• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog changes their tune on Uncharted 3's Season Pass, upcoming DLC costs extra

At the end of the day Sony/Naughty Dog will be the ones hurting from this. Season passes are bad enough as it is, including ambiguous/inaccurate description of its content will only result in lost of trust from consumers in your future products.

Funny, because I've yet to hear anyone outside of this thread complaining and crucifying Naughty Dog in this manner. Yes, the overall way the Season Pass was handled was flubbed but people are seriously trying to make it sound as if your Uncharted 3 disc is going to blow up or something ridiculous. It's quite pathetic really.

arne

I only get london, chateau and airship

This came from our thread: http://community.us.playstation.com...s-at-all/td-p/37486825/highlight/false/page/9
Unless everyone in matchmaking for your game has the same DLC you will not be able to play on those DLC maps. If 1 person does not have the same DLC as the others you will be kicked to a different set of maps to be randomly selected. Here's the table for how the DLC Toggle works now. Just fill in the blank with what you have installed. FBMP 2 has priority for now but we adjust this on the fly.

Code:
I have "___" Installed	DLC Toggle On 	    DLC Toggle Off
No DLC	                Default	            Default
FBMP 1 Only	        Default	            Default
FBMP 2 Only	        DLC	            Default
UC3DDMP Only      	Default	            Default
FBMP1 & 2	        DLC	            Default
FBMP 1 & 2 & DDMP	DLC	            Default
FBMP 1 & DDMP	        Default	            Default
FBMP 2 & DDMP	        DLC	            Default

Rapstah

If by subscription you mean you get to watch the webcam stream of my face from my desk as I read GAF every day, then yes, I'll create this "elite sub"
Done, I'll pay for this. Now if you don't include this feature in the Last of Us 120$ Collector's Edition I'll fuck shit up. This quote can only mean one thing.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
But did DICE/EA state that any of those maps for BF3 wouldn't rehashes of maps from previous games? That seems to be the running complaint here. But I agree. Less people would bitch if there was a more detailed layout of what they would get. This blindly buying a season pass just because of promises will pretty much end.

DICE + EA stated right as BF3 was announced of B2K in their Limited Edition copies
That you will be getting a free map pack of 4 re-used beloved maps, if you wait to long, it will cost you $14.99 when those LE run out (which they did, it was truly a limited run... amazing!)

Then when Premium was announced, if late adopter, you caught a break by getting in on the deal for the B2K Map Pack free of charge if you bought it
And the 4 other map packs were laid out as a road map (yes some information was held back)

So far we have 2 Map packs out
Look how easily it's laid out:

PcsZIl.png

Now if ND did that, there wouldn't be a qualm because you get what you paid for, but in this instance, you were at the mercy of the dev

deviljho

Reconning the unclear lines across a couple of posts we should have said:

This membership includes all currently available and the just mentioned upcoming DLC packs for UNCHARTED 3...

This is really a customer service issue. People that bought in between January and MARCH (before clarification was announced) and complain have the right to complain based on the ambiguous wording.Naughty Dog should honor such complaints and offer those customers something in return and apologize for the mistake. This is how you keep customers happy with you, even when you make a mistake. Swallow your pride, admit you made a mistake, throw the customer a bone and let them feel good about buying your shit.

If you did this, you wouldn't be stuck on Neogaf or wherever replying to every post. Instead, companies that do this sound like dicks - because they are arguing with the consumer about digital content that has virtually zero distribution costs and was advertised poorly. The content is already made and you won't be gaining a sale from such a customer by taking a hardline about your ambiguous advertising. But giving the content for free costs you nothing and you earn good will. You don't even have to give it all, but enough for the customer to be satisfied.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You should never EVER buy anything based on a promise. Never. You're just asking for disappointment.

You're talking to gamers. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Season Passes are wonderful for any publisher since they're getting all of your money up front, and that's all they care about.

Out of 25+ years of gaming, I've purchased $0 of DLC. Stop buying from these guys. This behavior exists, because in the minds of the corporate world, some idiot will always buy DLC. Don't be that idiot.

Corto

The descriptions were pretty clear, except for that "past and any upcoming" line.

October 18, 2011

November 15, 2011

January 17, 2012

March 8, 2012

We went beyond map packs and skin packs and added a brand new mode created from the ground up as part of the FHC, that wasn't planned when the FHC was originally put together.

Reconning the unclear lines across a couple of posts we should have said:

This membership includes all currently available and the just mentioned upcoming DLC packs for UNCHARTED 3...

Arne, I love ND, I love your commitment in engaging with the community in an earnest and as open as possible way (the aiming patch episode was incredible), love your personal involvement with us but though I understand that this is extra content that ultimately show your continuous support for the title when you could as easily move along and don't look back, that sentence that includes "all upcoming content" is inaccurate. You internally didn't predict somekind of a backlash? Even a minor one?

arne

Arne, I love ND, I love your commitment in engaging with the community in an earnest and as open as possible way (the aiming patch episode was incredible), love your personal involvement with us but though I understand that this is extra content that ultimately show your continuous support for the title when you could as easily move along and don't look back, that sentence that includes "all upcoming content" is inaccurate. You internally didn't predict somekind of a backlash? Even a minor one?

We were completely done with DLC. So at the time, no.

Plus, as I said, let's revisit once everything gets revealed.

Wait... maybe there's a little hope for a single player DLC??????
THIS is the most important news!

I will be the Dream Crusher(tm) and say no, no single player DLC.

Why on earth would people buy DLC for uncharted out of all games? Online multiplayer isn't the main the selling point, and its average at best

Code:
I have "___" Installed	DLC Toggle On 	    DLC Toggle Off
No DLC	                Default	            Default
FBMP 1 Only	        Default	            Default
FBMP 2 Only	        DLC	            Default
UC3DDMP Only      	Default	            Default
FBMP1 & 2	        DLC	            Default
FBMP 1 & 2 & DDMP	DLC	            Default
FBMP 1 & DDMP	        Default	            Default
FBMP 2 & DDMP	        DLC	            Default

FBMP 1 & 2 & DDMPbtoggle on!!! If its of any use, for some reason I cant turn off uncharted tv off, I turn it off but it turns back on after every match!

@Arne

Neither you, nor Eric understand the problem with the DLC toggle... you also need to have Fort + Shade (Co-op DLC) installed to join the Competitive DLC pool.

Does that make any sense? No, but it's the truth! You screwed up the DLC toggle for no reason at all.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The irony of this whole thing is that the ONLY reason we have this unclear wording that is being called out on is that MORE CONTENT was added (14 packs instead of just 7 packs), making the FHC a BETTER value overall (60% off full price, versus 45% off full price). I'm not making a judgement on what you feel the quality/value of each content was, but if we just packed it up and said, you're only getting these 7 pieces of content and then didn't do any more DLC or charged full price for the rest, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. It's only happening because we supported the game longer/more. sigh.

I wouldn't have much issue if the current FHC didn't have so much rehashed content. The FHC in my eyes is just a straight up bad proposition, one that couldn't be foreseen ahead of time.

Cat Party

The irony of this whole thing is that the ONLY reason we have this unclear wording that is being called out on is that MORE CONTENT was added (14 packs instead of just 7 packs), making the FHC a BETTER value overall (60% off full price, versus 45% off full price). I'm not making a judgement on what you feel the quality/value of each content was, but if we just packed it up and said, you're only getting these 7 pieces of content and then didn't do any more DLC or charged full price for the rest, this discussion wouldn't even be happening. It's only happening because we supported the game longer/more. sigh.

It's simpler than that, actually. The ONLY reason this is happening is that ND charged people $25 for "any future DLC," and now ND wants to charge those same people more money for future DLC. We all understand that this was a mistake, and was not intentional, but it was ND's mistake alone and the right thing to do is to give the people who forked over the money what they were promised.

Card Boy

Banned
I wish developers and publishers wouldn't release community splitting DLC period like maps, characters, guns and vehicles. All that should be free. If you're going to charge for DLC, then charge for skins and vanity items only. Again keep going back to the Valve example of releasing free DLC and charging for cosmetic stuff, it simply works for both strengthening the community and pays off in the end for the Publisher.

I don't understand why people support this community splitting DLC crap especially when people will abandon the game for the next best thing.

Who does this season pass benefit besides Naughty Dogs/Sonys pockets? The people without it suffers because of longer matchmaking times due to people playing the paid maps. The people with them will barely get to play them due to others not buying the DLC. Just look at Metal Gear Online as a prime example of a fractured community due to everyone playing on the DLC maps and Killzone 2 as an example of people never playing the DLC maps.

Simply charge for skins only and make your dosh that way. Naughty Dog has burned alot of bridges and goodwill from many players with this DLC garbage.

arne

@Arne

Neither you, nor Eric understand the problem with the DLC toggle... you also need to have Fort + Shade (Co-op DLC) installed to join the Competitive DLC pool.

Does that make any sense? No, but it's the truth! You screwed up the DLC toggle for no reason at all.

No makes sense... we'll look into that if we haven't already. thanks!

arne

It's simpler than that, actually. The ONLY reason this is happening is that ND charged people $25 for "any future DLC," and now ND wants to charge those same people more money for future DLC. We all understand that this was a mistake, and was not intentional, but it was ND's mistake alone and the right thing to do is to give the people who forked over the money what they were promised.

No, we charged people $25 for 7 pieces of DLC and then when we added 7 more pieces of DLC for a total of 14 we were unclear about which future DLC we were talking about (the new 7 pieces). Then we told people the FHC was OVER, which nobody remembers apparently.

I'm going to go smash my head against a wall now.

zaxon

Out of curiosity, did anyone in this thread buy the FHC with the clear expectation of getting more than 14 packs of DLC?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm going to go smash my head against a wall now.

You FOOL... for free?

Kickstarter that shit

Make the $1000 donation, any chip of my face that breaks off gets divided equally and sent to you

$10,000 you get 1 push, head to wall

Profit!

they counted the co-op as a map pack. I personally don't think they did a good job with the FHC. It felt like they were just trying to get it done and get over with it. Also, I expected trophies to come with it...

what am I reading now about 14 packs?

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
What in the hell is a "club pack"? A "season"? Are these different things? There are multiple seasons? There's your source of confusion right there, trying to redefine the language of downloadable content. DLC isn't exactly an intuitive subject in the first place; having part of the game - but only kinda part of the game - be only available through download, and not on the disc that the game game is on. It's obtuse, confusing, and, to me, it devalues the entire experience. But that's just DLC. Pile on this marketing garble and now I'm really lost. Call a spade a spade, a new multiplayer map a new multiplayer map, an aesthetic skin an aesthetic skin. All you've done here is to create an atmosphere of uncertainty between the developer and the customer, where communication is harder and solid answers more difficult to find. The fact you can go over a blog post line-by-line to analyze the grammatical structure and still walk away confused of its meaning is hilariously absurd.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
did the Fortune Hunter pack say "you get access to seven DLC packs" or "future DLC packs"?

hamchan

Can you name us a season pass that people weren't disappointed with? People are always expecting them to deliver a lot more than they usually do.

Call of Duty Elite. Even if I hate the base game, the amount of content they're pushing out and how forward and clear they are about when it comes out is great.

The point of a season pass should be "okay, we already have all these subscribers, we are not risking resources by delivering outstanding resources as we were paid in advance".

*launches rehashed maps, only last map pack is original (new)*

Also, i'm still not seeing the 14 packs. I see 13 packs on the store.

1 of the packs are KZ accesories (LOLwut 2 items)

Skinpacks are rehashed and purpousedly divided in two packs for no reason...

I don't really see the 14 packs anywhere.

Not to mention that the 4 map packs weren't delivered. Co-op adventure is not a map pack.

Yagharek

This might just be me, but I always assumed a season pass in concept is like paying for all dlc in advance, with a discount as an incentive.

Obviously not the case in practice.

This might just be me, but I always assumed a season pass in concept is like paying for all dlc in advance, with a discount as an incentive.

Obviously not the case in practice.

Most times PSN and XBLA sales have the DLC discounted so you can still get it cheaper than the season pass without being forced to commit to unknown quality like rehashed maps.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
arne, how can you guys not have known what tapantaola posted about the DLC issues? There's been a thread in your forum for weeks talking about it. You guys like to say you read your own forum, but sometimes I seriously doubt you do or else this would have been fixed a long time ago. You guys NEED to read what the community is talking about, not just have a monthly Q&A thread where you'll only answer the easy questions and avoid the meatier ones. Not only that, but remember the issues when Flashback #2 came out? Nobody could PLAY on those maps for weeks. You can play on them now once in a while, but now Flashback #1 maps never appear. It's such a mess.

In an ideal world, you would make the DLC maps free and charge people for customization and skins. You won't fragment the player pool, and you'll make money off people wanting new customization items/skins. Believe me, people will eat it up. It's a win-win for everyone.

The FHC was never worth it and I say this as a hardcore MP player. The value in it was a joke and we got worse looking character models from Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 maps I had played for over 2 years with worse aesthetics.

arne, how can you guys not have known what tapantaola posted about the DLC issues? There's been a thread in your forum for weeks talking about it. You guys like to say you read your own forum, but sometimes I seriously doubt you do or else this would have been fixed a long time ago. You guys NEED to read what the community is talking about, not just have a monthly Q&A thread where you'll only answer the easy questions and avoid the meatier ones. Not only that, but remember the issues when Flashback #2 came out? Nobody could PLAY on those maps for weeks. You can play on them now once in a while, but now Flashback #1 maps never appear. It's such a mess.

In an ideal world, you would make the DLC maps free and charge people for customization and skins. You won't fragment the player pool, and you'll make money off people wanting new customization items/skins. Believe me, people will eat it up. It's a win-win for everyone.

The FHC was never worth it and I say this as a hardcore MP player. The value in it was a joke and we got worse looking character models from Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 2 maps I had played for over 2 years with worse aesthetics.
I wish I could kudo your post.

Yagharek

Most times PSN and XBLA sales have the DLC discounted so you can still get it cheaper than the season pass without being forced to commit to unknown quality like rehashed maps.

Good point, but going forward I'm just going to stick to goty editions. Its easy to tell now which games will have one, so a bit of patience gets you more game for a third of the price.

Not to mention that with all that cash they didn't even try to implement anything the community was asking for, like character customization (hell, just colors).

Left U3 MP very disappointed as there was really no incentive to play the same maps that i played on U2 overall, and no trophies at all, which kept me playing U2 longer. TLOU will pay this dishonor with sale price purchase, as much as it pains me.

And I can't agree more with the map stuff. Maps are essentially a meeting point. Split community based on that and you're doing virtual ghettos based on wealth.

Card Boy

Banned

citizen-kane-clapping3ny9c.gif

The problem with the UC3 DLC is that they dragged it out and before the recycled *ahem* maps came; I'd lost interest.

Your loss ND.

How would it matter to the people that bought FHC before March thinking they'd get all upcoming DLC?

you're being deliberately obtuse though.

It feels to me that this DLC addon now; is all about buying bits and pieces (like junior modeller making bits of costume bits) for the characters. Buy if you want; but it don't sound like something substantial. I don't really have a problem with it. If fans want it; sure.

btw. REwrite is still hating on UC3. oh wait its the same old trolls from the UC3 thread.

/snore.

arne made his point and he's right. so yeah.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
:lol You're such an apologist. Always has been and always will be. It's not even worth arguing with you. You're not worth my time.

Top Bottom