• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Vita FW 1.8. What changed?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone notice the new browser? Or it appears different. What am I missing here as I know the big talk is about PSOne BC. Is there something out there in terms of documentation and what else is new here?

EDIT - It seems that you can now use the rear touch pad on the browser too.

The search bar is now on top next to the browser bar.

Thank you Kassatsu

Cross Controller

The new Cross-Controller feature will allow you to use PS Vita as a controller to play compatible games on PS3, such as LittleBigPlanet 2. This feature lets you take advantage of PS Vita’s rich features including the touch screen, rear touch pad, six-axis motion sensing system, and cameras.

To access the cross controller feature you need to launch the Remote Play application and then click on the Cross-Controller icon.
Controls

As many of you have requested, you will now have the option to control the home screen and some features of applications such as Videos and Music with the buttons on the PS Vita system.
Music

Playlists will be supported in Music. You will be able to transfer iTunes (10.6.3 or later), M3U, and M3U8 playlists from a PS3 or a PC using Content Manager.
Web Browser

Rear touch pad operation will be supported by the browser, allowing you to scroll through and zoom out of pages without obscuring the screen.
Video

The following controls have been added to Videos:

Playback speed control
Repeat play

Photos

Viewing photos in MPO format will now be supported, with the ability to transfer MPO files from PS3™ and PC using Content Manager.
* 3D and multi-angle viewing are NOT supported.
Group Messaging

Along with some new layout enhancements, you will be able to take photos to add as attachments when writing Group Messages.
Maps

The Maps feature has been improved by adding a button on the top screen to switch between “Search for Location” and “Search for Directions.” You can also touch and hold a location on the map and place a user flag.
“near”

“near” will be able to gather the information of surrounding Wi-Fi access points without internet connection and update the location data based on it later. You can get location data within the area covered by Wi-Fi location services.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-via-the-latest-system-software-update-v1-80/

kassatsu

Banned
Cross Controller

The new Cross-Controller feature will allow you to use PS Vita as a controller to play compatible games on PS3, such as LittleBigPlanet 2. This feature lets you take advantage of PS Vita’s rich features including the touch screen, rear touch pad, six-axis motion sensing system, and cameras.

To access the cross controller feature you need to launch the Remote Play application and then click on the Cross-Controller icon.

Controls

As many of you have requested, you will now have the option to control the home screen and some features of applications such as Videos and Music with the buttons on the PS Vita system.

Music

Playlists will be supported in Music. You will be able to transfer iTunes (10.6.3 or later), M3U, and M3U8 playlists from a PS3 or a PC using Content Manager.

Web Browser

Rear touch pad operation will be supported by the browser, allowing you to scroll through and zoom out of pages without obscuring the screen.

Video

The following controls have been added to Videos:

Playback speed control
Repeat play

Photos

Viewing photos in MPO format will now be supported, with the ability to transfer MPO files from PS3™ and PC using Content Manager.
* 3D and multi-angle viewing are NOT supported.

Group Messaging

Along with some new layout enhancements, you will be able to take photos to add as attachments when writing Group Messages.

Maps

The Maps feature has been improved by adding a button on the top screen to switch between “Search for Location” and “Search for Directions.” You can also touch and hold a location on the map and place a user flag.

“near”

“near” will be able to gather the information of surrounding Wi-Fi access points without internet connection and update the location data based on it later. You can get location data within the area covered by Wi-Fi location services.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...-via-the-latest-system-software-update-v1-80/

There is also some stealth stuff like the ability to assign touch controls for PSP games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I love the smaller pop up notifications and full screen notifications list.
System feels smoother.

Near's live area changed considerably as well.

LiquidMetal14

I love the smaller pop up notifications and full screen notifications list.
System feels smoother.

Near's live area changed considerably as well.

Ah ha, I knew something changed.

Sorry if this thread feels unworthy but I never knew about the blog post.

onQ123

control PSP games with the touch screen

http://www.psnstores.com/2012/08/vi...ws-you-to-control-psp-games-with-touchscreen/

1.jpg

VanWinkle

Notification pop-up is smaller, and the notification list looks much better. I've noticed some added fluidity in certain sections. The web browser has a couple new features but is still as dismal as ever (actually felt like it was even worse, but I haven't used the browser for awhile so I could be wrong). There are additional functions in the PSP emulator, such as new controls to assign to the right stick (which is great for games that used L and R for the camera, since they weren't able to be assigned to the right stick before). You see a whole lot less "Please wait..." prompts when going back into internet-connected applications that were technically still open.

you gotta go to settings>> system to turn on OS navigation with dpad buttons. Odd that it wasn't turned on by default.

Also holding down O closes apps if you are on their... page?

Eusis

If you could put in some button combos or something I could see it working, but this seems more practical for PS1 emulation where I might prefer the L3/R3 buttons on the front and the back dedicated to L2/R2, or something.

ari

Banned
If you could put in some button combos or something I could see it working, but this seems more practical for PS1 emulation where I might prefer the L3/R3 buttons on the front and the back dedicated to L2/R2, or something.
Oh ok, I thought it was for psp.

LiquidMetal14

I like the little arrow to browse back up. Sorely needed. Especially since I spend most (if not all) my time on GAF Mobile.

2012-08-28-001054f4y2s.jpg

Branson

It's a shot in the dark to ask, but I assume this doesnt add anymore support for other PSP titles? Like Portable Ops for US.

Elios83

Bad news: memory cards are now definetly tied to a single account :( You are forced to format if you change the account or the card simply isn't recognized. If you have games bought on multiple accounts you now have to do backups or own multiple cards.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Bad news: memory cards are now definetly tied to a single account :( You are forced to format if you change the account or the card simply isn't recognized. If you have games bought on multiple accounts you now have to do backups or own multiple cards.
BITCH move.

It's a shot in the dark to ask, but I assume this doesnt add anymore support for other PSP titles? Like Portable Ops for US.

I wish... That was the first thing I checked. No go :( I am redownloading to see if it will work then, but I really doubt it. I want to play that on the Vita...

LiquidMetal14

Does it load more of a web page than just the current screen now? I hate the fact that you have to load with every scroll...

Describe. Not sure what you mean. I can go look but not sure what you mean.

You mean actual on screen web page showing? It looks the same. Scroll, not sure what you mean by loading after every scroll.

Jamix012

Uhh...So unless I'm being really stupid it seems I can't bind the Directional pad to the left analougue stick? If so, that's just awful. (I'm playing Megaman 2 PS1 classic)

Takao

Banned
I don't understand why backtouch support for the browser isn't enabled from the get go. It's a pretty nice feature.

whitehawk

Banned
I don't understand why backtouch support for the browser isn't enabled from the get go. It's a pretty nice feature.
Most people aren't used to it. They would hold the vita while touching the back and be confused as to why the screen is moving around.

Chris_C

You mean actual on screen web page showing? It looks the same. Scroll, not sure what you mean by loading after every scroll.

Typically, when you start scrolling down on a web page (especially one with images, such as the PSP blog), you can see images below the fold loading in. Basically, the browser only loads into memory images that are immediately visible in the window.

KillerAJD

He means that you could scroll a web page before it completely loaded, and it would only show a checkerboard until it loaded. I've only spent a few minutes with it after the update, but it could very well be better, but without some kind of timer I can't say for sure. It feels snappier anyways. My problem i had with the browser is that after awhile, it would make any tab change re-load the page. That can get annoying if you're trying to browse a few different threads at once.

*Edit* Just tried the playstation blog and it checkerboards pretty badly still. Only takes a few seconds for the page to completely load, but if you try to scroll with any speed, it pops up.

LiquidMetal14

He means that you could scroll a web page before it completely loaded, and it would only show a checkerboard until it loaded. I've only spent a few minutes with it after the update, but it could very well be better, but without some kind of timer I can't say for sure. It feels snappier anyways. My problem i had with the browser is that after awhile, it would make any tab change re-load the page. That can get annoying if you're trying to browse a few different threads at once.

Typically, when you start scrolling down on a web page (especially one with images, such as the PSP blog), you can see images below the fold loading in. Basically, the browser only loads into memory images that are immediately visible in the window.

Gotcha. What would be a good thread to test, the PC screen shot thread?

Top Bottom