• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For March 2017 [Up2: Year to date charts, platform specific charts]

We got a chart for the Wii U, but not the Vita? Can we get one?
Here you go.

0001.png

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I mean, to be fair, do you believe the Xbox One is a success or not? Many believe that the system falling far behind PS4 means it's not a success and you would not really be able to gather that trajectory from debut sales.

This is what people mean when they say "don't read too much into early sales".

I think its a decent success yes. If PS4 had not been in the picture it would be seen in a far more positive light now considering its been keeping pace with 360 in HW sales and even if it wasn't, the ecosystem sales(in digital purchases) angle is far more lucrative now than it was back then to make comparisons to 360's position in the market apples to oranges.

Lol you guys are so salty wtf...

I am not an expert but i believe those countries together represent at least 2/3 of the entire market.

Now looking again at Sonys PR, they said 2.6m sold not 3m.. that's my bad, i really think those numbers might be possible with a very high digital sales ratio. Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time

Your not gonna last much longer if you keep going like this. I think you should cool your jets a bit.

I am not an expert but i believe those countries together represent at least 2/3 of the entire market.

Now looking again at Sonys PR, they said 2.6m sold not 3m.. that's my bad, i really think those numbers might be possible with a very high digital sales ratio. Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time

LMAO that you have the nerve to call us salty. Look in the mirror. How exactly do you know it is any more front-loaded than most AAA games? You seem salty that it's a massive success. 2.6 million in the first 2 weeks so it is WELL over 3 million by now and possibly 4 million. Deal with it.

dracula_x

Wait, are you saying that Sony is lying? :) Are you serious?

Do you really believe that they published false data here → http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2017/170315.html ?

Hey, can I interest any of you guys in a projector?

oSoLucky

I know we talk about it all the time, but has there ever been a AAA game with the same legs that GTA5 has? I know Minecraft charted consistently until recently but that wasn't AAA. I can only remember GTA not being in Top 10 NPD a few times, and those were mostly holiday months.

I know we talk about it all the time, but has there ever been a AAA game with the same legs that GTA5 has? I know Minecraft charted consistently until recently but that wasn't AAA. I can only remember GTA not being in Top 10 NPD a few times, and those were mostly holiday months.

We've never seen anything like GTAVs performance. The games that have sold as much or more are either a fraction of the price available on tablets/phones or given away.

I think its a decent success yes. If PS4 had not been in the picture it would be seen in a far more positive light now considering its been keeping pace with 360 in HW sales and even if it wasn't, the ecosystem sales(in digital purchases) angle is far more lucrative now than it was back then to make comparisons to 360's position in the market apples to oranges.

Well that's good. All that is very sensible. This is why I like you.

I'm surprised Ghost Recon is the topper. The game opened to mediocre reviews and nobody seems to be talking about it both on and outside my internet bubble. Same with For Honor for that matter. I guess a ton of people bought it and traded it in a week later.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Woohoo!!!

I love me some Ubi!!! GRW and For Honor in the top ten is very nice.

Luigiv

If baseball is for the ADD crowd how god damn boring is cricket.

I fell asleep at the only baseball game I've been to.

Don't ask Questions you don't want to know the answers to. :p

How do you figure Wildlands Xbox is above Zelda given ?

I don't know if we have numbers for the other tom clancy launches?

I don't, just speculation. The top three could really be in any permutation.

olag

Anyways, the game was front-loaded af so we won't be discussing it for much more time

And just when I thought this would be a boring predictable thread, looks like we got a new contender for the gauntlet. Lets see how long he lasts......
He is probably trolling

OT: Numbers are pretty much in line with what I thought they would be, although Im still baffled by how well wild lands seems to do.

Curufinwe

A console's success has to be judged on its total sales, and we can't do that or compare it accurately to the 360 because MS hides those numbers for the Xbone.

Curufinwe

If baseball is for the ADD crowd how god damn boring is cricket.

I fell asleep at the only baseball game I've been to.

Cricket can take longer, but doesn't have nearly as much time wasting.

There is much more going on in an average Twenty20 cricket match than an average baseball game, and they both take about 3 hours.

Curufinwe

You seem oddly desperate for Sony to be lying about Horizon's sales figures.

Exquisik

Man this year is giving me so many games to play.
Off the top of my head:
  • NieR: Automata
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Nioh
  • Persona 5
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
  • Bomberman on Switch
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
And I'm currently playing through Horizon so that I can get it off my list.

My list does not have Bomberman and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (have Mario Kart 8 on WiiU), but add Gravity Rush 2 and Yakuza 0 to the list. I finished HZD over the weekend so I can finally cross one game off the list. I don't know what game to play next!

Steveo

Banned
Man this year is giving me so many games to play.
Off the top of my head:
  • NieR: Automata
  • Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Nioh
  • Persona 5
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
  • Bomberman on Switch
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
And I'm currently playing through Horizon so that I can get it off my list.

I've played all of those games, and putting Bomberman and Andromeda in there just seems wrong.

Welfare

August 2017. PS4 will easily top the charts in September assuming there is a mass produced Destiny 2 bundle.

But if Nintendo can get the Smash 4 port in September...

The bump in September is going to be interesting. The Destiny bundle sold 300K in September 2014 and the Taken King bundle sold <173K in September 2015. I think >200K from a D2 bundle is a good guess.

Some people trying to downplay Horizons success is sad to see.

You are the only one sounding salty. Pal threads alone show HZD is having good legs

Horizon deserved way more than that but still happy they performed well within expectations. I mean it was beaten by fucking GTAV!

And who would've known Ghost Recon was this popular... I certainly didn't.

Hero

As explained, Kinect doesn't hit (launch-aligned) until next year...so it'll be a while before Xbox One LTD sales fall behind. But month-to-month, we can see the process starting already. The Xbox One launch-aligned lead over Xbox 360 is about 1.5m right now. This is the smallest it's been since 2015, and it includes a 1.2m advantage from the launch holiday. In other words, in all of 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017, Xbox One has only sold 300k more consoles than Xbox 360...and they've lost almost 500k in ground during the last three months alone.

The gap will go back up this fall/winter due to Scorpio's release, but after that it's liable to be all downhill, increasingly rapidly.

Gotcha. Thanks for the detailed analysis. Definitely not a good outlook for MS, considering this is their strongest market.

PS4.

Not really, Microsoft offered a benchmark of 909,132 systems sold from Nov 22 until the end of the month. I assume NPD's numbers are below that. Meaning the XB1, Switch and PS4 were marginally close to each other in debut months. In fact, the system's were record-setting for their respective platform holders.

The biggest difference is release month. Those were in November 2013. Of course, the Game Boy Advance comparison is apt, as that system went on sale in the US in June 2011.

Yeah, it's moreso the month that's surprising, considering there were a lot of people that said launching outside holiday was crazy.

Toni

August 2017. PS4 will easily top the charts in September assuming there is a mass produced Destiny 2 bundle.

PS4 wont be topped after August, period.

Its got Gran Turismo coming, then Spiderman, Red Dead Redemption 2, Star Wars, Destiny 2 and Call of Duty.

Literally nothing stops Sony this fall.

Top Bottom