for years of making quality OTs for the series

Aiii

So not worth it
It's here! Very excited after that great season 6 to see what's next.

Lord knows it's the only closure to this tale we're getting, so D&D better make it gud.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hell yeah I'm ready for GoT in my life again

Also kind of funny that we still have the 2 separate threads, since at this point it's the show that's spoiling the books :p

jett

D-Member
Hell yeah I'm ready for GoT in my life again

Also kind of funny that we still have the 2 separate threads, since at this point it's the show that's spoiling the books :p

Honestly I don't understand the point of having two threads anymore. Not sure where will I post! I guess it doesn't matter.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
season six was pretty bad and based on what i've seen of season 7 it doesn't seem to be getting much better, but to borrow a phrase from a wise man, in for tits and dragons.

Speevy

Banned
Honestly I don't understand the point of having two threads anymore. Not sure where will I post! I guess it doesn't matter.

There's always at least one thing from the books that they will repurpose for a show plot, like they did with the Riverlands storyline last year.

Media

And subbed. Do we really need two threads now? Not much more book to be had, after all. Still, it's tradition at this point hehe.

jett

D-Member
I guess like Cornballer's OP said it's more about two sub-communities that have developed independently.

There's always at least one thing from the books that they will repurpose for a show plot, like they did with the Riverlands storyline last year.

Honestly I thought about it but I couldn't see what's left in the books to reuse.

Speevy

Banned
season six was pretty bad and based on what i've seen of season 7 it doesn't seem to be getting much better, but to borrow a phrase from a wise man, in for tits and dragons.

Season 6 was a huge improvement over season 5, and those last 2 episodes were fun.

Hoping for more fun stuff.

NeoGiff

vpezIhk.gif

My friends, the hour has come. Madness has overtaken this city and grasped in its claws my children. But now we must drive it back under the rocks whence it came. Madness has had its day!

a62jh1n.gif

Media

I guess like Cornballer's OP said it's more about two sub-communities that have developed independently.

Honestly I thought about it but I couldn't see what's left in the books to reuse.

I totally missed that part of the op. Shame on me. I agree, like I said, it's tradition at this point.

Here's a wonderful picture of Gilly.

latest

Please use it.
Done.
There's usually a lot of book discussion in this version that's irrelevant for non-book readers, plus we'd like to avoid the usual infighting and derailing that results from blending the two.

Speevy

Banned
Thank you for using my Gilly picture. Now the beautiful Hannah Murray doesn't look like she's been blown up in a nuclear explosion.

I was rewatching some of season 4 on HBO the other day and Season 4 is so good- the stuff at the Wall, Tyrion's trial, the Mountain and the Viper, Stannis coming to save the day with his cavalry charge- it's all real good. And it seemingly leaves everything in an awesome spot for an awesome season 5.

Which makes trying to watch Season 5 so horrible. Season 5 is just such hot garbage by and large outside of Hardhome. It's largely boring and the quality of the writing and plotting is just really bad. And of course that's the season that won all kinds of awards?

Season 6 is good in the sense that stuff just happens and you have so much spectacle and production value in everything. But my one qualm with the show is how they just seem to fast forwarding everything now to wrap this up in 13 episodes or whatever they shooting for. Clearly, without the books as a detailed roadmap, the showrunners just have some bullet point list of things from GRRM and they lack the chops to really glue all those plot points together like you had in Seasons 1-4. I just have a hard time thinking that the last 2 books which will likely be enormous tomes, don't have enough material to merit more than 14 episodes. There likely is, its just that the showrunners want out now that the blueprint of the books has dried up.

It's mostly all spectacle at this point, which is fine- it makes for entertaining TV. I'll just be disappointed when GRRM finally finishes the series (lol) and we'll likely never get an adaptation of all the wildly different and more fleshed out events from his last 2 books.

Galang

Banned
Season 6 was amazing! Hoping Arya gets some good kills this season... and I pray this season isn't overly dany-centric. Hopefully Cersei and Jamie finally get snuffed out too

Speevy

Banned
Last year, they killed off every character we had either forgotten about or who needed to be usurped.

This year, they kill off everyone who is not needed in the great battle against the whitewalkers that is sure to happen in season 8.

My predictions:

-Theon
-Yara
-Euron
-Olenna Tyrell
-Jaime Lannister
-The Sand Snakes including Ellaria
-All the Night's Watch
-Littlefinger
-Tormund
-The Mountain
-The Hound
-Beric Dondarrion
-Grey Worm

Change this persons tag please.

Season 6 was fantastic.

Just binged season 1 with the gf this past weekend. Going to watch 9 and 10 of 6 this Sunday.

Hype hype hype.

Last year, they killed off every character we had either forgotten about or who needed to be usurped.

This year, they kill off everyone who is not needed in the great battle against the whitewalkers that is sure to happen in season 8.

My predictions:

-Theon
-Yara
-Euron
-Olenna Tyrell
-Jaime Lannister
-All the Night's Watch
-Littlefinger
-Tormund
-The Mountain
-The Hound
-Beric Dondarrion
-Grey Worm

Wow, lot of death if that's the case. Not sure I see them all dying this season but I also can't argue against. Would be sad to see Tormund go.

My predictions:

-Theon
-Yara
-Euron
-Olenna Tyrell
-Jaime Lannister
-All the Night's Watch
-Littlefinger
-Tormund
-The Mountain
-The Hound
-Beric Dondarrion
-Grey Worm

He'll just keep coming back to life!

Can't wait for this season to start. I always have Sundays off but for the first time in months I'm working this Sunday :(

I have hope that the season won't feel as rushed as last season but after rewatching last season this month I've realized, when watching back to back, that it doesn't feel quite as rushed

fantomena

My predictions:

-Theon
-Yara
-Euron
-Olenna Tyrell
-Jaime Lannister
-All the Night's Watch
-Littlefinger
-Tormund
-The Mountain
-The Hound
-Beric Dondarrion
-Grey Worm

They better not kill off Tormund. Davos, Tormund and Jon is my holy trinity.

vpezIhk.gif

My friends, the hour has come. Madness has overtaken this city and grasped in its claws my children. But now we must drive it back under the rocks whence it came. Madness has had its day!

a62jh1n.gif

Our true King is gone :(

------------------

Thanks for taking the thread CB, great job on the OT.

Moff

If there is any justice in this World, Robert Strong will sit the iron throne at the end of season 7

Dysun

Only seen the trailers once and avoided all coverage. Now I know what the other shoe feels like and it feels great.
Excited to see what's in store

jett

D-Member
I did a rewatch of the whole show a few months back. I gained a new appreciation for the show. Except for season 5. That shit's awful.

Top Bottom