• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony : Vice President for Japan hints at possible PS4 announcement in May/June

InPlosion

I'm seriously thinking about buying my first day one console right now.

My last sony machine was a psOne, which served me well, even though my ps1 library was, and still is, meager.
I skipped the ps2(yeah I know..), and ended up buying a 360 in mid 2009, purchase which I regret greatly.
I can't stand paying for thin air, and being handled as a second rate customer by microsoft.

I kind of scared though, what if the ps4 hardware is faulty or something? My early adopter experience may quickly spiral down to a nightmare, like it was for RROD victims.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I doubt Microsoft wont announce or at the least teaser/arg/hint at something before e3.

I would say a teaser to build up to the E3 count down that is happening. Maybe some sort of 30second trailer of some game footage/tech demo with at the end all to be revealed at E3 on spike TV with time and date. Air it as a ad on spike tv 2 months before the event. Week before launch buy logo ad similar to how networks like to do advertising a new show or event.

If Microsoft are announcing something at E3, Sony might well make a pre-emptive strike in May.

Hype.

I think the advantage is with microsoft. they'll probably announce first due to no first party or big exclusives coming to their console after the next gears of war title. I fully expect something like a viral campaign to help ramp up hype and interest with a proper reveal at e3.

sony have a pretty big number of exclusives coming which they'll hope will sell well, so they are pretty much bound by those. announce a ps4 before they are all out and risk them bombing, announce after and they might lose momentum to microsoft.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
When will we see the fruits of the gaikai acquisition?
I want to play every digital ps1/2/3 and possibly 4 game on my vita.
lol ... a man can dream :(

Who here thinks Sony has a pact with Naughty Dog? They probably can't reveal PS4 prior the last of us's release.

I think the advantage is with microsoft. they'll probably announce first due to no first party or big exclusives coming to their console after the next gears of war title. I fully expect something like a viral campaign to help ramp up hype and interest with a proper reveal at e3.

sony have a pretty big number of exclusives coming which they'll hope will sell well, so they are pretty much bound by those. announce a ps4 before they are all out and risk them bombing, announce after and they might lose momentum to microsoft.

yea, sony will have to make some tough calls.

Man, when it's announced that its not B/C, so many people are gonna rage. I personally don't care.

It's not going to be is it. I imagine Sony will do what they can to avoid selling a new system at a loss again, and sidestepping backwards compatibility will shirley help. It'll suck, but eh... I've still got my PS3.

Who here thinks Sony has a pact with Naughty Dog? They probably can't reveal PS4 prior the last of us's release.

Uncharted 4 is on its way. Not as a launch title though.

1. Oculus Rift costs $300.
2. Sony has a 3D Helmet that costs $800+.

No way is Sony bundling a helmet rather than beefing the hardware. There will be two SKUs, one being basic and other with beefed up HDD (and possibly PS+ subscription).

Ain't no way Sony going to take a loss on a hardware anymore due to silly VR Helmets. They'll just have a deal and make Oculus Rift compatible or something.

Oculus Rift is also an independently funded/kickstarter project. I can't say this for 100% certainty (and neither can it assuredly be disproved) but I don't believe its a stretch to think a company like Sony could pull off an affordable VR helmet that is as functional and more affordable than Oculus Rift.

No offense but Sony might as well introduce one SKU if a free PS+ subscription and beefed up HD is the only added value they can offer for an extra $100. It lacks the "WOW" factor to truly capture peoples attention.

When though? Unless Microsoft announce something specific.

They would probably hold their own event of sorts before, if only to announce a name and show the console, with E3 being for the blow out.

It really does no one outside apple gets any sort of attention of special events. How much attention did the VITA event get in the main stream press and TV coverage? Spike TV would be more than happy to help co advertise the world premier showing of either console on a major cable network in prime time.

Well that event was in Japan, held by SCEJ. If there is a PS4 event before e3 it will probably be similar and not reveal as much as the E3 event and would be more of an introduction like the Vita one was.

At the end of the day E3 will still be where the majority of things is revealed for both and the one intended to grasp a wider audience of viewers. But I can see both doing a special event for an introductory reveal and with an appended "see more at E3 " at the end.

yurinka

Sony should think about dropping the price of the ps3 to 199 like right now. If they wait to long that magic number wont has a big effect as it normally would because the focus would be on the ps4. At the very least bring that EU 16gb version to the US at 199.
I bet they'll announce both PS3 and Vita price cuts in their PlayStation Destination event (Feb). The upcoming 2013 games and PS+ would do the job for these consoles during 2013. So they're able to focus on PS4 stuff since then in addition to a couple of bigg unannounced Vita games.

Mr.Fresh

Why would Sony announcing a PS4 make The Last of Us , Beyond, etc bomb? It isn't like the moment they announce PS4 we all will go out and sell our PS3's. God of War 2 did fine and PS3 was already released.

I'm seriously thinking about buying my first day one console right now.

My last sony machine was a psOne, which served me well, even though my ps1 library was, and still is, meager.
I skipped the ps2(yeah I know..), and ended up buying a 360 in mid 2009, purchase which I regret greatly.
I can't stand paying for thin air, and being handled as a second rate customer by microsoft.

I kind of scared though, what if the ps4 hardware is faulty or something? My early adopter experience may quickly spiral down to a nightmare, like it was for RROD victims.

If the rumored specs turn out to be true, there most likely won't be any severe issues. It's mostly proven, off the shelf hardware. Unless they majorly mess up the cooling system (which never happened for Sony), it should be as solid as any PC you can buy today.

I'd just like to point out that I specifically remember seeing this exact argument when I spoke out about how 3D was an unnecessary addition to gaming/television, and we all know how well that turned out.

This is much much much different than that. 3DTV is cool but it doesn't hold the same power as Virtual Reality with advanced head tracking technology does. Such a technology has truly never existed except in cinema. 3D has been around since Star Wars and the cheap red and blue glasses so it brand is already at a disadvantage.

quest

Not Banned from OT
E3 attendance was under 46,000 last year. In 2005, it was 70,000. Both were aired on TV/viewable by those not attending. It just... doesn't seem as influential now.

Big difference between G4TV and spike TV in that coverage. G4TV was not carried by all cable providers and was a game only network. Spike TV is a major cable network carried by everyone in one of the lower tiers. I don't remember 2005 making my local news but the last few have had a segment on it.

Going on previous form, Sony prefer to play the "fear, uncertainty, doubt" demand spoiling tactic against competitors that launch earlier than them.

So my guess is that the big announcement will be a larger than normal price cut for the PS3 and a few hints dropped about the PS4 with nothing of substance revealed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is much much much different than that. 3DTV is cool but it doesn't hold the same power as Virtual Reality with advanced head tracking technology does. Such a technology has truly never existed except in cinema. 3D has been around since Star Wars and the cheap red and blue glasses so it brand is already at a disadvantage.

I highly disagree. You could also have replaced "3D" with "Kinect" as well.

Either way, I don't see Sony focusing on a headset for this next system. Probably the one after when it's affordable.

Oculus Rift is also an independently funded/kickstarter project. I can't say this for 100% certainty (and neither can it assuredly be disproved) but I don't believe its a stretch to think a company like Sony could pull off an affordable VR helmet that is as functional and more affordable than Oculus Rift.

No offense but Sony might as well introduce one SKU if a free PS+ subscription and beefed up HD is the only added value they can offer for an extra $100. It lacks the "WOW" factor to truly capture peoples attention.

So the hardware and games are not adding to the WOW Factor?

Sony will never pull off an affordable VR Helmet. http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...0153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666503981

yurinka

It really does no one outside apple gets any sort of attention of special events. How much attention did the VITA event get in the main stream press and TV coverage? Spike TV would be more than happy to help co advertise the world premier showing of either console on a major cable network in prime time.
Just Apple fans care about Apple announcement events, like only Sony fans (and some other gamers) care about Sony announcement events. And people here in Europe (and I assume that same goes worldwide outside US) doesn't know what Spike is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY0T07hxJYM
I think VR helmets are still too weird stuff and have both to decrease their price and improve their quality (experience from Move/Vita for head tracking would help them to do some cool stuff).
I bet than a future cheaper, improved version of this would be PS4's Eyetoy/Singstar/Move-ish push for the middle of the PS4 lifecycle.
Big difference between G4TV and spike TV in that coverage. G4TV was not carried by all cable providers and was a game only network. Spike TV is a major cable network carried by everyone in one of the lower tiers. I don't remember 2005 making my local news but the last few have had a segment on it.

None of them are aired here in Spain, so I assume that also aren't aired in the rest of Europe.

Watch Oculus Rift impressions. A VR helmet doesn't need to be included with every system because you can still have a similar experience without it. However, the hype around a VR helmet would eventually grow so great that everyone would need to have one. Such a product speaks for itself. The word of mouth would be insane, especially since it originally starts out as a semi-exclusive addition. After a few price drops you can bundle the VR headset with every system, this should only take two years.

And can I still wear glasses comfortably whilst using a VR helmet?

UberTag

I want Sony to do something that ISN'T them forfeiting the North American market to Microsoft.

Releasing a system at technical parity at a release date on par with or shortly after the next Xbox arrives at a price point that Microsoft can easily beat and at a disadvantage in terms of both market share momentum and financial stability is doing just that.

Forfeiting the market.

You guys are deluding yourselves if you think they're doing anything but.

This industry needs healthy competition in order to thrive.

I wonder if the PS4 will be released this year in Europe or only in Japan and North America.

I am guessing NA only this year, if they release in Japan first (lol) they will be screwed

This interview sounds fake though...why would a higher up be giving hints about PS4, when Kaz said nothing during CES? hhmmm

So the hardware and games are not adding to the WOW Factor?

Sony will never pull off an affordable VR Helmet. http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/sto...0153&langId=200&productId=8198552921666503981

The games will. Nobody but tech enthusiasts gives a shit about the tech. Sony will launch with a gimmick, you can bet on it. How else will they differentiate from Kinect and the Gamepad? Sony can copy, enhance, and launch with the motion control tech of last gen, but that is hardly exciting. They can launch with the eye-toy, and again that is hardly exciting. In fact, if Sony is considering those two options, I would hope they decide to be a strictly enthusiast console that comes with a console, controller, and headset for multiplayer. Unfortunately, that is more wishful than the idea of a VR helmet is. Sony will launch with a gimmick, I repeat. A VR helmet would be amazing for the enthusiast gamer, and the casuals looking for the next new gadget. Its my belief that whoever capitalizes on the VR thing first will completely dominate for the foreseeable future. Its wishful thinking on my end, but idc, I'm probably going to be disappointed. I would be equally as disappointed if Sony forces stupid gimmicks like Kinect, motion controls, or a Gamepad on me.

.la1n

Nice, although I have a feeling I won't even be finished with my PS3 backlog by the time PS4 is out to buy, fine by me will just be a late adopter like I was this generation.

I want Sony to do something that ISN'T them forfeiting the North American market to Microsoft.

Releasing a system at technical parity at a release date on par with or shortly after the next Xbox arrives at a price point that Microsoft can easily beat and at a disadvantage in terms of both market share momentum and financial stability is doing just that.

Forfeiting the market.

You guys are deluding yourselves if you think they're doing anything but.

This industry needs healthy competition in order to thrive.
PS is still very much alive in NA. It really isn't that much of a worry.

Iacobellis

any chances of this happening again? What did people think of that show?

I didn't see it when it happened in 2005, but it seems like Microsoft got it right. MTV, The Killers, Elijah Wood, Pimp My Ride; They knew how to capture the teen and young adult market instantaneously. I don't think Sony did anything of this caliber for the PS3, just the usual E3 press conference. If I remember correctly, the one for 2005 was mainly just spec talk, and the promise of release in Spring 2006.

Oh, and The Bravery was in there as well. MVP Baseball 2005, forever in my heart!

Corto

And can I still wear glasses comfortably whilst using a VR helmet?

No. It would be difficult to fit the helmet over those comfortably without breaking the immersion effect. They say they will add some kind of diopter adjustments but those won't help with astigmatism. Time to save for a LASIK. ;) If I weren't such a chicken I would.

I didn't see it when it happened in 2005, but it seems like Microsoft got it right. MTV, The Killers, Elijah Wood, Pimp My Ride; They knew how to capture the teen and young adult market instantaneously. I don't think Sony did anything of this caliber for the PS3, just the usual E3 press conference. If I remember correctly, the one for 2005 was mainly just spec talk, and the promise of release in Spring 2006.

yea you are right, the e3 2005 conference was just smoke and mirrors to kill the MS hype machine.

May 9: The Last of Us for PS4 announced.

a real HD version, running at 60 FPS and 1080p with 2XMSAA. do want

Iacobellis

yea you are right, the e3 2005 conference was just smoke and mirrors to kill the MS hype machine.

I skimmed through it on YouTube a little while ago, and Phil Harrison seemed like a cool dude. Ever since he went to Microsoft, he's kind of faded away, you don't hear much about him anymore.

quest

Not Banned from OT
They should really target Europe early if they can.

If they can they will. But if they can only launch in 1 area it will be the US. Launching a console in the spring in the US is sending it to die. Now if they can't launch any where in 2013 Europe will be first then japan then the US in the fall.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really wanted to get a new TV, knowing my luck I'll buy a new TV & they'll announce it's coming september time when I don't have the money
what are the chances it'll end up 2014 in the UK?

I skimmed through it on YouTube a little while ago, and Phil Harrison seemed like a cool dude. Ever since he went to Microsoft, he's kind of faded away, you don't hear much about him anymore.

he was out of control at Sony. Funding shit like Lair, Heavenly Sword, Home, Genji 2 - Revenge of the giant enemy crabs and more.

Top Bottom