• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are 802 Pokemon.

Nightbird

Threads like this always hurt my soul.

The people asking for a reboot should just come clear and say what they actually mean "Do a Pokemon game that looks like the current one, but slash everything I don't care about"

No need to pretend you care for the franchise.

Now for the "issue" of new Pokemon designs.
Newer Designs got more detailed because the hardware allows them to do better designs.
In the first Gen the designs needed to be as simple as possible so you could tell what you are actually looking at with the low resolution and power the GB had.

Now GF is able to create HD-models of every Pokemon, which allows them to pretty much do whatever design they want, and you still them to stay restricted to GB era designs, thus greatly limiting the creativity?

Stuff like Honedge work since the games are able to portray the idea of a possessed sword trough the animations.

The technical possibilities are evolving, so the designs should too.

Stuff like "only 150!!" really grinds my gears. Just because you stopped caring doesn't mean it's bad.

JoeM86

Also don't forget the various forms and Mega Evolutions which brings us up to near 1000 anyway.

It is my belief that this is why Generations VI and VII had "low" new Pokémon counts. So they can avoid the 1000 mark. It's also my belief that this is why National Dex isn't in Sun & Moon, so as to not scare people off.

Threads like this always hurt my soul.

The people asking for a reboot should just come clear and say what they actually mean "Do a Pokemon game that looks like the current one, but slash everything I don't care about"

No need to pretend you care for the franchise.

Newer Designs got more detailed because the hardware allows them to do better designs.
In the first Gen the designs needed to be as simple as possible so you could tell what you are actually looking at with the low resolution and power the GB had.

Now GF is able to create HD-models of every Pokemon, which allows them to pretty much do whatever design they want, and you still them to stay restricted to GB era designs, thus greatly limiting the creativity?

Stuff like Honedge work since the games are able to portray the idea of a possessed sword trough the animations.

The technical possibilities are evolving, so the designs should too.

Stuff like "only 150!!" really grinds my gears. Just because you stopped caring doesn't mean it's bad.

So much this. Bravo

Huh? What gives that impression? If anything I'd say Ash Greninja is I guess.

thats gen6?
lycanroc is kind of the edgy bipedal canine looking thing I guess

yes and no. Cartoons in general are often made with simple shapes for appeal, and games like Mario have stuck with very simple enemy designs because it just fits with that world.

LotusHD

Banned
Forgot about Mimikyu, yeah that one is the most recognizable Gen 7 Mon.

latest

I remember lots of people sharing that promotional song about "Ghost Pikachu"

Yea Mimikyu is top-tier stuff.

God I hate Lucario. I hate how much the Pokemon company tried to make him "happen"

But it did happen. You're confusing Lucario with Zoroark.
Sucks too,
I did like Zoroark...

is midnight lycanroc the gen7 lucario?

More like the Gen 7 Zoroark. Midday would be the Lucario of the two, because people vastly prefer it to the Midnight version. That being said, Midday's popularity doesn't seem super crazy (Def. won't see him in Smash), as far as I know. Still a good design though. Simple, yet looks pretty damn cool. Midnight Lyanroc just low-key pisses me off because how do you manage to fuck up a werewolf Pokemon lol

i really don't think you should be parsing Mimikyu for being a good design, it's a good idea sure but the design isn't really much

Mimikyu is one of those pokemon where the design on its own isn't that big of a deal, but when you pair it up with its Pokedex entry, it's the best thing evah

Like seriously, I feel for the little guy. Then you see him in both the game and anime (Oh god, the anime version...), and it's like yea, this Pokemon is awesome lol

Like seriously, I feel for the little guy. Then you see him in both the game and anime (Oh god, the anime version...), and it's like yea, this Pokemon is awesome lol

except its lore makes about as little sense as cubones sob story
theyre born wearing the disguise/mask and are all the same

the anime one works because theres only one, and its more like a creepy horror movie than anything

LotusHD

Banned
except its lore makes about as little sense as cubones sob story
theyre born wearing the disguise/mask and are all the same

Shh.... Don't break the immersion

But yea, some Pokemon read off as there being only one of them, or at least very few of them, yet the games kind of just don't give a fuck. Maybe their species is just extremely jealous by nature lol

EDIT:

Another reason I like Mimikyu is because he's like an actual creative take on Pika-clones

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I mean a generation overall, not just 1 or 2 that people like

then that's just nostalgia

if they made something more appealing than pikachu they would have made detective mimikyu instead
they really did strike gold with some of them to the point where they try desperately to clone them each gen

Eh it's not so much as to clone as much as it established things, like "early mammal" or "early bird" or "generation Pikachu".

God I hate Lucario. I hate how much the Pokemon company tried to make him "happen"

but he did happen

Lucario isn't some flavor of the month Pokemon character

While I'm fairly neutral with Lucario, I really like that he exists because it triggers a lot of people that GF is actually shilling a non-Gen 1 Pokemon.

then that's just nostalgia

Eh it's not so much as to clone as much as it established things, like "early mammal" or "early bird" or "generation Pikachu".

but he did happen

Lucario isn't some flavor of the month Pokemon character

While I'm fairly neutral with Lucario, I really like that he exists because it triggers a lot of people that GF is actually shilling a non-Gen 1 Pokemon.

if something more appealing came along they would push that as hard as possible
you can call it nostalgia, but its not that simple. Some things just have that staying power, and in cases like pikachu, it was more than just a design since nobody is even going to try and replicate that voice actor.

Shh.... Don't break the immersion

But yea, some Pokemon read off as there being only one of them, or at least very few of them, yet the games kind of just don't give a fuck. Maybe their species is just extremely jealous by nature lol

EDIT:

Another reason I like Mimikyu is because he's like an actual creative take on Pika-clones

I like mimikyu as a concept, but its not "cute" because its real body is hideous enough to kill you.

Lucario happened on its own--people were legitimately obsessed with the thing back in Gen IV. TPCi just took advantage of it from there cause might as well. Zorua/Zoroark is the example of them trying to force the magic to happen again and it just kinda... not.

i mean Lucario getting as popular didn't happen on his own

he did get to star in his own movie, was one of the first gen 4 pokemon shown off and got into smash

sure him staying as popular enough to replace his replacement is something but don't say it just happen and they took advantage of it

ffdgh

Still a good design though. Simple, yet looks pretty damn cool. Midnight Lyanroc just low-key pisses me off because how do you manage to fuck up a werewolf Pokemon lol
Heh I think Midday is alright. Just a bit boring design wise. I actually like that Midnight isn't the usual take on werewolves. Reminds me of 90's video game animal mascots with its cartoony design. Good thing they made 2 different versions so everyone is happy.
Not enough megazords.
Well there's zygarde.
600px-718Zygarde-Complete.png

JoeM86

Fun fact. Masuda has gone on record in saying that part of why he thinks Pokémon is so successful and has continued for 20 years is because they haven't rebooted.

It's not happening. Just because they were your first Pokémon doesn't make them the best or what they should focus on. Deal with it.

What about little Timmy whose favourite Pokémon is an Aggron as it was the first shiny he got in Ruby? Don't be selfish. Think of little Timmy

LotusHD

Banned
Heh I think Midday is alright. Just a bit boring design wise. I actually like that Midnight isn't the usual take on werewolves. Reminds me of 90's video game animal mascots with its cartoony design. Good thing they made 2 different versions so everyone is happy.

I dunno, it's partly my fault, heard about the scans/leaks foreshadowing it, and I'm like oh man, this design is gonna be so dope, and then... it just wasn't lol

It's the eyes really. Makes him look unnecessarily edgy. Also it wasn't Dark type! Just gave me no reason to prefer it over the Midday version lol

Fun fact. Masuda has gone on record in saying that part of why he thinks Pokémon is so successful and has continued for 20 years is because they haven't rebooted.

It's not happening. Just because they were your first Pokémon doesn't make them the best or what they should focus on. Deal with it.

What about little Timmy whose favourite Pokémon is an Aggron as it was the first shiny he got in Ruby? Don't be selfish. Think of little Timmy

Yep. As much as Masuda baffles me sometimes, it seems like he knows that what makes Pokémon is, well, the Pokémon.

Gen VII has one of the best designed batches ever, so keep em comin.

ffdgh

I dunno, it's partly my fault, heard about the scans/leaks foreshadowing it, and I'm like oh man, this design is gonna be so dope, and then... it just wasn't lol

It's the eyes really. Makes him look unnecessarily edgy. Also it wasn't Dark type! Just gave me reason to prefer it over the Midday version lol

Both evos are affected by the cover legends according to the site so that's why it has red eyes like lunana. Day's neck rocks are shaped like the sun and night's rock horn...thing makes a crescent moon.

Yep. As much as Masuda baffles me sometimes, it seems like he knows that what makes Pokémon is, well, the Pokémon.

Gen VII has one of the best designed batches ever, so keep em comin.

well, I wish he would give them more personality because most of the time the games only real characters are trainers. Something that differentiates them from being disposable weapons maybe, like a much better version of what yellow introduced with the tamagotchi type stuff.

LotusHD

Banned
Both evos are affected by the cover legends according to the site so that's why it has red eyes like lunana. Day's neck rocks are shaped like the sun and night's rock horn...thing makes a crescent moon.

It's cool that there's a reasoning behind the eyes, but doesn't change how I feel :p

Your avatar is cute though.

well, I wish he would give them more personality because most of the time the games only real characters are trainers. Something that differentiates them from being disposable weapons maybe, like a much better version of what yellow introduced with the tamagotchi type stuff.

We need to go back to what HG/SS did, and let Pokemon walk behind us.

Thorgal

i wonder how much a pokemon cartridge with all 802 pokemon on it would go for if you tried to sell it ?

you just know someone will be willing to pay out of the nose for it .

I'm still annoyed over two things.

Pokemon GO. Went with gen 1 and completely pretended that evolutions and babies to old Pokemon don't exist, yet new types and moves do! This was their chance to introduce new Pokemon to the whole world. And now they awkwardly started to evolve and have babies out of nowhere.

It's fine they went with gen 1,but i wish all the Pokemon they could evolve into were also included. That way we would have started with around 200 Pokemon, and people would have been introduced to the new ones while still being linked to the old ones.

The Pokedex in that game is now also a mess. You have to scroll all the way to see the rest of an evolution family, which brings me to my second point...

MAKE A NEW NATIONAL DEX ORDER, PLEASE TPC! I wanna see all the starters and the rodents and the birds and the bugs and the legendaries and the families together dammit!

Six also has this badass

latest

It got a slot in Smash because Sakurai was convinced it'd be a popular Pokemon

He was right.

Also the XYZ anime did it lots of favors by having it front as center as hands down Ash's best Pokemon ever

Yup. Both of my Nephews 2 favorite Pokemon are Greninja and Ash-Greninja

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Some of the replies in here are basically -
"there's too many animals in the world. Only my cat and dog are true animals"

God forbid we have a little variety.
The world building in the series is fantastic. I hope they never stop. They're truly creating a vibrant world.

As for collecting them all, theres plenty of chances to get the event legendaries if you actually care and pay attention. Each game offers you a very wide variety of Pokemon to catch too, so it's your own fault if you can't be bothered. Just don't complain about it.

It's hard,yes, but there'd be no challenge if they pandered to instant gratification, thus no proper sense of accomplishment.

My issue with there being so many is that we end up with Pokemon that are basically repeats of earlier ones but with a different skin. How many 'generic bird' and 'generic fish' types are there now?

Boss Doggie

if something more appealing came along they would push that as hard as possible
you can call it nostalgia, but its not that simple. Some things just have that staying power, and in cases like pikachu, it was more than just a design since nobody is even going to try and replicate that voice actor.

You have to accept though of the context of that staying power. Gen 1 came at the height of nineties pop culture fads. It's why, again, I bring up Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

i mean Lucario getting as popular didn't happen on his own

he did get to star in his own movie, was one of the first gen 4 pokemon shown off and got into smash

sure him staying as popular enough to replace his replacement is something but don't say it just happen and they took advantage of it

You have a point with the movie, but again, it was no more different than pushing a legendary. When they saw how people particularly the kids liked Lucario, they simply responded.

The rest aren't though. He got a special quest in DP and got in Smash because he was already popular by then.

My issue with there being so many is that we end up with Pokemon that are basically repeats of earlier ones but with a different skin. How many 'generic bird' and 'generic fish' types are there now?
to be fair, they maybe generic but there are stand outs there, like say Staraptor and pre-Gen VII Talonflame (rest your soul).

YAWN

I know what you mean, that robin outside my window is definitely a reskin of that crow on my neighbors roof.
They're different species of bird. Do people really want just one bird Pokemon to represent a class of species?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
If an Amiibo were to be made for each Pokemon at £12 each it would cost £9,624

Even if they made something like cards that cost £1.50 each that would set you back £1,230

Uhhhh Pokemon cards have been a thing for over 20 years.

I know what you mean, that robin outside my window is definitely a reskin of that crow on my neighbors roof.
They're different species of bird. Do people really want just one bird Pokemon to represent a class of species?

It's a game though, I don't care how many there are as long as there is variety within them. Even going back as far as gen 2 for example, Hoot-Hoot and Pidgey are ultimately interchangeable. No reason to use one over the other. I don't want 50 bird Pokemon if they are all the same from a gameplay point of view.

You have to accept though of the context of that staying power. Gen 1 came at the height of nineties pop culture fads. It's why, again, I bring up Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

do we have stats to back any of this up or we just assuming?
you would need to show people unfamiliar to the franchise a selection of pokemon from each generation and see which they liked most

power rangers only recently had a comeback with a mediocre movie while pokemon has been a thing constantly for the last two decades

Some of the replies in here are basically -
"there's too many animals in the world. Only my cat and dog are true animals"

God forbid we have a little variety.
The world building in the series is fantastic. I hope they never stop. They're truly creating a vibrant world.

As for collecting them all, theres plenty of chances to get the event legendaries if you actually care and pay attention. Each game offers you a very wide variety of Pokemon to catch too, so it's your own fault if you can't be bothered. Just don't complain about it.

It's hard,yes, but there'd be no challenge if they pandered to instant gratification, thus no proper sense of accomplishment.

not sure if serious
the world building is kind of bad because it retcons and contradicts itself every gen, and most of the lore straight up doesnt make sense

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about reboot, but I do think that there an awful lot of Pokemon that are functionally redundant. For example, the Pidgey and Starly lines. They're both Normal/Flying three-evolution Pokemon based loosely on an amalgamation of several birds but especially raptors by the end which have almost identical stat builds (physical sweepers) and almost identical movesets. The only significant difference is the 'power creep' whereby most Gen 1 Pokemon have relatively balanced stat builds but later Gens were more heavily specialized, and Gen 5 Pokemon have wider movepools. I don't think you could remove either line now, because odds are one or the other will be someone's favourite, but I do think they just represent wasted design space. That effort could have been spent on addressing a missing niche. For example: how the fuck is there no dolphin Pokemon yet?

Going forward, I think the aim of the game ought to be minimizing near reduplication of lines.

Kneefoil

They are already way past the point where each Pokémon exists to fill a certain niche - several Pokémon already serve the same roles. Because of that, I hope they keep going and creating new monsters.

Fewer legendaries, though. I think the legendary-to-regular-'mon ratio is too high. Makes the legends feel a lot less magical/rare. I know that's not what they want to do because legendaries and starters are more marketable than most other Pokémon, but that would be my dream.

Boss Doggie

do we have stats to back any of this up or we just assuming?
you would need to show people unfamiliar to the franchise a selection of pokemon from each generation and see which they liked most

power rangers only recently had a comeback with a mediocre movie while pokemon has been a thing constantly for the last two decades

I don't need stats - I lived in that decade (well technically I was a late 80's kid but you get the idea). A big popular fad that ingrained into the minds of people, and those things persist through cultural osmosis and people who even aren't into the franchise would know because it was continuously shouted at them. And because that's how you appeal to mass market, you make something like Go, which then spread to people who never touched the series, etc.

My point in Power Rangers is that non-PR people remember only MMPR when you mention Power Rangers - it's the same idea as Pokemon.

I don't know about reboot, but I do think that there an awful lot of Pokemon that are functionally redundant. For example, the Pidgey and Starly lines. They're both Normal/Flying three-evolution Pokemon based loosely on an amalgamation of several birds but especially raptors by the end which have almost identical stat builds (physical sweepers) and almost identical movesets. The only significant difference is the 'power creep' whereby most Gen 1 Pokemon have relatively balanced stat builds but later Gens were more heavily specialized, and Gen 5 Pokemon have wider movepools. I don't think you could remove either line now, because odds are one or the other will be someone's favourite, but I do think they just represent wasted design space. That effort could have been spent on addressing a missing niche. For example: how the fuck is there no dolphin Pokemon yet?

Going forward, I think the aim of the game ought to be minimizing near reduplication of lines.

I don't think there's a thing as "wasted design space", like the talent behind the pokemon design certainly didn't feel like they wasted stuff. It's like saying "Smash roster wasted a space".

With that said I thought Pidgey was special attack than attack.

The closest we have for clones are the Gen 2 starters really, but otherwise even the mons there have their own spin.

YAWN

It's a game though, I don't care how many there are as long as there is variety within them. Even going back as far as gen 2 for example, Hoot-Hoot and Pidgey are ultimately interchangeable. No reason to use one over the other. I don't want 50 bird Pokemon if they are all the same from a gameplay point of view.
There's only 7 families of "generic" bird pokemon, all with different stat distribution and strengths and weaknesses, as well as move sets. You can't have Pidgeot learning Psychic like Noctowl, and Tranquill doesn't even compare to the likes of Talonflame, who bucked the trend completely by being part Fire.

There's also such a thing as series staples. It's why Gorons are always present in Zelda. Why there's always a Paladin to help you out in the early stages of Fire Emblem. Its part of the series' identity.

They'll be people who prefer Staraptor over Pidgeot just based on design too. If they want a flying type who fills the "generic" bird function, why can't there be more variety in designs of said niche? I'm sure you have your favourite starter design despite most of them fufilling the same roll. Well, "roll" by your standard anyway.

not sure if serious
the world building is kind of bad because it retcons and contradicts itself every gen, and most of the lore straight up doesnt make sense

I meant the Pokemon themselves flesh out the world and help it feel alive. The lore is a bit shaky, I'll give you that, but it absolutely makes sense different species of Pokemon would be present in different regions. Unless you want to visit a new region and see nothing but Kanto mon again, and again, and again.

PSFan

Also don't forget the various forms and Mega Evolutions which brings us up to near 1000 anyway.

It is my belief that this is why Generations VI and VII had "low" new Pokémon counts. So they can avoid the 1000 mark. It's also my belief that this is why National Dex isn't in Sun & Moon, so as to not scare people off.

So much this. Bravo

How would the National Dex scare people off? You don't usually get it until postgame, so people could just do the main game and not even get the National Dex if it bothers them that much.

Not having a National Dex in Sun/Moon really killed any interest I had with continuing postgame after the main game. Previously, I had completed the National Dex in every single gen, and also did a complete living Pokedex. But now, I just stopped playing Sun/Moon after completing the main game and have no desire to even look at their postgame stuff.

There's only 7 families of "generic" bird pokemon, all with different stat distribution and strengths and weaknesses, as well as move sets. You can't have Pidgeot learning Psychic like Noctowl, and Tranquill doesn't even compare to the likes of Talonflame, who bucked the trend completely by being part Fire.

There's also such a thing as series staples. It's why Gorons are always present in Zelda. Why there's always a Paladin to help you out in the early stages of Fire Emblem. Its part of the series' identity.

They'll be people who prefer Staraptor over Pidgeot just based on design too. If they want a flying type who fills the "generic" bird function, why can't there be more variety in designs of said niche? I'm sure you have your favourite starter design despite most of them fufilling the same roll. Well, "roll" by your standard anyway.

I meant the Pokemon themselves flesh out the world and help it feel alive. The lore is a bit shaky, I'll give you that, but it absolutely makes sense different species of Pokemon would be present in different regions. Unless you want to visit a new region and see nothing but Kanto mon again, and again, and again.

Good post. People need to get it through their heads that there can be multiple Pokémon of a same species or general type and that's okay. Their designs and functionality are all largely unique.

Fj0823

Good post. People need to get it through their heads that there can be multiple Pokémon of a same species or general type and that's okay. Their designs and functionality are all largely unique.

Exactly, just by taking a look at "Cat" Pokemon you see a lot of variety

250px-052Meowth.png

latest

latest

250px-300Skitty.png

latest

How is any of these a repeat of the other?

brinstar

With that said I thought Pidgey was special attack than attack.

Mega Pidgeot is special attack-based, so in the end it did get pretty differentiated kind of

I don't have any problem with the ever-increasing number, but I would really like one more generation with a whole new set of 150 like Black and White did. As someone who's been around since the beginning, I'm just not really interested in training my eleventh Gardevoir or whatever; I've spent enough time with the old guys. It's part of the reason I'm not really interested in the remakes of old gens, and why I wasn't into S/M until the second island when I finally managed to fill out a team with new Pokemon. What am I going to do with a Ledyba, y'know?

Same here, I love when they go all in on a new dex. B/W was my favorite in the series cause of that.

KdylanR92

I really should make a bingo board for pokemon GAF threads because it's always the same posts, different day.

"Only the first 151 count."
"This new pokemon/design is shitty."
"They need to stop introducing new pokemon already."
"[Gen 1 pokemon] > [Gen 2+ pokemon]"
"Gen 5 was the worst gen."
"Gen 5 was the best gen."
"Pokemon needs a reboot. OG mons only"
"Popsicle LOL"
"Trashmon LOL"
"Imma let you finish but Gen 2 was the GOAT."
"The designers have run out of ideas."
"DAE pokemon is too complicated these days."

I can't wait until we reach 1000 mons! :D

The next Pokemon thread is going to be pretty entertaining with this.

Exactly, just by taking a look at "Cat" Pokemon you see a lot of variety

How is any of these a repeat of the other?
This! Pokemon is great because of the variety. What if I feel like using a Meowth one playthrough? Or if I'm doing a Nuzlocke and decide to use a Phanpy this time around? Yeah, they're not good in competitive but that doesn't matter on the main adventure.

I've been playing Pokémon since the very beginning. Anybody who knows me around here knows how deep and emotional my connection to the early days of Pokémon is.

There were generations I skipped. I skipped Gen III. I skipped Gen V. But I've come and gone as the series has grabbed me and I have a strong relationship with Pokémon from every generation. I'm several hundred hours into Gen VII and I'm back for the ride in a big way.

Every generation has Pokémon I like a lot and every generation has Pokémon I really hate. This has been the case since Gen I. I cannot fathom how anybody can be so full of themselves to insist that only 151/802 are good. Like, that's just insane. The very notion is impossible.

I wish diehard Genwunners would just admit they don't actually like Pokémon anymore and are instead clinging to the scraps of nostalgia behind a mask of elitism.

My favorite game is Platinum. That has my favorite PokéDex and it's my favorite region. Despite this, there is no argument where I would assert Gen IV is the only good generation. There is no time I would ever say only those Pokémon matter. I would never claim Sinnoh and its natives are the masterclass of the series at the total expense of every other entry.

Pokémon is a cumulative experience. The series is designed to build on its predessecors. To say the series hasn't gotten it right once since Red & Blue is the worst kind of conceited. It undermines everything the series has accomplished in the last twenty years. That sucks.

I don't care if Gen 1 is your favorite one. That's cool. The idea that NOTHING ELSE IS GOOD is just dumb. Please abandon this idea. Fix your hearts or die.

Feorax

Gonna be fascinating to see how Pokémon Switch is done. I'd quite like a game that is based in Kanto, and then each following region with the corresponding Pokémon species are released as DLC episodically.

Top Bottom