• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

MoodyFog

Anybody have a nice list of essential, foundational guy's fashion? I've got a completely scattershot wardrobe with random jeans and pants, design print t-shirts, a couple of casual blazers that fit well, socks with funky patterns, and a few button downs that have last me a bunch of years.

This seems like a good starter list to begin, but maybe a little too basic? taylorlapeyre.com/basicwardrobe.info

I'm a college instructor, I tend to just wear street clothes to teach, occasionally dressing up but keeping it pretty relaxed. I really like streetwear and I'm attracted to hip hop/punk kind of stuff. At the same time, I'm already 33 - good god - so I recognize that I need to sharpen up a bit and just have some strong essentials that fit me well. I'm also on the hunt for a new job (actually, an entirely new career), so a good, modern-looking contemporary men's wardrobe will probably be necessary pretty soon.

Help me sharpen up and get the essentials, MensFashionGAF!

99acd91a980f67ca002b6975baf63a68.jpg

http://www.themodestman.com/minimal-essential-wardrobe/

Hero

Anybody have a nice list of essential, foundational guy's fashion? I've got a completely scattershot wardrobe with random jeans and pants, design print t-shirts, a couple of casual blazers that fit well, socks with funky patterns, and a few button downs that have last me a bunch of years.

This seems like a good starter list to begin, but maybe a little too basic? taylorlapeyre.com/basicwardrobe.info

I'm a college instructor, I tend to just wear street clothes to teach, occasionally dressing up but keeping it pretty relaxed. I really like streetwear and I'm attracted to hip hop/punk kind of stuff. At the same time, I'm already 33 - good god - so I recognize that I need to sharpen up a bit and just have some strong essentials that fit me well. I'm also on the hunt for a new job (actually, an entirely new career), so a good, modern-looking contemporary men's wardrobe will probably be necessary pretty soon.

Help me sharpen up and get the essentials, MensFashionGAF!

Gonna plug his blog again, because this is a specific article he actually has.

http://theessentialman.com/how-to-create-minimalist-wardrobe/

Assuming you do laundry once a week, here’s what I recommend for a starting minimalist wardrobe:

14 pieces (not counting the socks and underwear)

2 Jackets (1 blazer, 1 casual)
8 tops (a mixture of t-shirts, polos, button-ups and henleys)
2 pants (1 pair of chinos, 1 pair of dark wash denim)
8 pairs of underwear
8 pairs of socks
1 pair of boots
1 pair of classic white sneakers

minimalist-outfits.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Not getting this joke. Can you explain it?
It's quite simple really, this looks like the wardrobe of a middle aged divorced man who teaches geography for a living.

Only a man such as this would dress in such drab colours whilst awkwardly striding the line between passed it and "hip with the kids" and categorise his clothing by day.

Edit: lol, I only just noticed that Saturday is labelled "laundry day".

Just like his ex-wife taught him.

Hero

It's quite simple really, this looks like the wardrobe of a middle aged divorced man who teaches geography for a living.

Only a man such as this would dress in such drab colours whilst awkwardly striding the line between passed it and "hip with the kids" and categorise his clothing by day.

Edit: lol, I only just noticed that Saturday is labelled "laundry day".

Just like his ex-wife taught him.

I get it now, but it's not as funny as you trying to slam a guy that literally makes his bread by being a private stylist for men.

NinjaBoiX

I get it now, but it's not as funny as you trying to slam a guy that literally makes his bread by being a private stylist for men.
"Be really plain, homogenised and inoffensive, show as little imagination and personality as possible. Buy all your clothes in bland colours, that way they can't fail but work together in whatever combination your ex-wife would approve of.

This is the cookie cutter advice I give all my clients with just the right lack of self-confidence to fail to see through the facade and so clueless that they apparently need to be told how to dress."

That'll be $2000 please.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Seriously look at Thursday. White shirt, brown jacket, beige pants, brown belt, brown shoes.

And Tuesday; dark brown jacket paired with dark blue shirt and pants, really?

Kraftwerk

NinjaBoiX, you schtick is getting really annoying. All you do in this thread is shit on others for their taste. Not even constructive criticism. Its been going on for a very long time now.

Oxn

Ehh its not constructive but he isnt wrong about those outfits though.

Building an entire wardrobe that style is irky

giga

pro tip: don't build entire wardrobes. buy one or two pieces until you get a handle of what your style is and how it evolves.

Hero

Ehh its not constructive but he isnt wrong about those outfits though.

Building an entire wardrobe that style is irky

"Be really plain, homogenised and inoffensive, show as little imagination and personality as possible. Buy all your clothes in bland colours, that way they can't fail but work together in whatever combination your ex-wife would approve of.

This is the cookie cutter advice I give all my clients with just the right lack of self-confidence to fail to see through the facade and so clueless that they apparently need to be told how to dress."

That'll be $2000 please.

The point of having a minimalist wardrobe is to make sure you have pieces that can be wear in a multitude of scenarios and environments. I can't believe I have to explain this. Things like white, navy, and khaki/brown are essentials for a reason. I would like to see what kind of wardrobe you would suggest without being as safe and inoffensive as you claim. Again, you're the one proclaiming your experience as a bar manager (going by your GAF profile) is equal to, if not better, than someone that's spent their adult career in the fashion industry, so I'm highly dubious.

NinjaBoiX

NinjaBoiX, you schtick is getting really annoying. All you do in this thread is shit on others for their taste. Not even constructive criticism. Its been going on for a very long time now.
Oh lighten up you minge, it's just a bit of a laugh. At least I actually still post instead of just complaining about others posting!
The point of having a minimalist wardrobe is to make sure you have pieces that can be wear in a multitude of scenarios and environments. I can't believe I have to explain this. Things like white, navy, and khaki/brown are essentials for a reason. I would like to see what kind of wardrobe you would suggest without being as safe and inoffensive as you claim. Again, you're the one proclaiming your experience as a bar manager (going by your GAF profile) is equal to, if not better, than someone that's spent their adult career in the fashion industry, so I'm highly dubious.
I love all those colours, but I dunno, maybe throw some yellows in there, a bit of red, some excitement into the mix? It's so safe and homogeneous that it's like showing someone how to dress without evoking a reaction from anyone whatsoever. It's barely even advice.

"Follow these simple tips to like you only wear clothes so people don't throw things at you."
pro tip: don't build entire wardrobes. buy one or two pieces until you get a handle of what your style is and how it evolves.
So true. Just let your tastes evolve on your own terms, if you still feel like you dress terribly ask your friends for some advice.

Paying a "professional" to tell you what to wear is mental and to be honest, a bit pathetic imo.

Hero

Oh lighten up you minge, it's just a bit of a laugh. At least I actually still post instead of just complaining about others posting!

I love all those colours, but I dunno, maybe throw some yellows in there, a bit of red, some excitement into the mix? It's so safe and homogeneous that it's like showing someone how to dress without evoking a reaction from anyone whatsoever. It's barely even advice.

"Follow these simple tips to like you only wear clothes so people don't throw things at you."

So true. Just let your tastes evolve on your own terms, if you still feel like you dress terribly ask your friends for some advice.

Paying a "professional" to tell you what to wear is mental and to be honest, a bit pathetic imo.

Again, this is for a minimalist wardrobe. Can you acknowledge that, or are you seriously suggesting that someone that is going to have a total of eight tops should go with a red one and a yellow one? He literally goes over in different posts to embrace color for a full wardrobe, which would you know if you actually took some time to read the content of his blog instead of basically shit posting because you think white, brown, blue, and gray are "boring." You say it's barely advice but I guess you're implying this is all inherent knowledge, because that has not been my experience in the US. I see men dressing not well at all every single day.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Yep, otherwise you'll throw everything away a year later. Takes time to figure things out.

Can anyone recommend chukka boots ~$200? I currently have CDBs in tan but looking for something new--suede is fine preferably in brown leather?

NinjaBoiX

Again, this is for a minimalist wardrobe. Can you acknowledge that, or are you seriously suggesting that someone that is going to have a total of eight tops should go with a red one and a yellow one? He literally goes over in different posts to embrace color for a full wardrobe, which would you know if you actually took some time to read the content of his blog instead of basically shit posting because you think white, brown, blue, and gray are "boring." You say it's barely advice but I guess you're implying this is all inherent knowledge, because that has not been my experience in the US. I see men dressing not well at all every single day.
Bro, I dress how I want to dress.

My main bone of contention is with the idea that rich, clueless people pay someone to tell them how to dress. I realise that it's a basic overview of how to build a wardrobe but it's so generic and simpfied that it's basically "this is so inoffensive and vanilla that you'll simply blend into the wallpaper".

It's not advice, it's a beige shrug of a response that isn't even worth a thought. People get paid to tell idiots with more money than sense that keeping it basic means that I don't have to care what your actual style is, just wear this and no-one will care one way or the other.

It's a bullshit industry like personal training, "here are some rudimentary principles that you should know already as a functioning, apparently successful human being. Thanks for the pay check you mug."

It's bullshit, I hate all that it stands for.
I apologize if I was harsh. I was in a bad mood.

Im gonna buy a pair of Rick Owen tech runners to calm myself down :p
It's all good man, I have a very acerbic sense of humour. It's my eternal downfall!

Hero

Bro, I dress how I want to dress.

My main bone of contention is with the idea that rich, clueless people pay someone to tell them how to dress. I realise that it's a basic overview of how to build a wardrobe but it's so generic and simpfied that it's basically "this is so inoffensive and vanilla that you'll simply blend into the wallpaper".

It's not advice, it's a beige shrug of a response that isn't even worth a thought. People get paid to tell idiots with more money than sense that keeping it basic means that I don't have to care what your actual style is, just wear this and no-one will care one way or the other.

It's a bullshit industry like personal training, "here are some rudimentary principles that you should know already as a functioning, apparently successful human being. Thanks for the pay check you mug."

It's bullshit, I hate all that it stands for.

It's all good man, I have a very acerbic sense of humour. It's my eternal downfall!

No one was coming at the way you were dressing? I asked you what you would suggest for colors for someone doing a minimalist wardrobe and you came back me with yellow and red, two of the brightest colors you could possibly wear.

It amazes me that you think this is all inherent knowledge that people get. Your experience is different from everyone else. Some people don't know the most basic things about tons of different subjects, that's literally why there are "for dummies" books. You can fucking hate that some dude is getting paid to dress people to not look like a total idiot, but how about less shit-posting about stuff you disagree with? Especially in a male fashion thread on a video game forum?

NinjaBoiX

No one was coming at the way you were dressing? I asked you what you would suggest for colors for someone doing a minimalist wardrobe and you came back me with yellow and red, two of the brightest colors you could possibly wear.

It amazes me that you think this is all inherent knowledge that people get. Your experience is different from everyone else. Some people don't know the most basic things about tons of different subjects, that's literally why there are "for dummies" books. You can fucking hate that some dude is getting paid to dress people to not look like a total idiot, but how about less shit-posting about stuff you disagree with? Especially in a male fashion thread on a video game forum?
I don't think minimalist means what you think it means.

And yes, I realise that some people don't have a clue how to dress, I just think that personal shopping is a mugs game. Ask a friend, don't pay someone to pick out clothes for you like your mother did as a child.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Bought two shirts from Saturdays NYC, really happy with the quality and cut. Shirts can be so hit or miss regardless of the brand. One of the best shirts I ever bought was from Illustrated Example, warm wool shirt, great quality, yet I haven't been interested in anything else they make.

John Elliott just released some nice raglan crews, really want the mustard one. Been adding yellow sweaters to my wardrobe, goes really well with all the olive green stuff I have. The green one is nice too but I have a similar one from Aime Leon Doré. And to be frank I have a similar sweater to this one from Norse Projects anyway.

Zekes!

Bought two shirts from Saturdays NYC, really happy with the quality and cut. Shirts can be so hit or miss regardless of the brand. One of the best shirts I ever bought was from Illustrated Example, warm wool shirt, great quality, yet I haven't been interested in anything else they make.

John Elliott just released some nice raglan crews, really want the mustard one. Been adding yellow sweaters to my wardrobe, goes really well with all the olive green stuff I have. The green one is nice too but I have a similar one from Aime Leon Doré. And to be frank I have a similar sweater to this one from Norse Projects anyway.

I've been looking at some yellow pieces this season too. Almost copped a yellow coaches jacket, until I realized I already own two coaches jackets I don't wear.

I need to pick up some new John Elliott tees this summer though. The current Canadian prices suck, but that's just the state of our dollar. Need to finally get around to checking out Aime Leon Doré too. A local shop started carrying them this season, which I was stoked about since I had been thinking about ordering stuff online for a while.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I love the top half of the Y3 Qasa, but that bumper sole bums me out. Is there anything out there resembling the design of the Qasa, but without the better part of a rubber tree attached under it?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've been looking at some yellow pieces this season too. Almost copped a yellow coaches jacket, until I realized I already own two coaches jackets I don't wear.

I need to pick up some new John Elliott tees this summer though. The current Canadian prices suck, but that's just the state of our dollar. Need to finally get around to checking out Aime Leon Doré too. A local shop started carrying them this season, which I was stoked about since I had been thinking about ordering stuff online for a while.

Yeah ALD has been sold in a lot more stores over the past few months.

For the most part I just bookmark JE and ALD on ssense and wait for sales. There was a big sale recently on JE's own site, some good prices and a lot of stuff was available in all sizes for a while, but I didn't bother. I need to try them.

Zekes!

Yeah ALD has been sold in a lot more stores over the past few months.

For the most part I just bookmark JE and ALD on ssense and wait for sales. There was a big sale recently on JE's own site, some good prices and a lot of stuff was available in all sizes for a while, but I didn't bother. I need to try them.

yeah I only dare look at ssense when their sale is on

I saw that JE sale, was gonna cop a tee but slept on it, damn it

EVOL 100%

So I've been thinking of buying some stuff from Grailed

Does anybody have any negative or positive experiences to share? I'm a bit wary of buying used clothes

Lotto

It's great. Some of the best deals I find are on grailed. Only ran into one mishap out of like 60 transactions. Sizing was way off for a pair of trousers I bought but the guy refunded me a few bucks for his mistake so that was nice. Always ask for more pictures/quality condition of the product and research sizing in advance if you can and be wary of people with 0 feedback. Fees have gone up since it was first created but it was inevitable with how big it's become.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Being made fun of is classic initiation to this thread bros.

I think my first post was about liking the nautical characteristics of miansai bracelets in like 2011 and the manshion bros made my teenage self feel like shit for an entire week lmfao

EVOL 100%

It's great. Some of the best deals I find are on grailed. Only ran into one mishap out of like 60 transactions. Sizing was way off for a pair of trousers I bought but the guy refunded me a few bucks for his mistake so that was nice. Always ask for more pictures/quality condition of the product and research sizing in advance if you can and be wary of people with 0 feedback. Fees have gone up since it was first created but it was inevitable with how big it's become.

Thanks, that's reassuring. There were some insane deals that just seemed too good to be true, even taking the damage/aging in account

Being made fun of is classic initiation to this thread bros.

I think my first post was about liking the nautical characteristics of miansai bracelets in like 2011 and the manshion bros made my teenage self feel like shit for an entire week lmfao

I remember posting some pictures of me wearing ill fitting, horrific gaudy suit jackets as a babyfaced 19 year old 4 years back. People were pretty nice. Maybe they felt sorry for me

entremet

Yea, i mean there is no versatility at all.

Its all chinos/slacks, blazers, and dress shirts.

If thats all you like then ok i guess.

The whole thing with these bloggers is that they're helping out those with little fashion sense. Gotta crawl before you walk. They're not targeting the r/malefashionadvice dudes or StyleForum vets.

Like many dedicated communities, we sometimes miss this point lol.

kiyomi

The whole thing with these bloggers is that they're helping out those with little fashion sense. Gotta crawl before you walk. They're not targeting the r/malefashionadvice dudes or StyleForum vets.

Like many dedicated communities, we sometimes miss this point lol.

I dunno, MFA has always struck me as preaching a very beginner-friendly, safe sense of male style much like the blogs posted here, with heaps of chinos and OCBDs. Personally I find it rather dull most of the time but like you say a lot of people (like myself) are just kinda learning to crawl. Definitely a great resource but it's also not cutting edge or risky in any sense imo.

entremet

I dunno, MFA has always struck me as preaching a very beginner-friendly, safe sense of male style much like the blogs posted here, with heaps of chinos and OCBDs. Personally I find it rather dull most of the time but like you say a lot of people (like myself) are just kinda learning to crawl. Definitely a great resource but it's also not cutting edge or risky in any sense imo.
The guides are rather safe yes, but the WAYWT threads are more risk taking and creative.

EVOL 100%

I never looked up guides and mostly bought whatever the hell I want.

Now I have a pretty well defined sense of style but goddamn was I a horrendous dresser.

I think there's merit for both approaches, especially if you're a kid just getting into fashion. Wouldn't recommend diving headfirst if you're an adult though.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Anyone know where I can get a dirt cheap linen-cotton blazer? Uniqlo used to have one I wanted for $19 but I haven't seen in stock for a while.

Also anyone know the difference in feel between a gabardine trench coat and a poplin one? I assume gabardine is more durable but doesn't breath as well and poplin is a bit cheaper, breathable, but breaks down faster. Lookin for a summer/fall replacement for my pea coat goes to mid-thigh (not a tall guy....) and doesn't break the wallet.

Anyone into Hawaiian shirts? I ordered a few for the summer. I love these reproduction brands that make these shirts period accurate and with beautiful patterns.

SS37453_128_thumb-700x700.png

SS37465_155_thumb-700x700.png

These are so cute. Made in Japan by Sun Surf.

STVNSN_LEAF_01-682x1025.JPG

SH_VIBES_03-1038x690.jpg

SH_SEAHORSE_03-1001x666.jpg

A few other different brands make them too. All from Japan as well.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I feel so boring in my Scandi minimalist stuff so I've been thinking of starting to change it up and slowly transition to a more "rockstar chic/SLP but with more affordable brands" style to be a bit more flashy (Not that SLP is that exciting lmao, but it's still more exciting than pure nordic minimalism)
Good part of it is that I can still use my scandi stuff no need to throw it away and just buy more flashy items and my body is pretty much perfect for it (6'0", 117 lbs).

Now what different designers am I supposed to buy from? IRO, Sandro, Allsaints and YSL/SLP? Is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio...saint_laurent_paris_aesthetic_an_inspiration/ guide still relevant? Should I just taper my slim fit acne jeans or buy new skinny jeans (Which acne seems to have stopped selling, fuck you Acne I was willing to buy a pair of thins)?

kiyomi

I feel so boring in my Scandi minimalist stuff so I've been thinking of starting to change it up and slowly transition to a more "rockstar chic/SLP but with more affordable brands" style to be a bit more flashy (Not that SLP is that exciting lmao, but it's still more exciting than pure nordic minimalism)
Good part of it is that I can still use my scandi stuff no need to throw it away and just buy more flashy items and my body is pretty much perfect for it (6'0", 117 lbs).

Now what different designers am I supposed to buy from? IRO, Sandro, Allsaints and YSL/SLP? Is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio...saint_laurent_paris_aesthetic_an_inspiration/ guide still relevant? Should I just taper my slim fit acne jeans or buy new skinny jeans (Which acne seems to have stopped selling, fuck you Acne I was willing to buy a pair of thins)?

Nudie do some pretty skinny jeans and they're decent quality, plus some of them are on sale atm. I've got a pair of Long Johns which are skinny enough for me, but maybe not for you. :D https://www.nudiejeans.com/selection/sale#category=jeans

You might wanna try The Kooples for other SLP-look stuff.

Top Bottom