• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Vice President for Japan hints at possible PS4 announcement in May/June

yurinka said:
was going to create the thread.

Emol said:
Sony executive previews an 'important PlayStation announcement' to be made in some few months

Hiroshi Sakamoto, Sony Home Entertainment general subdirector also highlighted how important the Chilean market is for the Latin-American technology adoption.

LAS VEGAS.- We saw new products in Las Vegas, but also could talk during some minutes with some of the top executives of the main technology companies.

One of these meetings was with Hiroshi Sakamoto, Sony Home Entertainment general subdirector, who told us in a short interview that they have an important announcement related to the PlayStation consoles to be made in the coming months.
... some talk about the good adoption of new technology in the Chilean market when compared to the rest of Latin America and about NFC devices and then...
Emol said:

Regarding consoles, people say that Sony will make announcements this year and that would be working on the new PlayStation. Are we going to see a new model in some months?

It's still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we're focused on the games related E3 event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May.

But are you working on a big reveal or in something complementary?
Probably the first, we plan to release big news for this date, but we have to wait at least until May.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/tecnol...uncio-de-playstation-para-unos-meses-mas.html

---

Thanks to Cramoss from the Orbis rumour thread, and per the 'new news, new thread' mantra:

I don't know if this is old or what but on an interview Hiroshi Sakamoto, when asked about if we'll see something about the next gen console, he said that they're getting ready for a big playstation announcement for E3 or even before in May.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/tecnol...uncio-de-playstation-para-unos-meses-mas.html

Poor translation for the interesting part:

Q: As for consoles, has said enough that Sony has ads for this year and is working on a new PlayStation. Will we see a new model in a few months?

"That's still a big secret, but our friends are preparing Sony PlayStation. I can only say that we are focused on the E3 gaming event, scheduled for June's announcement may be in that month or even earlier in May. "

Q: But are preparing a major announcement or a complement?

"Probably the first, in that time we expect to deliver great news, but we must wait until May at least."

I believe @yurinka is translating it for us.

PS4 is going to be a huge make-or-break moment for Sony. Vita has been an unmitigated disaster (especially with Monster Hunter 4 going to Nintendo and Pokémon X & Y announced so early), and Sony can't afford the same again with PS4. If it's overpriced like the PS3 originally was it might be too late for them by the time they can afford to drop the price.

73V3N

Banned
En cuanto a consolas, se ha hablado bastante que Sony tiene anuncios para este año y estaría trabajando en una nueva PlayStation ¿Veremos un nuevo modelo en unos meses?
"Eso todavía es un gran secreto, pero nuestros amigos de Sony PlayStation se están preparando. Solamente puedo decir que estamos enfocados en el evento de juegos E3, agendado para junio. El anuncio puede ser en ese minuto o incluso antes en mayo".

my translation:
When it comes to consoles, a lot has been said about Sony having some announcements for this year, and about how you're probably working on a new Playstation, Will wee have some news about it in the upcoming months?

"That's still a big secret, but our friends at Sony Playstation are getting ready. For now i can only say that we're focused in the gaming event "E3", scheduled for june.
This announcement can be by then (june) or even before, in may"

EDIT: looks like i'm late :/

Iacobellis

Sony needs to start building hype now, and not from an interview in a foreign language. Microsoft started the E3 countdown, it is Sony's turn.

7BVGd.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
PS4 is going to be a huge make-or-break moment for Sony. Vita has been an unmitigated disaster (especially with Monster Hunter 4 going to Nintendo and Pokémon X & Y announced so early), and Sony can't afford the same again with PS4. If it's overpriced like the PS3 originally was it might be too late for them by the time they can afford to drop the price.

Won't be the case. For what it is, Sony has learned their mistakes from the PS3 launch and I'm pretty sure the PS4 will be priced competitively.

PS4 has much better prospects without sony even doing anything, third party support is gonna be there so long as the thing is on par with what microsoft is doing with theirs. That leaves sony to focus more on first party efforts that they did this gen. Pricing is still important of course, definitely.

Announce it like this Sony, please:

SKU 1) $399 comes with a controller and headset for online multiplayer.

SKU 2) $599 comes with a controller, VR helmet like Oculus Rift but better, and Sony first-party exclusive built with the VR helmet in mind.

I would line up at midnight with the money I earned working 4 jobs for SKU 2.

Derrick01

Banned
I am not ready for the inevitable disappointment of next gen on consoles, despite preparing myself for a few years now.

quest

Not Banned from OT
If Microsoft are announcing something at E3, Sony might well make a pre-emptive strike in May.

Hype.

Why? So 3 tech sites can cover it vs the all the main stream media and being on cable TV at E3. If either gives out anything besides a little teaser before E3 it be dumb. Both can get prime time slots and have spike TV advertise it months out about the huge E3 reveals. Spike TV also has the COD demographic which both must get some of for a successful launch in th US.

Only Apple could pull of a huge hype event outside E3 and get main stream coverage.

yurinka

was going to create the thread. My translation:

Emol said:
Sony executive previews an 'important PlayStation announcement' to be made in some few months

Hiroshi Sakamoto, Sony Home Entertainment general subdirector also highlighted how important the Chilean market is for the Latin-American technology adoption.

LAS VEGAS.- We saw new products in Las Vegas, but also could talk during some minutes with some of the top executives of the main technology companies.

One of these meetings was with Hiroshi Sakamoto, Sony Home Entertainment general subdirector, who told us in a short interview that they have an important announcement related to the PlayStation consoles to be made in the coming months.
... some talk about the good adoption of new technology in the Chilean market when compared to the rest of Latin America and about NFC devices and then...
Emol said:

Regarding consoles, people say that Sony will make announcements this year and that would be working on the new PlayStation. Are we going to see a new model in some months?

It's still a big secret, but our Sony PlayStation friends are getting ready. I only can say that we're focused on the E3 gaming event, booked for June. The announcement can take place there or even before, in May.

But are you working on a big reveal or in something complementary?
Probably the first, we plan to release big news for this date, but we have to wait at least until May.

Just checked the OP and their translation is good enough, maybe better than my own.

nataku

Announce it like this Sony, please:

SKU 1) $399 comes with a controller and headset for online multiplayer.

SKU 2) $599 comes with a controller, VR helmet like Oculus Rift but better, and Sony first-party exclusive built with the VR helmet in mind.

I would line up at midnight with the money I earned working 4 jobs for SKU 2.

No way they repeat a "$599!", no matter what it comes with.

acksman

Won't be the case. For what it is, Sony has learned their mistakes from the PS3 launch and I'm pretty sure the PS4 will be priced competitively.

I think Sony has learned from last time, but the market has changed. I am not so sure they have caught up. Sony's console will still be more expensive that Microsoft's on the front end.

Look for Microsoft to have a subsidized console price that will have a contract with a very low entry price (In one model). While most core gamers may not like that, I think the masses will eat it up. They love their cheap iPhone's with a nice 2 year monthly payment that helps slowly pay it off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Timing makes sense to me. Get the name, design, specs out there before E3 then hit everyone with games at the show.

I expect MS will reveal earlier but I'm also expecting Microsoft to launch a couple months earlier as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If they're waiting for May, then I'll say it will be like a week or so after The Last of Us launches, since it's kind of their last large sales potential core game for this generation.

May announcement? Fuck yeah! Announce it early, and then demonstrate on E3.

Lets hope Sony is smart enough and releases headset with all consoles. That's one place they're lacking badly.

Atomski

Why? So 3 tech sites can cover it vs the all the main stream media and being on cable TV at E3. If either gives out anything besides a little teaser before E3 it be dumb. Both can get prime time slots and have spike TV advertise it months out about the huge E3 reveals. Spike TV also has the COD demographic which both must get some of for a successful launch in th US.

Only Apple could pull of a huge hype event outside E3 and get main stream coverage.
Do you not remember the Xbox 360 announcement on MTV??

Pein

Banned
I'd love another $599 console, get all the cutting edge new tech in there and nice materials. Also keeps douche bags off for awhile. The PS3s first couple of years were really pleasant in terms of multiplayer community.

Kosma

Banned
The wait is so long. Dammit.

I need it now.

May announcement? Fuck yeah! Announce it early, and then demonstrate on E3.

Lets hope Sony is smart enough and releases headset with all consoles. That's one place they're lacking badly.

May announcement. September release.

Believe.

Sony should think about dropping the price of the ps3 to 199 like right now. If they wait to long that magic number wont has a big effect as it normally would because the focus would be on the ps4. At the very least bring that EU 16gb version to the US at 199.

Top Bottom