• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's Windows 10 "Game Mode" is bullshit and actually makes games perform worse

Jigolo

Linus Tech Tips

Minimum frame rates took a huge blow when Game Mode was turned on. Average frame rate hovered around the same number or was 2-3 frames lower or higher in the different games and set ups tested.

Games Tested:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Gears of War 4
Ashes of the Singularity

Why would Microsoft include such a terrible feature in the creators update? Seems like another case of Microsoft's lying PR. This feels like The Cloud 2.0. Back when it was first announced in October I was hoping this mode would take some of the system resources (like it says in the blog post) to help run the games better but it did nothing or made games worse.

bM9uidR.png

GQG7Phf.png

wqEGdw3.png

vPl1Kwi.png

Don't use this feature

nynt9

Yeah, it's a joke. We had earlier threads with other benchmarks that showed negative results as well. Some people defending it claim that the best benefit is with supposed to be with UWP games but that's clearly not the case either.

Durante

This is not what i expected.

(What I expected was basically doing nothing in 95% of all cases with well set up systems, and marginal improvements in the other 5%)

I5 + 1060 playing GOW4 should probably use this feature. It's clearly not relevant for most gamers, but it improved at least one game for one mainstream setup.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I was expecting small improvements in the minimums and little to no change in the averages. They done fucked up.

I have it on good authority that waiting for //build/ will solve this and every other issue that Microsoft currently has with their PC gaming push.

Its such a weird result, I almost wonder if their internal testing just had them looking at average framerates instead of the minimums, otherwise why even push this out?

Also, it's things like these that makes Microsoft look like fools and they loose their credibility. So they have to go to Digital Foundary for their console hardware reveal as no one will take them seriously. They need to get their shit together.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Also, it's things like these that makes Microsoft look like fools and they loose their credibility. So they have to go to Digital Foundary for their console hardware reveal as no one will take them seriously. They need to get their shit together.

lol you guys are trying real hard

Expected in a ms thread

nynt9

Seriously though, how did Microsoft fuck this up so badly? How did they decide this is a shippable feature.

"Once again Microsoft proves that they are still PC gaming poison."

Amazing when you consider they were one of the premiere PC gaming publishers at one point (Long, long ago).

Microsoft released a feature that was supposed to improve gaming performance but it actually reduces minimum fps. Just shows how clueless they are. Why should anyone trust them?

Because it doesn't improve every game for everyone, no one in any use case should have this feature because "trust".

nynt9

Because it doesn't improve every game for everyone, no one in any use case should have this feature because "trust".

Every single benchmark of this feature has shown it to either provide no meaningful improvement or reduce performance. The OP isn't the only benchmark on this. The feature, so far, is an abject failure.

What the fuck is the point in having this if it even makes games run worse.

I mean, in this state develop this has been literally Microsoft burning money.

Every single benchmark of this feature has shown it to either provide no meaningful improvement or reduce performance. The OP isn't the only benchmark on this. The feature, so far, is an abject failure.

20% FPS boost for an I5 + 1060 on GOW4 according to OP charts.

so the average of the 1 in a 1000th worst frames with perform worse...

Not sure that this is the metric to put a final judgement on game mode, I want to see other tests, "lost frames" on different setups and different graphic settings. Framepacing at lower settings and higher framerates.
Haven't looked into this whole game mode stuff yet.

Par Score

I'm shocked, shocked!

It's so unlike Microsoft to release a half-assed games feature for Windows. Truly unprecedented.

Kieli

How dare you besmirch the good name of Microsoft! I will not stand for this as a chivalrous knight of the Green.

Onwards, friends, for we shall smite thee upon the ruins of the mountainside.

Fuck Windows 10. Piece of shit malware disguised as software.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is disappointing. At least W10 isn't terrible for games in its own right. As long as Steam still work and my performance isn't neutered then I'm fine.

OBias

Microsoft should not have any control over PC gaming, this has to be clear to everyone by now. Too bad SteamOS isn't taking over.

6 fps in one case in one configuration is a marginal improvement.

Curious, why have you never participated in PC gaming threads until now? Seems like you're mainly interested in Xbox according to your history.

I have an I5 with a GTX 1080 and a Rift headset. Does that grant me access to PC gaming topics? Who do I ask permission from?

Majine

Banned
Jesus, the OP sounds angry lol. The feature is brand new. Relax. I'm sure it will improve over time.

Uhm what? It's a feature that is available for consumers on Windows 10. Not Insider Previews mind you, the official builds...

That says it does one thing but in most cases does the opposite.

There are no excuses. Pull it from the OS and put it back in Preview state if it isn't ready.

LordOfChaos

Which is exactly why I play games on OSX

I think this is sarcasm...Right?

macOS is still losing 30-50% of a GPUs performance over Windows, not in a wrapper, but in native games. Even when Microsoft is breaking things, that performance gap isn't nullified.

windows-boot-camp-egpu-1080-ti-benchmarks-vs-macos2.jpg

So they have Metal, but AAA games don't seem to be using it, while their 6 year old OpenGL version is one of the highest overhead graphics APIs on modern platforms.

I'm one of those rare dudes gaming on a 15" rMBP too, but I always go to Boot Camp to do so. Even DX11 wipes the floor with the same hardware on macOS.

nynt9

I have an I5 with a GTX 1080 and a Rift headset. Does that grant me access to PC gaming topics? Who do I ask permission from?

Hey, my bad. I've just had poor experiences with previous threads on UWP/win10. I'll apologize for coming at you like that.

I think this is sarcasm...Right?

macOS is still losing 30-50% of a GPUs performance over Windows, not in a wrapper, but in native games.

windows-boot-camp-egpu-1080-ti-benchmarks-vs-macos2.jpg

Apple's OpenGL support is really poor unfortunately.

Do we know what, exactly, Game Mode does?

We know in terms of effects - what causes this?

We discussed this a while ago.

This mode reserves cores to the OS. So, on one side there's never some background activity that steals CPU from the game, no hitching, because the OS reserves most resources for the game, and they are 100% there. On the other side it also means an amount of total CPU is always lost because it's reserved for the OS.

It's basically the way the Xbox works.

Top Bottom