• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm noticing a lot of celebrities are advertising the Switch now

Alas, i dont think anyone here can prove any side these points so lets celebrate Switches!

Yup I think we can all agree on that. Hell, if I was famous I'm sure people would be taking pictures of me playing Zelda or BoI on the Switch because that's like all I do in my free time now.

It's a great console, and whether this is marketing or not it's good for the future of the console.

Shiggy

hqdefault.jpg

That's their MO.

She really loved the DS.

I mean celebrities are walking talking billboards whether they like it or not. They could just like Pepsi, and someone see's that, mind you weak minded people, and suddenly gotta get a pepsi.

They can't like anything without it be brought into question, its not just the hottest thing this week. Its almost as if they are people, and they LIKE things. Hmmm.

You know, it is possible that these celebrities are actually enjoying the Switch, rather than advertising it.
For some on here, this isn't an option. Celebrities aren't human beings, obviously.
While we're thinking about it, is nintendo's marketing team really smart enough to seek him out... there's your answer.

Switch is to video games as the tablet is to the computer. We had portability before, but the way it's designed is better from an ease of use and quality perspective.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's funny because after seeing that pic of Jimmy Fallon with a Switch in his briefcase (and little else), we went down to see him. He plugged the system again during the taping, mentioning his briefcase with just a Switch and headphones.

Someone in the audience later asked him what he's playing on Switch. He gave the expected Zelda/1,2 Switch/Mariokart reply (the games Reggie probably hooked him up with) but then went on to say that the game he and the studio's all hooked on is a mobile game.

No. But I also look at it from the perspective of thinking, "If I were Nintendo, would this be the most effective use of my marketing dollars?" and in the case of the picture in the OP, the answer is very much no.

How would giving celebrities a Switch so they can promote it to their audience not be a good way to spend marketing dollars? When Nintendo had a hard time getting the Wii U into homes and people had no clue that it was even a separate console.

Nanashrew

Banned
Let's also get some facts in here. There's absolutely no way that Nintendo would allow someone to say the word "shit" or any kind of cuss word for an ad associated with their product.

Same for a company like Disney.

Family companies want to look wholesome.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Only on GAF you have to be paid to have fun with MK. Second time this week.....Celebrities are people as well..and yeah they play Madden, NBA2K, CoD, Mario Kart and Co.

Switch is selling out right now anyway and NoA marketing budget is limited anyway...doubt they are paying of celebs for playing MK lol.

BigEmil

Doubt all of these are paid advertisements one is with John Cena

I wouldn't be surprised that Nintendo deliver the Switch to lots of big name people for free though and they might catch some free and big advertising from some that way

Fisty

Influencers, social media, and everyone with a internet-connected camera in their pocket. Unfortunately corporations found a way to target people's need for attention and validation and make everyone a marketing agent. Welcome to the 21st century :(

atr0cious

Worth noting of course that you can't be sure that it was payd for, but in this day and age you should at least question it.

There are more obvious examples:

barcelona_nintendo_switch.jpg
From the same Twitter account:
Some folks might just like the system or are we saying Nintendo spent more money on Iniesta than the entire Wii U ad campaign?

Budi

From the same Twitter account:
Some folks might just like the system or are we saying Nintendo spent more money on Iniesta than the entire Wii U ad campaign?

Do the family members get paid aswell even though they aren't celebs? Does it make things more problematic that there is a minor doing these ads, is there some kind of supervision so she wont get exploited?

jts

...hate me...
http://res.cloudinary.com/thefader/image/upload/s--feUt1FmW--/w_1440,c_limit,q_jpegmini,f_auto/FADER-13_uftpfm.jpg

*paid by Sony, Muscle Milk, Apple and lord knows what else. They don't actually like any of those things.

Cuburt

If Nintendo paid celebrities to talk about the Switch on social media, it only seems logical that Sony paid all these GAF alt accounts in this thread to shit on the Switch and spread lies as their counter marketing campaign.

That's the way it all works, right?

Some fans are just trying to justify their purchases. Sad.

Trump is a GAFFER :O

These threads seem to irk some people so badly, it's hilarious.

Just for those folks:

Switch is a huge hit. Everyone loves it. Even celebrities! Nintendo is doing great, look at their stock. And all that without even having Pokemon on Switch!!! Wait for the huge explosion in sales then! Also Breath of the Wild, highest rated game ever!

tmespe

Switch is a huge hit. Everyone loves it. Even celebrities! Nintendo is doing great, look at their stock. And all that without even having Pokemon on Switch!!! Wait for the huge explosion in sales then! Also Breath of the Wild, highest rated game ever!
Trump is a gaffer indeed.

SeanIfOnly

Neo Member
Generally these always look like paid marketing posts but these don't have a "Nintendo approved" feel to them. I think they are genuine posts about their love for the system. As someone who travels a lot for work I fully agree, I have fallen in love with the system.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wouldn't call it advertising, just celebrities taking joy in what us plebs call gaming.

We always forget our celebrities are human too.

No they're clearly soulless machines who exist only to be walking billboards and walking PR machines. Its inconceivable that celebrities are also human beings who might share the same hobbies we do.

Reg

Banned
Tons of celebrities are gamers. Doesn't mean they aren't getting paid or deals sharing gaming related things on their social media. Its literally a job or multiple jobs to run a popular social media accounts.

The Switch is barely in stock anywhere so where are all these celebrities getting their Switches? Are they giving in to scalpers or camping on forums like everyone else waiting for it to go back on stock? lol

Hah, excellent post. More people would be advised to read it.

I truly doubt this is a paid promotion. Did Nintendo send The Weeknd a Switch for free? Most likely, but really it just seems a lot of you really can't believe celebrities genuinely like Nintendo. Or would rather not give Nintendo a win for anything in general

hullo FRIENDS

it seems as though *INSTAGRAM CELEBRITY* is really enjoying their new Nintendo Switch.

I really think as a hip demographic I should tweet, like and follow and purchase a Nintendo Switch of my very own. But first I thought I should notify my message board FRIENDS

Top Bottom