• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Not going to blindly buy a game which I would mostly play online, because Nintendo still hasn't detailed their online system, so it's wait for me.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Put yourself in the shoes of people who bought a Nintendo system for the first time - or in years.

They discover Nintendo through Zelda BotW and Mario Kart Deluxe - two of Nintendo best games ever made.
How will it feel? I'm looking forward to reading post MK launch reactions on GAF from such people.

Luschient

It's an awful SP game. The single player content is beat each cup and that's about it

giphy.gif

nah man, the sp content is fun as hell

I hope playing on a single joycon isn't too bad. I'm ready to try some four player split screen.

if Fast racing RMX is any indication, single joy cons should be fine for a racing game. Of course, you could use tilt controls too. I would recommend getting some of those controller case accessories for the joy cons though for the ergonomics.

I have two sets of joycons and a Pro controller. I also bought the Surge grip kit. I figure this allows me to put two joycons in the Surge grips, two joycons on a standard dogface Nintendo grip, and use the Pro controller for a pretty decent 4 player solution. Not entirely equal options, but it should maximize comfort.

RedZaraki

Banned
Put yourself in the shoes of people who bought a Nintendo system for the first time - or in years.

They discover Nintendo through Zelda BotW and Mario Kart Deluxe - two of Nintendo best games ever made.
How will it feel? I'm looking forward to reading post MK launch reactions on GAF from such people.

They're feeling like it all looks nice but you can't find a Switch to buy because they're always out of stock in 5 minutes so I'll go buy GTA5 or CoD or some other game that IS in stock.

Cartho

You'll get one from me! I've only ever owned a gameboy colour and played the seven shades of shit out of Pokemon. I've dabbled with emulators on PC but, again, only to play Pokemon. Switch is my first piece of Nintendo Hardware since the GBC and BOTW was my first Zelda. Been totally blown away by it so far and very much looking forward to MK8D. I've played MK on friends' 3DSs and Wii. Was a hell of a lot of fun there.

To be honest I've never seen any console that have such a ridiculous first year line up like this, only two months since launch and it already got two first party games with 90+ meta scores

Switch is kind of a cheat since Wii U was almost a beta system. If you skipped the Wii U, the Switch first party line up is unbelievable for a launch year. If you had a Wii U, this year is still better than the last couple of Wii U years and you won't complain.

They're feeling like it all looks nice but you can't find a Switch to buy because they're always out of stock in 5 minutes so I'll go buy GTA5 or CoD or some other game that IS in stock.

This is not how humans make purchasing decisions.

first two exclusives are 10/10 entries in beloved series

small wonder Switch is moving units so fast

That may not have been the best word choice considering the two games we're talking about.

But they're effectively exclusives when you consider how little the Wii U sold.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

first two exclusives are 10/10 entries in beloved series

small wonder Switch is moving units so fast

This is gonna be the first game in my life I double dip on. Fuck the Wii U. Gonna suck with this and Tetris releasing at the same time tho,, and I just started Persona 5 and still have stuff to do in Zelda... Being a gamer right now is so good that its bad.

Whompa02

Why so salty? Thats just some lame shit you are posting and this kind of conspiracy you see is some trump level shit. Lol.

Or I just see people giving companies like Capcom the same shit for the same thing. Super, Ultra, Resident Evil HD Remake Release.

I'm just saying it's not surprising that A: reviews score the same game high and B: that even if the original game had faults in their mind, that they still score it super high regardless, "because Nintendo"

No need to be upset. I'm definitely not. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. Lol.

Yeah it's a great conspiracy. Or they understand that Mario Kart is really a multiplayer game and don't deduct points from it like they didn't for Overwatch.

Ah the old, "Playing a multiplayer game for the single player. pffftt." comment. Weird how a game like Battlefront 2 now has a dedicated single player, or Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, after so many people said the same thing.

Raven77

So if I still play the Wii U version and have all the DLC and don't plan to play online or play the Battle Mode much, do you think this would be worth a purchase?

kdoll08

Some friends and I are getting together the day after this comes out for an old school Mario Kart party. We have 2 switches, is there anyway we could do 8 player local? Everything I have seen is 2 players per switch whether you are online or local. We don't have 4 switches unfortunately lol.

ZeroX03

Banned
giphy.gif

nah man, the sp content is fun as hell

The SP content is basic as hell. CTR had adventure mode, hub world, boss races and challenges. Diddy Kong Racing had similar. Sonic Racing Transformed had campaign mode with a whole bunch of different styles of racing, unlocks, difficulties and branching (and playable with friends IIRC). The genre has had superior SP offerings for twenty years. And if you want to branch out into realistic (visually) racing games then there's so much more.

I totally understanding looking at this as a MP-only game and not caring about the lack of SP content. But I can't see how someone could look at these titles from a SP perspective and think it's great.

Nah you're wrong, Unlocking 200cc and mirror cups was super fun in MK8.

I also like to beat all the courses in time trial.

I sold my copy of MK8 before they added 200cc, but I honestly don't think doing the same races for a 4th time at a faster speed would change my opinion here.

MilkyJoe

Sounds like they did a great job with battle mode. I told myself I wouldn't get a switch until Mario Odyssey came out, but it's getting difficult to wait...

In the games industry, a game does not need to be perfect to get a 10. There are many flaws in BotW if you start looking, but the package as a whole is so incredibly fun that these can be overlooked. I think it's the same case here.

It's a gaping hole to brush over though ,don't you think?

Edit: All the "Whys" If you have to ask...,

Passose

Banned
Switch is kind of a cheat since Wii U was almost a beta system. If you skipped the Wii U, the Switch first party line up is unbelievable for a launch year. If you had a Wii U, this year is still better than the last couple of Wii U years and you won't complain.
that explains a lot, but still, pretty great for a launch line up, considering the only nintendo console I own this gen is the 3ds( obviously until I bought the switch of course)

So...it is fine for everyone. Tbh I bought a Wii U on day 1 and bought a lot of games but I still enjoy my Switch a lot. At first I was worried that the console will see to many ports but actually there aren't that many. In this year we will get a sequel to Splatoon, a new 3D Mario, Xenoblade 2 and stuff we don't know about yet. Thats just a great line up and as an owner of both consoles I feel like it was worth owning the Wii U and getting the Switch also on day 1 because of the new content.

phanphare

Banned
Or I just see people giving companies like Capcom the same shit for the same thing. Super, Ultra, Resident Evil HD Remake Release.

I'm just saying it's not surprising that A: reviews score the same game high and B: that even if the original game had faults in their mind, that they still score it super high regardless, "because Nintendo"

Mario Kart is a multiplayer franchise, why is it any surprise that the single player can be a bit lacking and still get a 10/10?

I think you're seeing hypocrisy where there is none

So if I still play the Wii U version and have all the DLC and don't plan to play online or play the Battle Mode much, do you think this would be worth a purchase?

It depends on how useful you find the Switch features like the out-of-the-box/tablet instant multiplayer or the ad-hoc local wireless multiplayer. One of the reasons this will do so well is that you can just take your Switch with you anywhere and play split screen multiplayer with no extra accessories needed. If that sort of convenience and versatility seems worth $60 to you then yeah you may as well get it.

Kurdel

Banned
I totally understanding looking at this as a MP-only game and not caring about the lack of SP content. But I can't see how someone could look at these titles from a SP perspective and think it's great.

Do you also understand the bullsht rubber band AI in this series that means that both MP and SP are similar experiences?

You may not see as much value in a kart racing game that doesn't have a hub world (lol), but MK8 single player was an awesome experience.

sinonobu

Banned

Ah the old, "Playing a multiplayer game for the single player. pffftt." comment. Weird how a game like Battlefront 2 now has a dedicated single player, or Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, after so many people said the same thing.

I always love reading these comments!

Good thing most people skipped out on the Wii U then, lol.

Raven77

It depends on how useful you find the Switch features like the out-of-the-box/tablet instant multiplayer or the ad-hoc local wireless multiplayer. One of the reasons this will do so well is that you can just take your Switch with you anywhere and play split screen multiplayer with no extra accessories needed. If that sort of convenience and versatility seems worth $60 to you then yeah you may as well get it.

Good point, I do love the mobility aspect of the system.

Tagg9

It's a gaping hole to brush over though ,don't you think?

Edit: All the "Whys" If you have to ask...,

Not really. You don't see people complaining that 3D Mario titles are missing multiplayer. The Mario Kart series is very multiplayer-centric now and there are very few people who are going to buy it to play solo.

Couple questions:

What was different about the battle mode before the Deluxe version?

What is the controller situation for local multiplayer? Like can two people play each with one Joy-Con?

ZeroX03

Banned
Do you also understand the bullsht rubber band AI in this series that means that both MP and SP are similar experiences?

You may not see as much value in a kart racing game that doesn't have a hub world (lol), but MK8 single player was an awesome experience.

Mentioned a bunch of other things than that, but cool, dwell on the least important one. Somehow I think engaging here is pointless.

TS-08

This is one of those questions that you really can only answer yourself. How much do you value the increased resolution on the TV mode? How much do you value full portability? Out of the box multiplayer? The new characters? If these things don't add up to the price of admission, then I don't see any reason for you to buy it at this point.

Couple questions:

What was different about the battle mode before the Deluxe version?

What is the controller situation for local multiplayer? Like can two people play each with one Joy-Con?

The Battle Mode on the Wii U version was just a regular track. So it'd be a circular track for the most part. It was bad...

Yes, each person can use one joy con.

molnizzle

It's fun because the racing itself is fun, but the single player is barebones as fuck. It's just the same races over and over again at higher speeds. Saying MK8 single player is light on content is a factual statement.

Yeah I mean I am a bit jealous of those who wisely avoided the absolute disaster that was the Wii U long term investment and just skipped it in favor of the Switch and still got (some of) the Wii Us best games haha.

Reviewers have been on the, "its okay if Nintendo does it" bias for decades.

Not from my experience, they got criticism for their online and the Wii U. I remember back in the 90's they got criticism over N64 particularly when Sony PlayStation ate up a lot of their market share.

Top Bottom