• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN begins purging talent today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that that he is still around. Either he doesn't want to be bought out or doesn't make enough dough to be worth cutting (which I 100% doubt since he has been with ESPN since the start)

I'm sure being at the company he built and working on the stories he wants to report on mean a lot to him.

It's blowing my mind that fucking Greeny is the highest paid anchor they've got. I would've thought it was Stephen A. or something.

The people running ESPN's business decisions must all be brain dead.

You can put a sock puppet in Mike Greenberg's place and it wouldn't be a loss for Mike and Mike.

Josh5890

I'm sure being at the company he built and working on the stories he wants to report on mean a lot to him.

The people running ESPN's business decisions must all be brain dead.

You can put a sock puppet in Mike Greenberg's place and it wouldn't be a loss for Mike and Mike.

No doubt about that. Bob Ley is one of the few good guys left in mainstream media today.

aa2Qf1F.png

https://twitter.com/RealMikeWilbon/status/857448019855323136

She get fired too and just have not said anything? or Wilbon maybe is wrong..shrug.

I wonder if he meant Brett McMurphy. Britt tweeted earlier that she'll be at work tomorrow.

SwolBro

Banned
ESPN hasn't been relevant for a while.

The NHL, and Gary Betman continue to look like brilliant fucks by flipping ESPN off.

Jacce

Banned

The NHL, and Gary Betman continue to look like brilliant fucks by flipping ESPN off.

I love the NHL but lets be honest, ESPN is far more relevant than the NHL is. NHL is a niche sport in America compared to the likes of NFL & NBA which is ESPN's bread and butter.

NHL would be in a much healthier position if it was still on ESPN.

Jacce

Banned
The layoffs suck but ESPN didn't focus on getting rid of NHL guys because "lololololol ESPN is out to get NHL. NHL is king and too good for them!" it is because the NHL is without question the least popular of the 4 major sports, that is all there is to it.

No need to take a fanboyish sort of attitude about this. I love hockey but there is no reason to keep your heads in the sand about its much smaller appeal compared to the bigger leagues.

PillarEN

All ESPN needs to do is trot out Barry Melrose once and a while to the GOAT theme and they have covered their bases.

Works for me.

Oh the nostalgia is too much on this one. Fuck. Whoever is carrying the Stanley Cup finals in the US (NBC I guess) needs to buy this theme. All the good US NHL TV themes come from the 90s

MisterR

This post is wrong in so many ways. NHL not being on ESPN has marginalized the sport so much in this country. Most people in the US don't remember hockey even exists at this point.

ESPN is basically dropping the NHL for AP reporters because of its irrelevancy when compared to the other major sports.

I love the NHL, love it, but cmon

Azzurri

Com'on, NHL not being on ESPN has hurt them more than you think. NHL is the least watched sport outta the big 4, hell I wouldn't be surprised if MLS passes them eventually.

There is a reason they let go most of the Hockey guys, not because ESPN has a vendetta against them, it's because people that watch ESPN and I would say a majority of sports fans don't care for Hockey; well , in US at least, Canada is a different story.

LionPride

Banned
The solution is pretty simple. Get rid of MNF. Asking the NFL to schedule better games for that slot won't solve for the fact that they're competing with local networks. It's just too much money for the product they get.

They need to get rid of it and double down on CFB, NBA, and other emerging sports (soccer, e-sports, etc.)
One if those things ain't a sport

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Bucci sounds like he's done in July.

Also how does Teddy Atlas survive these cuts. Worst of the worst.

Hari Seldon

Com'on, NHL not being on ESPN has hurt them more than you think. NHL is the least watched sport outta the big 4, hell I wouldn't be surprised if MLS passes them eventually.

There is a reason they let go most of the Hockey guys, not because ESPN has a vendetta against them, it's because people that watch ESPN and I would say a majority of sports fans don't care for Hockey; well , in US at least, Canada is a different story.

NHL makes most of its money from ticket sales. Unlike the NFL with declining ticket sales, the NHL is not going to be hurt as much when the cable bubble pops (and it is definitely going to pop).

cwmartin

One if those things ain't a sport

You won't be the first or last person to undervalue it because it doesn't fit your sports worldview.

The amount of viewers, potential ad revenue, and rampant growing fandom are real, and its no surprise serious sports management is getting involved.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
NHL makes most of its money from ticket sales. Unlike the NFL with declining ticket sales, the NHL is not going to be hurt as much when the cable bubble pops (and it is definitely going to pop).

Are you really trying to compare the two sports as in terms of money, market share, and mind share they aren't even in the same stratosphere?

Jacce

Banned

The fact it gets most of its money from tickets is not a good thing. That is a sign of its irrelevance and lack of popularity compared to the NFL and NBA.

It gets most of its money from tickets because no one watches the NHL (compared to the NFL or NBA).

You won't be the first or last person to undervalue it because it doesn't fit your sports worldview.

The amount of viewers, potential ad revenue, and rampant growing fandom are real, and its no surprise serious sports management is getting involved.

We'll see what the ceiling is for that. Even as someone who games, the last thing I ever want to do is watch other people play. Doesn't translate from sports.

The cable bubble popping is not because people don't want to watch sports on tv. The NFL and NBA are equipped (and already in the process of) adapting to a cord cut society. You have the NFL putting games on twitter, you have the NFL,NBA and MLB all selling access to their season long televised games via the internet, no cable required.

The fact that the NHL makes most of its money from tickets and very little from tv is not something to brag about, it means that the sport is very regional and doesn't have a lot of widespread appeal.

cwmartin

We'll see what the ceiling is for that. Even as someone who games, the last thing I ever want to do is watch other people play. Doesn't translate from sports.

You aren't the target audience in that case, or don't play the games that are televised competitively. I wouldn't want to watch anyone play Breath of the Wild either.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/league-of-legends-popularity-world-series-nba

But it seems the ceiling is already higher than both MLB and NFL, two sports I already love to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom