• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phone Losers of America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else familiar with PLA?

I found about it relatively recently. I get the impression that they were actually a decent-sized group of phone hackers in the 90s, but PLA now is basically a single guy who calls himself Brad Carter who runs a prank phone call show.

For years about once every few months I would randomly watch one of his YouTube videos and end up binging them for hours. I knew he had a podcast but never checked it out for whatever reason, until last year when I was looking for stuff to listen to at work. Now I often fall asleep listening to it, which apparently is pretty common amongst his listeners, he has an oddly soothing voice.

This is the first video of his I ever saw, which I found hilarious (note I was in my late teens when I first found this guy). He takes over incoming calls at a Walmart and just says outrageous and crass things to incoming callers. He has a few "genres" of calls that he does often, including my favorites where listeners provide him numbers for apartment complexes and he, again, calls and says outrageous and crass things. Probably his most unique prank is one where listeners leave notes on cars that say "Sorry I dinged your car" with his number.

Brad is a really interesting character. He's pretty open about his life, and wrote an autobiography available on the Phone Losers website (I bought the Kindle version but I'm pretty sure there's a free PDF available). He's done some terrible stuff in his life, he openly admits much of the book is bullshit but he lived for years off stolen credit card numbers and used some pretty clever scams to rip people off over the phone. He often comes across as a sociopath, living like a hermit, his only interaction with other people with people he's cheating over a phone.

But he has a strange code to how far he'll go with messing with people. He associates with other prank callers who will do some really shitty "pranks" like calling numbers from a vet and telling people their pets have died, or just spewing racist and misogynist language*. He refuses to do stuff like that, and typically makes sure to explain to people that he's a prank caller if they become truly upset. He seems legitimately disappointed with himself if he makes someone cry or ruins someone's day. A successful prank call in his mind should leave the recipient befuddled and give them a bizarre story to tell, not torment them.

It's just a really interesting juxtaposition to me. At times I feel guilty giving attention to someone so juvenile and callous, at others it's touching how much he appreciates his audience and how much he clearly likes it when a call ends with the recipient getting as much of a kick out of it as he does. Sometimes I feel for Brad, he's sort of clinging to this outdated mode of communication that he's obsessed with even though the world has moved. Then I remember that he's almost certainly ruined lives with his credit card theft and other scams.

I realize it's really selfish to give attention to this clearly faulted individual, but like I said I find the whole thing really fascinating. As pathetic as his life seems (you get the impression he truly is obsessed with phones and prank calls, and has seemingly only had retail jobs despite being in his 40s) it was definitely unique. And again, though I understand how horrible the consequences are part of me can't help but admire some of the schemes he came up with to rip people off.

Anyway, I Googled site:neogaf.com "phone losers" and was kind of shocked to see only one reference. He's obscure, most of his videos have fewer than 10,000 videos despite his posters them for years, but I figured there'd be at least a few people familiar with him here.

Curious whether there's any other listeners here, or what people think if they weren't previously familiar.

Darmstadtium

Bandwagoner
This guy is pretty good. I came across this section of Youtube a while back after looking at prank videos. I had no idea that Phone Losers of America used to actually be a big group though. I figured it was just what he called his Youtube channel.

Ploid 3.0

I've been listening to these for years. I used to go to sleep to their podcasts, after I used old black and white muffled audio tv shows, and before I discovered ASMR. I like the car notes the most.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This thread title made me instinctively check down the couch cushions and side door pocket of my car. But it was on the downstairs vanity.

koolaroo

I love the pla been listening for like 5 years or something. I really like his calls because he calls people to annoy or anger them rather than cause harm. One technique he uses is he will call someone and immediately tell them to hang up ex. https://youtu.be/Dmu0ZlqThHE
He also calls up plannet fitness gmys because they have this thing called the lunk alarm which is supposed to play when a member is being a "lunk" but it sounds like an air siren so he calls as the "corporate office" and tells them to reset it by leaving it on for 60 seconds ex. https://youtu.be/T8tn0S7QVKM
And last but not least my favorite call from him where he calls up a family and tells them the cruise ship room has been moved to the basement because pauly shore took their room https://youtu.be/hnkCjdtDgIQ if you listen to no other call listen to this one.

It's always so pathetic when people bump their own thread. Clearly not enough people care about what you posted. Read your OP and meh.

I posted it really late last night and thought (correctly, obviously, so I'm not sure what your deal is) that it would get more interest if posted at a time when more people are awake.

I'll have to check out Longmont Potion Castle, I've never heard of it. The guy in the OP used to be part of a group called Prank Call Nation and while they have disbanded most still do their own thing. But like I said in the OP many of the other hosts are much more mean-spirited, and instead of concocting bizarre scenarios they just say racist and sexist shit and that's the whole joke.

EdmondD

This reminds of this guy that got pranked and went crazy screaming "meet me somewhere!" Then they replay his call back to him and he starts arguing with himself and keeps saying "meet me somewhere" It used to make me laugh so hard. https://youtu.be/SgF42jlEEIs

I got halfway thru the Walmart one, but eh, I don't really like ones where the prankster is insulting and abrasive. I like LPC cuz he's mostly absurd instead of insulting to people. For the most part he keeps his tone very professional but he says weird shit like trying to get someone to come to UPS to pick up 70 lbs of raw squid. People still get really mad though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUkXn_4ZFJY

He's been doing it since like the early 1990s at least. Some of them are calls where he calls two stores asks them something weird and then puts one on hold and then connects the two stores together, and then to two stores start talking to each other. Sometimes they get really pissed at each other, or sometimes they figure out that they're being pranked.

Poppy

I love the pla been listening for like 5 years or something. I really like his calls because he calls people to annoy or anger them rather than cause harm. One technique he uses is he will call someone and immediately tell them to hang up ex. https://youtu.be/Dmu0ZlqThHE
He also calls up plannet fitness gmys because they have this thing called the lunk alarm which is supposed to play when a member is being a "lunk" but it sounds like an air siren so he calls as the "corporate office" and tells them to reset it by leaving it on for 60 seconds ex. https://youtu.be/T8tn0S7QVKM

ROFL i literally WORKED in IT in the planet fitness corporate office i think during the time this shit was made, and i had to call like every single one of our clubs for some records bullshit, and i can totally believe all these goddamn club workers just doing whatever you tell them to with basically no proof of who you are lolol

thats too funny, thank god the lunk alarm got some kind of positive use in the world

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
In work ATM but love a good prank, will have a listen at lunch and on the way home, thanks OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom