• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Festival of Blood and First Light are not full games. Not even remotely close.

I don't want them to ditch the morality system entirely, but I think you should just choose Hero or Villain at the very start of the game and have two really distinct campaigns that don't overlap hardly at all. That way the main character can be fully developed into one role or the other without constantly questioning how they should react in a given situation when everybody goes through trying to max one karma or the other right from the start anyway because it is the most beneficial from a story and gameplay perspective.

I love the infamous series, but the first one was definitely the most interesting story and atmosphere wise. The soundtrack was freaking amazing too.

labaronx

Id love a resistance remaster collection on ps4 with all 3 campaigns, parts of the multi from 1 and 2 and all of 3 with 2s coop mode...

Longshot i know

A reminder that Sony's earnings report comes out this Friday. We'll get an update on the hardware sales and possibly an update on how some games have sold (most notably Horizon).

Wasn't there a preview saying they turned up major profit last week?

Yep

Sony's shares popped on Monday after the company raised its earnings outlook and analysts said the company could hit profit levels not seen in 20 years.

The Japanese electronic giant's stock closed 3.84 percent higher in Tokyo.

On Friday after the market close, Sony raised its earnings outlook for the fiscal year ended March 31. It said operating income would be 285 billion yen ($2.6 billion), up from a previous forecast of 240 billion yen. Pre-tax profit is expected to come in at 250 billion yen, up from February's forecast of 196 billion yen.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/24/sony-shares-earnings-guidance-forecast.html

FelipeMGM

Just saw that Bayo 3 was teased, and Kamiya has been "free"

Sony get on dat.

For Bayo 3 nah, thats a SEGA IP and its not really worth to fund something like this I think

For a new project with Kamiya as director, sure

Wasn't there a preview saying they turned up major profit last week?

Yeah. And not only that, this might be the highest profit Sony and the PlayStation division has generated in a fiscal year since 1998

Yeah. And not only that, this might be the highest profit Sony and the PlayStation division has generated in a fiscal year since 1998

It's actually really amazing to see just how much Kaz has turned the company around. I know there's a meme surrounding him and everything, but I don't think anyone expected him to be this successful.

It would be so dope if they just did infamous and got rid of that awful moral system and just had Delsin got full super hero in the near future.

Get rid of that serious tone and have some fun; help some people, save some lives or save a crashing airplane or something. That's my main gripe with sucker punch. They have to think out of the box more and lighten up.

Anybody feel this way?

Nah. Ditch it and make the player a hero…with Delsin as the main villain, having absorbed the powers of every conduit in Curdun Cay. Bring back Cole (Delsin tries to absorb his powers and just ends up reviving him). Go full comic book with the shit.

Delsin's infamous ending was brutal, I need that to be canon. And Cole is the hero we deserve. Plus, the female character from the Paper Trail DLC who's name escapes me would be a great tragic villain.

*sigh* I'm excited for whatever Suckerpunch's next project is, but I really wish we could get that game. A final title that makes Cole's hero ending and Delsin's infamous one canon would be amazing.

The apocalypse is still wholly present
Hmm how do we differentiate apocalypse and post post apocalypse then?
Ah I wasn't imagining it then. Good stuff sony
For Bayo 3 nah, thats a SEGA IP and its not really worth to fund something like this I think

For a new project with Kamiya as director, sure
If they're going to fund an external studio to create a new major IP
a JRPG preferrably
, I'd rather they contract Atlus since everyone is hot on persona 5 right now
though they should have been a long time ago

Personally, I don't think inFamous has reached its peak potential as both a franchise and game... Their games have always been less dense than other open-world peers, and the systems they employ less complex than other RPG equivalents that do the good-evil thing.

I could easily see a next-gen inFamous that dives deeper into the open-world sandbox with far greater scale of powers diversity, mix-up, systems interplay & destructions on top of significant evolution of underlying narrative systems like a deeper, more nuanced morality system.

That being said, I would rather a new IP.

The God

Why not? Nintendo seems to be doing fine using the same franchises for decades straight and people like it no complaints there

Uh, I'm not a fan of anyone sticking with the same IP for so long if its not growing in any significant way

I'm just saying I'd wanna see something totally new rather than babysteps towards what Infamous COULD be

If infamous was to come back the morality system needs to be completely overhauled or gotten rid of. It's just an annoyance.

As someone stated just let us pick good or evil from the start kinda like old school Resident Evil games does with characters (maybe new RE does this too, I wouldn't know).

Maybe they could alter it so that you get full Evil/Good powers once you pass over the moral line in the middle. That way if you decide you want good powers for a mission just do a couple good deeds or if you need evil, just go fuck some shit up.

Some Nobody

Nah. Ditch it and make the player a hero...with Delsin as the main villain, having absorbed the powers of every conduit in Curdun Cay. Bring back Cole (Delsin tries to absorb his powers and just ends up reviving him). Go full comic book with the shit.

Delsin's infamous ending was brutal, I need that to be canon. And Cole is the hero we deserve. Plus, the female character from the Paper Trail DLC who's name escapes me would be a great tragic villain.

*sigh* I'm excited for whatever Suckerpunch's next project is, but I really wish we could get that game. A final title that makes Cole's hero ending and Delsin's infamous one canon would be amazing.

Nah I'm straight. I don't give a shit about Cole. His world was so dark and depressing while Delsin really felt like I was a legit superhero.

Second Son was so good. The only thing holding it back was that it was too short. City needed to be just a little bit bigger, slightly more interactive, with more stuff to do in it. Take that, give us some more powers and maybe make the final boss a mid boss and add some even bigger, more shadowy leader at the top with more powers than the few you got and you've got a classic. It's a shame they never took it further.

Hot Cole >>>>>>>>>> Cole >>> Delsin.
fixed

8037.cole.jpg-610x0.jpg

A tragic loss.

MCD250

I've enjoyed the inFamous games a lot (inFamous 1, I think, was the first game I ever bought digitally, and I bought 2 pretty much the moment I became aware of it), but I feel like if the series were to come back it'd be good if Sucker Punch beefed up a bit in the narrative and storytelling departments, maybe hire some solid writers who are skilled in telling compelling stories in the medium as well as crafting engaging quests and content. Kinda like Guerrilla did for Horizon, basically.

I mean, it feels like Sony are reeeeally big on pushing videogames as a medium to tell "mature", compelling stories these days (as a sidenote, I wonder if this may not be at least partially the influence of Shawn Layden, as I've read interviews with him that seem to indicate that he's passionate about those types of games). By "mature" I don't necessarily mean stories that deal with serious or "adult" subject matter, but rather stories that exhibit a certain level of craftsmanship and presentation. For example, I'd consider much of the storytelling in the Uncharted games to be mature, despite the fact that those games deliberately attempt to replicate the sense of pulpy, whimsical lightheartedness of old adventure serials. They're very effective at doing that, and that requires a certain level of insight, skill and craftsmanship that I think many game developer would like to achieve.

And inFamous, well...they're very fun games, and Sucker Punch are masters at creating cool gameplay and traversal mechanics, but in terms of narrative and storytelling, I think they've always felt a bit simple and almost "juvenile", to a degree. Not "juvenile" in the sense that they're crude or what have you, but rather that they've never been as rich or engaging as they could be, as what the best examples of the medium (and Sony's own catalog of games) have shown is possible. I feel like if you set your mind to it, you could tell some really interesting science fiction stories within the inFamous framework, perhaps stories that explored the nature of the main character(s) and the good/evil dichotomy a little more in depth, or even stories that embraced the more meta aspects of the games' superhero concept and comic book style presentation. I feel like if they got some really good, smart writers, they could really squeeze some gold out of that setting and world that they've created.

I don't know, it's just some thoughts. I feel like videogames evolve extremely quickly these days, not just in terms of the technology involved but also in terms of concept, writing and presentation. To the point that even games that came out a mere 6-10 years ago can feel a bit "dated" in that aspect too, not just from a graphical or technological standpoint. It'd be great to see more gaming franchises like this one change and evolve along with the rest of the industry. God of War seems to be trying it, why not others too?

Zukkoyaki

Story:
Infamous 1 > Infamous 2 > Second Son

Gameplay:
Second Son > Infamous 2 > Infamous 1

Villains:
Infamous 1 > Infamous 2 > Second Son

Protagonist:
Delsin > Cole

Infamous 2 was probably the best complete package but Infamous 1 is my personal favorite. I have incredibly fond memories of that game. I was also a fan of Second Son. The gameplay and traversal in it were sublime.

I feel ya. The "morality" system in Second Son was a joke. I enjoyed and thought the game was great in spite of it. But they do need to go fully on a linear path and just embrace the super hero nature of those games.

Yea, I remember getting an ending I know I didn't deserve, lol.

I just hope they embrace whatever it is they are doing. Bring something new to the table. I know that might not be fair, but all eyes are on them now....

I honestly just want a continuation of Cole's story, Second Son was wasted potential after 2's ending and the fact that they didn't even reference it was hugely disappointing.

inFamous: The Cole Saga by BluePoint Games & inFamous 3 by Sucker Punch would be awesome.

....I hope they bring it man. If they did 3, I can see em going all out. If they are doing something new.. I just hope they learned from their previous games and try to make a fresh experience. No concern, just hope they knock it outta the park.

black070

Nah. Ditch it and make the player a hero…with Delsin as the main villain, having absorbed the powers of every conduit in Curdun Cay. Bring back Cole (Delsin tries to absorb his powers and just ends up reviving him). Go full comic book with the shit.

I actually had the exact same thought when I completed the game, the Cole hero ending and the Delsin evil ending would go together so incredibly well. Cole coming back to take on Delsin would be so damn hype !

I don't think there was anything special about Cole. I can't really describe his personality, whereas I can at least peg Delsin's. I always cringe when Cole chuckles in the second game, "Heh, penal code."

I thought the second's story was pretty decent and had two good endings, and the first had a lot of good mystery too.

The audio drops in the first and second were actually very interesting, especially the second game's. Second Son's audio files weren't at all, honestly; there was just nothing compelling about listening to what the tribe was saying to the DUP. The only one I really remember was the last one where he talks about other powers existing.

The gameplay felt very good in Second Son, but I think what it was missing were powers that felt spectacular. What I mean by that is: being able to blow a big gust of electricity that rolls over cars or creating a field that picks up cars so you can throw them like in the second game, that all felt fantastic. There weren't a lot of powers that felt like I was out of control in the third besides the normal finishers which I believe were already in the first.

Shredderi

Cole was very generic in many ways that it surprised me to notice that I did like him more than Delsin who had the potential to be a lot more unique. I kind of cared about Cole's journey but not Delsin's. Also, Cole's powers had a lot more OOMPH. His missiles and grenades etc. felt more bombastic and his tornado ability in IF2 was better than any ability in Second Son. I also liked the ability to pick up stuff with the magnetize ability and hurl them towards enemies. In retrospect Second Son was a step back in so many ways except graphics.

Icelaunch is still the best mobility move in the series. All the over the top ways to quickly traverse the map in Second Son kind of trivialized it for me in comparison.

dr_rus

My bet would be on them porting GoW games from PS3 to PS4 prior to GoW4 launch. Infamous is pretty much dead now as well as Killzone so it makes little sense to bring them over right now. Motorstorm is an arcade racer, I doubt that it will ever be ported to PS4.

Lucy Kuo > Everyone and everything

The chick who ended up being bitch-made? lol nah. Nix and Fetch>>>>

Vampire I2 dlc / standalone game and ISS' First Light dlc / standalone game.

2 DLC's that were marketed as standalone hardly counts as 2 full games, even though I loved First Light. Paper Trail was fire too, and I'm not counting it as a full game either. Nor is anyone else, really, which kinda proves my point.

I actually liked Delsin, I just preferred playing as Cole. He had the cooler powerset and traversing felt better as him. Plus, he felt like the more natural hero, gruff voice/appearance and all. And I thought Delsin seemed more interesting when he was a dick. I think surrounding him with conduits that he may or may not have at least somewhat corrupted, like Fetch and Celia, would be dope (even though the both of them were pretty much made what they are by the time he finds them). They're already pretty sympathetic characters that could benefit from being focused on a bit more in a sequel. The game would need to be longer than Second Son in order to give them all enough screen time though.

This is all pointless, I know SP is doing a new IP. I just really love the inFamous series. My love for superheroes and comics in general probably biases me lol

Top Bottom