• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: A disturbing sex trend called 'stealthing' is on the rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

TAMPA --- A disturbing new bedroom trend involves men secretly taking off their condoms during consensual sex, and sometimes later bragging about it online.

The nonconsensual practice, which is called "stealthing," is on the rise, according to a new report in Columbia Journal of Gender and Law.

Lead author Alexandra Brodsky said while the law is largely silent on the practice of "stealthing," she believes it should be considered a form of sexual assault and could violate several civil and criminal laws.

In the report, Brodsky profiles a doctoral student named Rebecca who works for a local rape crisis hotline. Rebecca, who was the victim of stealthing as a freshman, said she hears about stealthing from students and says many callers start with, ‘I’m not sure this is rape, but…’

Kathleen Kempke, with the Crisis Center of Tampa Bay, says she's aware of the trend.

“I have had other cases that I've been very similar to this,” said Kempke.

As far as the crisis center is concerned, a person who feels violated is a victim, she said.

“And they deserve the same kind of services and support that a victim that is raped by a stranger or a raped by an acquaintance would get,” said Kempke.

The study also pointed to online forums where men often brag about removing a condom during sex or offer advice on how to get away with it. Some of the men in the forum have even suggested it's their right to, "spread one's seed".

As far as using existing statutes to prosecute stealthers in Florida, “As of yet, that statute does not exist,” said Tampa Defense Attorney Hunter Chamberlain.

Chamberlain says stealthing, while despicable, could be difficult to prove as a sexual assault, since the sex itself was initially consensual.

“To change this from a legal behavior to an illegal behavior, the legislature or the courts are going to have to further define what consent means,” said Chamberlain.

The study concludes existing laws don't specifically cover stealthing, despite the heightened risk of pregnancy and even public health risk associated with spreading sexually transmitted diseases.

Brodsky concludes that new protections should be in place for those who are victims of the practice.

"Ultimately, a new tort for “stealthing” is necessary both to provide victims with a more viable cause of action and to reflect better the harms wrought by nonconsensual condom removal," she said in the paper.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...g-sex-trend-called-stealthing-rise/100921352/

First I heard of this was a short while ago from a co-worker. I was surprised and disturbed to hear it.

RS4-

Charge em and throw them in jail. It's disgusting.

Edit - I've heard about it over the years, but yeah, still fucked up.

Jindrax

Now this is a weird trend...

"LOL guys I sneakily took off my condom and opened up my risk to contracting HIV and getting her pregnant and paying for her and a kid for the rest of my life! AWESOMMMEEEE"

Yeah I saw this on facebook a few days ago and it both baffled and shocked me. Why would anyone do this? Like "har har, I accidentally might have gotten a girl pregnant"? Da fuck?

Chamberlain says stealthing, while despicable, could be difficult to prove as a sexual assault, since the sex itself was initially consensual.

This is hardly new though.

Even if sex itself is initially consensual, anything that is done during the act without the consent of the other person can be considered sexual assault. If sex is initiated and one of them asks to stop and the other refuses to, that's easily considered assault. This is the same thing but worse: non-consensual sexual activity without the other person even knowing, let alone consenting.

commedieu

Banned
Yeah I saw this on facebook a few days ago and it both baffled and shocked me. Why would anyone do this? Like "har har, I accidentally might have gotten a girl pregnant"? Da fuck?

It's the 4chan generation. It's for kudos from online friends.. but no one thinks about the real world consequences.

Why not just lie about it...

depths20XX

I don't get why you would want to risk getting her pregnant. Also, she's gonna know after you blow in her...not exactly stealthy.

azyless

I feel like I've heard about this years ago (maybe it was specifically about men wanting to transmit HIV though, and not a general "trend"). Despicable practice.

I'm pretty sure that at least in some places this already counts as a type of rape or assault. If it's not, it certainly should be.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nonconsensual is nonconsensual.

The study also pointed to online forums where men often brag about removing a condom during sex or offer advice on how to get away with it. Some of the men in the forum have even suggested it's their right to, "spread one's seed".

And I hope you get fucked over doubly with child support.

finley83

Banned
Absolutely rape, no two ways about it. If you've agreed to wear a condom then taking it off means it's become non consensual.

I'm pretty sure that's one of the things Julian Assange is wanted for.

mdubs

Banned
Pretty sure this would be perfectly triable as sexual assault in Canada.

Maybe this is a problem with US laws like the article seems to suggest

was puncturing condoms with needless a trend some time ago or am im mistaking a couple cases with a trend sprinkled with fussy memory?

either way that's so fucking stupid

edit: btw guys, the stupidity just reminded me of it. not trying to start some "poor us men, am cry" kind of bs.

Volimar

I don't know if you know this.

But most people are idiots.

This statement with that look of disapproval in your avatar is a perfect match.

was puncturing condoms with needless a trend some time ago or am im mistaking a couple cases with a trend sprinkled with fussy memory?

This is one of those things that men exaggerate as happening all the time like "this one guy I know who totally got a false rape report against him. It's so hard for us men, you guys."

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Also read about this on Facebook. Apparently there's forums for stealthing. Wouldn't surprise me if these people are also MRA.

MRA's typically don't get laid, I thought that was the core issue for them?

Anyway, this is fucking terrible, what kind of asshole does that? It's a huge breach of trust firstly, and then there are all the other dangers involved.

Kyuur

People are fucking stupid.

This does make me wonder though, could a woman be charged with some form of sexual assault or rape if she told someone she was on birth control but was not? Would be interesting to look at existing cases, especially in context of child support and custody.

I saw like 20 articles on this, as far as I can tell their evidence that it's some sort of "new trend" is from posts online?

Because I'm pretty sure guys have been doing this forever.

It's a legitimate concern, article just comes off as click-baity *shrug*

So I'm pretty sure the GOP will take issue with this being considered a crime or even unethical. Anyone wanna take me up on that?

Obscura

Now this is a weird trend...

"LOL guys I sneakily took off my condom and opened up my risk to contracting HIV and getting her pregnant and paying for her and a kid for the rest of my life! AWESOMMMEEEE"

All that needs to be said.

I'd be surprised if I wasn't so used to people going out of their way to fuck themselves over.

Poppy

remember the SVU episode where uncle jesse was a serial offender of that?

anyway how about if you do this you get your dick cut off in a guillotine you stupid rapist fuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom