• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump won't attend Kennedy Center Awards, Center agrees that is for better of event

Tovarisc

DHl1CdrUMAAZhCV.jpg
cO39Ifu.png

https://twitter.com/kencen/status/898873014506340352

PJV3

I get the feeling sometimes that Trump is just trying to get out of the work side of running a country.

DonShula

He wouldn't understand shit about the work of those being honored anyway.

You think Trump wants to go sit somewhere and celebrate someone other than himself?

RPGCrazied

Can I just wake up one morning without a scandal? Better yet, can I wake up to him actually resigning? Its like he is doing everything that most Presidents would have been impeached for, but GOP seem like they aren't interested.

"...to celebrate without any political distractions"

The fact that the White House considers the President to be a 'political distraction' is kind of both beautiful and tragic at the same time.

Essentially, the President can no longer do elements of his job because people are waiting for/expecting him to fuck up.

cameron

Bit from coverage by WaPo:
The announcement comes as three of the five honorees — television producer Norman Lear, singer Lionel Richie and dancer Carmen de Lavallade — said they would boycott the traditional White House reception related to the celebration. As for the other two, rapper LL Cool J has not said whether he would attend, and Cuban American singer Gloria Estefan said she would go to try to influence the president on immigration issues.

The White House occupants have traditionally attended the Kennedy Center program each year. But the backlash against Trump was prompted by his handling of the white nationalist rally in Charlottesville last weekend, which ended in the death of a counterprotester.

CHC

"In choosing not to participate in this year's Honors Activities, the Administration has graciously signaled its respect for the Kennedy Center and ensures that the honors gala remains a deservingly special moment for the Honorees."

Goddamn that's some condemnation right there. Basically just saying, in no uncertain terms, "you'd ruin this event."

He's basically resigned from the presidency. He just won't get out.

You saw this Frank Bruni thing right? He's basically saying the same thing, which is true. The whole situation at this point is so deeply sad and pathetic, really.

Shauni

I get the feeling sometimes that Trump is just trying to get out of the work side of running a country.

This is like no work at all. It is in a very blue area with almost exclusively liberal leaning artists, and that's why he's not attending

MarionCB

Trump is so divisive and toxic that his mere presence is political; an affront to all decent people. He is absolutely incapable of even attempting all of the ceremonial and official roles where the President lends the dignity and honour of the office as Head of State rather than as a politician. He is simply bereft of any fine quality. He is a voracious and vicious ego in a ridiculous wig.

Korey

"In choosing not to participate...the Administration ensures the Honors gala remains a deservingly special moment for the Honorees. We are grateful for this gesture."

Shade af

Alebrije

Sometimes I think he regrets being president , as an 71 years old man spending his last years dealing with his owns mistakes won't be a nice journey.

Do not think he will run for 8 years.

Trump is so divisive and toxic that his mere presence is political; an affront to all decent people. He is absolutely incapable of even attempting all of the ceremonial and official roles where the President lends the dignity and honour of the office as Head of State rather than as a politician. He is simply bereft of any fine quality. He is a voracious and vicious ego in a ridiculous wig.

I'm starting to think he believes he is just president of the ones who elected him.

Only the deplorables have a US President right now. The rest of you guys seem just un-represented.

Beartruck

Sometimes I think he regrets being president , as an 71 years old man spending his last years dealing with his owns mistakes won't be a nice journey.

Do not think he will run for 8 years.

He will run for 2020. He can't not. Obama was a 2 term president. If he isn't that means Obama won. Can't have that.

Has a president ever missed this event before?

Edit: So it looks like it has only been skipped 3 times before this. Jimmy Carter in 1979 due to the hostage crisis, George H.W. Bush in 1989, and Bill Clinton in 1994. At least that's what Wikipedia says.

Miles X

He will run for 2020. He can't not. Obama was a 2 term president. If he isn't that means Obama won. Can't have that.

This just made me realise. I am PRAYING dems don't let the world down in 2020, only if for Obama and everyone else to rub salt into the wound that Obama bested him.

PJV3

This is like no work at all. It is in a very blue area with almost exclusively liberal leaning artists, and that's why he's not attending

Well that's partly what I meant, he seems to forget he is still president of the people who didn't vote for him.

He's president of half the USA and shrinking.

You have to a massive fuck up when you are the president of the USA and people are glad you aren't pitching up for their event.

Gorger

He knows most of the country hates him and wants nothing to do with him. He won't dare come out of his echo chamber, and will remain there in his little safe place to freely pander towards his die hard cultists uninterruptedly. Though I am pretty sure his unpopularity angers his ego greatly.

Azuran

Banned
Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be the most hated person in your country. He knows the majority doesn't like him no matter how much he loves to deny it.

And to think he ran for President because he thought that would finally earned him the respect and admiration he thinks he deserves lol

Garlador

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be the most hated person in your country. He knows the majority doesn't like him no matter how much he loves to deny it.

And to think he ran for President because he thought that would finally earned him the respect and admiration he thinks he deserves lol

The second part is the juiciest part. He did this to feed his ego and soak in the crowds, applause, and grandstanding. It affirmed his fragile and damaged ego.

... But then the responsibilities of the job came and the criticism grew LOUDER over time. And they will only grow more and more with each passing day.

RinsFury

Good. That piece of shit should be barred from all events, outside of his racist voting base the rest of the world despises him.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's a good decision by the president and his council. I think this shows how much respect there is for the Kennedy center and what they do.

I'm sure it pisses some off that this won't be another opportunity to sideline announcements to ask him the same question over and over again to capture a perfect sound bite.

Top Bottom