• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump talks tough on NAFTA for eleven hours and then backs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
11:30 AM Eastern: Trump wants to threaten to pull out of NAFTA

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/26/white-house-nafta-withdraw-trump-237632

10:30 PM Eastern:

C-YwAvGXoAE0tyT.jpg

We went from threat to surrender in 11 hours, mmmmmmmmmm, great negotiator.

Crocodile

MAXIMUM CUCKAGE

LMAO LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Who knew trade deals could be so hard?

This was for the best though. Bullet dodged

theWB27

He's getting shit done at a rate other presidents wish they could do. 12 hours to make a deal this historic is monumental.

Eila

Maybe you could have saved that so the peso didn't crater? Can't believe nobody has told the guy to shut up yet.

This is going to be called a victory by commentators in the media though. They bring up the whole "he takes an extreme position so he has a place to back away from/art of the deal lol" narrative any time he says something stupid and outlandish and this just kind of looks like that strategy from the outside.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
The best deals. All the time.

I wonder what the PredictIt would be on a major change to NAFTA in the next two years.

He really does just agree with the last person/people he talks with.

I kept hoping that Obama would have installed that secret tunnel from the WH to his house in DC, and just be the last person Trump talks to before he does anything.

RDreamer

I like that this comes right after Trudeau confirmed in a roundabout way that he believes the last person that talks to him, basically.

Slayven

This is going to be called a victory by commentators in the media though. They bring up the whole "he takes an extreme position so he has a place to back away from/art of the deal lol" narrative any time he says something stupid and outlandish and this just kind of looks like that strategy from the outside.

Or if you are stupid. which sadly too many are

Ogodei

mainstream media hasn't bought into it yet. They'd like to, they'd really like to (see Van Jones), but even the MSM isn't stupid enough to suck up to somebody who's constantly spitting in their face.

If he didn't go out of his way to antagonize them, they'd be all over him.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, it depends on what Trump got out of moderating his terms.

If, for example, he was able to get favorable concessions in exchange for not withdrawing completely, then he basically got it for free on a bluff.

On the other hand, if the US didn't get anything favorable, then it was all just a bunch of hot air and a waste of time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
what a dumbass. Of course everyone knows its Pence and the other people in control. While hearing trump being an idiot is amusing, its a hollow emotion just like the people who support him by nature of his persona

Umm.. that is good negotiating?
His end game was obviously not to terminate NAFTA.

yeah i am actually inclined to agree with this

seems like he's getting what he wants

e: for those saying not good negotiation, the threat was put in place so that the other leaders would agree to renegotiation of NAFTA terms, which is what Trump wanted, more benefits for America. It remains to be seen if this will amount to anything, but he has gotten term renegotiaion on the table, so how is this not a success for him, if that is indeed what he planned?

e: for those saying not good negotiation, the threat was put in place so that the other leaders would agree to renegotiation of NAFTA terms, which is what Trump wanted, more benefits for America. It remains to be seen if this will amount to anything, but he has gotten term renegotiaion on the table, so how is this not a success for him, if that is indeed what he planned?

It could go either way but we won't know for sure until we know the deets of the actual agreement.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Did he actually plan this though? I feel people give his "planning" and "strategy" far too much credit for what seems like wild flailing that occasionally does something not totally stupid.

He's not getting renegotiation. It's tell him what he wants to hear while they make plans to expand their trade with other countries in the background due to his volatility.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The best deals. All the time.

I wonder what the PredictIt would be on a major change to NAFTA in the next two years.

I'd put money on any changes being more beneficial to Mexico and Canada than to the US, given Trump's dealmaking skill.

It could go either way but we won't know for sure until we know the deets of the actual agreement.

yeah exactly, but it is on the table now and that is all that matters at the moment

Did he actually plan this though? I feel people give his "planning" and "strategy" far too much credit for what seems like wild flailing that occasionally does something not totally stupid.

it doesn't make a difference if it was planned or not

trump has been spouting nonsense about NAFTA since his campaign, and how America is not getting a good enough deal

now, he has done something about it, whether through coincidence or planning, this is the result

I would call this a win for him, like it or not

He's not getting renegotiation. It's tell him what he wants to hear while they make plans to expand their trade with other countries in the background due to his volatility.

this says renegotiation is on the table, which is what he wanted from the beginning

i dunno if there are any other sources that say something different than what the white house put out, but if that statement above is true, it could happen

A journalist on twitter (whose name I can't remember) brought up a good point on this: it isn't clear if there was ever really a threat to leave NAFTA, or if it was just something the Bannon wing leaked to the media in order to maintain the appearance that they are relevant and/or box in Trump on the issue.

cameron

Even though Trudeau used to be a schoolteacher, teaching Donald about anything couldn't have been easy.

Threatening to withdraw from NAFTA isn't a necessary requirement for renegotiation. It's just hostile and dumb.

yeah exactly, but it is on the table now and that is all that matters at the moment

it doesn't make a difference if it was planned or not

trump has been spouting nonsense about NAFTA since his campaign, and how America is not getting a good enough deal

now, he has done something about it, whether through coincidence or planning, this is the result

I would call this a win for him, like it or not

this says renegotiation is on the table, which is what he wanted from the beginning

i dunno if there are any other sources that say something different than what the white house put out, but if that statement above is true, it could happen

What seriously happened was that Trump had already set up the appts to talk with these two leaders today to talk about whatever. Everything else is for show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom